Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Zereth posted:

I think at one point due to the way it was set up if you drove off a fatal fall (From falling damage rather than "out of bounds" like in Uldaur) the person driving the bike would die, but the person in the sidecar would live. Didn't last long.

Actually, the driver would survive as well. Basically, the mount counted as a separate creature with its own HP and everything. When running by mobs, the mobs would attack the mount first. When falling, the mount would take the fall damage and the driver and passengers would be totally fine.

The only other griefing I have done was also back in WoW around the same time (before flying was allowed in the starting continents). Goldshire was the first real town outside of the starting area for humans and just down the road from Stormwind, the human capital city and one of the major Alliance trade hubs. It had plenty of lowbies running around, as well as a fair amount of mid-high level characters dueling and just fooling around. From launch until most of the way through the WOTLK expansion, there were a couple of ways to cheat the geometry of the Goldshire Inn to get on the roof. I would run there on my mid-30s undead mage, get to the side of the inn and be killed by the guards. I would then corpse run back and get on the roof before resurrecting on the roof. Being on a PvE server, if I didn't attack an enemy player, I would not be PvP flagged and could sit around all day unable to be killed by any alliance players. I would wait around on the roof and snipe the random PvP flagged lowbies. I would then sit back and laugh as all the Alliance players either ran inside and hid from me or tried to get on the roof themselves.

One day when I was doing this, the only high level alliance player in the area was a gnome mage. He kept trying to get up onto the roof to kill me, but little did he know that the geometry trick did not work for gnomes. I just sat there out of his line-of-sight laughing until I got bored and went to play on my main. About an hour later, I came back and he was still trying to get onto the roof.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

To explain it to those who haven't played WoW...

Back in ye old days of 2006, a new set of raid dungeons was opened up called Ahn'qiraj. However, there was a catch: In order to get access to them, your server had to both have the ability to gather up a shitload of various trade goods to various NPCs and have a person/guild that was insane enough to complete a lengthy questline. Highlights included:

-Completing the most difficult raid at the time in under 5 hours (and this was back in the day where raids involved a significant time investment).
-Beating at least four fairly difficult world bosses.
-Blowing ungodly amounts of very rare gems, ores, etc. to summon one of those bosses
-Grinding up tens of thousands of an item that dropped off of bugs in one of the most boring zones in all of WoW's history. (Though, granted, with each turn-in, you could deputize anyone to also grind up bug parts for you.)

Given the above, typically only one person from the best guilds on each faction would ever reach the end.

Eventually, the war effort and the raiders would finish up, and there'd be a waiting period of a few days (presumably to allow anyone else that was still working on it a chance to blitz through the rest of it while they still had the chance). After that, everything would be in place, and whoever had completed the questline could ring the gong that'd open up the gate to Ahn'Qiraj. After that, an event would play out in front of the gates, and a massive war would start up between players and the baddies of the dungeons that'd only last for half a day or so. If they rang the gong again (or, if someone else with the scepter did), they'd get the rarest mount and title in WoW's history, since that was quite literally the ONLY time you could do it; once the war ended, so too did any chance of ever earning them ever again on that server.

Granted, I do not intimately know what the full situation was, but from my understanding, on one of the servers, the guild of one of the designated scepter-holders had been acting like colossal shitheels in the process of doing the questline. I honestly don't remember what exactly went down, but they ended up pissing off the other guilds enough that at least one of them (might've been a temporary alliance between them) decided to slow said shitheel guild's progress down by griefing them while their own scepter-holder was rushed through the quests. Long story short, by the time the first guild had finished, so too had the other guild. Then it turned out the scepter-holder in the first guild was going to be working the day the gate would be unlockable, and, well, I'm sure you can fill in the blanks.

Sorry if this is on the spergy side.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo
There was massive amounts of guild drama in Everquest during Velious because of a boss named Kerafyrm, or the Sleeper.

A server could support two uber guilds if they were good about sharing boss spawns.

There was a quest to get keys into the Kerafyrm's Lair dungeon where an all-powerful, god-king-level, dragon is artificially put asleep by all other dragons in the world because this guy is able to tear up the world is awoken. (there is lore behind how he was created, but it's weird and I won't post it)

There were guardians stationed in the dungeon to prevent people from defeating the magic keeping the Sleeper down. If a group killed them, they would respawn (within a week I think) as long as the final boss was not killed. Good thing, because these guardians dropped a wide array of "Primal" weapons.

These weapons had a "proc" that cast a really expensive Shaman buff called "Avatar". It adds 100 to every stat for a few minutes. The reason having it on a weapon was so awesome was because it didn't require mana to cast it on yourself and didn't require an emerald to burn every time you cast it. 100 to every stat, at the time, was HUGE when a bonus of +20 to a stat was a fuggin nice piece of gear.

For servers with a few guilds able to farm this dungeon, there was ALWAYS leering between the guilds suspecting that bullshit guild would "wake the sleeper". If a guild did wake the sleeper, there was always immediate and swift payback in some form because Primal Weapons would no longer drop since the dungeon would turn off spawning bosses because there was no point in positioning NPC guards in a dungeon that no longer needed guards*. Either making raids harder during the guild's attempts at bosses (since bosses were not instanced and the dungeon was open to all) or refusing to pick up members who wanted to leave the guild if they had a primal weapon.

So it was the ultimate form of grief because it would literally change where the entire zone would farm at end game.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
Yeah, the AQ event was one of the coolest events ever in WoW, but because it was set up to only be activated by the top guild on the server it usually attracted the type of douchebag who would start the event in the middle of the night.

For the record, the AQ event is a one time per server event that would last 8 hours, was activated by one person after a very, very difficult and long quest chain, and if you missed it you would never be able to get any of the rewards from the event.

[edit] Beaten!

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

EVIR Gibson posted:

For servers with a few guilds able to farm this dungeon, there was ALWAYS leering between the guilds suspecting that bullshit guild would "wake the sleeper". If a guild did wake the sleeper, there was always immediate and swift payback in some form because Primal Weapons would no longer drop since the dungeon would turn off spawning bosses because there was no point in positioning NPC guards in a dungeon that no longer needed guards*. Either making raids harder during the guild's attempts at bosses (since bosses were not instanced and the dungeon was open to all) or refusing to pick up members who wanted to leave the guild if they had a primal weapon.

Nobody wanted to wake the Sleeper because there was no reason to fight him. Sony was adamant he be impossible to kill, but when a team on Rallos Zek finally did, they discovered the dragon had no loot table. (It was their second attempt. The first attempt ended when they got Kerafyrm down to around 20% and the GMs freaked out and despawned the dragon, saying "Oops! Looks like there was a bug!")

Now that is some straight-up classic griefing right there.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
Switchblade Switcharoo

Howard Beale posted:

Nobody wanted to wake the Sleeper because there was no reason to fight him. Sony was adamant he be impossible to kill, but when a team on Rallos Zek finally did, they discovered the dragon had no loot table. (It was their second attempt. The first attempt ended when they got Kerafyrm down to around 20% and the GMs freaked out and despawned the dragon, saying "Oops! Looks like there was a bug!")

Ah, you made me remember more. There was one guild back then where they woke the sleeper just to be jerks. I'll edit this post later with the link to the drama, but it did happen.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

flatluigi posted:

Apparently the region setup in the new Sim City is so dumb that all you have to do to grief other people is start a city in their region and never touch it ever again.

Cities go inactive after some time and can be claimed by another player.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Havent been paying attention at all to new SimCity. What's the downside to having an empty city in your region?

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler

Regalingualius posted:

To explain it to those who haven't played WoW...

Back in ye old days of 2006, a new set of raid dungeons was opened up called Ahn'qiraj. However, there was a catch: In order to get access to them, your server had to both have the ability to gather up a shitload of various trade goods to various NPCs and have a person/guild that was insane enough to complete a lengthy questline. Highlights included:

-Completing the most difficult raid at the time in under 5 hours (and this was back in the day where raids involved a significant time investment).
-Beating at least four fairly difficult world bosses.
-Blowing ungodly amounts of very rare gems, ores, etc. to summon one of those bosses
-Grinding up tens of thousands of an item that dropped off of bugs in one of the most boring zones in all of WoW's history. (Though, granted, with each turn-in, you could deputize anyone to also grind up bug parts for you.)

Given the above, typically only one person from the best guilds on each faction would ever reach the end.

Eventually, the war effort and the raiders would finish up, and there'd be a waiting period of a few days (presumably to allow anyone else that was still working on it a chance to blitz through the rest of it while they still had the chance). After that, everything would be in place, and whoever had completed the questline could ring the gong that'd open up the gate to Ahn'Qiraj. After that, an event would play out in front of the gates, and a massive war would start up between players and the baddies of the dungeons that'd only last for half a day or so. If they rang the gong again (or, if someone else with the scepter did), they'd get the rarest mount and title in WoW's history, since that was quite literally the ONLY time you could do it; once the war ended, so too did any chance of ever earning them ever again on that server.

Granted, I do not intimately know what the full situation was, but from my understanding, on one of the servers, the guild of one of the designated scepter-holders had been acting like colossal shitheels in the process of doing the questline. I honestly don't remember what exactly went down, but they ended up pissing off the other guilds enough that at least one of them (might've been a temporary alliance between them) decided to slow said shitheel guild's progress down by griefing them while their own scepter-holder was rushed through the quests. Long story short, by the time the first guild had finished, so too had the other guild. Then it turned out the scepter-holder in the first guild was going to be working the day the gate would be unlockable, and, well, I'm sure you can fill in the blanks.

Sorry if this is on the spergy side.

You've got the gist of it. It wasn't premeditated by our guild to try and gently caress the other scepter-holder over, despite guild tensions. Even we got about ten minutes notice when Piccalo decided to ring it. Nobody tried to talk him out of it, though.

I assume the Corrupted Blood Zul'Gurub plague has already been talked about to death in this thread? I definitely had some fun with that for the short time before they patched it.

Chocobo fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Mar 7, 2013

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

SynthOrange posted:

Havent been paying attention at all to new SimCity. What's the downside to having an empty city in your region?

Aside from taking up a plot of land in the 16 slot region, it'd also deny those resources to neighboring cities and if you zoned it for specific stuff you could screw up transportation and job/industry markets by having a bunch of one thing pulling people from other cities and such.

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

One of my favorite simple WoW griefs from my time of playing was back in Wrath of the Lich King. I never got a chance to play with it myself (Not having a mage), but it was always funny to watch.

Blizzard added a pvp zone in the new continent in Wrath where every 3 hours the game factions would fight over a plot of land, either attacking or defending a large keep. Back in the earlier days there was no automatic grouping for people in pvp areas, you had to form up your own groups of players for coordination. So the most popular way of getting into this new pvp area was hang around the city of Dalaran.

NPCs would yell out about the upcoming battle as it was getting close to time, and when the clock hit 0 an NPC mage would create a portal in your factions area of the city to take you to the fight. So people that wanted to participate would usually start gathering around the portal area forming up groups and getting ready.

Mages in WoW can also create portals that when clicked whisk you away to whatever city portal was cast. Did I mention these mage portals looked identical to the NPC portal that takes you to the battle? Clever mages soon figured out if they timed it perfectly, and stood in the exact right location, they could cast a portal right as the NPC spawned the battle portal. Pubbies being pubbies, 90% of them wouldn't look at the tooltip as they hovered over the portal and would just click it, getting zapped off to another continent and missing the critical opening minutes of the pvp battle.

It never failed to make me laugh when I saw it, your average god-of-pvp pubbie would rage so hard when they missed the fight.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Howard Beale posted:

My favorite part about the Sleeper was that, after waking him, he'd go on a rampage through the neighboring zones murdering the gently caress out of everything in sight. Horrible, hilarious poo poo like that made the game feel like such an amazing adventure when I was in junior high, even though the game was griefing the players:allears:

Dexanth
Dec 4, 2003

The last thing an ice cream cone ever sees
Back when I played EQ, the Epic Quests were still a fairly recent thing.

Epic Quests were just that - there was one for each of the dozen or so classes at the time. Verant didn't tell anyone how to get them, and data mining didn't really exist back then - so basically the entire population of Everquest was feeling their way around in the dark, since they involved say, finding the first NPC in the middle of a dark forest and he'd be surrounded by deadly monsters and there was no way to know what or who he was for until you Hailed him and hopefully figured out the right prompt on what to say.

And then each quest often involved gathering all sorts of items. For example, I was an Enchanter - various things we had to do included killing a Giant Ape on a tropical island, a Sand Giant in an Oasis, two NPCs deep in the bowels of cities that were hostile to 80% of the players, and a ghost-thing that spawned in the Plane of the God of Fear. The City NPCs were on around 72 hour spawn timers, and I think the Shissir or whatever it was was longer than that - but the reward was awesome, so you wanted to do it. The Enchanter Quest involved collecting 16 or so such items.

Now, as memory serves the cleric version was all around not all that bad - except for one NPC named Zordak Ragefire. His respawn timer was up to 72 hours after his last death. The Cleric Epic Weapon gave a right click resurrection, which was basically amazing as heck since this was back in the pre-WoW days where you could say, Rez in combat, since 'Combat' didn't exist as a status effect yet. So being able to bring back people who dropped mid-fight was huge. And it cost 0 mana.

As soon as Ragefire died, clerics would move in and literally sit there. For days. Without logging out. Thus, the instant he spawned, they'd alert their guild who would log in and race there to be the first to lay claim to him. This was the era of 'He spawns at 4 AM, you call people and wake them up to come do this'. The -drama- Ragefire caused was INCREDIBLE. There were two guilds on my server - Sylvan Rangers and Harbingers of Despair - that hated each other, or at least the news posts on SR's website always suggested it. They would have crazy amounts of drama over this, to the point of GMs being constantly involved; so much so that the guildmaster of SR was I believe on a first-name basis with several of them.

Basically, Everquest back then griefed the hell out of its playerbase. I doubt there s hall ever be its like again.

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY

Dexanth posted:

Basically, Everquest back then griefed the hell out of its playerbase. I doubt there s hall ever be its like again.

There won't because it griefed itself right out of its playerbase when WoW came along. Vanilla WoW was still full of assholish primitive stuff by modern standards, but it was loaves and fishes compared to the fire and brimstone that was EQ.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

My favorite part about the Sleeper was that, after waking him, he'd go on a rampage through the neighboring zones murdering the gently caress out of everything in sight. Horrible, hilarious poo poo like that made the game feel like such an amazing adventure when I was in junior high, even though the game was griefing the players:allears:

I still dabble in F2P EQ, and my bard, who was made in vanilla EQ, was in Skyshrine (where the dragons who fear and hate the Sleeper live) when he was awoken on Brell Serilis. He actually tore into me pretty badly and I barely lived (bards were and still are very fast movers). Sadly, I lost the screenshots. It was truly epic.

Dexanth posted:

Epic Quests were just that - there was one for each of the dozen or so classes at the time. Verant didn't tell anyone how to get them, and data mining didn't really exist back then - so basically the entire population of Everquest was feeling their way around in the dark, since they involved say, finding the first NPC in the middle of a dark forest and he'd be surrounded by deadly monsters and there was no way to know what or who he was for until you Hailed him and hopefully figured out the right prompt on what to say.

And then each quest often involved gathering all sorts of items. For example, I was an Enchanter - various things we had to do included killing a Giant Ape on a tropical island, a Sand Giant in an Oasis, two NPCs deep in the bowels of cities that were hostile to 80% of the players, and a ghost-thing that spawned in the Plane of the God of Fear. The City NPCs were on around 72 hour spawn timers, and I think the Shissir or whatever it was was longer than that - but the reward was awesome, so you wanted to do it. The Enchanter Quest involved collecting 16 or so such items.

I actually just did that quest a few weeks ago for giggles on an enchanter that I made. The enchanter epic is probably my favourite in terms of pure looks, as it is a black-and-red staff of a cobra (it is called the Staff of the Serpent, literally). What is wonderful about it is that the cobra will emote with you, so if you have your character smile via a command, so will your staff. It can also look sad, frown, and laugh, I think. Back in early EQ, it was the second most desired epic apart from the cleric one because it casts a free version of what was then a fantastic combat buff. I did the quest in 2013 and it wasn't exactly easy - I can only imagine what it was like back then.

quote:

Now, as memory serves the cleric version was all around not all that bad - except for one NPC named Zordak Ragefire. His respawn timer was up to 72 hours after his last death. The Cleric Epic Weapon gave a right click resurrection, which was basically amazing as heck since this was back in the pre-WoW days where you could say, Rez in combat, since 'Combat' didn't exist as a status effect yet. So being able to bring back people who dropped mid-fight was huge. And it cost 0 mana.

As soon as Ragefire died, clerics would move in and literally sit there. For days. Without logging out. Thus, the instant he spawned, they'd alert their guild who would log in and race there to be the first to lay claim to him. This was the era of 'He spawns at 4 AM, you call people and wake them up to come do this'. The -drama- Ragefire caused was INCREDIBLE. There were two guilds on my server - Sylvan Rangers and Harbingers of Despair - that hated each other, or at least the news posts on SR's website always suggested it. They would have crazy amounts of drama over this, to the point of GMs being constantly involved; so much so that the guildmaster of SR was I believe on a first-name basis with several of them.

I cannot remember the details of this story, but there was some big to-do that went down on Rodcet Nife server (I was on Brell Serilis then, personally, but I had RL friends on that server) where some Vietnamese-only guild did something so heinous regarding Ragefire that they all got perma-banned; several dozen of them. I really wish that I could remember more. Nowadays, that epic is still pretty handy and is still the best ressurection spell in the game, but Ragefire is triggered, so that quest is basically trivial, except for farming ultra-rare drops in a low-level zone for hours on end. The irony is that nobody plays clerics anymore.

EQ was a game that genuinely hated its player base. What is worse is that a lot of people genuinely enjoyed that sort of thing and want it back.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Dexanth posted:

That's basically every Hyper Notorious Monster in FFXI back in the days of yore. Someone can correct me on the finer details since it's been a long time, but each one had a respawn window of 24 hours that had to elapse, and then the window for it to actually respawn would open for, if I remember correctly, 1 minute every 15 or 30 minutes for something like 3 hours. So Times of Death were closely guarded secrets between linkshells, and god help you if they got on Japanese time because then you were dealing with a whole other country of competition. Anyways, for upwards of 3 whole hours you had people standing around these spawn windows to open to try and be the first one to claim it for your alliance.

Beyond that, there were the Land Kings. Aspidochelone, Nidhogg, and King Behemoth. These three were stronger lottery spawns on three other HNMs, Adamantoise, Fafnir, and Behemoth respectively. These three could only spawn at least 72 hours after the last time they were killed, guaranteed to spawn on the fifth day if it hadn't already. So if you didn't get claim on it, you had to wait AT LEAST three whole days for another shot. Of course this meant rampant botting, GM calls every day, dirty tricks to steal claim, all manner of things.

Nowadays, they're all item-forced spawns and they aren't really all that useful anymore except for a couple things they drop. And the Kings are item-popped too, by an item dropped by their lesser version. In a way, I'm sad to see the old way go. There wasn't much that matched the rush of getting that claim over everyone else. Sitting around sucked though.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
That sounds like the least fun thing ever. Thread accomplished. Game griefed you.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Enos Shenk posted:

One of my favorite simple WoW griefs from my time of playing was back in Wrath of the Lich King. I never got a chance to play with it myself (Not having a mage), but it was always funny to watch.

Blizzard added a pvp zone in the new continent in Wrath where every 3 hours the game factions would fight over a plot of land, either attacking or defending a large keep. Back in the earlier days there was no automatic grouping for people in pvp areas, you had to form up your own groups of players for coordination. So the most popular way of getting into this new pvp area was hang around the city of Dalaran.

NPCs would yell out about the upcoming battle as it was getting close to time, and when the clock hit 0 an NPC mage would create a portal in your factions area of the city to take you to the fight. So people that wanted to participate would usually start gathering around the portal area forming up groups and getting ready.

Mages in WoW can also create portals that when clicked whisk you away to whatever city portal was cast. Did I mention these mage portals looked identical to the NPC portal that takes you to the battle? Clever mages soon figured out if they timed it perfectly, and stood in the exact right location, they could cast a portal right as the NPC spawned the battle portal. Pubbies being pubbies, 90% of them wouldn't look at the tooltip as they hovered over the portal and would just click it, getting zapped off to another continent and missing the critical opening minutes of the pvp battle.

It never failed to make me laugh when I saw it, your average god-of-pvp pubbie would rage so hard when they missed the fight.

If you're bringing up Wintergrasp then you may as well mention Goon Squad cheesing it with Engineering crafted bombs to break down a door you normally need to drive siege engines up to and turning a 15-30min battle into a minute, add in that a loading screen if you're coming from the city will add in up to 20-30s and pretty griefy from the loser's perspective:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wm03136FTI4

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
FFXI was notoriously hateful and sadistic toward its players, as in the boss Pandemonium Warden, whose first attempt went 18 hours and was unsuccessful.[/url]

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

I've always heard that FFXI was belligerently underdocumented, and people developed an entire primitive mythos about what things affected crafting chances. Eventually somebody demonstrated that facing north definitely made a difference and then everybody just went totally cargo cult on it.

Age of Wushu update: we've whipped the goon enemies into such a frenzy that despite having codes about not killing people not on their own carefully managed KOS list, they celebrate/mourn battles by going to the main market hub and bathing in the blood of innocents. Also one of them wants to skin goons and turn them into furniture.

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk

Tulip posted:

I've always heard that FFXI was belligerently underdocumented, and people developed an entire primitive mythos about what things affected crafting chances. Eventually somebody demonstrated that facing north definitely made a difference and then everybody just went totally cargo cult on it.

I totally wish you were joking, but you aren't. :( I used to play back in the day and all crafters who were serious about it had this chart to look at:

To try to explain some of it on there... there is a direction you're supposed to face in based on the element of the crafting crystal you were using for either just getting a straight success, or getting a skillup or a HQ success. Crafting on different in-game days of the week was supposed to affect it, along with what in-game moon phase it was as well. AND on top of that, there was some voodoo about using a specific crystal (dark or light) if you wanted to get a specific outcome. It was archaic and I wouldn't be surprised if it was all total bullshit too.

I'll bet you the people doing this had a special technique for how fast they crafted, how they sat in their chair, what day of the week in real life they crafted on ...

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Phobophilia posted:

That sounds like the least fun thing ever. Thread accomplished. Game griefed you.

I like hearing these stories about the game devs themselves griefing their players, like in EQ, such a masochistic gaming experience that must of been.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

LegionAreI posted:

I totally wish you were joking, but you aren't. :( I used to play back in the day and all crafters who were serious about it had this chart to look at:

To try to explain some of it on there... there is a direction you're supposed to face in based on the element of the crafting crystal you were using for either just getting a straight success, or getting a skillup or a HQ success. Crafting on different in-game days of the week was supposed to affect it, along with what in-game moon phase it was as well. AND on top of that, there was some voodoo about using a specific crystal (dark or light) if you wanted to get a specific outcome. It was archaic and I wouldn't be surprised if it was all total bullshit too.

I'll bet you the people doing this had a special technique for how fast they crafted, how they sat in their chair, what day of the week in real life they crafted on ...
Now I kind of want to make a game that pulls bullshit like this.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

LegionAreI posted:

Goddamn. It's gone past the game is griefing you to game makes you grief yourself...

Seriously refusing to release mechanics documentation is probably one of the worst things a developer can do to an RPG gamerbase.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

TheSpiritFox posted:

Goddamn. It's gone past the game is griefing you to game makes you grief yourself...

Seriously refusing to release mechanics documentation is probably one of the worst things a developer can do to an RPG gamerbase.

Random chance makes people go insane.

In Aion your weapons and armor have several slots for socketing stat enahncing 'mana stones'. Depending on the quality and level of the stone and the quality and level of the item you wish to socket the success rate varies. And if you fail even once all previously socketed stones are destroyed and you have to start from the beginning.

There are several theories out there how to enhance the success rate:
1) Go into a solo instance with minimal ping and socket there. The higher the ping the worse the socketing rate.
2) Watch the progress bar when socketing a stone. If it doesn't move smoothly abort the socketing process.
3) Wait several hours between socketing the stones.
4) After socketing one stone in the target piece of equipment, socket cheap stones into another piece of equipment until you fail to socket a stone. Afterwards you can try socketing the real gear you want to enhance again.

It's simple random chance and it makes people go nuts.

Since there is random chance involved with many other aspects of the game, there are tons of other superstitions perpetuated by the player base:
- Your divine power has to be maximized while crafting.
- Every player has a hidden luck stat and that's why only proven 'lucky' players may open group instances.
- Another variant of that is having each player in a group roll before entering an instance. The one with the highest roll gets to open the instance, because he has proven to be the luckiest in the group.

...and so on.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

It's simple random chance and it makes people go nuts.

The FFXI one is kind of believable because it's in the same vein as Legend of Mana's wacky sperglord poo poo, but these are all things you can tell are total bullshit on a glimpse :psyduck: They'd have to have the worst network coders imaginable to end up with packet-loss or latency affecting craft chances.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

SpazmasterX posted:

That's basically every Hyper Notorious Monster in FFXI back in the days of yore. Someone can correct me on the finer details since it's been a long time, but each one had a respawn window of 24 hours that had to elapse, and then the window for it to actually respawn would open for, if I remember correctly, 1 minute every 15 or 30 minutes for something like 3 hours. So Times of Death were closely guarded secrets between linkshells, and god help you if they got on Japanese time because then you were dealing with a whole other country of competition. Anyways, for upwards of 3 whole hours you had people standing around these spawn windows to open to try and be the first one to claim it for your alliance.

Beyond that, there were the Land Kings. Aspidochelone, Nidhogg, and King Behemoth. These three were stronger lottery spawns on three other HNMs, Adamantoise, Fafnir, and Behemoth respectively. These three could only spawn at least 72 hours after the last time they were killed, guaranteed to spawn on the fifth day if it hadn't already. So if you didn't get claim on it, you had to wait AT LEAST three whole days for another shot. Of course this meant rampant botting, GM calls every day, dirty tricks to steal claim, all manner of things.

Nowadays, they're all item-forced spawns and they aren't really all that useful anymore except for a couple things they drop. And the Kings are item-popped too, by an item dropped by their lesser version. In a way, I'm sad to see the old way go. There wasn't much that matched the rush of getting that claim over everyone else. Sitting around sucked though.

The High notorious monsters (HNM) you're talking about are the ground kings, and wyrms. currently, the ground kings, Aspidochelone and adamantoise, King behemoth and behemoth, Nidhogg and fafnir, are all pop monsters, where you track down a rare item from a different event and trade it to a mark to spawn the monster to fight. no random windows. The Wyrms, Tiamat, jormungand, and one other, are 3 to 5 day pure lottery spawns, still are, and aside from tiamat, are largely left up unkilled.

Now, for FFXI, the REAL trolling in it's playerbase aren't those, the real dick spawns are Taisaijin, Shikigami Weapon, Shadow Rider and other NMs like rose garden. Taisaijin was a 21-24 hour spawn similar to the old ground kings, except that he depended on three normal taisai monsters to sit up, unmolested, for that time. any one of them could be the spawn trigger. If that one guy was killed, the timer reset to 3 to 5 days, pure lottery. The origin of taisaijin is from a story of a japanese player trolling other people, back when the game first came out, the spell "refresh" was rare and powerful, he said it came from taisais so that people would camp them, instead of going after the real source. The drops for taisaijin? a hat with -7 to all stats and a refresh scroll.

Shadow Rider is a NM that came out with Treasures of Aht Urghan, a storyline that revolved around alexander and odin. The shadow rider is Odin, Except that he can spawn in almost any new area of that expansion, he runs around spawning demon imps and acting generally like a dick. He's also unkillable, purposefully so, and instant-casts death on anyone who attempts to fight him.

There's alot more spawns, some with their own dickish tricks. I'll post a few more later.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
Does that infamous MMO Mourning count as greifing?
Sadly much of the info seems gone, so if anyone has an idea of what the hell happened, do chip in.

The general gist is a much vaunted MMO turned out to be a shady long-con where paying people ended up receiving an early beta, burnt onto a CD-RW and placed in an empty white box. The server was so unstable that it barely supported six players in character creation.

Of course like any shady company there has to be bizzre legal threats made against people who dare mention there's something wrong!
Post launch the forums revolt as angry people are unable to get refund as purchases are deemed final. The forums curiously ban the words "fraud" and "scam".

Some idea of what went down.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy
Didn't Final Fantasy XI have a boss fight that was supposed to be impossible and they had to keep patching it because people kept figuring out how to kill it?

Dexanth
Dec 4, 2003

The last thing an ice cream cone ever sees

JustJeff88 posted:

I actually just did that quest a few weeks ago for giggles on an enchanter that I made. The enchanter epic is probably my favourite in terms of pure looks, as it is a black-and-red staff of a cobra (it is called the Staff of the Serpent, literally). What is wonderful about it is that the cobra will emote with you, so if you have your character smile via a command, so will your staff. It can also look sad, frown, and laugh, I think. Back in early EQ, it was the second most desired epic apart from the cleric one because it casts a free version of what was then a fantastic combat buff. I did the quest in 2013 and it wasn't exactly easy - I can only imagine what it was like back then.

Yea, it's been some years since I looked at any of them, but as memory serves the Rogue one was far and away the easiest to complete, while Monk, Cleric, and Enchanter are involved finding one or more spawns on hilariously long spawn times. Still, finishing that staff back in '02 or whenever it was was totally awesome.

The thing about EQ was that it was never so much deliberately set out to grief its playerbase as it was an evolution from the MU** stuff of the 90s, which themselves were ultimately derived from D&D and similar P&P stuff.

The MU*s, of course, were full of things like permadeath, no maps, totally freeform pvp, and so on. Everquest was -easier- than what it based itself off in many ways. This led to hilarious legacy stuff making it in like Trolls needing 20% more xp to level and halflings having a 5% bonus.

Though the real kick in the teeth was Paladins & Shadowknights needed something like 40-50% more xp to level for...I have no idea why. This penalized -everyone- grouping with you, mind you, so nobody wanted to group with them anymore, and in EQ trying to level solo for most classes was like trying to ride a tricycle to work while everyone else was cruising around in cars.

The game had a lot of silly flaws like that, but ever since WoW came about it's slowly killed off a lot of the things I really did love about Everquest - in WoW for example there aren't hugely meaningful differences between classes anymore, at least nowhere on the scale there were in either vanilla WoW, let alone in EQ - things like there being no real dedicated Crowd Control class anymore, for example.

Still, I don't really miss things like 'Oops, you died halfway across the world from where your bind point is, you now have a 90 minute journey to get back to your body while you are naked, hope you don't run into any angry giants or undead who will bite your face off.' It adds a sense of majesty to the world the -first- time you have to do that. Then it gets old.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
Monk one was pretty simple outside of the lovely raster camp. It was slightly irritating there at best though, because it was just a super-low chance of spawn in place of one frog in guk so you could conceiveably get two back to back, if very, very highly unlikely. The biggest trouble with it was you had to be present to kill the placeholder off or he wouldn't spawn.

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot

Tulip posted:

Age of Wushu update: we've whipped the goon enemies into such a frenzy that despite having codes about not killing people not on their own carefully managed KOS list, they celebrate/mourn battles by going to the main market hub and bathing in the blood of innocents. Also one of them wants to skin goons and turn them into furniture.

There's people who are utterly obsessed with our genocide. The related post:

Cant Ride A Bus posted:

I present to you all: Magnum-Opus guild chat.

The best part is that these guilds are also full of reasonable, chill people who admit our presence is a wildcard that's welcome for the sake of variety, and even some cool dudes who join our minigame tournaments or duel tournaments. The guild drama is beautiful, basically.

In a lot of ways Wushu takes cues (both good and bad) from the old MMOs so if you're into that sort of stuff it might be worth a look.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo

JustJeff88 posted:

The snake was the best epic animation. I had it before character animations were in, but back then it already was animating it was taking damage when you took damage. The rogue one was awesome statwise but it's effect was just a dot of green flashing in and out.

The epic with the best concept was, of course, the mage one. No one gave you the staff, you loving summoned it into existence. Then you would give your epic staff to a skeleton/mage pet while you summoned another one. One good joke was complaining everyone on the server, included Gonerb the skeleton, had their epic except for you.

ellbent
May 2, 2007

I NEVER HAD SOUL

Taciturn Tactician posted:

Didn't Final Fantasy XI have a boss fight that was supposed to be impossible and they had to keep patching it because people kept figuring out how to kill it?

They also had this delightful number.

quote:

... Upon its introduction into Final Fantasy XI, more than 36 players marathon fighting Pandemonium Warden for 18 hours were unable to defeat it. They were forced to retire after members of the party started to become physically ill; after such a prolonged period of gaming, they began to faint and vomit, creating news reports to be filed in argument of the game's User Message present at every login, which states that Square Enix "...does not wish to see [their players'] lives..." suffer as a result of extensive play. Following the 18 hour attempt, the monster (along with Absolute Virtue) was patched to only have a spawn time of two hours, and its overall difficulty was significantly decreased ...

The first kill involved the players fighting it logging out of the game en masse to avoid a particular ability it used.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Taciturn Tactician posted:

What is the point of impossible bosses? I can understand if there is a bug with the mechanics or the fight is not balanced properly, but why intentionally make it unkillable? even as a griefing method, it just seems dumb.

There are way better ways to grief your playerbase: obscure/crazy spawn requirements (must do x on y day of the week within z minutes while not using a specific class), "oops, forgot to add a loot table" *wink wink*, or the gear required to kill the boss is much better than the gear the boss drops.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Howard Beale posted:

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

Wait, so if I have this straight, there was basically this huge fuckoff endgame boss that served no constructive purpose whatsoever and existed only so you could be a dick by unleashing it to gently caress over other people? This sounds like a wonderful, terrible idea :allears:

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk

Machai posted:

What is the point of impossible bosses? I can understand if there is a bug with the mechanics or the fight is not balanced properly, but why intentionally make it unkillable? even as a griefing method, it just seems dumb.

I played FFXI for like... 7 years and I never came up with a satisfactory answer for all of the horrible poo poo the game did to it's players. I think my guild settled on the explanation that the Master of Sadism ran the game and just hated MMO gamers for some reason.

To make the unkillable bosses saga even more funny, Absolute Virtue, a boss who was only killable by glitching for a long while and the spawn requirements for it were ridiculously convoluted, required a glitch to kill for the longest time, but after the glitch everyone used to kill it was patched, the player based bitched so much that the devs released a video with hints on how to kill it. However, the video was so inscrutable and mysterious that it took forever to pull anything useful out of it and well ... let me show you the video first, then explain what the takeaway was.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qofPWHFcWSI

Now this boss had a lot of bullshit abilities, like a massive regen and the ability to use all classes "super" abilities, ones that you can only use every two hours. These abilities included a full heal, a ton more damage from spells, and some unpleasant damage abilities. Apparently (as the comments show) killing a certain amount of the adds while wearing certain gear supposedly gets rid of it's regen, then ... doing something or other with your weapon skills while wearing certain gear is supposed to "lock" it's super abilities so you don't get slaughtered. Then there was the fact that the boss also reset it's timer on the super abilities whenever it felt like it so you couldn't just ride out the abilities and know it couldn't use it for another two hours.

How you would get that from that video, I have no idea. I still believe that video is the devs trolling all the players.

Now when I was playing, sometimes these strategies would work, then another group would try the same thing and it wouldn't work correctly, or the moon would be in the seventh house while a cock crows at dawn and the boss would reset and slaughter everyone.

My guild, who only did this stuff for a short time, came to the :tinfoil: conclusion that every time the boss was summoned it was an actual GM playing it, which considering how hosed up the fight was, probably wasn't that far of a stretch.

To add to the hilarity of stupid bosses - someone mentioned Shikigami Weapon, a boss I had a great deal of history with as I played a Summoner. Shiki dropped an awesome robe for Summoners, but the catch was ... the mob was invisible until you aggroed it. Plus it was located in a high-level zone filled with mobs that aggroed to magic. Plus it was on a lovely timer. (I can't remember what it was, like anything from 24 hours to a few days) So when you finally got all your friends in the zone to try hunting this thing down, you had to be super-careful casting magic or you could aggro a ton of extra bullshit that made an already somewhat painful mob way harder. you could also have one of your friends be stupid and not bring any sneaking items - you could cast sneaking spells on them but, well, see above.

God I have so many terrible stories about FFXI, but it was one of my favorite MMO's. :( I think the experience of shared masochism that brought everyone together into a real community was a lot different than modern MMO's. Completing the Chains of Promathia storyline when it was very relevant is still one of my best sperglord memories.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Enallyniv posted:

The best part is that these guilds are also full of reasonable, chill people who admit our presence is a wildcard that's welcome for the sake of variety, and even some cool dudes who join our minigame tournaments or duel tournaments. The guild drama is beautiful, basically.

In a lot of ways Wushu takes cues (both good and bad) from the old MMOs so if you're into that sort of stuff it might be worth a look.

I think the best part about this is that the one guy who's like "Um, hey guys, maybe it's not cool to make furniture out of people's skins, yeah?" got kicked from that guild on accusations of being a goon spy.

We're so good at griefing this guild, that they're griefing themselves over us now.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

LegionAreI posted:

I played FFXI for like... 7 years and I never came up with a satisfactory answer for all of the horrible poo poo the game did to it's players. I think my guild settled on the explanation that the Master of Sadism ran the game and just hated MMO gamers for some reason.

Tanaka is gone. He's also the reason ffxiv bombed initially. And ALOT of the horror stories of ffxi are gone, irrelevant, or changed.

COP has no level caps, in the zones or the storyline fights.

Absolute virtue and pandemonium warden both have a cap of 2 hours on their fights, and can be done with a very skilled group of 6.

Debatably a new character can do 1 to 99 in 24 hours.

Currently, almost all of the griefing and drama related things are gone. No more kiting monsters through zones to choke up zone lines. No curebombing the tanks to singlehandedly ruin monster fights, and no teleporting to xarcabard or yhoat a;nd dumping someone 15+ minutes from civilization.

Alot of the old horror story NMs like shikigami and taisaijin can be linked back to one specific patch that added a good 6 or so nm. Shikigami and taisaijin though are specifically SE's response to myths/player trolling in the game.

There's also rose garden/voluptuous vilma in yuhtunga jungle. Spawned similar to taisaijin 21-24 hours a rose garden monster had to stay up undisturbed, and rose garden would replace it. And from there, 21 to 24 for rose garden to turn into vv. Rose garden had a low % chance to drop a wanted ring, and vv had a higher chance... aside from .dat searching, nobody knew about vv for years... until a player snuck around the test server and saw her up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk

frodnonnag posted:

Tanaka is gone. He's also the reason ffxiv bombed initially. And ALOT of the horror stories of ffxi are gone, irrelevant, or changed.

COP has no level caps, in the zones or the storyline fights.

Absolute virtue and pandemonium warden both have a cap of 2 hours on their fights, and can be done with a very skilled group of 6.

Debatably a new character can do 1 to 99 in 24 hours.

Currently, almost all of the griefing and drama related things are gone. No more kiting monsters through zones to choke up zone lines. No curebombing the tanks to singlehandedly ruin monster fights, and no teleporting to xarcabard or yhoat a;nd dumping someone 15+ minutes from civilization.

Alot of the old horror story NMs like shikigami and taisaijin can be linked back to one specific patch that added a good 6 or so nm. Shikigami and taisaijin though are specifically SE's response to myths/player trolling in the game.

You know, as much pain as I went through back in the day with all the horror stories, hearing how it is now is almost sad. :( What people are playing now is definitely not the same game I loved and hated.

To add another "Old FFXI Hates You" story - the second expansion for the game, Chains of Promathia, introduced a rather extensive storyline that actually was pretty goddamn good for the time. However, FFXI could not just give you a fun and interesting storyline to play through with your friends. No, it had to be special.

You see, apparently there were some complaints that the first expansion storyline required you to be max level to work through it or some nonsense the devs made up to justify the horrific decisions they made next. CoP introduced the idea of level caps for missions.

Now you might be thinking - "Hey no problem, they just scale you down in power so you can play with your newbie friends through the missions, right? Sounds awesome!" No. Not awesome at all. You see, when you did these missions the game actually flipped a switch that made you say, level 30, which was the first cap. That means any spells/abilities you got over level 30 no longer worked. That means all of your max level equipment was useless and you had to get a whole new set of equipment at level 30. And level 40 which was the next cap. Then 50, then 60. I think I had a full set of twinked equipment for four jobs across all the level caps when I was in my insane period and helping everyone in the guild complete the storyline.

There were also some interesting design decisions in the missions themselves that resulted in some .... unconventional tactics for beating them, because they were super balls-hard when the expansion first came out, and a lot of them had crazy mechanics or bullshit abilities nobody knew how to deal with. The first expansion really was pretty simple by the first time English audiences got to see it, but CoP was a whole different world of poo poo.

My memory is a little fuzzy on a lot of the specific mechanics (and apparently they're trivial now) but some examples are:

1. A fight with three bosses that could switch jobs between caster and melee, in which the easiest method of beating it was to exploit the aggro mechanics. Pretty much what you did was one person would "face pull" the three mobs - run up to them into their aggro radius. Then that person would just ... stand there, or kite, I don't remember. The aggro mechanics were such that if you face pulled and did nothing yourself, the mobs would stick to you like glue unless someone specifically used an ability to pull one off you. Using this glitch made control of the fight much *much* easier so the tank didn't have to deal with keeping aggro on three mobs at once. You just assign a healer to the mob wrangler (guess what my job was) and have at.

2. A fight with a Final Fantasy bomb-type boss. If you don't know what these do, they pretty much expand three times, then self-destruct. This specific boss would automatically wipe the group if it self-destructed. The timer was stupid short too. So the best way of beating this fight was to abuse the Red Mage super ability, which was Chainspell. This allowed you to cast spells with no cooldown and no cast time. So your guild would get all your level 50+ Red Mages, stack them into groups, and carry the rest of the poor plebes that didn't level Red Mage through. No Red Mages in your guild? Get hosed, or hope your group is exceptionally lucky. a friend of mine made a ton of money selling Red Mage service for that fight.

3. The Final Fantasy classic multi-stage battle that included a rehash of the three mob fight in #1 but with 6 of them I think, then two more bosses in a row after that with some pretty unpleasant abilities and little time to heal up because there was a timer ticking down. Said timer counted for all three stages of the battle - I lost count of how many times my group hosed up, managed to come back and nearly get the last boss down, only to get screwed by the timer.

There's more, like the second to last fight for the expansion being (personally) one of the balls-hardiest, bullshit, unfair, lovely painful things I've ever done in an MMO, but I think this is enough for now!
I'm sure someone will come back and say all the stuff I just listed was easy, but in general, for regular-joe players of the game, this poo poo was ridiculously hard. Super-pros and people with huge guilds probably had a much easier time but if you were a "casual" god help you.

• Locked thread