Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Jonny 290 posted:

anyways their poo poo's super locked down and stuff like inlined/slipstreamed/whatever modules and libs will deffo fail code review. i wish i could just do that stuff and be done with it

just curious, but what's the reason in this particular case? size? oss fear?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uG
Apr 23, 2003

by Ralp

Jonny 290 posted:

oh god the regex based parser i was working on yesterday
aaaaa
anyways their poo poo's super locked down and stuff like inlined/slipstreamed/whatever modules and libs will deffo fail code review. i wish i could just do that stuff and be done with it
Well all you really need to include is CloudPAN :shepface:

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

tef posted:

this is going to sound hilariously bad, but what about you write some perl scripts to write perl scripts :2bong:

what I mean is that you can basically compile xpaths into perl code using xml::parser. autogenerated stuff will probably pass code review, cos it will look pretty much like what you have already

:master:

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
this is the sort of poo poo you get up to when you're limited by your language and platform, you autogenerate code

c.f macros, autocomplete

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
ask me about the time I wrote a simple arithmetic evaluator and parser in xslt to work around javascript ofuscation of pricing data on webpages

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

tef posted:

xslt is pretty neat but that's really cos of xpath. xpath is neat as hell.

xpath is also the only good reason for xhtml

I feel that xslt, regex, lex/yacc etc are all horrible mutant afterbirth of an elegant, easy-to-use tree transformer that I have no idea what it is

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Cocoa Crispies posted:

perl wasn't particularly ubiquitous in 1995 and never had a good library for handling cgi environment variables and http headers either
Sure it did, the library consisted in hacking that one cgi-mail script everyone used to do something else. Perl dominated early cgi

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

ultramiraculous posted:

just curious, but what's the reason in this particular case? size? oss fear?

insecurity. they get offended whenever we suggest they make any changes or add any tools to their network

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Gazpacho posted:

Sure it did, the library consisted in hacking that one cgi-mail script everyone used to do something else. Perl dominated early cgi

:thejoke:

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Nomnom Cookie posted:

xpath is also the only good reason for xhtml

I feel that xslt, regex, lex/yacc etc are all horrible mutant afterbirth of an elegant, easy-to-use tree transformer that I have no idea what it is

prolog :3:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
im no longer really terrified by regex, just kind of roll my eyes and say OH BOY ITS REGEX TIME

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
Well since I messed that up heres a story: my first web app was a user driven game rating site. When someone voted the cgi handler would format a mail and send it to me. Because of quotas and permissions I had to log in every day and run another perl script on my mail file to count votes and regenerate the pages, batch mvc ftw

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Jonny 290 posted:

im no longer really terrified by regex, just kind of roll my eyes and say OH BOY ITS REGEX TIME

the best complement you can give to regex

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
i edited machine code with regexes once

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
I've used perl & regexes to mix mpeg 2 transport streams

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005
My lack of understanding is only exceeded by my lack of concern.

JawnV6 posted:

i edited machine code with regexes once

i wrote an assembler in clojure

it was an awesome abuse of eval and macros, i feel like pg

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Gazpacho posted:

I've used perl & regexes to mix mpeg 2 transport streams

hahaha yessssss

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i think bioinformatics is definitely the random perl niche i would select to specialize in, if i was crazy enough to try to actually make a career out of perl

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
bioinf is slowly excruciatingly painfully transitioning to python

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Jonny 290 posted:

i think bioinformatics is definitely the random perl niche i would select to specialize in, if i was crazy enough to try to actually make a career out of perl

http://madhadron.com/a-farewell-to-bioinformatics

I’m leaving bioinformatics to go work at a software company with more technically ept people and for a lot more money. This seems like an opportune time to set forth my accumulated wisdom and thoughts on bioinformatics.

My attitude towards the subject after all my work in it can probably be best summarized thus: “gently caress you, bioinformatics. Eat poo poo and die.”

The funding of molecular biology and bioinformatics is safe, protected by a wall of inbreeding, pointless jargon, and lies. So you all can rot in your computational poo poo heap. I’m gone.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
there's also a small movement to use lambda for everything

how you feel about that depends on your position on functional programming and the purity of said paradigm

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

tef posted:

http://madhadron.com/a-farewell-to-bioinformatics

I’m leaving bioinformatics to go work at a software company with more technically ept people and for a lot more money. This seems like an opportune time to set forth my accumulated wisdom and thoughts on bioinformatics.

My attitude towards the subject after all my work in it can probably be best summarized thus: “gently caress you, bioinformatics. Eat poo poo and die.”

The funding of molecular biology and bioinformatics is safe, protected by a wall of inbreeding, pointless jargon, and lies. So you all can rot in your computational poo poo heap. I’m gone.

http://nsaunders.wordpress.com/2012/10/22/gene-name-errors-and-excel-lessons-not-learned/

quote:

June 23, 2004. BMC Bioinformatics publishes “Mistaken Identifiers: Gene name errors can be introduced inadvertently when using Excel in bioinformatics”. We roll our eyes. Do people really do that? Is it really worthy of publication? However, we admit that if it happens then it’s good that people know about it.

October 17, 2012. A colleague on our internal Yammer network writes:

quote:

Sad but true. I keep finding newbie bioinformatics errors in the Cancer Genome Atlas project data. This time a text download of 450K methylation from the Cancer Genome Atlas project reveals that Excel has had its evil way with the data at some point. Gene names such as MAR1, DEC1, OCT4 and SEPT9 are now reformatted as dates.

weird
Jun 4, 2012

by zen death robot

trex eaterofcadrs posted:

i wrote an assembler in clojure

it was an awesome abuse of eval and macros, i feel like pg

The other day I was thinking that it might be cool to teach people Scheme, and then to have them write a simple 6502 or whatever assembler in it as a project, and use that as a jumping off point into machine language.

Then I figured that was dumb. Scheme and 6502's are both really fun though

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
i traded an old fpga for an arduino and some accessories for it

hella mad at how easy it was to get up & go. installing drivers for the drat thing took longer than coding ultrasonic rangefinding

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

VanillaKid posted:

The other day I was thinking that it might be cool to teach people Scheme, and then to have them write a simple 6502 or whatever assembler in it as a project, and use that as a jumping off point into machine language.

Make them write the evaluator and then the compiler that goes with it :getin:

Deus Rex
Mar 5, 2005

Tiny Bug Child posted:

"type safety" is dumb because "types" are a fake idea

http://danuxx.blogspot.co.uk/2013/03/unauthorized-access-bypassing-php-strcmp.html

quote:

This is because on error strcmp() returns NULL, which when using the type-unsafe equality comparison operator == evaluates to 0, as will any string and any number value >0<1.

To avoid this hideous security hole developers should use the type-safe equality comparison operator with stcmp, e.g.:

strcmp($str1, $str2) === 0

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

thats only an issue 1% of the time :rolleye:

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

rasmus lerdorf is actually a spammer and he developed php to increase the supply of hacked servers. every single thing about php is "if you do it this very specific way it's secure" and doing anything the way that makes sense is a security flaw. some "features" like register_globals were too obvious so the php team had to deprecate them but they refused to remove them...for backwards compatibility! when a php committer says "backwards compatibility" they mean "my seo network of hacked wordpress installations"

we're through the looking glass, people :tinfoil:

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

VanillaKid posted:

i've considered what a scheme & c dual course would look like, writing a simple scheme interpreter in C and learning the elements of scheme to implement as you go. i guess you could then write a compiler for C in scheme that compiled to assembly.

Null Pointer
May 20, 2004

Oh no!

tef posted:

i've considered what a scheme & c dual course would look like, writing a simple scheme interpreter in C and learning the elements of scheme to implement as you go. i guess you could then write a compiler for C in scheme that compiled to assembly.

it's sort of cruel to make people write a compiler in scheme or ml after writing one in c. unless your goal is to make people avoid c forever.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

i wouldnt wanna write a c compiler

maybe a c subset compiler or something

Null Pointer
May 20, 2004

Oh no!
i've toyed with designing a compiler course around some small c-with-modules thing, multiple pass but an actual cfg. the final would be to make it self-hosting.

i think a lot of compiler courses spend too much time on formal languages and parsing and not nearly enough on building something that isn't just a 2 MB compiler.y file.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Null Pointer posted:

it's sort of cruel to make people write a compiler in scheme or ml after writing one in c. unless your goal is to make people avoid c forever.

a noble goal

crazypenguin
Mar 9, 2005
nothing witty here, move along

Null Pointer posted:

2 MB compiler.y file.

does this mean they aren't even getting as far as having an abstract syntax?

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Carthag posted:

thats only an issue 1% of the time :rolleye:
remember when intel had that floating point bug and they were like "chill out, it's almost never a problem" and a scandal ensued?

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror

Nomnom Cookie posted:

some "features" like register_globals were too obvious so the php team had to deprecate them but they refused to remove them...for backwards compatibility!

no. they took r_g out. so now nobody is ever going to upgrade to 5.4 because of that completely retarded decision

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

Tiny Bug Child posted:

no. they took r_g out. so now nobody is ever going to upgrade to 5.4 because of that completely retarded decision

I love you tbc, never stop posting, gently caress the haters

Null Pointer
May 20, 2004

Oh no!

crazypenguin posted:

does this mean they aren't even getting as far as having an abstract syntax?

of course not. most courses are still based on some pl/0 dialect specifically because it can be compiled in a single pass which a lot of people think is easier for learners. ofc they tweak it just enough to fight plagiarism, with a few bonus sr and rr conflicts thrown in to give the A students something to do.

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

tef posted:

the follow-up is good too

http://madhadron.com/public-comments-considered-harmful

There’s a name for this in circles that study human behavior: group monkey dance. You should follow that link and read Rory’s article on it, and probably Rory’s books, too, but here’s a quick summary: human violence follows patterns. Most fist fights occur in the same way. Married couples will have the same arguments year after year. And social groups will turn on an outsider or perceived betrayer with a brutality that most of the group members would never display individually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crazypenguin
Mar 9, 2005
nothing witty here, move along

Null Pointer posted:

of course not. most courses are still based on some pl/0 dialect specifically because it can be compiled in a single pass which a lot of people think is easier for learners. ofc they tweak it just enough to fight plagiarism, with a few bonus sr and rr conflicts thrown in to give the A students something to do.

this sounds awful.

I did compilers with appel's tiger book. I guess I didn't realize how good that is.