Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

I always thought Gordon was fine with a water bottle but once I switched to a water bowl, I see that she drinks a lot more. Plus it's easier to me to dump out whatever's left each day, give it a quick soap and rinse, and get her fresh water every day. I liked the bottle for convenience to just leave it up, but for anything other than a backup water supply in case I die and am not found for more than a week or two, it's more of a pain in the rear end to use a bottle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyflurple
Oct 31, 2006

Haha, nice thinking. Gonna swap Juppo to a bowl today I reckon. See how she gets along with it.

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

We use a bowl and a bottle. They definitely prefer the bowl, but they also love to throw it for shits 'n giggles so the bottle is backup for that eventuality. We intend to find a bun-proof bowl soon.

Iran-Contrarian
Jan 25, 2006

Yeah, we use the bowl and bottle too. They've only managed to flip the bowl once, and we can't figure out how. We've actually taken to scattering their pellets/greens all over the cage instead of putting them in one place. We heard they have fun exercising their foraging instinct, and so far it seems like they're enjoying it.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Plus if you don't use a bowl now, be prepared for a whole new level of cute when you see bun use it!

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

NancyPants posted:

Plus if you don't use a bowl now, be prepared for a whole new level of cute when you see bun use it!

Especially the first few times when they end up dunking their entire face in to the bowl and then sit up looking confused.

RICKON WALNUTSBANE
Jun 13, 2001

grack posted:

Especially the first few times when they end up dunking their entire face in to the bowl and then sit up looking confused.

This will send a chill down the spine of any angora owner. Then again it's been my experience that they'll tolerate brushing to the head/cheeks more than anywhere else.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

RICKON WALNUTSBANE posted:

This will send a chill down the spine of any angora owner. Then again it's been my experience that they'll tolerate brushing to the head/cheeks more than anywhere else.

Harriet's a Lionhead....

Hana Dammit
Nov 29, 2004

Punch-drunk tears of a clone.
xx

Hana Dammit fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Feb 16, 2017

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

That rabbit is freaking me out. I've never seen a friendlier or more relaxed rabbit.

RICKON WALNUTSBANE
Jun 13, 2001

bunnyofdoom posted:

Harriet's a Lionhead....

of whom you do not post enough photos.

Behold! A grumpy bunny:

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Behold! A grumpy bunny:

He looks like one of the Scottish/English entrants for the World Mustache competition!

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

Behold! A grumpy bunny:

This rabbit is so grumpily cute it's going to give me a seizure.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.
SO.

Today I was shopping and walked past the pet store and saw that there was a rabbit stuck half in and half out of a cage. He had mashed himself between the bars of a grid cage and it took me and a person who worked at the store to get him out.

I had been thinking about getting a third bunny ever since I saw the bonding of Sputnik and his siblings. I bit the bullet and brought him home with me.

Introducing Baby Hymie!

He actually looks like he could be baby of Bitsy and Paterson and I think that his ears are going to drop and that he will be a lop. He seems to have his father's intelligence :3:

luscious fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Mar 5, 2013

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

For a moment there I was worried you'd gotten another dwarf. :eek: I hope it works out though, I'd be interested to see how it would work with three of them.

Me I'm fine with two for now and probably for ever. Mine can't even share toys without chasing each other around the house. I have however been thinking about looking up what the nearest rabbit shelter is and maybe helping out or donating. gently caress knows they'll need it come Easter.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

DS at Night posted:

For a moment there I was worried you'd gotten another dwarf. :eek: I hope it works out though, I'd be interested to see how it would work with three of them.

Me I'm fine with two for now and probably for ever. Mine can't even share toys without chasing each other around the house. I have however been thinking about looking up what the nearest rabbit shelter is and maybe helping out or donating. gently caress knows they'll need it come Easter.

me thinks that ears are too large to be a dwarf but who knows! Now you have me all paranoid!!!

I didn't think that I would get another one but I think that it will switch up the group dynamic and hopefully Paterson will come out of his shell more. Worse comes to worse, my friend has expressed interest in getting a buddy for her bunny :3:

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

DS at Night posted:

Two seems like a great number, three just seems like too much admin? Sharing toys/food is hilarious to watch, when Peanut and Snoopy get some lettuce or broccoli they only want the piece the other bun is chewing at the time and will have a little tug of war for it.

happyflurple
Oct 31, 2006

FactsAreUseless posted:

That rabbit is freaking me out. I've never seen a friendlier or more relaxed rabbit.

Haha, I was going to say the same. You're drat lucky to have such a friendly bunny, hell I'm touched that Juppo has finally deemed me worthy to sit close to today. Normally she will just sit at the other side of my bed and let me stroke her. Right now she's sat about an inch away from my laptop nuzzling my hand.

Or possibly eyeing up my ethernet cable. Hard to tell.

Iran-Contrarian
Jan 25, 2006

luscious posted:

SO.

Today I was shopping and walked past the pet store and saw that there was a rabbit stuck half in and half out of a cage. He had mashed himself between the bars of a grid cage and it took me and a person who worked at the store to get him out.

I had been thinking about getting a third bunny ever since I saw the bonding of Sputnik and his siblings. I bit the bullet and brought him home with me.

Introducing Baby Hymie!

He actually looks like he could be baby of Bitsy and Paterson and I think that his ears are going to drop and that he will be a lop. He seems to have his father's intelligence :3:

We just had a similar experience! Back in September of last year we adopted two of four bonded siblings, with the idea that we didn't have space for four bunnies but they were really attached and needed companionship so it'd be kinda cruel to leave one alone. Well, last week their foster mother called to say that one of the ones we didn't adopt passed on due to a lung infection, and asked if we could bring little Rip's brother and sister back to keep him company. He was grieving and his diet had really gone downhill, so of course we agreed.

We got there and took one look at poor lonely little Rip and decided we had to bring him on. Fortunately, their foster mom is an expert at bonding bunnies so they're staying with her for a week or two until they learn to get along again. Hopefully after that Rip's coming home with us!

We can't wait!

grack
Jan 10, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

Well, I have but it was a much larger breed.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

so Baby Hymie spent two days getting used to being away from the pet store in a big cage / enclosure in the always open closet. I have moved him into a corner of the bunny room. Tonight when I go to work I'm going to cage B&P.

So far there has been no cross-play nor do I plan on having that until BB Hymie has settled into his cage in that corner. He was really used to being handled at the petstore but I'm trying to give him the time to like. understand that he is here and he is okay. before I start to handle him.

I got an air purifier to help with the amount of possible air pollutants.

I'm not sure what kind of bunny he is. His ears are already bigger than Bitsy's (dwarf). I'm thinking that they might drop soon. Or maybe he will end up a Flemish Giant (I really don't think is possible...)

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades
Motherfucker.

Back in the first half of 2009, Cilantro developed and sustained an infection along her jaw that resulted in her incisors being removed. It moved from the side of her jaw down to a bottom incisor's root. Pulling the tooth effectively pulled the infection, but the other three incisors and two peg teeth had to come out with it..

Last week, I was petting her as I am often allowed to do and out of habit I ran my fingers over her jaw where the abscesses used to form. And it felt soft.

poo poo.

Today I just barely touched it and she jumped away. So I had to chase her around and wrassle her down to pick her up and hold her still long enough to feel the area. Soft and squishy. Son of a bitch.

So not looking forward to bunny burritos, povidone iodine swabbings, and antibiotic feedings.

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

pseudonordic posted:

Motherfucker.

Back in the first half of 2009, Cilantro developed and sustained an infection along her jaw that resulted in her incisors being removed. It moved from the side of her jaw down to a bottom incisor's root. Pulling the tooth effectively pulled the infection, but the other three incisors and two peg teeth had to come out with it..

Last week, I was petting her as I am often allowed to do and out of habit I ran my fingers over her jaw where the abscesses used to form. And it felt soft.

poo poo.

Today I just barely touched it and she jumped away. So I had to chase her around and wrassle her down to pick her up and hold her still long enough to feel the area. Soft and squishy. Son of a bitch.

So not looking forward to bunny burritos, povidone iodine swabbings, and antibiotic feedings.

I'm sorry, that sounds awful. Let us know what the vet says!

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

I'm so sorry that is happening :( I know from experience with both babies that it's hard hard hard to have to go through that!

Feel better soon Cilantro.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades
No time to squeeze her into the only available appointment this morning. Gonna take her as a walk-in this afternoon to have it examined and she'll most likely have a flesh wound cleaning done tomorrow.

The good news is that while it appears to be sore to the touch, she hasn't had a decrease in appetite and doesn't appear to be favoring chewing on one side over the other. We'll probably have to do x-rays at some point to be sure, but I don't think this will have affected her molars on the infected side.

Edit: Hooray for tax returns!

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

Sorry for the low-res!

Edit: Just saw this on IMGUR VVV

Prawned fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Mar 7, 2013

Lobsterboy
Aug 18, 2003

start smoking (what's up, gold?)
In an old housing situation I had a big papazan set up next to a set of giant windows, and the sun would usually come in at an angle that kept the center of the support ring nice and warm. And my rabbits used to wander over and check it out, and if it was warm, they would do almost that exact same maneuver and then just take an amazingly adorable nap. Bunnies.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Baby Hymie escaped last night (a number of times) and terrorized Bitsy and Paterson while apparently spraying pee all over everything. Things seem to have calmed down now that everything is clean and smelling good and changed but I feel really bad. I hope that doesn't set bonding back too much. I can't wait to get him neutered but in the meantime, he's in his corner and they're in their part of the room with only supervised visits on a bridge between the two (gets taken away when I am not watching).

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Upon evaluating the space that I have and the stress levels the pre-bonding has had on everyone I think that I have to take Baby Hymie back. Right now he can't really have any time out due to the location of his cage and the fact that he will pee on everything in the living room if I bring him out here. After neutering him that would get better, but in the meantime he's couped up, knowing that there are other bunnies who he wants to meet. On top of that, after he is able to meet them and after they are bonded, the room that is big enough for them will no longer be as big as it is since he will be grown.

I know that once everyone has chilled out it could be really nice. However, the space is just too limited.

I feel like a huge loser though because I really did think that it would work out and I really should have thought about it more. Even if I had thought about it more I don't know if I would have realized the lack of space.

Ugh. This is really an annoying thing to have happen but I know that if I'm having doubts NOW I need to deal with it before he gets much bigger or much more settled.

:(

happyflurple
Oct 31, 2006

Aw, that sucks mate. Better to sort it now though, aye. Not your fault.

In other news, molting bunnies are the worst bunnies. Juppo pranced up to me earlier, covered my shirt in fur, and now the room looks like it's been invaded by thousands of loving dandelion clocks. Keep finding fur in my drinks, my hair, my pillows, my mouth, my every drat thing.

Here, have a photo of the lovable little poo poo. She's way more affectionate now at least and the peeing and pooping on my bed has mostly stopped. She's also a lot more mischievous which means re-rabbit proofing later this week.

edit: seriously how much fur is meant to come off a drat rabbit? I'm pulling the loose hair out gently, she doesn't mind but I'm genuinely convinced she's gonna be bald soon. There's just so much! I'm not ripping it out, just combing my hand over her back and barely even gripping the fur between my thumb and forefinger.

happyflurple fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Mar 11, 2013

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

Yes it's entirely normal for a rabbit to shed twice its own body weight in a day. Science is yet to determine how they do it but do it they will. They also become more cuddly when it's shedding time. Enjoy finding rabbit hair in your underwear.

Guess that's why it's a good thing you didn't start this before first knowing he has a place to go if it doesn't work out...

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

loving goddamn I just wanna rub that rabbit all over my face.

Ah, so I don't know if I've asked this before, but we've had a bit of an issue with Peanut's skin. It seems like she's peeling a bit, almost like an excema or maybe just little dry skin? It's usually a small individual "flake" or patch, a few of them up and down her back but not all over. It's obviously not contagious because her and Snoop are all over each other but she's never excited the symptoms, and neither have my GF and I.

It was around for a bit then went away, but recently came back. Vet did some tests the first time and they apparently came back negative for the normal fungi and worms, we were going to have to shampoo her (yay) but after it got better the first time we decided to leave it...

Just wondering if any of you have had something similar with your bunns?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

happyflurple posted:

Aw, that sucks mate. Better to sort it now though, aye. Not your fault.

In other news, molting bunnies are the worst bunnies. Juppo pranced up to me earlier, covered my shirt in fur, and now the room looks like it's been invaded by thousands of loving dandelion clocks. Keep finding fur in my drinks, my hair, my pillows, my mouth, my every drat thing.

Here, have a photo of the lovable little poo poo. She's way more affectionate now at least and the peeing and pooping on my bed has mostly stopped. She's also a lot more mischievous which means re-rabbit proofing later this week.

This is actually a good thing. Happy rabbits like to explore, run around and play with things (read: chew on every loving thing they can fit in their mouth).

happyflurple posted:

edit: seriously how much fur is meant to come off a drat rabbit? I'm pulling the loose hair out gently, she doesn't mind but I'm genuinely convinced she's gonna be bald soon. There's just so much! I'm not ripping it out, just combing my hand over her back and barely even gripping the fur between my thumb and forefinger.

Sounds about right. One thing about rabbits - they always have more fur. ALWAYS

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

I've had a terrible weekend, my two jerks have figured out that whenever they jump on the couch I get up out of my chair (to shoo them away, they're not allowed on the couch). So now they're constantly jumping on the couch and when I get up they binky all over the place. Immediate attention! Yay! The worst part is they look so darn pleased with themselves for inventing a new kind of playtime I really can't get pissed off at them.

happyflurple
Oct 31, 2006

Prawned posted:

loving goddamn I just wanna rub that rabbit all over my face.

She'd be happy to oblige no doubt, she's all about the constant contact now she's shedding! Is pawing at my back as I type.

Good to know the shedding is normal anyway, it really does seem like twice her body weight, aye. And that being mischievous is a good thing, I just left her for literally one minute and when I came back she'd dragged her treats out of the box I keep them in, onto my bed, and was sat looking the picture of innocence when I came back in. Think I've managed to secure them now but time will tell.

Pretty sure she's deliberately re-grown all her fur overnight and all.

edit: I obviously won't do it, but I can't help eyeing up the Nair on my dresser :allears:

happyflurple fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Mar 12, 2013

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

I really need Gordon Freeman to stop chewing carpet. Is getting her a rug to munch of her own just going to further enforce the idea that what she's doing is fine, or is it a lost cause and just consider it Kevlar for the floor?

She has lots of things to chew. She's fond of hay-stuffed tp tubes, couch legs, baseboards, and cardboard box lunches.

E: I'm out of oral innuendos but it's a legit question.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Ella has now destroyed 200 dollars in AC adapters. 60 bucks a pop from best buy x.x It's the only cord she chews on, and is driving me nuts. She has so many toys and treats to chew on, why are you going after the bitter no-chew coated laptop cable?! I'm covering the next cable in soap.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Suspect Bucket posted:

Ella has now destroyed 200 dollars in AC adapters. 60 bucks a pop from best buy x.x It's the only cord she chews on, and is driving me nuts. She has so many toys and treats to chew on, why are you going after the bitter no-chew coated laptop cable?! I'm covering the next cable in soap.

They know they are important and you need them. One time I wasnt paying attention to my fat rabbit, Tubbs, so she kept thumping and thumping and I finally turn around to see what she wants. She waited, stared at me for a few seconds, lunged forward and bit my blackberry charging cable in half, then hopped off flicking her feet at me. Its the only cable she has ever bitten.

happyflurple
Oct 31, 2006

Suspect Bucket posted:

Dunno if it's practical for you, but me Dad covered all the loose cables in the house with this sort of ribbed, flexible plastic tubing when my parents had chinchillas and that was incredibly effective. I keep meaning to get some for my phone charger. I imagine DIY stores would have it I dunno I'm not a practical person.

As an aside, Juppo just did a bunny flop onto the duvet which she was previously licking, and her legs were stuck out at a 90 degree angle. I told this to her previous owner via IM and he replied with 'Haha, she's acute rabbit'. Laughed far too hard at that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Suspect Bucket posted:

Allow me to quote something from earlier in the thread:

DS at Night posted:

So anyway I thought I could stop my rabbits from gnawing too much on my table by rubbing soap on it but after a long and suspicious silence I caught one of them licking the soap off the table legs. What is WRONG with these creatures

Yeah, rabbits are strange creatures. Have you considered wrapping it in duct tape? May not stop them from chewing on it, but it'll be way tougher (and easy to just recover in duct tape).