Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Kwyndig posted:

The agreement on the kindle store states that Amazon may remove access to books under certain circumstances. I've only heard of it happening once because the person selling the book didn't actually have the rights to sell the book.

Oh, it sounded like amazon was actively revoking books as if right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zola
Jul 22, 2005

What do you mean "impossible"? You're so
cruel, Roger Smith...

jivjov posted:

Wait...what's amazon doing to people's e books? This is the first I've heard about this.

Moving the discussion to the chat thread.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Kwyndig posted:

The agreement on the kindle store states that Amazon may remove access to books under certain circumstances. I've only heard of it happening once because the person selling the book didn't actually have the rights to sell the book.

The hilarious part was that the book in question was 1984.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Just jumping in to endorse Patricia Briggs and Rob Thurman (again).

Briggs' books skirt the "oh god relationships" line, but manages not to cross it thus far.

Thurman's series (Cal and Niko) isn't great literature by any stretch, but it's solidly entertaining. Kind of like a book version of the show Supernatural, but with better (more likeable) characters.

So...read the books yo!

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
Just finished Greywalker #1, and yeah it was actually pretty good, I can easily see myself reading more of this - especially if this is the worst book in the series - it's way more solid than Storm Front was. I also like that the main character actually acts like a person being introduced to all this poo poo might, instead of immediately becoming some stoic supernatural rear end-kicking badass in less than one book.

Though, I admit that for or a moment there I was worried that there would be a love triangle with Quinton and Will, but it thankfully turned out to be a false alarm.

KellHound
Jul 23, 2007

I commend my soul to any god that can find it.
In case anyone is interested I'm gonna have ten copies of the booklet with all my Dresden Files drawings at Emerald City Comic Con in Seattle. They are free if you ask for it and I still have one left. I'll be at exhibitor table 1008. All the drawings are posted here http://www.sorcery101.net/grave-peril/ and I'll probably start up doing them again in May.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

KellHound posted:

In case anyone is interested I'm gonna have ten copies of the booklet with all my Dresden Files drawings at Emerald City Comic Con in Seattle. They are free if you ask for it and I still have one left. I'll be at exhibitor table 1008. All the drawings are posted here http://www.sorcery101.net/grave-peril/ and I'll probably start up doing them again in May.

I'm not kidding when I say I'd pay for a print of that Harry/Michael color picture. I'm pretty sure I said that last time you posted it too. I think it's a perfect capture of that scene.

I'm in Oklahoma so I'm not gonna be in Seattle to pick one up. If you want to sell a mid-sized print (8x10 or 11x14 ish) for like $20, make a thread over in SA-Mart and link it here. All sales on SA have to be through SA-Mart.

KellHound
Jul 23, 2007

I'm real sorry man, but I don't feel right selling someone else's copyrighted characters. That's why the booklets are free.

Email me though and I'll send you a high res file of that pic. You can bring it to kinkos or where ever and print it yourself.
That goes to anyone else who wants one too. sorcery101 at gmail dot com

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

I'll be at the con, will try to stop by to pick one up!

why oh WHY
Apr 25, 2012

So like I said, not my fault. Nobody can judge me for it.
But, yeah...
Okay.
I admit it.
Human teenager Rainbow Dash was hot!

KellHound posted:

I'm real sorry man, but I don't feel right selling someone else's copyrighted characters. That's why the booklets are free.

Email me though and I'll send you a high res file of that pic. You can bring it to kinkos or where ever and print it yourself.
That goes to anyone else who wants one too. sorcery101 at gmail dot com

You could try contacting Jim, he seems like he actually pays attention to what his fans say and write so you'd probably be able to get in touch with him. I totally would be willing to pay for a nice Dresden art book, one from each book would be awesome showcasing some the important scenes and then have it interspersed with some sketches. I'd pay like 50-75$ for each book for something that awesome.
Seriously though try contacting him you never know.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

I'm sure Jim is ok with turning a blind eye to giving away a fan made booklet, but you do cross a line once you start charging money. On the FATE the kickstarter, they mention needing to pay around $20K in licensing fees for the Dresden Files Accelerated edition.

KellHound
Jul 23, 2007

gninjagnome posted:

I'm sure Jim is ok with turning a blind eye to giving away a fan made booklet, but you do cross a line once you start charging money. On the FATE the kickstarter, they mention needing to pay around $20K in licensing fees for the Dresden Files Accelerated edition.

Honestly, I'd like to keep it free and finically it's paid off cause it has gotten me a job doing art for an rpg book and some people have commissioned me to draw a Harry. It's also gotten a few Dresden fans to start buying/reading my comic. I'm gonna try to start making time to do Summer Knight book in may/june and maybe add a coupon code to my store to that if someone is buying something and wants a booklet I can just throw it in with their order.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

why oh WHY posted:

You could try contacting Jim, he seems like he actually pays attention to what his fans say and write so you'd probably be able to get in touch with him. I totally would be willing to pay for a nice Dresden art book, one from each book would be awesome showcasing some the important scenes and then have it interspersed with some sketches. I'd pay like 50-75$ for each book for something that awesome.
Seriously though try contacting him you never know.

You're basically describing the Subterranean Press editions of the Dresden Files books.

why oh WHY
Apr 25, 2012

But, yeah...
Okay.
I admit it.

Ornamented Death posted:

You're basically describing the Subterranean Press editions of the Dresden Files books.

I didn't realize that those existed and after looking them up I find that I want them but that they were sold in a limited release and I can't really find them. Unless I am an idiot and missed them because I am on my phone on the Internet.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

You can get Death Masks and Side Jobs from the publisher, though the former will probably sell out in a few weeks. Backup and Summer Knight can still be found on eBay for roughly cover price if you have a bit of patience, though the latter is going to start rising in price pretty soon.

If you have a very large stack of money and/or the patience of a saint, you might be able to get the first three books. I'm not even kidding here, Storm Front pops up like once every six months and goes for $400 or more.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I'm just waiting for all the books to come out so I can get the box set.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

GreenNight posted:

I'm just waiting for all the books to come out so I can get the box set.

Well, we're at book 14 of 23, and they release about every 12-18 months, so you might have a while yet.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

computer parts posted:

Well, we're at book 14 of 23, and they release about every 12-18 months, so you might have a while yet.

Oh I know. When I was 15 I was waiting for the Wheel of Time box set. I just got book 5 :suicide:

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Do publishers actually release boxed sets that large? I know with WoT there have been smaller sets (three books) on the market for years, and I know you can get all the Harry Potter books in a boxed set, but that's the largest series I can think of where that's possible.

why oh WHY
Apr 25, 2012

But, yeah...
Okay.
I admit it.

Ornamented Death posted:

Do publishers actually release boxed sets that large? I know with WoT there have been smaller sets (three books) on the market for years, and I know you can get all the Harry Potter books in a boxed set, but that's the largest series I can think of where that's possible.

I saw Dresden in boxed but it was only three books at a time.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

I think they also rereleased Dresden as omnibuses. The WoT boxed set would come in a large chest.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

computer parts posted:

I can see him doing another short story collection along with Side Jobs to round it off to a less awkward number. And also because I haven't been able to check out the Bigfoot stories, and haven't heard any new details of the Molly story in a while.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Illuyankas posted:

I can see him doing another short story collection along with Side Jobs to round it off to a less awkward number. And also because I haven't been able to check out the Bigfoot stories, and haven't heard any new details of the Molly story in a while.

It's only weird like that because he's doing an end trilogy along with 20 regular books. Those last 3 would probably be its own set anyway.

Thalamas
Dec 5, 2003

Sup?
I'm rereading the series after Cold Days and just read the first meeting between Cowl, Kumori, and Dresden; he remarks that they are the ones who gave the athame to the Leanansidhe. Cowl says, "A great many things of significance happened that night. Most of which you are not yet aware."

Wow.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!
Has anyone here read the Delilah Street urban fantasy novels by Carole Nelson Douglas? Someone at work recommended them to me as "good if you like Dresden". I remember enjoying some of Douglas's straight fantasy back in the day, but then she moved into those twee "cat-solves-the-murder" mysteries so I've been afraid of her ever since.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Illuyankas posted:

He has said he plans on at least 1 more short story package for things like the Bigfoots, a lake monster, AAA Wizardy, the Marcone short, and another novella. The Molly story is contingent on GRRM getting his short story written, the anthology assembled and edited, and then like 10 months for the usual publishing process.

Given condition 1 there, it could be until a few years past the conclusion of the capstone trilogy before it is out.

See Also: Dance with Dragons

Thalamas posted:

I'm rereading the series after Cold Days and just read the first meeting between Cowl, Kumori, and Dresden; he remarks that they are the ones who gave the athame to the Leanansidhe. Cowl says, "A great many things of significance happened that night. Most of which you are not yet aware."

Wow.

Dude, wait until you read the Odin-Harry and Uriel-Harry scene in Changes now. It is so drat clear that they were trying to tell him what was happening without outright saying what was happening. I seriously think he must have written out the dialogue of telling Harry flat out, and then progressively edited it to make it opaque because it lines up so well. It is a really impressive bit of writing craft that isn't apparent until you have the second book.

Fried Chicken fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Mar 4, 2013

why oh WHY
Apr 25, 2012

But, yeah...
Okay.
I admit it.

Fried Chicken posted:

The Molly story is contingent on GRRM getting his short story written, the anthology assembled and edited, and then like 10 months for the usual publishing process.

Given condition 1 there, it could be until a few years past the conclusion of the capstone trilogy before it is out.

poo poo. Can that man finish anything other than a trencher of chicken wings?

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

GRRM can finish football games in his recliner.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Virigoth posted:

GRRM can finish football games in his recliner.

Except when he nods off halfway through.

why oh WHY
Apr 25, 2012

But, yeah...
Okay.
I admit it.

VanSandman posted:

Except when he nods off halfway through.

Or passes into a diabetic coma.

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007
:D
Jim Butcher's doing a Steampunk trilogy.

why oh WHY
Apr 25, 2012

But, yeah...
Okay.
I admit it.

This sounds awesome. Even though I'd like him to work more on Dresden I enjoy reading most anything written by him.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I wouldn't be surprised if he plans on writing one Steampunk, one Dresden, another Steampunk, another Dresden, etc.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Jim Butcher posted:

“It’s kinda League of Extraordinary Gentlemen meets Sherlock meets Hornblower. There are goggles and airships and steam power and bizarre crystal technology and talking cats, who are horrid little bullies.”

Oh my yes. This is going to be wonderful.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
So cats are assholes in pretty much every Butcher book? I know he's a dog person, but wow :jerkbag:

Nevhix
Nov 18, 2006

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.
Well it seems like he wants some part of his work grounded in reality then. (I say this as a cat lover and cat caretaker)

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Seriously, cats are mean mother fuckers.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

404GoonNotFound posted:

So cats are assholes in pretty much every Butcher book? I know he's a dog person, but wow :jerkbag:

Which rear end in a top hat cats are you referring to?

Mister? Mister is not so much an rear end in a top hat as a realistically written cat. I'm not really a cat person but I live with a cat person and our cat is like a tiny Mister, right down to the shoulder block when I come in the door, and the scowling at things from the top of bookshelves, and being generally awesome. Apart from attacking the cleaning fairies, I can't think of anything assholeish Mister has really done (and really, what cat wouldn't attack a tiny thing that makes high-pitched noises?)

Cat Sith? He's a pretty big rear end in a top hat. But he's also lived in Winter his whole life, and it looks like living in Winter makes you an rear end in a top hat in about 2 minutes.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

AlphaDog posted:

Cat Sith? He's a pretty big rear end in a top hat. But he's also lived in Winter his whole life, and it looks like living in Winter makes you an rear end in a top hat in about 2 minutes.

Other than Mister, I can't even think of any cats in the Dresden books other than Cat Sith and Grimalkin, who are both, as you say, Winter critters.

Were there any cats in the Alera books at all?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TenaciousJ
Dec 31, 2008

Clown move bro
I think some of Max's furies were described like lions.

• Locked thread