Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
Here is a loving unrecognizable Keith Moon.

It hits all my pasty, scrawny, big-eyebrowed buttons and makes me feel slightly ashamed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

bringmyfishback posted:

Here is a loving unrecognizable Keith Moon.

It hits all my pasty, scrawny, big-eyebrowed buttons and makes me feel slightly ashamed.

Ya he did not age well

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Gen. Ripper posted:

I'm thinking of that part in America: The Book where it's remarked that young Russian women are super-hot, but old Russian women are super-ugly. Asians seem to have a similar thing going on.

Same with Italian women. Super blazing hot, then the instant they get married *POOF* they turn into fat pasta-cookin' mamas with mustaches.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫
In honor of President's Day, a handful of presidents (and one first lady) who, however you may feel about their politics, were drat fine looking people:

Rutherford B. Hayes

Gerald Ford (Go Blue!)

Ronald Reagan

And Nancy Reagan, from her acting days.

Sugar Shack
Jul 23, 2007

You'll never get my $20 bill, ASSHOLE!
I've always been quite taken with the stars of old-school Mexican cinema. When I was little, a family friend ran a theater that showed old Mexican movies, and I was fascinated with all the pretty ladies in the posters, like

Dolores del Río

and

Lupe Vélez

:allears:

Of course, the ice cream truck would choose this very moment to roll through my neighborhood blasting "La Cucaracha". Ay, dios.

desert diver
Mar 30, 2010

young David Ben Gurion

Enver Pasha, Ottoman war minister in WWI. Pretty bad guy but that moustache :swoon:

young Trotsky was kind of a cutie as well.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

desert diver posted:

I'm getting real Andrew Garfield vibes from him.

I always thought Kitty Genovese was kinda cute.

Yare
Jan 9, 2008
Legend

Vaginal Reward posted:

I don't recall if he was posted earlier, but a man I always found attractive for some odd reason was George Washington.

:allears:

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

desert diver posted:

Trotsky was handsome all the way up until the ice pick came out through the front of his face.

hackedaccount
Sep 28, 2009
shame about her boy who lost his hand...

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Corinne Michael West (1908 - 1991) Abstract Expressionist painter, poet, actress, and writer.

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3

Nicholas II the last Emperor of Russia

He(left) and his first cousin you might know, King George V.

His daughter Grand Duchess Maria, murdered at 19.

Printesa Ileana de Romania

I have a thing for turn of the century Eastern European rulers?

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

hackedaccount posted:

shame about her boy who lost his hand...

She has aged very well. Her face pretty much looks the same now.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

KozmoNaut posted:

Some picture I stumbled across on imgur, ostensibly it's from the 1930s.

He's clearly a Dapper Dan man.

Old picture, but...

This was a picture taken by a Farm Security Administration photographer as part of a WPA project in the 1930s, I think either Rothstein or Lange. The gentleman and his family were migrant laborers - they were photographed in the tent they were living in. There are a couple of pictures of him with his wife, but I can't find them at the moment. I've always liked this picture.

ETA; Found it. He was an unemployed lumber worker who was going with his wife to the bean harvest. The tattoo on his arm was his social security number. It was taken by Dorothea Lange in Oregon in 1939.

Bonster has a new favorite as of 22:06 on Mar 3, 2013

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

desert diver posted:

Enver Pasha, Ottoman war minister in WWI. Pretty bad guy but that moustache :swoon:

I'll see your Enver Pasha and raise you one Ataturk, Father of modern Turkey. Hella nation builder.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

Queen Nefertiti Vicomtesse Jacqueline de Ribes

Noted socialite and wearer of fine things, also extremely beautiful.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Coffee And Pie posted:

I'm getting real Andrew Garfield vibes from him.

I always thought Kitty Genovese was kinda cute.

Glad to see I'm not the only one.

Lemon Cello
Sep 2, 2011

you're posting...
I bring you two John Paul Joneses, one because I feel the need to plaster this thread with classic rock dudes, and the other because I feel like I push the definition of history a bit by posting classic rock dudes.
John Paul Jones the First, sailor and naval fighter.

John Paul Jones the Second, forgotten member of Led Zeppelin, bassist, organist, lots of other instruments-ist, all-around cool guy.

(I just saw Song Remains the Same for the first time and fell a bit in love).
Weirdly enough, John Paul Jones the First looks a bit like John Paul Jones the Second in his old age.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Bonster posted:

Old picture, but...

This was a picture taken by a Farm Security Administration photographer as part of a WPA project in the 1930s, I think either Rothstein or Lange. The gentleman and his family were migrant laborers - they were photographed in the tent they were living in. There are a couple of pictures of him with his wife, but I can't find them at the moment. I've always liked this picture.

ETA; Found it. He was an unemployed lumber worker who was going with his wife to the bean harvest. The tattoo on his arm was his social security number. It was taken by Dorothea Lange in Oregon in 1939.

Every time I see this picture, I remember that I look like a slob and I go shave. Now that I know the story behind it, I'm also going to whine less about the economy.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Nancy Wake

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer
I've had a couple of people contact me about doing commissions based on some pictures I've painted from this thread. I am a bad person and did not check my Etsy account for a month or so, so Toolbag, if you're reading this, are you still interested? You don't have PMs.

(These are all available as prints if anyone is interested...The OP said I was allowed to pimp!) https://www.etsy.com/shop/Rondette

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Haha, I guess I wasn't the only one inspired and transfixed by that one, although the interpretation went differently:

(It's a block print, which is why it's mirrored)

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

dupersaurus posted:

Haha, I guess I wasn't the only one inspired and transfixed by that one, although the interpretation went differently:

That is phenomenal, are you producing them to order?

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

dupersaurus posted:

oooh, that's lovely, it reminds me of Arts and Craft movement/Alphonse Mucha style. Very nice!

Palpatine MD
Jan 31, 2012

Passionate about your involuntary euthanasia.

QueenQuintessence posted:

Hedy Lamarr was Beautiful and brilliant.
drat. "The most beautiful woman in Europe" does not seem like an exaggeration.

Stouffer
Sep 3, 2011

For the love of God think what you're doing!
I have way too many historical crushes!

French surrealists Andre Breton & Louis Aragon

Amedeo Modigliani

Always thought young Bob Monkhouse was cute

Carole Baker

Tamara de Lempicka

Patricia Highsmith - not particularly nice, but pretty adorable

Edit: Modigliani's muse/lover Jeanne Hébuterne

Stouffer has a new favorite as of 20:23 on Mar 7, 2013

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Amused to Death posted:

The prettiest of pretty people though may in fact be Lilian Gish.

God drat you, you beat me to it by a page! I watched Birth of a Nation in a film studies class last semester and it taught me two things:

1. Despite its horrible racist qualities, the movie's remarkably similar to modern war epics/blockbusters.

2. Lillian Gish is adorable

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

lenoon posted:

That is phenomenal, are you producing them to order?

Nah, it was to play around with linocuts and such. Practice for something else I might be doing.

Rondette posted:

oooh, that's lovely, it reminds me of Arts and Craft movement/Alphonse Mucha style. Very nice!

Yeah, sometimes I manage to pull that off.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Another science hottie:

Ruth Benedict, one of the first woman scientists and one of the most important anthropologists ever. Also: total babe.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Louis XIV :swoon:

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

I love his hair, too. Along with his tight pants and huge codpiece, he could be a rock star.

I've always liked the way Edith Tolkien looked. She's the inspiration for Luthien!

The Shah of Iran and his wife were the very image of a wealthy power couple. Shame about the secret police.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

Nikaer Drekin posted:

God drat you, you beat me to it by a page! I watched Birth of a Nation in a film studies class last semester and it taught me two things:

1. Despite its horrible racist qualities, the movie's remarkably similar to modern war epics/blockbusters.

2. Lillian Gish is adorable

There's only one fact anyone ever needs to take away from the entire silent era and that is Lilian Gish is pretty personified

How about a modern day royal power couple.

King Abdullah II of Jordan appearing in Star Trek Voyager in the mid 90's

Alright, he's attractive, but nothing that stands out, a good deal of the attractiveness is a nation's leader actually made a cameo in Star Trek. Well let's move to the other 1/2 of the marriage, what about his wife Rania

Oh.my.god. :swoon:

gently caress being a princess, apparently you can be both pretty and a queen.

e: whoops, I forgot this is the from history thread, people in their 40's and 50's aren't really history. Here's some history. John Jacob Astor IV, most famous for being the richest person to die on the Titanic.(and one of the richest in the world at the time) I always thought he was pretty handsome. Few people can pull off a mustache that well

Amused to Death has a new favorite as of 23:26 on Mar 19, 2013

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Alive people count?

Michael Caine and his wife, Shakira Caine.

quote:

After seeing Baksh in a television advertisement for Maxwell House coffee, British actor Michael Caine became obsessed with finding the woman he considered to be "the most beautiful... he had ever seen."

Hard time disagreeing with you there, dude!

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

She's still a looker at 66:

And of course, Michael Caine is Michael Caine. Looking quite fit for being 80, too.

KozmoNaut has a new favorite as of 23:01 on Mar 19, 2013

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
We're posting hotties from history and no one has posted the Lizard King himself? For shame.

Jim Morrison, Doors frontman and possessor of mystical voice powers that make you love him no matter what type of music you listen to. Without Morrison, you wouldn't have Iggy Pop or the Rolling Stones, both of which went to Doors concerts to learn how to play at the huge arenas and outdoor concerts that the Doors had already been playing for years.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG
Haha, what? Iggy Pop, sure, he's talked about seeing the Doors in Michigan in '67. But the Stones were filling American arenas and stadiums years before the Doors even had a record out. Do you have a source for your claim?

Content: Young Dorothy Parker could break your heart and outwit you.

desert diver
Mar 30, 2010

Amused to Death posted:

King Abdublah of Jordan

I'll go ahead use this as an excuse for some more pictures of his dad ...

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:
He's better as an old man. That first young picture is like "Yeah, you're alright, loose the stache and we'll talk", but that last picture, oh man, there's like Sean Connery old man kind of hotness going on there.

beefnoodle posted:

Haha, what? Iggy Pop, sure, he's talked about seeing the Doors in Michigan in '67. But the Stones were filling American arenas and stadiums years before the Doors even had a record out. Do you have a source for your claim?

Content: Young Dorothy Parker could break your heart and outwit you.

Years ago I use to have her,

“If I don't drive around the park,
I'm pretty sure to make my mark.
If I'm in bed each night by ten,
I may get back my looks again,
If I abstain from fun and such,
I'll probably amount to much,
But I shall stay the way I am,
Because I do not give a drat"

Written on my wall. Parker's poems don't get enough attention these days. Although, if the story is true(and it's probably apocryphal), Silent Cal may in fact have won the wit game with
"Mr. President, I bet I can get you to say at least three words tonight"
"You lose"

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

The Pot Lid of Dorian Gray

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
I like to watch CinemaSins and Honest Trailers for all the movies I'm curious about but don't want to watch. It's like Cliff's Notes with commentary notes to use in conversation to "prove you watched it."

I've always had a bit of a crush on Sally Field (circa Smokey and the Bandit).

• Locked thread