Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Finally picked up Conveyor's album. So loving good plus they'll be in town this weekend for a $5 show. Saw Tame Impala over the weekend and Grizzly Bear is April 1! Going to be a good month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

WASDF posted:

this guy has that record and you don't

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7MvuLy8MYE

This is beautiful. I think I might have to start picking up records like and twirling around between my fingers.

I got the reissued TMBG Factory Showroom, which I believe is on vinyl for the first time. It sounds pretty decent overall and has the hidden track from the CD on the B side, which is pretty cool.
I also picked up the 7'' Other Thing Brass Band they did and it's great.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Drive OST being reissued by Mondo with new cover art by Tyler Stout, I expect this to sell out within minutes but you never know - most Mondo vinyl sales last but this is Drive and Tyler Stout.

http://pitchfork.com/news/49770-check-out-the-awesome-new-cover-by-artist-tyler-stout-for-the-drive-soundtrack-vinyl-reissue/

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Vintersorg posted:

Drive OST being reissued by Mondo with new cover art by Tyler Stout, I expect this to sell out within minutes but you never know - most Mondo vinyl sales last but this is Drive and Tyler Stout.

http://pitchfork.com/news/49770-check-out-the-awesome-new-cover-by-artist-tyler-stout-for-the-drive-soundtrack-vinyl-reissue/

What's that? I didn't hear you over me listening to that goddamn soundtrack since like a year ago.

Seriously, what took them this long? And the pink vinyl isn't even standard?

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

I can't hear either of you over the real Drive soundtrack.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
I can't hear you over me taking a drive

*recedes into the distance*

*honks*

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

She thinks I'm a haughty!

So I don't like Tyler Stout's art or over paying for an OST. Why can't America just have the normal version the UK gets??

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Blendy posted:

So I don't like Tyler Stout's art or over paying for an OST. Why can't America just have the normal version the UK gets??

I don't like the art at all, but 25 bucks isn't too crazy.

If you can get to it before it sells out.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

WASDF posted:

this guy has that record and you don't

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7MvuLy8MYE

Look at him touching the playing surface and everything.

Blendy posted:

The UK release was 40 bucks plus international shipping (which came out to a little over 50 dollars). This is cheaper.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Mar 4, 2013

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up
Found the limited edition AMOK at my record shop Saturday night, and since it was the first Saturday of the month I got it for 20% off :drum:

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

I see that or threw people off. I don't like the art (US release) or over paying for an OST (UK + import). While I love the soundtrack I'm not willing to deal with Mondo's bs that will sell out in minutes and be flipped and can't justify the import when I have the soundtrack in iTunes.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Blendy posted:

I see that or threw people off. I don't like the art (US release) or over paying for an OST (UK + import). While I love the soundtrack I'm not willing to deal with Mondo's bs that will sell out in minutes and be flipped and can't justify the import when I have the soundtrack in iTunes.

It's not over paying if you think it's worth it. I recently bought the Invada release because I figured that Mondo just wasn't going to get around to it. And if they did, I didn't want to gently caress around with all the Mondo related bullshit like you mentioned.

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

CPL593H posted:

It's not over paying if you think it's worth it. I recently bought the Invada release because I figured that Mondo just wasn't going to get around to it. And if they did, I didn't want to gently caress around with all the Mondo related bullshit like you mentioned.

Sure it's all relative, but something like this I just figure America should get a standard version not done by some joke like Mondo. If I'm importing from the UK it's going to be Dirty Beaches 7 and 10 inches no released in America at all.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

The Human Cow posted:

Found the limited edition AMOK at my record shop Saturday night, and since it was the first Saturday of the month I got it for 20% off :drum:

Sweet deal! Now you should flip it and maximize its utility.

I got my copy in the mail today. I have to commend the guy who packed it- it might be the most overprotected piece of vinyl I've ever received. It took me a solid 10 minutes to cut through all of the packing tape and multiple layers of cardboard and bubble wrap. I expected the discs to be etched, the way they looked in the promos, but I'm not super bummed that they aren't. The gatefold is loving gorgeous- probably tied with Hot Sauce Committee: Pt 2 (RIP MCA) for 'nicest physical package' among the stuff in my collection. I'm quite sure it's the thickest, outside of the boxed concert/classical/opera/retrospective stuff that I have.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Blendy posted:

Sure it's all relative, but something like this I just figure America should get a standard version not done by some joke like Mondo.

I agree with this whole heatedly.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Just put up another copy of Lovage, if anyone's interested.

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

:fella:Life is overwhelming:fella:

Farts Domino posted:

Never got around to playing the game but the soundtrack is done by two members of Friends of Dean Martinez so I still want it.

Oh woah, no wonder the soundtrack is good.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Hahahaha go gently caress yourself, I knew this was gonna happen.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Just received my copy of Autechre's newest, Exai. The Designers Republic did an awesome job with the packaging. It's actually a 4XLP box, but I ran out of room on my chair.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Golly gee I thought you only had one copy to auction last time? Nahhhhh I'm gassing it, shill your poo poo elsewhere.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
He bought like 6 of them for a penny. Just sell them for a reasonable price to people in the vinyl thread where you know it's people that really just want to, you know, listen to it.

I just want some Lovage :smith:

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I think if he was just like "Here is these records, I have six, $40 each." No one would care.

It's the fact that he's auctioning them off one by one to drive the price up. Ugh.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Blast Fantasto posted:

I think if he was just like "Here is these records, I have six, $40 each." No one would care.

It's the fact that he's auctioning them off one by one to drive the price up. Ugh.
Yeah, this is really the offensive part, combined with this obviously bullshit attempt to imply it was a one-time thing and not just an attempt to maximize profits:

Giant loving Douche posted:

I recently acquired a few copies of the title record, and while personal friends and relatives have already put in requests for copies, I need some money to help pay off a traffic ticket.
Ah yes, I know that my grandma has been yearning to own this album on vinyl for years.

edit: also, at the time of the first auction, it went for $125 when there were 2 available on discogs for about $100, that kind of grated too.

het fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Mar 5, 2013

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
The way I was seeing it, it was a pay-off for digging through stacks of Herb Alpert, Moog classical, country Christmas compilations, and other crap.
I auctioned them off because it seemed the easiest way to, every once in a while, turn an absolutely amazing find at a store charging $40 for a copy of Nevermind into a useful piece of my month's rent, without making anyone pay more than they felt the record was worth, or losing out on part of that potential rent.

It seems I misrepresented how many of the records I was planning to sell, since I said "I don't have enough to supply everyone who wants a copy". I didn't; at least four people in the thread said something like "Hey, would you like to sell that to me?", I got PMs to that effect, a friend I hadn't heard from in a couple of years contacted me on Facebook asking for a copy. My sister wanted a copy, and she doesn't even have a record player (so I got her the CD version instead).
I understand that piecing them out "once in a while" drives up the demand; to be honest, I was thinking of the Lovage records as golden eggs, something to cover my rear end in case I made some really stupid bids on ebay.

This made me come off as a flippin' scumbag. Sorry, everybody.

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

Oh come on is this thread going to derail into wah-wah privileged record collecting baby tantrums every time someone sells a rare record? The world isn't fair and you don't deserve a record just cause you'll 'appreciate it more than someone else'. Dude lucked out and found several copies of Lovage for next to nothing. Can any of you honestly say you would have only bought one copy and left the rest for 'fellow collectors who deserve this'? Honestly? Literally in the thread earlier someone basically said it's not over paying if you think it's worth it. So if you don't think the price this will reach in auction is worth it than don't join in and don't whine. Markets dictate value it's just a fact. Stop slamming a guy for his luck.

I just bought a record from Darthemed and he gave me a good price. Dudes fine, seriously check your privilege and if you want to ignore him ignore him but there's zero reason to dogpile on him.

BTW his original post was this:

Darthemed posted:

Since I don't have enough to provide everyone who requested one with a copy (and since I have some debts I need to take care of), I've decided to auction off a copy of Lovage in the SA-Mart. It'll run for a week, so people will have enough time to find out about it, and start at a mere penny (because why not).

Thread for those interested

He never said he'd only ever sell one just that he decided to sell a copy.

Tell me you've never in your life made a profit off something you owned.

They're just records people. You can't take them with you.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Yeah, I know it's a drag...
but wastin' pigs is still radical.

Blendy posted:

seriously check your privilege

Yeah, we all need to stop being such flipperists and check our record collector privilege!

I'm pretty psyched about getting this today:

I already had Willennium, so.

Surfingelectrode fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Mar 5, 2013

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord

Blendy posted:

You can't take them with you.

It's true.

As Tall As Lions - You Can't Take it With You

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
Oh hey guys did someone mention a soundtrack of some kind?

I was lucky enough to have found it on the Wax Poetics site after it had sold out on Rockstar's site. I forget exactly when I bought it, but it couldn't have been very long after the vinyl came out (late 2010, maybe early 2011). It really is a great soundtrack, and sounds great on vinyl. If somehow you stumble upon it for a decent price and are remotely interested, I say snap that poo poo up.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Blendy posted:

They're just records people. You can't take them with you.

Says you. When I die I'm having my entire record collection cremated with my body.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

CPL593H posted:

Says you. When I die I'm having my entire record collection cremated with my body.

My goal is to accumulate enough LPs to construct an elaborate mausoleum out of them. I'm gonna cover the whole thing with clear epoxy so it's both weatherproof and a showcase of my impeccable musical taste.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

I'm going to be mummified in a cacoon of flaming lips and third man vinyl.

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded
My wife knows that if I die to tell any local guy who comes knocking to go gently caress himself.

I bought some 45s on the way home from work today.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

JehovahsWetness posted:

My wife knows that if I die to tell any local guy who comes knocking to go gently caress himself.

That looks like way more trouble than it's probably worth.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Right....

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

WASDF posted:

I'm going to be mummified in a cacoon of flaming lips and third man vinyl.

Only if you then encase that cocoon in a skull-shaped sarcophagus made of gummy candy and attach the whole thing to a weather balloon. Also, include a stipulation in your will that requires whoever finds your flying grave to auction your body on Ebay. You know, in the spirit of the hobby.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord

Detective Thompson posted:

Oh hey guys did someone mention a soundtrack of some kind?

I was lucky enough to have found it on the Wax Poetics site after it had sold out on Rockstar's site. I forget exactly when I bought it, but it couldn't have been very long after the vinyl came out (late 2010, maybe early 2011). It really is a great soundtrack, and sounds great on vinyl. If somehow you stumble upon it for a decent price and are remotely interested, I say snap that poo poo up.

:argh:

I'd do anything now to get my hands on this (except pay more than the $100+ it goes for...).

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012

JehovahsWetness posted:

Holy poo poo. What kind of stuff is in there?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Only if you then encase that cocoon in a skull-shaped sarcophagus made of gummy candy and attach the whole thing to a weather balloon. Also, include a stipulation in your will that requires whoever finds your flying grave to auction your body on Ebay. You know, in the spirit of the hobby.

Record collectors are all scum.

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded

CPL593H posted:

That looks like way more trouble than it's probably worth.

Drinking beer and digging through 45s in the comfort of my home is def worth it. Besides, it's old stock from a defunct jukebox place around here and was keerazy cheap so the odds of finding regional 45s is pretty good. I don't really care about getting over or anything. My goal is to find regional/unknown local stuff and that means dirty hands since nobody's gonna pull and sell it by itself.

Chill Callahan posted:

Holy poo poo. What kind of stuff is in there?

So far, a few TN 45s I don't know, a couple of decent rockabilly, a short stack of 70s TX/mex stuff that's probably all horrible norteno. And %95 landfill. About normal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Dr. Lenin posted:

:argh:

I'd do anything now to get my hands on this (except pay more than the $100+ it goes for...).

Dr. Lenin and Detective Thompson sitting in a tree, S-U-C-K-I-N-G D-I-C-K F-O-R V-I-N-Y-L....