Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Maybe you'll just have to watch the movie to find out!!! :aaa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
I guess you have a point.

me posted:

Not my Trek!
:qqsay:

I look forward to seeing how that particular scenario unfolds!

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Mogomra posted:

Yeah, I get that people like a good foot chase in their action movies, but how do they get around the fact that they have transporters, and foot chases make absolutely no sense at all in Star Trek?

An electromagnetic variance in the atmosphere reversed the polarity of the shields which are up and can't be taken down because of a singularity inside the dilithium crystals which is causing a warp core breach made of tachyons. Pretty basic, really.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Gyges posted:

An electromagnetic variance in the atmosphere reversed the polarity of the shields which are up and can't be taken down because of a singularity inside the dilithium crystals which is causing a warp core breach made of tachyons. Pretty basic, really.

Didn't everyone take the required Basic Warp Theory class in the academy?

The second chapter is called 'Bullshit Warp Terminology'

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Gyges posted:

It's the "Pretty basic, really" which renders the entirety of that babble in a Zapp Brannigan voice.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Mogomra posted:

Yeah, I get that people like a good foot chase in their action movies, but how do they get around the fact that they have transporters, and foot chases make absolutely no sense at all in Star Trek?
You do realize that they telegraphed what the hell happens so baddly that you should know the answer by now especially considering that the scene occurs well into the movie. Best guess that doesn't involve technobable is that whatever blows up the Enterprise probably blows out all the transporters.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Mar 8, 2013

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

MadScientistWorking posted:

You do realize that they telegraphed what the hell happens so baddly that you should know the answer by now especially considering that the scene occurs well into the movie. Best guess that doesn't involve technobable is that whatever blows up the Enterprise probably blows out all the transporters.

That still sucks. When you spend time generating contrivances to get around how the universe you're writing for invalidates the action scene you're so desperate to write because it just doesn't fit, you're making things suck.

I know we don't know that's what happens, but.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

AlternateAccount posted:

That still sucks. When you spend time generating contrivances to get around how the universe you're writing for invalidates the action scene you're so desperate to write because it just doesn't fit, you're making things suck.

The only reason to include any technology in a setting which trivializes something like speedy movement is to increase the drama when it burns out. In Star Trek this is quadrupled because every single bit of technology exists to create drama when it fails.

Shields? Drama. Teleport? Drama. Holodeck? So much loving drama.

Technology is boring when it works properly and should fail the second it would make a scene more exciting. Make it explode, have it sabotouged, make the enemy block it, whatever it takes. Star Trek thrives on that stuff.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Mar 8, 2013

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

AlternateAccount posted:

That isn't a contrivance. Blowing up the transporters is something so obvious to anyone with half a brain because of the fundamental strategic importance especially if the leading theory is correct and the villain is an augment.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

MadScientistWorking posted:

That isn't a contrivance. Blowing up the transporters every transporter on Earth and its moon, and on every single starship around Earth and its moon is something so obvious to anyone with half a brain because of the fundamental strategic importance especially if the leading theory is correct and the villain is an augment.
I totally understand where you coming from, but I fixed that for you because I still think it's just silly. :colbert:

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Mogomra posted:

I totally understand where you coming from, but I fixed that for you because I still think it's just silly. :colbert:
Its not. It was the plotline to a DS9 episode and aparently isn't that hard to do.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Mar 8, 2013

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

ImpAtom posted:

Technology is boring when it works properly and should fail the second it would make a scene more exciting. Make it explode, have it sabotouged, make the enemy block it, whatever it takes. Star Trek thrives on that stuff.

Mission: Impossible: Ghost: Protocol used this idea well throughout the entire movie and was way better for it.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Drama comes from people being outside of their comfort zone. It's why the TNG episode Disaster is just so good, they lose every piece of technology they have and must make do. Put people in situations they hate, like Ripley going back to LV-426 in Aliens, or throw them into situations they've never experienced before like everyone else in Aliens. :v:

In a universe built around the idea of magical technology, like Star Trek is, one of the easiest drama-accelerators is to remove some useful piece of technology. The warp core shuts down (or goes into overdrive), the transporters can't resolve, the fancy weapon systems are useless, whatever. That's Trek, and it always has been Trek.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

In a universe built around the idea of magical technology, like Star Trek is, one of the easiest drama-accelerators is to remove some useful piece of technology. The warp core shuts down (or goes into overdrive), the transporters can't resolve, the fancy weapon systems are useless, whatever. That's Trek, and it always has been Trek.

Yeah, The rules of Star Trek are basically two things:

The first rule is that they have a technology which allows every situation that is interesting to occur

This includes creating life, time travel, teleportation, resurrecting the dead, cloning, evolving into different creatures, instant communication across insane distances, transportation to other dimensions, and literally anything else you can imagine. Technology in ST is interchangeable with magic because it exists to facilitate interesting stories.

That technology will fail the second it prevents an interesting situation from occurring, because otherwise any possible source of drama is murdered in the crib and Star Trek is more interested in drama than a technologically coherent universe.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Mar 8, 2013

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
Wasn't there an episode in the original series where the transporters were out, and they just ignored the fact that they had shuttlecraft? Like, straight up pretended that they didn't exist?

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

The Dark One posted:

Wasn't there an episode in the original series where the transporters were out, and they just ignored the fact that they had shuttlecraft? Like, straight up pretended that they didn't exist?

Are you thinking of The Galileo Seven, where they're stranded on that planet? They just said there were storms and they couldn't land.

e - forgot how much The Galileo Seven owns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_I4NtO6ieKM

penismightier fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Mar 8, 2013

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

The Dark One posted:

Well in First Contact they could've reached the shuttle bay at any time to stop the Borg from using the deflector dish but for some reason didn't. Maybe that's what you're thinking of?

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

The Dark One posted:

'The Enemy Within'. It wasn't so much that they pretended the shuttlecraft didn't exist, more that they hadn't been able to budget for any sets, models or mockups for them yet. (They could have added a line to say that the storms made it impossible for them to land or something, but hey, hindsight.)

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Oh, that episode!

It always wasn't really a big deal because they had never mentioned the shuttles before in the series.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
I think it was actually Shore Leave. Memory Alpha says it was produced after The Galileo Seven, but aired one episode earlier.

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

FrensaGeran posted:

Well in First Contact they could've reached the shuttle bay at any time to stop the Borg from using the deflector dish but for some reason didn't. Maybe that's what you're thinking of?

Picard has a throwaway line "We can't get to deflector control, or a shuttlecraft."

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

:toot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxZcxkFZZP0

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Oh man, those better not be the only good Bones moments in the film! :argh:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Oh man, those better not be the only good Bones moments in the film! :argh:

Every moment with Bones is a good Bones moment :colbert:

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Mar 9, 2013

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

We've got "punch it" before going to warp, and a ship that reminds me an awful lot of the Millennium Falcon. I don't know what to think about that.

Edit: and pointy spaceships. There were also pointy spaceships.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

LividLiquid posted:

We've got "punch it" before going to warp, and a ship that reminds me an awful lot of the Millennium Falcon. I don't know what to think about that.

Edit: and pointy spaceships. There were also pointy spaceships.

Jjabrams likes Star Wars a lot.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

bobkatt013 posted:

Every moment with Bones is a good good Bones moment :colbert:

And the first movie was offensively short on them. :stare:

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

A Doomed Purloiner posted:

Picard has a throwaway line "We can't get to deflector control, or a shuttlecraft."

He says that, but they totally can. They give updates on which decks the Borg have reached and even till the end the shuttlebay is totally available.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

FrensaGeran posted:

He says that, but they totally can. They give updates on which decks the Borg have reached and even till the end the shuttlebay is totally available.
Yeah, it's another "The moon hid our warp shadow. The Vulcans did not detect us" lazy-rear end fix to a plot hole. Now I'm glad they included them rather than just leave the holes hanging there, but it didn't really address the problem in the writing.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Borg magic is stronger than Federation magic.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

LividLiquid posted:

We've got "punch it" before going to warp, and a ship that reminds me an awful lot of the Millennium Falcon. I don't know what to think about

it's a callback to Pike saying it in the 2009 movie.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Timby posted:

it's a callback to Pike saying it in the 2009 movie.

"Punch it" is the new "Engage." :smug:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Astroman posted:

"Punch it" is the new "Engage." :smug:

Man, time travel sure screws up a lot.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Karl Urban has never looked Bones-ier than in this picture. Seriously good stuff.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

bobkatt013 posted:

Every moment with Bones is a good Bones moment :colbert:

Seriously. I have no faith this movie will be good, but I'll buy a ticket to watch Urban just nail it.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
I love that the uniform fabric is made up of thousands of little Starfleet emblems.

Look at all that glorious light. There's a lot of things I don't like about new Trek, but the glossier, luminous side of the aesthetic is not one of them. And Urban just looks spot on in that frame.

I hope they make these films for another 30 years so we can get legit old Urban being bones.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

echoplex posted:

I hope they make these films for another 30 years so we can get legit old Urban being bones.

Ugh, I wish I were that lucky.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

echoplex posted:

He'll be there to help launch the Enterprise-Z on the premiere episode of Star Trek: The Next Generation12.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Mister Kingdom posted:

He'll be there to help launch the Enterprise-Z on the premiere episode of Star Trek: The Next Generation12.

Along with the 11 other Boneses they've gone through via logarithmic-scale reboots by then, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Plus exclusive Assassin's Creed DLC character, Medico Leonardo di Scapularae!

• Locked thread