Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Zombywuf posted:

Jenkins is basically a pretty front end on a bunch of build scripts you write yourself.

please reference my first comment, tia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

i was a build engineer for 6 months and i would literally rather go back to work at the print shop

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Werthog 95 posted:

anybody post this yet https://www.facebook.com/notes/facebook-engineering/under-the-hood-dalvik-patch-for-facebook-for-android/10151345597798920

the list of method names in their app doesn't fit in 5 MB

instead of fixing the facebook app, they hack dalvik from the app

i got really pissed about this in the android thread last night. when it's 2013 and you're finding/editing vendor-specific memory addresses at runtime...on your runtime, there was probably already a point quite a while back where maybe using generated scala code for android based on your mobile javascript should have been reconsidered. at this point it sounds like a massive sunk cost fallacy over a code gen system that sounds pretty suspect without the runtime edidting

facebook in general doesn't seem to have any moderation in the form of someone saying "ok that's really clever and cool that you got that to work when it shouldn't, but seriously stop"

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

rotor posted:

i was a build engineer for 6 months and i would literally rather go back to work at the print shop

it ain't so bad

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

it ain't so bad
   \

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Zombywuf posted:

The comments on that are ... good.

My world is turned upside down.

the comment i restrained myself from making was along the lines of "this is awful and you should feel awful", but at the time there were like three comments and none of the particularly bad. now it looks like it have been right at home, which makes me happy

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe
lol SWSP closed the Coding horrors thread

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

ultramiraculous posted:

i got really pissed about this in the android thread last night. when it's 2013 and you're finding/editing vendor-specific memory addresses at runtime...on your runtime, there was probably already a point quite a while back where maybe using generated scala code for android based on your mobile javascript should have been reconsidered. at this point it sounds like a massive sunk cost fallacy over a code gen system that sounds pretty suspect without the runtime edidting

facebook in general doesn't seem to have any moderation in the form of someone saying "ok that's really clever and cool that you got that to work when it shouldn't, but seriously stop"

eh, the fix is just for gingerbread though, i like to imagine that all the engineers but one went "oh well, only new phones get the new app", but that remaining sperg is moving heaven and earth to overcome the lovely update situation on android through random hotpatches

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

eh, the fix is just for gingerbread though, i like to imagine that all the engineers but one went "oh well, only new phones get the new app", but that remaining sperg is moving heaven and earth to overcome the lovely update situation on android through random hotpatches

I think half of android devices run on gingerbread.

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

i'm surprised people still expect java code they once wrote to run on every dalvik

Sang-
Nov 2, 2007

rotor posted:

oh, ok, so instead of 3 million methods they just have 1 million methods, that's reasonable i guess. yep, Dalviks fault.

More like everything is written in Scala (hopefully, otherwise oh dear god), where the collection inheritance hierarchy is really complicated, mostly because of traits.

So a single collection mixes in a large number of traits, where there is lots of cross over.

For example collection.immutable.Vector:

code:

final class Vector[+A](private[collection] val startIndex: Int, private[collection] val endIndex: Int, focus: Int)
extends AbstractSeq[A]
   with IndexedSeq[A]
   with GenericTraversableTemplate[A, Vector]
   with IndexedSeqLike[A, Vector[A]]
   with VectorPointer[A @uncheckedVariance]
   with Serializable
   with CustomParallelizable[A, ParVector[A]]
where IndexedSeq and AbstractSeq both, for example, mixin in SeqLike[A, Repr]

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Hard NOP Life posted:

lol SWSP closed the Coding horrors thread

thank gently caress

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

but i didn't get a chance to show off my super awesome hash function :(

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

ultramiraculous posted:

Wait so they took their lovely slow JS, wrote a JS -> Scala translator, then somehow got that to work? Or did they write the thing over again in Scala?

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

ultramiraculous posted:

based on my discussions with former facebook people this seems to be a reasonably accurate assessment.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Malcolm XML posted:

Wait so they took their lovely slow JS, wrote a JS -> Scala translator, then somehow got that to work? Or did they write the thing over again in Scala?

actually it might be the latter. looking back, there's a chance i mis-inferred and read "moved from javascript to java" as "converted from javascript to java".

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

rotor posted:

based on my discussions with former facebook people this seems to be a reasonably accurate assessment.

~* hacker culture *~

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
sf is weird

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

tef posted:

sf is weird

yeah but the food's good

weird
Jun 4, 2012

by zen death robot
Perl's cool, but it definitely takes me longer to stop making dumb "didn't remember the syntax correctly" mistakes after I haven't used it for a while than with most other languages. Still preferable to shell, though.

detroit
Nov 11, 2009
whats the point of sealed classes in c#????

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
none of your business

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
clojurescript update: still goofy as hell, still really fun. functional languages are neat-o :3:

i'm still not convinced it's viable for the browser, though, no matter how many source maps and fanciness you put on top of it. clojure is certainly more suited for working with global states (a necessity for event driven programming) and interop than other functional languages, but still, it still feels like a square peg and a round hole at times

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Shaggar posted:

none of your business

Deus Rex
Mar 5, 2005

abraham linksys posted:

clojurescript update: still goofy as hell, still really fun. functional languages are neat-o :3:

i'm still not convinced it's viable for the browser, though, no matter how many source maps and fanciness you put on top of it. clojure is certainly more suited for working with global states (a necessity for event driven programming) and interop than other functional languages, but still, it still feels like a square peg and a round hole at times

Elm is pretty cool as far as experimental browser languages go, FRP works very nicely both with haskell-like syntax and semantics and with the async nature of writing for the browser

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Deus Rex posted:

Elm is pretty cool as far as experimental browser languages go, FRP works very nicely both with haskell-like syntax and semantics and with the async nature of writing for the browser

this is blowing my mind right now. i had heard of "FRP" in passing but never made the connection that it could make things like dom binding quite this simple/magical/whatever

im also sure that it produces code that is nigh-undebuggable, but i'll play around w it soon

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

http://elm-lang.org/blog/games-in-elm/part-0/Making-Pong.html

I like how it's just wall to wall hardcoded constants everywhere.

Also, I can't find anything on the ELM site about cycle breaking.

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008
i should really read perl best practices or smth because my C++ code is infinitely better than my perl code.

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008
like i've been making some pretty bad perl code for the past 6months and i showed my manager some C++ code yesterday and he was like woa n1

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

I learned something today!

quote:

Here's a handy trick that every Elm programmer should know:
code:
{--}
add x y = x + y
--}
Just add or remove the } on the first line and you'll toggle between commented and uncommented!

this ELM trick works in java too:

Java code:
/** */
int a=1;
//*/
Java code:
/** *
int a=1;
//*/

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

grats on the jerb

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

OBAMA BIN LinkedIn posted:

like i've been making some pretty bad perl code for the past 6months and i showed my manager some C++ code yesterday and he was like woa n1

psh w/e. you're not a bad a perl coder as walmart employee id x6yang whose code i have to fix 12 years later

higher order perl is really good but more algorithms/topdown
beautiful code and beautiful data are java centered but a lot of the ideas apply
e:if you dont have Errors and it works right and another perl coder can read, understand and maintain it, it's fine. yolo bitch

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Jonny 290 posted:

e:if you dont have Errors and it works right and another perl coder can read, understand and maintain it, it's fine. yolo bitch

this goes for any programming

if it works now and might be maintainable in the future, it's fine

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
RubyGems 2.0.1 Released
published 05 Mar 2013 by Eric Hodel
NOTE: This release has been yanked due to a bug in HTTPS handling that may leave you unable to install gems or upgrade RubyGems. 2.0.2 has been released to address these issues.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

good looking code is overrated, as long as there are reasonable abstract units with non-terrible interfaces the details aren't so important

wrote a lot of code in k, a language where this code is not really atypical (example of real shipping code from the vendor):
code:
wh:{$[#x:b[`where]c;{$[@x;x;(&)~*x;,/.z.s'1_x;,x]}x;x]};f:{$[(1<#x)&(11=t)|~t:@x;f'x;-11=t;*|`\:x;x]}
nm:{(!).+l[{($[|/(x:r j)~/:(`;","),k;{$[1<#x;.z.s x 1;-11=@x;*|`\:x;`x]}y;i x];y:x y)}x]y}
lj:{+({x!!#. x}'x),y$(0!.*x)(*!x){y[1](*y:+`\:'y)?x}'1_'z} ;lr:{a!:a:,y;b!:b:,r j+2;lj[$[x;b;a];$[x;a;b];,c r j+:3]}
basically each function is hugely troublesome to understand, but the data model is simple and as long as you document what the functions do another programmer can just rewrite it rather than trying to fix the original version if some issue crops up

well, this is perhaps not the most persuasive argument, but localized ugliness is not that bad ugliness

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Cocoa Crispies posted:

this goes for any programming

if it works now and might be maintainable in the future, it's fine

Until you start programming for embedded (8k processors 64k ram). Then you don't have to worry about silly poo poo like user interactions :smug: Then my code doesn't have to be very portable or maintainable for the most part (I still try to keep it clean and documented though.) Static memory allocation no mallocs everydayyyyyy.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Serious Q time though: Why would I use Perl instead of C/C++? I want to learn it but so far (emphasis on so far) I haven't ran into to much that couldn't be coded almost as easily in C/C++. If there is a huge ultra mega super duper thing that makes Perl better in a certain situation than C I would like to know so I could look forward to something in my studies. :smith:

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i sort of suspect that you aren't appreciating some of the conveniences of perl since you are probably feeling more of a mental friction working in it than you do c/c++. keep it up for a bit. depending on your situation a pragmatic answer is cpan though, adding dependencies in c/c++ is a much more heavy-weight sort of deal than it is in perl

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

ratbert90 posted:

Serious Q time though: Why would I use Perl instead of C/C++? I want to learn it but so far (emphasis on so far) I haven't ran into to much that couldn't be coded almost as easily in C/C++. If there is a huge ultra mega super duper thing that makes Perl better in a certain situation than C I would like to know so I could look forward to something in my studies. :smith:

my first week at work i got tasked with generating hex configuration files for a product from a spreadsheet. i read the spreadsheet with a cpan module and wrote the hex file with pack. the whole thing took a couple days, as opposed to the weeks that had been estimated. generally string handling is where perl shines, and the availability of eighteen billion cpan modules means that half your work is done for you most of the time. it really is a swiss army chain saw for one-off programs

it's useful for bigger stuff too, but the perl you'd write for a program that is going to be maintained and reused is much different than the perl you would write if you wanted to reverse all the lines in every file whose name matches /f{1,3]}\d\.bar/ or whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Otto Skorzeny posted:

my first week at work i got tasked with generating hex configuration files for a product from a spreadsheet. i read the spreadsheet with a cpan module and wrote the hex file with pack. the whole thing took a couple days, as opposed to the weeks that had been estimated. generally string handling is where perl shines, and the availability of eighteen billion cpan modules means that half your work is done for you most of the time. it really is a swiss army chain saw for one-off programs

it's useful for bigger stuff too, but the perl you'd write for a program that is going to be maintained and reused is much different than the perl you would write if you wanted to reverse all the lines in every file whose name matches /f{1,3]}\d\.bar/ or whatever

Ah this is good to know! Now I am looking forward to learning how to string handle in a higher-functioning language. <string.h> more like <hangme.h>. Thanks!