Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

theflyingorc posted:

Why in the world do you not think this is a thing that will happen?

They could also do what Disney is doing and leverage all their properties in something. Heck, they might have been working on it but pulled back to think things through when Disney made their announcement. Mickey Mouse is probably literally the only icon more valuable than Mario.

Haven't Game Freak said that they never want to make a proper Pokemon game on anything other than a handheld? I suppose they could get someone else to do a Stadium style game for the NFC stuff but that's kinda :geno:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Crowbear posted:

Haven't Game Freak said that they never want to make a proper Pokemon game on anything other than a handheld? I suppose they could get someone else to do a Stadium style game for the NFC stuff but that's kinda :geno:

Oh, not a proper Pokemon game, that doesn't work with the general idea of NFC stuff. But there's a billion ways to use Pokemon (or other licenses) to generate an NFC game in the setting. It's not something I would care about, but I'm not the target demographic for Skylanders, either.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

theflyingorc posted:

Oh, not a proper Pokemon game, that doesn't work with the general idea of NFC stuff. But there's a billion ways to use Pokemon (or other licenses) to generate an NFC game in the setting. It's not something I would care about, but I'm not the target demographic for Skylanders, either.

I'd buy my favourite pokemon just for the figures of my favourite pokemon, let alone a platformer/action game to go with them.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

theflyingorc posted:

Yeah that would be weird, I guess. Actually the whole figurine thing clashes with a lot of stuff in Pokemon (do you throw it out or replace it when your pokemon evolves?). I guess they could do something dumb like using it for the Rumble series which would be a big wet fart for me.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
One idea I saw mentioned on Neogaf seemed pretty cool (...in the usual nerd sort of way): Pokemon card game w/NFC. Use them in real life or play online, can't cheat with printed cards like with other camera based stuff.

Another one was special NFC Lego bricks in sets that could unlock the stuff in Lego CIty or whatever down the line.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

MrFlibble posted:

I'd buy my favourite pokemon just for the figures of my favourite pokemon, let alone a platformer/action game to go with them.

This is pretty much why I collect Skylanders. The game doesn't last me long but the toys themselves look awesome.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Katana Gomai posted:

I can't believe this is even a thing you are arguing about, there is no reason for them not to exist and it's painfully obvious that they would be a great option to have. No matter how much "but it works just fine for me" anecdotal evidence you stack up, the fact is that analog is a great thing for racing games (and others). Quit defending every single thing Nintendo does.
Well the original discussion was about going from the 360 to Wii U version of Need For Speed Most Wanted. Wii U version has some exciting features and I was wondering how much I'd really lose out by not having analog triggers this time. Not trying to "defend" anything -- I officially wish that the Wii U gamepad had analog triggers (I assume your post wasn't entirely directed at me though)!

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Crowbear posted:

(do you throw it out or replace it when your pokemon evolves?).

You transform it, duh.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

The digital triggers don't bother me much since they only matter for the most hardcore of racing games, but yeah, absolutely no reason they shouldn't be there. Also absolutely no reason the Pro controller doesn't have a mic jack. There were a lot of really stupid decisions with this machine.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
It would probably create absolute chaos if Nintendo created a Skylanders Pokemon where fully evolved Pokemon figurines were really rare and therefore expensive to get.

Imagine the money spent if you don't know what Pokemon you get. You buy the Pokeball in stores and you have to be surprised at what you get. "I'VE BLOWN THROUGH A THOUSAND BUCKS AND ALL I GET ARE BUTTERFREES. gently caress YOU NINTENDO!"

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Bombadilillo posted:

Yeah, you have your pokemon statue. You level him up. Take him over to your friends house and NFC it into his WiiU. Your pokemon with your levels and stats and whatnot is there. It ties stuff to the object. (Dont lose it)

Real life Team Rocket gonna steal your Pikachu statue.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

It would probably create absolute chaos if Nintendo created a Skylanders Pokemon where fully evolved Pokemon figurines were really rare and therefore expensive to get.

Imagine the money spent if you don't know what Pokemon you get. You buy the Pokeball in stores and you have to be surprised at what you get. "I'VE BLOWN THROUGH A THOUSAND BUCKS AND ALL I GET ARE BUTTERFREES. gently caress YOU NINTENDO!"
Oh jesus if they all came in randomized Pokeballs it'd be ridiculous. I think the fully evolved ones would be normal priced at least.*

*Available only at Nintendo World Store in NY during special events twice a year.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Minidust posted:

The way that article describes NFC in games reminds me of the GameBoy e-reader cards actually.
I bought a bunch of those.:negative:

So did I. And I still have all the stuff I bought for them tucked away neatly in a cardboard card box.

I really wish there were more Super Mario Bros. 3 cards. The extra levels were worth the e-Reader alone.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
For non dlc game uses of nfc, there is the example of Wii fit which will have an exercise dongle you can take with you then swipe at the controller to upload your walking stats.

Which is still kind of pointless I think since you could use any other wireless standard to transmit that data. I don't really understand Nintendo's focus on it at all, and companies like Activation or Disney would rather sell their own portal to use with their toys.

It could make it easy to buy poo poo with Google wallet I guess, but most uses are exactly "on disc dlc".

A monster rancher type game where any NFC item randomly generates a monster like music CDs used to in the old one would be pretty cool.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

greatn posted:

For non dlc game uses of nfc, there is the example of Wii fit which will have an exercise dongle you can take with you then swipe at the controller to upload your walking stats.

Which is still kind of pointless I think since you could use any other wireless standard to transmit that data. I don't really understand Nintendo's focus on it at all, and companies like Activation or Disney would rather sell their own portal to use with their toys.

It could make it easy to buy poo poo with Google wallet I guess, but most uses are exactly "on disc dlc".

A monster rancher type game where any NFC item randomly generates a monster like music CDs used to in the old one would be pretty cool.

Pretty sure its just for Skylanders style games. I don't think its a secret either. Skylanders is a hit. Nintendo futureproofed WiiU so you dont have to buy a dongle to play those type games when they arrive.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Bombadilillo posted:

Pretty sure its just for Skylanders style games. I don't think its a secret either. Skylanders is a hit. Nintendo futureproofed WiiU so you dont have to buy a dongle to play those type games when they arrive.

Activision is making money on the dongle itself, even selling different versions of it, sometimes to people who don't even play the game.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
As far as I know, Skylanders doesn't actually use the NFC standard and the figures won't be compatible with the Gamepad.

In fact, the next Skylanders game is even going to require a new base and the old one won't even work anymore.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!
So in this hypothetical Wii U version of Skylanders you wouldn't actually be able to use the gamepad to play, right? Don't the figures need to sit on the "portal" to work?

Seems like a clunky setup.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Crowbear posted:

So in this hypothetical Wii U version of Skylanders you wouldn't actually be able to use the gamepad to play, right? Don't the figures need to sit on the "portal" to work?

It could be a quick "scan" type thing instead. Skylanders requires the constant connection because it saves xp or whatever and you can swap out at any time.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

elf help book posted:

It could be a quick "scan" type thing instead. Skylanders requires the constant connection because it saves xp or whatever and you can swap out at any time.

Right, I'm talking about Skylanders specifically. The quick swapping and persistent leveling seems pretty integral to how the games are designed, and I can't imagine them significantly reworking how the game is structured to let people not buy their proprietary doohickey.

There's just no incentive for Activision or Disney not to use their own peripheral.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Crowbear posted:

Right, I'm talking about Skylanders specifically. The quick swapping and persistent leveling seems pretty integral to how the games are designed, and I can't imagine them significantly reworking how the game is structured to let people not buy their proprietary doohickey.

There's just no incentive for Activision or Disney not to use their own peripheral.

Agreed, which is why I think Nintendo touting NFC is for their own projects not someone else's moneymaker.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
If Nintendo tries something like Smashlanders or Kartlanders, I have to imagine there would be backlash from a large segment of gamers who don't feel like buying toy figurines to get to on disc content.

But we'll see what they come up with.

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Takin ova da world :cool:

KimT posted:

Zelda WiiU has no dungeon items, you have to create your inventory by scanning household objects

"Oh yeah man, I scanned in my Toaster and shot Light Arrows out of that thing against Ganondorf. I heard the Microwave works well against his final form. I just used a Lawnmower."

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

greatn posted:

If Nintendo tries something like Smashlanders or Kartlanders, I have to imagine there would be backlash from a large segment of gamers who don't feel like buying toy figurines to get to on disc content.

But we'll see what they come up with.

Like most Nintendo backlashes it'll be, "THIS PISSES ME OFF BECAUSE I'M STILL GOING TO BUY IT"

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

NFC-powered Monster Rancher. Scan random poo poo in your house to generate your monster party. Make it happen.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Crowbear posted:

They have to do this now. That doesn't mean that they'd have to do that in the future or with Nintendo's implementation of NFC. And that doesn't even take into account the possibility of just using the pad as the portal and not as a controller. If Nintendo makes it possible for Activision to easily sell more toys then Activision will cheerfully adopt whatever convenient method Nintendo provides them with selling toys.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Are we to the point where random poo poo has NFC chips in it? I thought it was just smartphones and some credit cards for the most part at this point.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

greatn posted:

No, there wouldn't. It would be targeted at children, who do not care.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU
Smash with NFC figures would fit in well with the overall theme - when you play through the single player mode doesn't your character end up as a tiny figurine anyway? Hire some guys away from Capcom or Namco and keep expanding the roster until we're at a few hundred characters.

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Takin ova da world :cool:

CubsWoo posted:

Smash with NFC figures would fit in well with the overall theme - when you play through the single player mode doesn't your character end up as a tiny figurine anyway? Hire some guys away from Capcom or Namco and keep expanding the roster until we're at a few hundred characters.

And here I thought Vanilla Brawl was an unbalanced nightmare.

edit:

vvv :ducksiren: :can: :ducksiren: Tread carefully. :v: vvv

Edoraz fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Mar 6, 2013

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Edoraz posted:

And here I thought Vanilla Brawl was an unbalanced nightmare.

Psssst....Smash Brothers was never intended for competitive play.

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2013/03/nintendo_to_show_a_lot_of_unreleased_games_at_the_sxsw_gaming_expo

Looks like a bunch of unreleased WiiU games are going to be showcased at SXSW in Texas this week. Apparently they're showcasing playable versions of Pikmin 3, Lego City Undercover, Monster Hunter 3, NFS Most Wanted, and Wonderful 101. I hope we end up getting some new gameplay videos and possibly release dates from this. I don't hold much hope for it, but it sure would be nice to hear SOMETHING.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
I've seen Jeff from Giantbomb do a lot of things with skylanders and I find the concept interesting, but the game itself looks incredibly generic/boring and it's blatantly a cash grab by not letting you access certain things unless you own specific skylander figures. If Nintendo made a solid platformer or 3D game and let you use/swap characters from most of their franchises I'd probably be interested enough to give it a try. For example, if I could buy a figure of Waluigi and play him in NSMBU...i'd probably buy that.

katkillad2 fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Mar 7, 2013

Brinty
Aug 4, 2012

katkillad2 posted:

I've seen Jeff from Giantbomb do a lot of things with skylanders and I find the concept interesting, but the game itself looks incredibly generic/boring and it's blatantly a cash grab by not letting you access certain things unless you own specific skylander figures. If Nintendo made a solid platformer or 3D game and let you use/swap characters from most of their franchises I'd probably be interested enough to give it a try. For example, if I could buy a figure of Waluigi and play him in NSMBU...i'd probably buy that.

The first game was actually quite fun. Clearly aimed at kids but essentially just a Gauntlet type game with a few crappy puzzles thrown in. The problem was that the first game was kinda slow paced and repeated puzzles too much because KIDS and then Giants just went even more in that direction rather than expanding.

I played through skylanders with just the base set and had fun doing so, If they'd gone even more Gauntlet with the second game It would have probably been one of those "Games you should play" of the year instead of looking like an ugly cash grab attempt to milk the first game's success.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

katkillad2 posted:

Remember that collecting the figures is a big part of the experience.

And that it is marketed to children.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Natron posted:

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2013/03/nintendo_to_show_a_lot_of_unreleased_games_at_the_sxsw_gaming_expo

Looks like a bunch of unreleased WiiU games are going to be showcased at SXSW in Texas this week. Apparently they're showcasing playable versions of Pikmin 3, Lego City Undercover, Monster Hunter 3, NFS Most Wanted, and Wonderful 101. I hope we end up getting some new gameplay videos and possibly release dates from this. I don't hold much hope for it, but it sure would be nice to hear SOMETHING.

Edit: Actually, never mind, I guess the chance to get extra coins is what expires on the 11th.

Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm not familiar with NA Club Nintendo, but doesn't this indicate a release by the 11th?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Meet the new captains; My guess is it's Olimars son; the President's son; and Nikki from Swapnote's tiny future daughter v:v:v

Also confirmed that there's only 3 captains. The skinny purple guy with green hair got cut.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Meet the new captains; My guess is it's Olimars son; the President's son; and Nikki from Swapnote's tiny future daughter v:v:v

Also confirmed that there's only 3 captains. The skinny purple guy with green hair got cut.

pikmin dudes should not have visible eyes unless they're making a weird facial expression THIS IS BULLSHIT

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I remember when the make your own Mii flash game came out I made a butthead that ended up looking pretty similar to the fat guy in that shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

absolutely anything posted:

pikmin dudes should not have visible eyes unless they're making a weird facial expression THIS IS BULLSHIT

This is the first thing I noticed too! Where are my tiny squinty space people..

• Locked thread