Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008
In Saigon now an it appears Pasteur street has some pretty good and reasonably priced ($8 entrees-ish) Western joints. As for Vietnamese I'm sure Senso has some suggestions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

creamyhorror
Mar 11, 2006
the incredible adventures of superworm across America

Gail Wynand posted:

Anyone have any clubbing suggestions in Saigon? Going there this weekend and hitting the ground with basically no plans. I prefer underground electronic music but failing that, indie rock is also cool. We're coming from Singapore, the land of the $10 lager
:sigh: Tell me about it. Did you find any places playing EDM or indie pop/rock (besides Home Club)? On the rare occasions I go to a club here, the music usually doesn't appeal.

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working
Oh boy, I love writing those!

Gail Wynand posted:

Anyone have any clubbing suggestions in Saigon? Going there this weekend and hitting the ground with basically no plans. I prefer underground electronic music but failing that, indie rock is also cool. We're coming from Singapore, the land of the $10 lager so basically anywhere that offers a non-douchey atmosphere is fine, I don't mind if it's mostly expats.

Clubbing with original music? I'd say the "best" music I've heard is at Blanchy's Tash (95 Hai Ba Trung). They have better DJs that don't just play the same 10 dance pop classics or loving Gangnam Style every hour.

Accoustic sometimes has good live cover/rock bands. Thi Cafe, smack in the middle of the red light/backpacker area, has a live Filipino cover band every night. Small joint, no working girls, hipsterish but cool. The DeciBel is run by a few young guys, they have good hiphop/beats music, OK food and good events.

And then, once you lower the bar and don't mind poo poo music, you're got many clubs. Apocalypse Now is a classic (100k/$5 cover), filled with expats, tourists and prostitutes every night. Lush is similar but less trashy, more upper class.

Lan Kwai Fong is crazy on Fridays, 300K ($15) entrance fee and you get all-you-can-drink vodka. 99% Vietnamese crowd. High Club is similar, mostly Viet crowd, VIP treatment if you order a bottle, I've been there a few times and might be there tonight incidentally.

Then you've got the... Go2 (upstairs). It never closes, gets crowded and crazy at 2AM+, filled with foreigners and working girls. It can be fun.

Many more clubs and bars of course, check out AnyArena for events this weekend, etc.

I'll be going out tonight and tomorrow with friends, if you want to meet up.

Gail Wynand posted:

Restaurant recommendations would be great too, when in SEA I usually have any nice dinners in BKK or SGN because Singapore prices are ridiculous.

Good classic Vietnamese experience: Nha Han Ngon on Pasteur. Cuc Gach Quan (10 Dang Tat, D1). Rat Hue (163/11 Le Thanh Ton, in front of Ben Thanh market). Then after that, anywhere, it will be good and cheap. For foreign food, I suggest: Casablanca (Moroccan, excellent), Long Phi (French/Viet, at the end on Bui Vien, it's a great quiet island surrounded by whore bars, I go there like 3 times a week), Au Parc (I love it), Black Cat, Pizza 4P, Pacharan, My Place (if you want awesome Belgian beers and expensive/excellent food), Elbow Room, I could go on and on.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Alert, Saigoons, if you spot a drunken French Canadian looking guy passed out on the sidewalk with his iPhone sticking out of his pocket, please push it back in so it's not visible.

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working

ReindeerF posted:

Alert, Saigoons, if you spot a drunken French Canadian looking guy passed out on the sidewalk with his iPhone sticking out of his pocket, please push it back in so it's not visible.

I have an Android phone! :colbert:

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

creamyhorror posted:

:sigh: Tell me about it. Did you find any places playing EDM or indie pop/rock (besides Home Club)? On the rare occasions I go to a club here, the music usually doesn't appeal.
I actually went to a rave last weekend. In Tanjong Pagar. It was ridiculous. This is Singapore though, so it ended at midnight.

Tried to take things over to Home Club, but they were being raided by the cops at the time and by the time that finished we had kind of lost energy. I liked Home Club the other time I went though.

The friend who invited me to the rave has a lot of parties out in Hougang. I might have to check those out now.

Soy Division fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Mar 1, 2013

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Senso posted:

I'll be going out tonight and tomorrow with friends, if you want to meet up.

Good classic Vietnamese experience: Nha Han Ngon on Pasteur. Cuc Gach Quan (10 Dang Tat, D1). Rat Hue (163/11 Le Thanh Ton, in front of Ben Thanh market). Then after that, anywhere, it will be good and cheap. For foreign food, I suggest: Casablanca (Moroccan, excellent), Long Phi (French/Viet, at the end on Bui Vien, it's a great quiet island surrounded by whore bars, I go there like 3 times a week), Au Parc (I love it), Black Cat, Pizza 4P, Pacharan, My Place (if you want awesome Belgian beers and expensive/excellent food), Elbow Room, I could go on and on.
Thanks for the tips. I'd be totally down with meeting up tomorrow evening assuming the other half approves. Shoot me a message...pthomas551 at gmail dot com.

Tonight I think we're taking it easy though..2 hour visa on arrival line has a way of sucking out one's energy.

kru
Oct 5, 2003

Gail Wynand posted:

I actually went to a rave this weekend. In Tanjong Pagar. It was ridiculous. This is Singapore though, so it ended at midnight.

Tried to take things over to Home Club, but they were being raided by the cops at the time and by the time that finished we had kind of lost energy. I liked Home Club the other time I went though.

The friend who invited me to the rave has a lot of parties out in Hougang. I might have to check those out now.

Invite me you massive jerk

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

kru posted:

Invite me you massive jerk
Sorry, I would have made a post if I had found out about it more than an hour before it started ;) I will investigate these parties in the outer precincts and if they are worth going to, will report back.

creamyhorror
Mar 11, 2006
the incredible adventures of superworm across America

Gail Wynand posted:

I actually went to a rave last weekend. In Tanjong Pagar. It was ridiculous. This is Singapore though, so it ended at midnight.

I've heard legends of raves here, but never caught a whiff of one. Parties in Hougang, in some HDB? Even more legendary.

@kru: we need to get this guy invited to our whatsapp chat

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid

Gail Wynand posted:

Anyone have any clubbing suggestions in Saigon?

Not sure what kind of EDM music you hope to find but I think the locals are into hardstyle\happy hardcore.. if you're looking for a "local" joint. I went to Apocalypse (kind of like a bar more so..) something which is a foreigner\mixed joint with overpriced drinks. I actually thought it actually had a pretty good atmosphere.

kru
Oct 5, 2003

creamyhorror posted:

I've heard legends of raves here, but never caught a whiff of one. Parties in Hougang, in some HDB? Even more legendary.

@kru: we need to get this guy invited to our whatsapp chat

We do! I'm actually back in Scotland for a couple of weeks to see the folks, but we should sort out something when I'm back.

Hip Hoptimus Prime
Jul 7, 2009

Ask me how I gained back all the weight I lost by eating your pets.
Quick question. I have a four year degree. My husband does not. He might get booted out of the Army in a couple of years thanks to all the cuts that are going on right now. I think if he gets kicked out, it would be a perfect chance to go live abroad for awhile, but could we get visas for both of us if he can't teach English due to no degree (like, me get a visa for working, then him one for being my spouse)? Any ideas how that works? He's like, really not a school person, so I doubt he will get a 4 year degree when he's out, if anything he will eventually go to some kind of trade school. Any ideas on how we could live somewhere else together?

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
How flexible are you two on locations? EG: Are there a few countries you want to live in, our is it more along lines of the Baudelaireian "Anywhere out of this Earth!"?

Hip Hoptimus Prime
Jul 7, 2009

Sheep-Goats posted:

How flexible are you two on locations? EG: Are there a few countries you want to live in, our is it more along lines of the Baudelaireian "Anywhere out of this Earth!"?

I'm thinking SE Asia somewhere hence posting in this thread but I'm also open to South America. I doubt we'd be able to move to Europe (due it being expensive and the fact that he has no degree).

I've also been playing with the Star Alliance RTW Itinerary creator all night. If there's nowhere we could actually live, I'd be down for just traveling for awhile and using helpx.net to find work/beds/food for us. :)

ETA: I also plan on getting my scuba instructor credential, so being near water would be nice. I think I could earn enough to live on by teaching English and then doing scuba excursions on the side. For some reason, I have no desire to stay in the US where we'll have to choose what we do based on health insurance and cost of living and stuff. /whine

Hip Hoptimus Prime fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Mar 4, 2013

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005
is there a whatsapp list?

you can add me if you want. ediplomacy

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Hip Hoptimus Prime posted:

I'm thinking SE Asia somewhere hence posting in this thread but I'm also open to South America. I doubt we'd be able to move to Europe (due it being expensive and the fact that he has no degree).

I've also been playing with the Star Alliance RTW Itinerary creator all night. If there's nowhere we could actually live, I'd be down for just traveling for awhile and using helpx.net to find work/beds/food for us. :)

ETA: I also plan on getting my scuba instructor credential, so being near water would be nice. I think I could earn enough to live on by teaching English and then doing scuba excursions on the side. For some reason, I have no desire to stay in the US where we'll have to choose what we do based on health insurance and cost of living and stuff. /whine

For him to stay long term in SE Asia he'll need a visa. The days of just crossing a border every 90 days to renew your tourist stamp perpetually are over. There are ways to do this, most of them involving a halfassed business visa. Which means spending some money. I don't think he can get a spousal visa off of your work visa -- at least I never ran into that configuration for the two years I lived there. The Thaivisa forums are one of the true abominable pits of the internet but they would know the answer to that.

You need to pick between SCUBA and EFL. There are no EFL jobs near the beach. Let me repeat that a few times because no one ever believes me. There are no EFL jobs near the beach. There are no EFL jobs near the beach. There are no EFL jobs near the beach. There are no EFL jobs near the beach. There are no EFL jobs near the beach. There are no EFL jobs near the beach. There are no EFL jobs near the beach. There are no EFL jobs near the beach. There are no EFL jobs near the beach. There are no EFL jobs near the beach. There are no EFL jobs near the beach. There are no EFL jobs near the beach. There are no EFL jobs near the beach. OK? So if you want to be a SCUBA teacher you should do that. If you want to be an EFL teacher you should do that. You may have visa troubles as a SCUBA instructor. You may not. There are SCUBA people here who may have better info. But it's kind of important for you to remember that there are no EFL jobs near the beach.

The no-BA for the husband thing will be easy in a few countries where visas are easy to purchase. This includes SE Asia but the price is a lot higher than it used to be.

When you live abroad you will have to choose what you do based on health insurance and cost of living and stuff too. You will be able to delay that decision for a few years by plugging that hole with "HEY LOOK AT MY FANTASY LIFESTYLE" but eventually you will either have a kid or realize that you need a structure upon which to build a retirement and those two things become very tricky when you live abroad.

Talk to Senso for a while. He moved to Vietnam with his wife and young boy.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
You could both live and work in Cambodia (Phnom Penh specifically), which I now consider a livable destination for most healthy people. There's even a real hospital that's been built, though treatment for anything chronic or super-serious still involves transport or air evac to Bangkok. Other than healthcare, I wouldn't have any second thoughts about it. The real third issue there is employment, but there's a disproportionately large community of expat professionals due to the weird charm of the place and its value as a magnet for NGO & diplomatic types, so you'll find all kinds of businesses there as well as teaching opportunities, regional magazines, design shops, tourism industries. The reason PP comes to mind is that anyone can teach there last I checked (and they do, oi).

Thailand would be a bit tougher on his part, but if you got a job then he could get on as a spouse and could possibly find work, though it's not exactly the easiest market to job hunt in even if you have a degree and a very specific set of skills as tons of people would like to live here. I'm not sure if it's possible anymore to sneak in under the radar and teach without a degree, but I doubt if it is in any of the major populated areas. You'd have to ask our teacher crowd. It's worth noting that in Thailand, working expats who have contributions paid by the company or by themselves (and dependents, I think) are covered by the social security scheme, which covers healthcare and can be continued into retirement. It also has some other meager benefits like a pension, maternity and disability, but the big one for you guys if you're shoestringing it would be access to healthcare. It's not too bad, either, if you're near a city big enough to have some decent private or research hospitals on the list (like Chula in Bangkok).

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Mar 4, 2013

Chair Huxtable
Dec 27, 2004

Heavens me, just look at the time

It's possible to find a teaching job without a degree. I know a few couples where one is qualified and one isn't. It's just a matter of finding a school desperate enough. If teaching is what you and your hubby want to do, then I guess just drop your email here and I'll send you what I've got. Really, just have him check ajarn.com and apply for stuff.

It is also possible to teach really really near the beach. This does not mean you can teach English and teach SCUBA on the side. You still have to choose between them. There is no such thing as "weekend scuba work."

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Oh yeah, also note that there's all kinds of under-the-table work going on in Thailand, but that can be a precarious road to go down. The people on ThaiViser would have you think that so much as mowing your own lawn will result in Thai people leaping out of the bushes to deport you, but they're a bunch of shut-ins. In reality, there are parts of this country where foreigners - including Westerners - (i.e. so not just Asians) "own" completely illegitimate businesses openly and work in them openly without even having a current visa, let alone a work permit or proper paperwork. That's almost entirely on the islands, but can be seen elsewhere. In Bangkok, though, most of the under the table work is either professional or hospitality related. It's not something you want to do full-time if you can avoid it, but it's also not uncommon for businesses to have people working illegitimately, though, frankly. If you can avoid this, do, but your husband may end up having to do it.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Mar 4, 2013

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working

Sheep-Goats posted:

Talk to Senso for a while. He moved to Vietnam with his wife and young boy.

In Vietnam, my company does the visa paperwork. My wife and son were always attached to my business visa so it was no trouble. Even my mom, who moved here about 3 months after us (to be with her grandson) got her 3-months visas renewed for the past year and a half without problems (I just had to pay for her but she gets "bundled" with the family). Hell, I don't even have my work permit and it's been almost two years. My company is annoying me about it but so far, no problem. I don't really care anymore, I'll move out in June or July most likely.

My wife got an online TOEFL certificate before leaving and taught a few classes here. Not through schools but through individuals who organize small classes for friends and neighbors, so it's a gray area but she was able to work part-time that way and make $25/hour without any classroom experience before that. It's just our experience so I cannot recommend doing this, but I guess anywhere in SEA one could find opportunities that are outside the beaten path.

Tytan
Sep 17, 2011

u wot m8?
I'm finally getting my Cambodia workbook sorted (yes, technically you are supposed to have one), since our company is now trying to stick to the labour law as close as possible. Apparently I have to pay for every year I've been here and not had one. :saddowns:

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen
Hey Tytan, you gonna be around PP at the end of the month? I haven't booked my tickets yet because I'm not 100% on which dates I'll be getting off, but since the Japanese school year ends in mid-March and I don't have any classes to teach until April 8th-ish I'm going to make a quick jaunt down to see my old host family and to hang out for a bit in PP and Kampot. Would love to grab some beers if you (or any other goons who might be in the area, not sure if you still pass through at all Reindeer) are available.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
Cool they finally got more seating indoors at NAIA.

Hip Hoptimus Prime
Jul 7, 2009

Thanks for all the replies! It's definitely something to consider. The time at which he could possibly get out is over 2 years off, so we still have a little bit of time on our side where we can build a massive nest egg for getting there and getting situated. If he can stay in, that's what he's going to do, but if he has no choice and he has to get out, then we have some decisions to make (if we don't go abroad, I'll probably be changing careers because without his military benefits, both of us would have to work 2 jobs if I keep my current job in order to pay rent and health care expenses and have money to save and that's with being currently debt-free). We're both pretty healthy people, but if I put him on my work's policy I would have to foot $400/month for him out of my check; my employer wouldn't contribute a thing toward him.

Anyways, thanks again.

DeadMansSuspenders
Jan 10, 2012

I wanna be your left hand man

Well, I bought my tickets so it's official! I fly in to Bangkok on April 19th and head back on May 14th. Expect hectic, worried posts from me closer to the date!

Tytan
Sep 17, 2011

u wot m8?

CronoGamer posted:

Hey Tytan, you gonna be around PP at the end of the month? I haven't booked my tickets yet because I'm not 100% on which dates I'll be getting off, but since the Japanese school year ends in mid-March and I don't have any classes to teach until April 8th-ish I'm going to make a quick jaunt down to see my old host family and to hang out for a bit in PP and Kampot. Would love to grab some beers if you (or any other goons who might be in the area, not sure if you still pass through at all Reindeer) are available.

Hey, I have family visiting from 29th March but if you're over before that then yeah I'll definitely be up for some beers. PM me or shoot me an email when you know what dates you'll be in Phnom Penh: myusername SA @gmail

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
Quick Chiang Mai question. My buddy is about to be there for a few days. Anyone been there recently? What hostel should he stay at and what are the do not misses now? I stayed at Daret's House and rented a scooter for a few days, rode around, hit the zoo, and went mountain biking but this was 2006. Anything else cool?

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Leave a piece of bacon at the BigSuave memorial.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Ribsauce posted:

Quick Chiang Mai question. My buddy is about to be there for a few days. Anyone been there recently? What hostel should he stay at and what are the do not misses now? I stayed at Daret's House and rented a scooter for a few days, rode around, hit the zoo, and went mountain biking but this was 2006. Anything else cool?

Chiang Mai has never really had must-dos that I'm aware of. A lot of people go to Doi Suthep (that temple). Chiang Mai is more centered around the activities:

1) Classes. Probably more people take their cooking, massage or kickboxing classes there than anywhere else.
2) Hilltribe treks. Though these are much better out of Mae Hong Son (which is a very short plane ride away, or a very long bus trip) due to less tourist traffic, it's still a popular activity in Chiang Mai.
3) Animal stuff. Patara Elephant whatever. There some kind of tiger stuff up there now too.
4) Ziplines.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
Whitewater rafting was quite enjoyable if you are into that sort of things.

Rojkir
Jun 26, 2007

WARNING:I AM A FASCIST PIECE OF SHIT.
Police beatings get me hard
I rented a scooter and went waterfall hunting, good times.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Why do Asians so frequently use their powers for evil...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKKXo5woHCE

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Booked a flight to SEA! Going with a buddy and his sister for a few weeks. Flying in through Singapore and jumping over to Thailand. How's this itinerary look?

code:
date		morning			evening
4/11/2013	SIN			Thailand: Bangkok
4/12/2013	Thailand: Bangkok	Thailand: Bangkok
4/13/2013	Thailand: Bangkok	Thailand: Bangkok
4/14/2013	Thailand: Bangkok	Thailand: Bangkok 
4/15/2013	Thailand: Bangkok	Thailand: Bangkok
4/16/2013	Thailand: Bangkok	Thailand: Bangkok
4/17/2013	Thailand: Bangkok	Thailand: Phuket
4/18/2013	Thailand: Phuket	Thailand: Phuket
4/19/2013	Thailand: Phuket	Thailand: Phuket
4/20/2013	Thailand: Phuket	Thailand: Phuket
4/21/2013	Thailand: Phuket	Malaysia: Kuala Lumpur
4/22/2013	Malaysia: Kuala Lumpur	Malaysia: Kuala Lumpur
4/23/2013	Malaysia: Kuala Lumpur	Malaysia: Kuala Lumpur
4/24/2013	Malaysia: Kuala Lumpur 9:25	Indonesia: Bali - Ubud 12:30
4/25/2013	Indonesia: Bali - Ubud	Indonesia: Bali - Ubud
4/26/2013	Indonesia: Bali - Ubud	Indonesia: Bali - Seminkyak
4/27/2013	Indonesia: Bali	Indonesia: Jakarta
4/28/2013	Indonesia: Jakarta	Indonesia: Jakarta
4/29/2013	Indonesia: Jakarta	Singapore
4/30/2013	Singapore	Singapore
5/1/2013	Singapore	Singapore
5/2/2013	Singapore	Singapore
5/3/2013	Singapore	Singapore

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found

A MIRACLE posted:

Booked a flight to SEA! Going with a buddy and his sister for a few weeks. Flying in through Singapore and jumping over to Thailand. How's this itinerary look?

code:
date		morning			evening
4/11/2013	SIN			Thailand: Bangkok
4/12/2013	Thailand: Bangkok	Thailand: Bangkok
4/13/2013	Thailand: Bangkok	Thailand: Bangkok
4/14/2013	Thailand: Bangkok	Thailand: Bangkok 
4/15/2013	Thailand: Bangkok	Thailand: Bangkok
4/16/2013	Thailand: Bangkok	Thailand: Bangkok
4/17/2013	Thailand: Bangkok	Thailand: Phuket
4/18/2013	Thailand: Phuket	Thailand: Phuket
4/19/2013	Thailand: Phuket	Thailand: Phuket
4/20/2013	Thailand: Phuket	Thailand: Phuket
4/21/2013	Thailand: Phuket	Malaysia: Kuala Lumpur
4/22/2013	Malaysia: Kuala Lumpur	Malaysia: Kuala Lumpur
4/23/2013	Malaysia: Kuala Lumpur	Malaysia: Kuala Lumpur
4/24/2013	Malaysia: Kuala Lumpur 9:25	Indonesia: Bali - Ubud 12:30
4/25/2013	Indonesia: Bali - Ubud	Indonesia: Bali - Ubud
4/26/2013	Indonesia: Bali - Ubud	Indonesia: Bali - Seminkyak
4/27/2013	Indonesia: Bali	Indonesia: Jakarta
4/28/2013	Indonesia: Jakarta	Indonesia: Jakarta
4/29/2013	Indonesia: Jakarta	Singapore
4/30/2013	Singapore	Singapore
5/1/2013	Singapore	Singapore
5/2/2013	Singapore	Singapore
5/3/2013	Singapore	Singapore

You've got a lot of time in cities. I'd spend less time in Bangkok, replace Phuket with less city like Koh Phangan, add in some serious eating time in Penang, spend more time in Bali, skip bewildering and unattractive Jakarta, and spend one night less in Singapore. Unless, of course, the cities are the main reason to go - in which case that looks pretty good.

Onta vasa
Oct 15, 2004

Look what I made :drugnerd:
I'm gonna be in Thailand for a month starting April 5th. I'm going to be in BKK for a week or so if any goons want to meetup. After that I'm going on a road trip with some couch surfers for Songkran 10th-16th, volunteering for a week 17th-24th, and then slowly making my way to Cambodia.

This is likely the beginning of my nomadic life, traveling the world and I'm super excited.

Rojkir
Jun 26, 2007

WARNING:I AM A FASCIST PIECE OF SHIT.
Police beatings get me hard
Skip Jakarta and skip a day (or two) of Singapore and one (or two) of BKK. Add time in a relaxing place.

duralict
Sep 18, 2007

this isn't hug club at all
Go to Angkor.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

Sheep-Goats posted:

Chiang Mai has never really had must-dos that I'm aware of. A lot of people go to Doi Suthep (that temple). Chiang Mai is more centered around the activities:

1) Classes. Probably more people take their cooking, massage or kickboxing classes there than anywhere else.
2) Hilltribe treks. Though these are much better out of Mae Hong Son (which is a very short plane ride away, or a very long bus trip) due to less tourist traffic, it's still a popular activity in Chiang Mai.
3) Animal stuff. Patara Elephant whatever. There some kind of tiger stuff up there now too.
4) Ziplines.

I'll just send him this. Thanks.

quote:

Go to Angkor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found

duralict posted:

Go to Angkor.

Or Sukhothai. Very impressive and 1/100th the crowds.