Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jacobey000
Jul 17, 2005

We will be cruising at a speed of 55mph swiftly away from the twisted wreckage of my shattered life!

withak posted:

The amount of yeast shouldn't matter much; the amount of new sugar is what matters. Might as well toss the entire packet in. What else are you going to do with a half-packet of opened dry yeast anyway?

Maybe I'm hoarder, but with I pitch a few gallons, I save the yeast packet for later. Tape it closed with painter's tape and away we go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

ScaerCroe posted:

I have a really good Watermelon Wheat recipe that the ladies love.

Please post the recipe. My 2 attempts have been kind of mediocre and I really want to make it work.

ScaerCroe
Oct 6, 2006
IRRITANT

fullroundaction posted:

Please post the recipe. My 2 attempts have been kind of mediocre and I really want to make it work.

Super simple, really, and you can adapt it to what you have on hand in terms of hops/yeast.

6 pounds 2-Row
6 pounds Wheat
Mash for 60 minutes at 152

1oz of 5% AA hops for 60 minutes
US-05

Let the beer finish out completely (I cold crash it for a couple of days). Buy yourself a nice, seedless watermelon, preferably from a farmer's market or something. Chop in half, or cut just the top off, and then grab a stick blender and puree all the fruit inside the watermelon (it serves as a nice little container). Pour the pureed watermelon into the bottom of a secondary, and carefully rack the beer on top of the watermelon, trying to keep as much yeast in the bottom of the primary as possible. You do not want a really vigorous fermentation of the fruit, as it can drive off some of the aromas. When it is finished, bottle it up.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
You don't need to sanitize the fruit in any way?

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
The last time I made it that was my exact recipe except I froze the fruit first for a couple days before shoving it into secondary. Maybe I just don't like watermelon wheats :shrug:

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Midorka posted:

Eh. I've only done 1 fruit batch but I hear tons of people just say that really you don't need to worry about sanitizing. Freeze the fruit to break cell walls, toss it in secondary.

E: Drinking the last bottle of my first cider. Just reiterating that great eating apples don't necessarily make great hard cider. Especially single apple cider. 100% Honeycrisp did not ferment well :P Its not undrinkable but I am really looking forward to the cider that I just bottled as a more balanced flavor profile.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Midorka posted:

Finished beer has enough ethanol and little enough oxygen in it that it is kind of hard for many wild microorganisms to get a toehold. Freezing first makes it even tougher.

edit: Definitely not impossible though.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!

ScaerCroe posted:

I have a really good Watermelon Wheat recipe that the ladies love. It would be even better if I could make it a deep red color to suit the fruit. I was thinking of going Schwarzbier on my recipe and crushing up 1-2 oz roasted barley in a coffee grinder, and adding it to the end of my mash to bump up the color a little bit. Has anyone done something similar?

Schwarzbiers have a distinct flavor from the carafa III added to make them black, just FYI. Beyond that what you're saying would definitely work, although I suggest using carafa III since it's not very roasty. No reason to use your coffee grinder though, crack it just like you would the rest of your malt. 2 oz in a 5 gallon batch will only give you color.

ScaerCroe
Oct 6, 2006
IRRITANT

Josh Wow posted:

Schwarzbiers have a distinct flavor from the carafa III added to make them black, just FYI. Beyond that what you're saying would definitely work, although I suggest using carafa III since it's not very roasty. No reason to use your coffee grinder though, crack it just like you would the rest of your malt. 2 oz in a 5 gallon batch will only give you color.

I think I heard Jamil say that if you really want just color, basically pulverize it in a blade grinder. Thanks for the tip on the Carafa III! I think I was going to use a dehusked version of something instead of the RB I mentioned, but this is a great suggestion.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me

Midorka posted:

This guy did a dry hop experiment with Bud Light, I'll be doing this soon.

My friends and I are going to try this, I ordered the hops this morning. None of us has a bench capper though, so we were thinking that Bud Light might not work for us since the bottles could break. What is a beer that comes in a wing-capper compatible bottle that is inexpensive and relatively low on flavor so the dry hopping can shine through? I was thinking maybe Stella Artois?

We are trying: Amarillo, Cascade, Centennial, Citra, El Dorado, Mosaic, and Simcoe.

PBCrunch fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Mar 5, 2013

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.

ScaerCroe posted:

Super simple, really, and you can adapt it to what you have on hand in terms of hops/yeast.

6 pounds 2-Row
6 pounds Wheat
Mash for 60 minutes at 152

1oz of 5% AA hops for 60 minutes
US-05

Let the beer finish out completely (I cold crash it for a couple of days). Buy yourself a nice, seedless watermelon, preferably from a farmer's market or something. Chop in half, or cut just the top off, and then grab a stick blender and puree all the fruit inside the watermelon (it serves as a nice little container). Pour the pureed watermelon into the bottom of a secondary, and carefully rack the beer on top of the watermelon, trying to keep as much yeast in the bottom of the primary as possible. You do not want a really vigorous fermentation of the fruit, as it can drive off some of the aromas. When it is finished, bottle it up.

In your opinion do you think this would also work with cucumber? A year or so ago I tried a cucumber wheat beer at a festival and have been searching for recipes that could be adapted for that flavor. I was thinking about a pound of skinned and chopped cucumber in secondary.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010
Seeing as how Cucumbers are gross :barf:. I would go with a zucchini. Its just as off the wall but at least in the squash family which has more information readily available in regards to brewing with them. I also don't know how much flavor you would get from a cuke as they are mostly water I think. (end of personal opinion rant on vegetables).

I would think about baking the cucumbers to get some of the water out.

Citizen Z
Jul 13, 2009

~Hanzo Steel~

Marshmallow Blue posted:

Seeing as how Cucumbers are gross :barf:. I would go with a zucchini. Its just as off the wall but at least in the squash family which has more information readily available in regards to brewing with them. I also don't know how much flavor you would get from a cuke as they are mostly water I think. (end of personal opinion rant on vegetables).

I would think about baking the cucumbers to get some of the water out.

Cucumbers are awesome. :colbert: I wouldn't do zucchini, no flavors in common.

I would just chop some up and throw them into secondary, but seed as well as peel. I'm not sure how much fermentation you'll get off the cucumber, I imagine it would work more like cucumber water and just leech some of the flavor and aroma out of the cucumber.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
I bet a cucumber tincture would work well. Puree a butt ton of cucumbers and add vodka to extract the flavor. Strain and add to secondary or bottling.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
I am brewing a Rye IPA this weekend. I think I have Citra and Simcoe hops on hand (would that even make a good combo?) but I was going to dry hop for the first time. How long do you typically dry hop for? 3-4 days? A week?

Logarth
Oct 2, 2003
I have been brewing regularly (3-4 batches a year) for probably 4 years. I started out with kits, then recipes, then read some books and tried to part out some batches of the beer styles I liked. I plan on trying some all-grain this summer and already have a few 5 gallon pots and a propane rig ready to go. I just read the first post for this thread and I have to agree, it was hard to stop! The area in my kitchen where I used to have a nice table for sitting and eating at is now for storing beer and beer brewing supplies. Once you have a CO2 container and a bun ch of corny kegs, you know you're in deep.

Personal favorite is pumpkin brown ales, heavily spiced.

Edit: The most fun I have had is serving beer to friends at parties. A few of my friends even started brewing themselves afterwards!

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

PBCrunch posted:

We are trying: Amarillo, Cascade, Centennial, Citra, El Dorado, Mosaic, and Simcoe.

I wouldn't use Stella Artois bottles since they're green and the beer will most likely be skunked by the time you get it. If you get it in a covered 12 pack and make extra sure to keep it away from UV light it might work though.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

PBCrunch posted:

My friends and I are going to try this, I ordered the hops this morning. None of us has a bench capper though, so we were thinking that Bud Light might not work for us since the bottles could break. What is a beer that comes in a wing-capper compatible bottle that is inexpensive and relatively low on flavor so the dry hopping can shine through? I was thinking maybe Stella Artois?

The article says that they were re-capped fine though, that was my only concern. For the cost of Stella I'd sooner buy a local beer that is very mild.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

I tried a cucumber saison last year. I added two pounds of chopped cucumbers to secondary. I drain poured the whole batch. After 7 days, it had a super gross, intense DMS flavour. I decided there was no rescuing it and thusly drain poured.

You might have better luck with an extraction.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010
Might have better luck using anything other than a cucumber. Those things are only good for pickles, and I hear some people put them in salads too. Again my suggestion would be to roast the cucumber. Or even just use a lot of zests. I feel the meat is too watery with no real flavor punch (not that cucumbers have any flavor :smugbert:)

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I'd agree with everyone else saying either juice or extract the cucumber because its a bunch of starch and chlorophyll otherwise. Probably juice.

Otherwise just serve with a cucumber slice or two.

Logarth
Oct 2, 2003
Cucumber schmucumber. If you want an extract that has flavor that would go very well with the acidic hops and malty barleys, why not try celery seed extract. It makes a wonderful soda and would probably go fantastically with a nutty brown ale.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

ChiTownEddie posted:

I am brewing a Rye IPA this weekend. I think I have Citra and Simcoe hops on hand (would that even make a good combo?) but I was going to dry hop for the first time. How long do you typically dry hop for? 3-4 days? A week?

Depends on what you're going for. A super duper double IPA like Pliny is dry-hopped 2-3 times for 2-3 weeks (total).

I've never made a RIPA, but in my experience 5-7 days is plenty if you're not making an over-the-top hopbomb. As a general rule I usually just wait until they sink to the bottom of the fermenter if I'm not being too anal about my calendar.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

fullroundaction posted:

Depends on what you're going for. A super duper double IPA like Pliny is dry-hopped 2-3 times for 2-3 weeks (total).

I've never made a RIPA, but in my experience 5-7 days is plenty if you're not making an over-the-top hopbomb. As a general rule I usually just wait until they sink to the bottom of the fermenter if I'm not being too anal about my calendar.

Not going for insanity. More like 2-3oz during the boil and then 2oz of dry hop. I'll just try that toss it in and wait until it falls down method then ;) Thanks!

*looks adoringly at the big box of ingredients next to him* I need more fermenters :)

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

That could've gotten in my eye!
*launches teargas at unarmed protestors*

I THINK OAKLAND PD'S USE OF EXCESSIVE FORCE WAS JUSTIFIED!
Well we bottled our first beer last night. Whoever said iodaphor was a life saver was right. Halfway through soaking our bottles in a bleach solution we said gently caress this noise and ran out to grab some. Other than that, it went pretty smoothly. My 3rd bottle capping i shattered a bottle, but after that it was smooth sailing. Going to be a long two week wait...

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

In regards to people against using cucumbers in a beer.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

I'm not against using cucumbers in a beer. I'm against cucumbers in general. I'm making my run for president in 2016 and my campaign will solely be based on the eradication of all Cucumbers not used for pickles.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

After reading all those posts I was going to suggest somebody just email Cigar City already. Full disclosure I loving despise cucumbers (unless pickled of course) but that is a really well made beer. I still don't think it tastes good because it tastes like cucumbers, but they really nailed the cucumber flavor with no off flavors in there and it didn't taste artificial.

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.

internet celebrity posted:

I bet a cucumber tincture would work well. Puree a butt ton of cucumbers and add vodka to extract the flavor. Strain and add to secondary or bottling.

This is exactly how I would do it. I've made cucumber vodka to go in Pimm's cups - all I had to do was peel the cucumber, scrape out the seeds, slice the remaining part, and add to the vodka. Let it sit for at least a few days, then you can just strain out the cucumber slices. It's still a subtle flavor, but this approach would give you much more control over the final product.

And something to make Pimm's cups with, so win-win.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I'm skeptical that Cucumbers even have a "flavor." :tinfoil:

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

That could've gotten in my eye!
*launches teargas at unarmed protestors*

I THINK OAKLAND PD'S USE OF EXCESSIVE FORCE WAS JUSTIFIED!
Do you guys keep a logbook of your brew history/info? Did you just grab something online or make up your own?

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

Crunkjuice posted:

Do you guys keep a logbook of your brew history/info? Did you just grab something online or make up your own?

Right now I use the "Catch" app. Its not completely for brewing but fulfills my needs. Since I'm a little nuts, I'm working on a graphic designy brew log with illustrations of the ingredients that I can plug and play from In Design Symbols. Its also of course got all the space for the appropriate notes. Then one day before I die, Ill go to one of those places that will make the book for you and give it to my kid (I don't have any kids at the moment but when I do).

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!

Crunkjuice posted:

I print out the recipe sheet and a calculations sheet for each brew and 3-hole punch them, then keep them in ring binder. As I think about it (read: rarely), I write down notes on the sheets. It's getting full though, so I should probably prune it into a history binder.

EDIT: It's sloppy and hardly very efficient, but it's a MASSIVE improvement over what I did for the first fifteen-plus years of my brewing career, which was nothing.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Crunkjuice posted:

I write notes into the "notes" section of BeerSmith.

Cointelprofessional
Jul 2, 2007
Carrots: Make me an offer.

Crunkjuice posted:

I use a Google Spreadsheet. Feel free to take a look. I'm not the best note keeper and many categories are blank, but it's nice to use as a reference. You can select the year at the bottom of the page.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AkLdsdUvOdGYdF8zNktLTFhIYnAtbTJrdGZtN1dweUE&usp=sharing

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games
I keep a text file for each brew in Dropbox and update it accordingly. Each day I check it and add a header for a date and time and make any additional notes. When its all done and kegged, I'll cut and paste it into Brewsmith for save keeping.

Here's a screenshot:

http://d.pr/i/RaOD

he1ixx fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Mar 5, 2013

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
A little outdated, but I kept this version until recently because it was easier to share with my buddies:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AlPMJXvMC9TNdDNDbXVya3RLMjB1U2NuNnRZQWJ5d1E&usp=sharing

j3rkstore
Jan 28, 2009

L'esprit d'escalier
I have a journal I keep my hand-written recipies and notes in :corsair:

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

j3rkstore posted:

I have a journal I keep my hand-written recipies and notes in :corsair:

And when technology ends, you'll be the only person with their brew log!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Angry Grimace posted:

I'm skeptical that Cucumbers even have a "flavor." :tinfoil:

I had no clue cucumbers were such a controversial thing until this discussion. Cucumbers are one of the uniquer greens, and that taste is awesome.

Also notes are for losers. All the cool kids make awesome beer auto magically without trial and error.

But seriously I usually keep a rtf file with grain bill, hop schedule, yeast, and ferment temp. Maybe mash temp if I am feeling detail oriented.