Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

randyest posted:

Me neither. Been using it since he first jailbreak and never an issue. Maybe people are accidentally setting their button(s) to do something weird or something?

How would you accidentally set anything on Activator? It's pretty goddamned obvious what the settings mean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
I had exchanged at least half a dozen emails with Ryan Petrich regarding bugs with Activator "taking over" functions, even when no action was assigned to them.

The Home button issues back with iOS 4 were the most obvious.
With stock iOS (non-jailbroken), the Home button "worked as expected": Push it quickly and it does something, hold it a little and it still does something. Hold it long enough, and it triggers Voice control or Siri.

...but not with Activator. Back in iOS 4.1/4.2.1, with Activator version 1.43, 1.44, ... 1.53 (etc), it would cancel out the Home button push if you didn't use it *just right*. Quick press? It sometimes worked. Held for a long time? It sometimes worked. Not quick press? (longer than a quick tap, but shorter than the long hold) It canceled-out/ignored the button press completely.

Basically, if you had your finger on the Home button for the "wrong" amount of milliseconds, it would be like it wasn't registering a press at all - and this was when NOTHING was assigned to the Home button. The developer's response? "This is the expected behavior" ... Um, nope.

I have to admit, since reporting all the bugs back in iOS 4 and since getting my iPhone 4S with newer versions of iOS and Activator, I haven't really noticed any problems with it. The Home button issue was supposedly fixed back with version 1.5.4 (in the iOS 4.3 days).
However, if you do notice your Home button acting up, or your Sleep buttons, or you Volume buttons, or a screen-swipe not registering when you swear you pressed it correctly, just remember that Activator is monitoring everything you do.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Xenomorph posted:

The developer's response? "This is the expected behavior" ... Um, nope.

This seems like a recurring theme with you and jailbreak devs.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
I posted about this in the games thread too, but I figured people here might have a better idea: Does being on jailbroken 6.1.2 break Fairway Solitaire? It was working just fine until I upgraded and re-jailbroke and now the daily level menu crashes the game.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

90% of that is SBSettings and toggles/themes for SBSettings. As Activator is a dependency to SBS, SBS (and everything tied to it) needs to go as well when you remove Activator.

I've been meaning to ask: does anyone here know how hard/feasible would it be to edit/add a toggle to a mod like NCSettings or the BDP. All I want is a toggle for Settings-Music-Show All Music (on/off). I know abolition nothing about coding but could this be something that could be edited in somehow? I know SBSettings is a bit more open as far as toggle support but NCSettings is the only app that has a minimal UI that screams "hey we get that the notification center is for notification so we'll try to take as little space as possible carry on".

I'm hoping you've found a solution, I'm interested in this too.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

The Rokstar posted:

I posted about this in the games thread too, but I figured people here might have a better idea: Does being on jailbroken 6.1.2 break Fairway Solitaire? It was working just fine until I upgraded and re-jailbroke and now the daily level menu crashes the game.
It shouldn't, I can continue to play Fairway Solitaire and the daily missions without any problems.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Diabolik900 posted:

This seems like a recurring theme with you and jailbreak devs.

Which ones are you talking about? The one in Activator that was incorrectly doing something, but was fixed, or the one in NCSettings that was working correctly, but then broke?

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Ezrem posted:

You never once had to push the home/power button more than once in the iOS 4.x days? That was the biggest bug I can recall. It wasn't even always the same behavior, sometimes it would work but with a delay, sometimes the press wouldn't register at all. Also, it was just some of the time. Enough to make you think...maybe I didn't push it hard enough...or maybe the button is wearing out?
Maybe once or twice total ever. Guess I'm lucky?

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

Xenomorph posted:

Which ones are you talking about? The one in Activator that was incorrectly doing something, but was fixed, or the one in NCSettings that was working correctly, but then broke?

No literally all your posts about jailbreak problems are you talking with the devs and butting heads with them.

I love Activator.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Zigmidge posted:

No literally all your posts about jailbreak problems are you talking with the devs and butting heads with them.

I love Activator.

This is what I meant, except that I'm much more sympathetic to your position. The stuff you can do with Activator is great, but the problems you described with it were definitely real (at least in the 4.x days, I haven't been regularly jailbroken in a while now), and shouldn't be written off as expected behavior. And it's basically been the same story with a bunch of other tweaks too.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Ah I didn't mean to seem unsympathetic. Just wanted to throw in my Activator two cents while it was still the topic. I like to follow Xeno's posts because his jailbreak experience seems to be completely opposite mine. The only trouble I've ever had that wasn't fixed with a simple respring is Quasar's weirdness causing apps to crash on me but that's something I deemed acceptable before I went for it.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
My complaint with it is that I literally went from IOS 3.1 to 6.1 and in the old days SBSettings worked perfectly on its own with no dependencies and therefore no Home button issues on the old 3GS.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008
I just blacklist everything in Activator, so I can keep SBSettings, yet not have to deal with it interfering with my button presses. It's still kinda dumb that SBSettings lists Activator as a dependancy, though.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

As someone who HATES Activator, I installed it for something that ended getting uninstalled but kept it for Springflash. On my 5 I haven't noticed any slowdown/lag of any kind and Springflash is pretty drat handy so I'm keeping it for now only for that.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008
Is the respring cache fix still necessary with 6.1.2 and the newest evasi0n? I just updated and rejailbroke last night and was not certain.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
Yes. The cache bug is not fixed.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
I've yet to see any information on what this "cache bug" is. What cache, and where?

NZP
Jan 4, 2013

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Aight, what's the best tweak to block texts from numbers? Your mother won't leave me alone.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Xenomorph posted:

I've yet to see any information on what this "cache bug" is. What cache, and where?

The app icon cache can get corrupted and cause blank or the wrong icon on random apps.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Xenomorph posted:

Not sure what specific cache but I believe it was something related to files/logs created when the phone repsring that were not being deleted so they just kept piling up.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

bobfather posted:

Yes. The cache bug is not fixed.

Cool thanks. If anyone needs the repo it's http://rpetri.ch/repo/

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

ASK ME ABOUT MUTILATING MY PET TO SUIT MY OWN AESTHETIC PREFERENCES

Xenomorph posted:

This is the one in question.
http://modmyi.com/content/9956-respringcachefix-cleans-junk-files-created-resprings-ios-6-1.html

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

Anyone having an issue with Chrome? My app crashes constantly, since the update, and I can only assume its because I'm jailbroken. This is on my iPad.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

No there's a bug in the new chrome. If you can you can rush to the settings before it crashes, and turn off reporting back to google. That will fix it for the time being.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003
There was a post earlier in the thread about it with a link to a google page but the gist of it is that it's related to crash reporting. Just reinstall and enable it if you can't get to settings in time.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Ev posted:

Anyone tried Touchpal? It's a swipe keyboard and works pretty well (so far). The app's in Chinese so you have to search for it in Cydia (actually hit the search button) but it's kinda cool. Looks like the same developer has a version of it in the regular app store too.

Oh god, this is so good. This (and MyWi) immediately raced to the top of my "this is why I jailbreak" list. It's the ONE thing I missed about Android phones.

Screenshot for people unfamiliar with the concept of swype keyboards - basically you just stab at the keyboard and the keyboard AI figures out what you type, with a far better interface than the default iOS keyboard.

Plus having to puzzle out random Chinese interface elements makes me feel like I'm a Cyberpunk 2020 character.

The only problem I've had with it is in typing out email addresses which the predictive input utterly fails at.

Lum_ fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Mar 6, 2013

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
That isn't swipe text input. That's T9 input. Swipe input is dragging your finger from one letter to the next to spell words.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
I know, I switch back and forth between the two - mainly I am nerdgasming about the better predictive input which works for both.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

I asked in the general apps thread but it might be better suited to here.

I'd like to be able to use my idevice as a wireless network file storage for small files that I use daily between machines that aren't specifically mine namely regular texts and my keepass file. I already carry around my idevices to these same places so I'd rather not have to carry around a usb key as well. Is there an app that can masquerade as a network place that I can access through windows explorer? This would let me automate a few things rather than manually launch and access a wifi web server that so many of these file management apps do on top of an extra layer of security (You need my idevice as well as the master password to access keepass).

I already use Dropbox for work but can't leave my keepass file there, not to mention needing to remember to sync it every single time I use it is more trouble than dropbox is worth (I really hate how dropbox is crippled by apple's sandbox philosophy).

tldr: I'd like to set keepass to point to a local network directory share to access the master file that is on my idevice when I'm on the local wifi network. I need an app that can share my idevice that Windows and macs can see as another network location.

Ev
Aug 3, 2006

Lum_ posted:

The only problem I've had with it is in typing out email addresses which the predictive input utterly fails at.

If you tap the little book that has an A on it you can turn off the predictive text/autocorrect to make it easier to type email addresses. If I don't turn it off it gets really annoying trying to type my email to login anywhere.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Is there a better version of the T9 keyboard out?

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

I've seen that before - it gives *no* information on what the bug actually is.

"If you respring, STUFF with FILES will happen!" ok... what stuff? what files? Logs? Something's cache?

evasi0n has been updated half a dozen times to fix various things. UIKit and WinterBoard has been updated as well to fix issues with things not working right. When bugs were identified, core jailbreak developers (including saurik) jumped on it. If this is such a problem, why haven't any of them acknowledged it?

It's not that I don't trust the "FIX" developer, I just want to know what the actual issue is.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

real_scud posted:

It shouldn't, I can continue to play Fairway Solitaire and the daily missions without any problems.

It seems to have magically fixed itself this morning, so v:shobon:v

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Is there a tweak that let's me hold down the shift button and hit backspace to delete whole words, like on Windows/OSX?

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe

Thirst Mutilator posted:

...hold down the shift button and hit backspace to delete whole words, like on Windows/OSX?

:aaaaa:

edit: actually, I just tried this on Win7 and it didn't work - is it just an OSX thing?

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Yeah, I think it's control on Windows and CMD on OSX specifically (it's muscle memory), not shift, oops

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE posted:

:aaaaa:

edit: actually, I just tried this on Win7 and it didn't work - is it just an OSX thing?

It depends on the program I think but yes it's pretty common. You don't think devs delete by character all the time do you?

EDIT: VVVVVVVVVV Ahhhhh, touche.

The Dave fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Mar 7, 2013

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe

The Dave posted:

It depends on the program I think but yes it's pretty common. You don't think devs delete by character all the time do you?

That's the thing - I knew there were some programming environments / text editors that did this. I didn't think it was a system-wide feature (and as far as Windows goes, it doesn't seem like it is.)

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE posted:

That's the thing - I knew there were some programming environments / text editors that did this. I didn't think it was a system-wide feature (and as far as Windows goes, it doesn't seem like it is.)

It's pretty widespread on Windows. Notable exception off the top of my head is Notepad, I think it tries to insert a Unicode character but it just looks like a box.

Anyways, no one knows of a tweak that does this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

Thirst Mutilator posted:

It's pretty widespread on Windows. Notable exception off the top of my head is Notepad, I think it tries to insert a Unicode character but it just looks like a box.

Anyways, no one knows of a tweak that does this?

Just hold down backspace? That's been a standard iOS feature.

• Locked thread