Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I remember that when Raidou 2 was released, Atlus said that the lack of voice acting was a stylistic choice to give the game a feeling of a old time movie. Probably bullshit of course, but it's a good reason of any.

I can believe it, considering how apparently the manuals are written in 20s slang.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I really loved both Raidou games. The Riders ambushing you all the time in 2 can gently caress right off though. Also

BAD LUCK'S SHADOW LOOMS!
Skill demons are sealed
Skill demons are sealed
>Skill demons are sealed
Skill demons are sealed

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

kirbysuperstar posted:

I really loved both Raidou games. The Riders ambushing you all the time in 2 can gently caress right off though. Also

BAD LUCK'S SHADOW LOOMS!
Skill demons are sealed
Skill demons are sealed
>Skill demons are sealed
Skill demons are sealed

I was really enjoying the game until I got to some teleporting dungeon. Every now and then I put it in and go "oh that's why I stopped playing"

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

Len posted:

I was really enjoying the game until I got to some teleporting dungeon. Every now and then I put it in and go "oh that's why I stopped playing"

Ugh, now I'm getting flashbacks to Tokyo Dreamland in SMT I. That place was a nightmare and a half. Although I guess it's still better than the Chaos Cathedral's damned invisible maze.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Man I hope SMT 4 doesn't have any of that super stupid dungeon design. SJ really made me just go from 'accepting' to 'outright hating everything about it' with that poo poo. It's like they think they can't make a game with difficulty unless the dungeons are outright spitefully antagonistic towards you for daring to play the game (Sector E and H and the final dungeons from Both DDS games spring to mind as examples of what not to do).

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Looked through my old screenshots, and apparently Skill demons are just luck roulette whores.

e:

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

the final dungeons from Both DDS games spring to mind as examples of what not to do).

I didn't think the tower in DDS1 was that bad but The Sun can gently caress right off.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Proto Cloud posted:

The biggest issue with the Raidou games is that they had a serious lack of budget. They were still using 2D backgrounds in 2006 and no voiceovers. It just couldn't compete with other better action games. Even Raidou 2 is still a step below stuff like Dark Cloud 2 or DMC at the time. The standards were way too high, it's no wonder they sold terribly. The only way they could afford a serious entry is if they prefaced it with a decently popular anime to take a risk like that.

Or they could hire Platinum, alternatively.

... Not gonna lie, a SMT action spin-off by Platinum sounds like it'd be pretty sweet. Just imagine the Demi-fiend, running around, punching the poo poo out of anything and everything, forever.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

W.T. Fits posted:

... Not gonna lie, a SMT action spin-off by Platinum sounds like it'd be pretty sweet. Just imagine the Demi-fiend, running around, punching the poo poo out of anything and everything, forever.

Hitting demons with swords and fancy moves forever. :allears:

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Considering it's getting a crossover with loving Fire Emblem, a Platinum made game doesn't sound that ridiculous.

El Belmondo
Apr 3, 2011

by XyloJW

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Man I hope SMT 4 doesn't have any of that super stupid dungeon design. SJ really made me just go from 'accepting' to 'outright hating everything about it' with that poo poo. It's like they think they can't make a game with difficulty unless the dungeons are outright spitefully antagonistic towards you for daring to play the game (Sector E and H and the final dungeons from Both DDS games spring to mind as examples of what not to do).

I can't wait until SMT IV has exactly these kinds of dungeons for me to accidentally fall down 3 holes into damage tiles and dark areas with high encounter rates and pretas with macca beam. :allears:

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

I could go for a Platinum-developed Maken X title.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

kirbysuperstar posted:

BAD LUCK'S SHADOW LOOMS!
Skill demons are sealed
Skill demons are sealed
>Skill demons are sealed
Skill demons are sealed

I remember the one time I tried to fight the Pale Rider fairly once I felt like I could deal with him. When he started splitting up, I went "no" and starting spamming Megidolaon.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I think the problem with SJ dungeons is that they started out easing you in, then get pleasantly challenging, then decided "Lol gently caress the player" in Dungeon 3 with conveyor belts that can't be mapped because it's dark and you're just zooming around with no idea where you're going. And then there are like 5 more dungeons and they had to come up with "harder" bits every time.

By the end the random encounters were completely trivial so being stuck somewhere for an hour just meant you had to mash A a lot, it wasn't adding difficulty like it was supposed to, just tedium.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I think the problem with SJ dungeons is that they started out easing you in, then get pleasantly challenging, then decided "Lol gently caress the player" in Dungeon 3 with conveyor belts that can't be mapped because it's dark and you're just zooming around with no idea where you're going. And then there are like 5 more dungeons and they had to come up with "harder" bits every time.

By the end the random encounters were completely trivial so being stuck somewhere for an hour just meant you had to mash A a lot, it wasn't adding difficulty like it was supposed to, just tedium.

C got a little silly, but all the dungeons did. Really, while they were all dicks, the real assholes were Sectors E and H. Considering how ridiculous it is, E probably should have been G or something.

Proto Cloud
Feb 18, 2013

Maybe next year...

kirbysuperstar posted:

What I said wasn't trying to say that the games are gutter trash. I definitely enjoyed both (though I'm still half-way through 2), but there are definitely reasons why they failed to garner any serious attention.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Honestly, besides the teleporter puzzles, it's far less frustrating than the crap you have to deal with in SMT1 (terrible mapping, everything looks the same, 2x/3x/4x encounters, ridiculous encounter rate and ridiculous mazes from the get go) and Persona 1 (The last dungeon and everything in the Ice Queen Quest). I found the game rather tame compared to that nonsense.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Is there a point to field hunting in DDS2? I got "Rank S" on the first one and the rewards were pretty pedestrian compared to what I remember from DDS1.

Black Feather
Apr 14, 2012

Call someone who cares.
The other day I picked up Devil Survivor 2 again after leaving it to gather dust on my shelves for months and I'm now on my second playthrough. I swore to myself I would save everybody this time around, but I get distracted too easily and save at all the wrong times, so I ended up getting Joe killed. Did I lock myself out of any ending?

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
You locked yourself out of the 'true' ending, and you also locked yourself out of being a good person. You monster.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

You also may have locked yourself out of getting Pierce+ if you don't already have it.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

burntnorton posted:

Thanks for posting this, I jumped on this. Now if only Raidou 2 would follow suit.

I've got a copy of Raidou 2 that I'm willing to part with, for a reasonable price. Jesus, 90 dollars on Amazon? :psyduck:

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

TastyLemonDrops posted:

I've got a copy of Raidou 2 that I'm willing to part with, for a reasonable price. Jesus, 90 dollars on Amazon? :psyduck:

I'll like to call dibs on this, but currently on the road until tomorrow night.
Is that okay?

PM for the rest, I don't want to turn this into a SA-Mart thread.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Wait, we're talking about the PS2 games, right?

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

RadicalR posted:

I'll like to call dibs on this, but currently on the road until tomorrow night.
Is that okay?

PM for the rest, I don't want to turn this into a SA-Mart thread.

Funnily enough, I had a SA-Mart thread selling a bunch of my games, including Nocturne, DDS 1+2 and some other Atlus titles. Only Raidou 2 didn't sell! I don't have PMs, so could you e-mail me at palladion321 at gmail?

MrAristocrates posted:

Wait, we're talking about the PS2 games, right?

Yeah. I even had the Raiho plushy, but my niece thought it was super cute, so I gave it to her. Hopefully another SMT fanatic in the making!

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Might want to hold on because Devil Summoner 2 should be dropping in price soon too. Both games are being reprinted.

Snix
Aug 31, 2012

After the war of great troll, he only stands. He now returns to the legendary city to seek revenge on the death of his village. Episode 1: "Legendary School Girl Bubble Gum! Will Senpai Notice Me!?"
Does that mean that the value of the Raidou series is going to go down? Because I'll go ahead and open my copies of both games if that's the case. Granted, my copy of Raidou 2 comes with the Raiho plush, so I'm still on fence on opening that.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

tooooooo bad posted:

Might want to hold on because Devil Summoner 2 should be dropping in price soon too. Both games are being reprinted.

Wait, they're printing PS2 games in 2013? Is this... am I the only one who thinks that's a bit weird?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Cleretic posted:

Wait, they're printing PS2 games in 2013? Is this... am I the only one who thinks that's a bit weird?

No? The cost of doing so is probably next to nil at this point, so it's basically free money for Atlus.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

I wish they'd do HD collections of the PS2 games instead but they seem to be non-trivial to emulate and I guess that would get expensive. They don't emulate especially well on PC either. :(

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

tooooooo bad posted:

I wish they'd do HD collections of the PS2 games instead but they seem to be non-trivial to emulate and I guess that would get expensive. They don't emulate especially well on PC either. :(

They don't emulate well on the PS3 either if Ghostlight's...efforts to get DDS1/2 on PSN is any indication! Though P3F apparently runs fine so I guess it's just earlier revisions of the DDS3 engine.

Snix
Aug 31, 2012

After the war of great troll, he only stands. He now returns to the legendary city to seek revenge on the death of his village. Episode 1: "Legendary School Girl Bubble Gum! Will Senpai Notice Me!?"
I started Persona 2: Eternal Punishment. The PSX version, of course. The menu system is... outdated at best. It feels so needlessly complicated compared to the IS remake. I also miss seeing my character's HP and MP on the hud, as well as the indication on the compass of when the next battle will be. Also, the voice-acting is 90's anime quality. It still fun, at least. It's just going to take time to get used to, and it's making me wish the remake was approved for localization. Also, does your HP and MP regenerate? Because it seems to revert after every battle. I don't think it worked like that in IS, but I'm not complaining.

Snix fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Mar 8, 2013

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Nocturne and DDS would probably translate to HD well enough, but the prerendered backgrounds in Raidou seem like they would be a problem.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

kirbysuperstar posted:

They don't emulate well on the PS3 either if Ghostlight's...efforts to get DDS1/2 on PSN is any indication! Though P3F apparently runs fine so I guess it's just earlier revisions of the DDS3 engine.

There's apparently a point when you can just shove it out though. Maken Shao, by Ghostlight's own admission, has a bunch of "texture issues" when on PS2 Classics but they're publishing it anyway.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Policenaut posted:

There's apparently a point when you can just shove it out though. Maken Shao, by Ghostlight's own admission, has a bunch of "texture issues" when on PS2 Classics but they're publishing it anyway.

True enough, though most people probably don't really mind a few texture seams or an occasionally flickering skybox or whatever the issue is.

That does remind me of last time I emulated DDS2, I had file logging turned on for the console window for god-knows-what-reason, and saw the model names as they were loaded "sarf" was for Serph and some horrible mangling of vowels and 'g' was for Argilla. Thanks, Cozy

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Snix posted:

I started Persona 2: Eternal Punishment. The PSX version, of course. The menu system is... outdated at best. It feels so needlessly complicated compared to the IS remake. I also miss seeing my character's HP and MP on the hud, as well as the indication on the compass of when the next battle will be. Also, the voice-acting is 90's anime quality. It still fun, at least. It's just going to take time to get used to, and it's making me wish the remake was approved for localization. Also, does your HP and MP regenerate? Because it seems to revert after eery battle. I don't think it worked like that in IS, but I'm not complaining.

Yeah, I think SP regenerated in IS, but I'm not sure about EP. (I hope they release EPP here someday! :))

Also, the voice acting in this game is... unique. :shepface:

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Booky posted:

Yeah, I think SP regenerated in IS, but I'm not sure about EP. (I hope they release EPP here someday! :))

Also, the voice acting in this game is... unique. :shepface:

When it's great it's great. Really great. (Uh, both of those links probably contain spoilers for EP, and you probably shouldn't listen to either at work. Or around other people.)

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

TurnipFritter posted:

When it's great it's great. Really great. (Uh, both of those links probably contain spoilers for EP, and you probably shouldn't listen to either at work. Or around other people.)

There's some good voice acting in EP I guess (like those), but then there's some really bad voices too.

Also that first link. :stare:

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Booky posted:

Yeah, it does regenerate.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

Booky posted:

There's some good voice acting in EP I guess (like those), but then there's some really bad voices too.

Also that first link. :stare:

Still cannot get over Tatsuya ruining two of the biggest scenes in the game by having a terrible voice actor.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

MarsDragon posted:

Still cannot get over Tatsuya ruining two of the biggest scenes in the game by having a terrible voice actor.

"noooooooooooooooooooooo" :geno:

That's basically his VA the whole game urggghhhh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

tooooooo bad posted:

Up until, like, Persona 3 (and including Raidou 2 I think) a bunch of Atlus PS2 titles, including all the SMT titles, used that old Wizardry engine with a goddamn interlaced frame buffer. Interlaced frame buffers were gone by like 2003 in the rest of the PS2 world but nope, we're doing that in the year of our lord 2009. On the one hand I would be surprised if NO game with an interlaced frame buffer came out on PS2 Classics, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was the source of a whole lot of grief.

If you use an actual PS2 with anything anymore, this is also why most LCD TVs are the bane of your existence, because Atlus's games bounce between looking like MS Paint messes without something like GSDx, and looking like 240p with it.

Also SCEE probably has lower standards for PS2 Classics than SCEA. Academic referees probably have lower standards than SCEA.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Mar 8, 2013