Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Supercar Gautier posted:

I saw someone (possibly a Family Guy character) point out that he says "Aw hell naw" frequently in films and television. Having absorbed this teasing observation, my brain has combined it with my powerful need to vocalize strong opinions, and it has transformed into a festering (if insincere) contrarian hatred for the man.

An extension of that is the racist "welcome to earf" meme

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Carthag posted:

An extension of that is the racist "welcome to earf" meme

How is commenting on the fact that he has kind of a weird intonation on that line racist?

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

TheJoker138 posted:

How is commenting on the fact that he has kind of a weird intonation on that line racist?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfPWpEKhgfk

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

TheJoker138 posted:

Because he clearly says "earth" and not "earf"

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
"Earf" may be casual racism but my heart goes out to all those casual racists who decided they had better things to do than watch loving Independence Day again.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013
I always thought it was "earf" because he was supposed to have a cigar in his mouth, not because it was racist :ohdear:

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

In my memory it was pronounced oddly but after watching that clip it's perfectly normal.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

To be honest the meme was so powerful that for a couple years I did honestly think he said "earf". It didn't occur to me that he didn't, and I even saw it at least once during that period. Then I watched it again some years later and welp.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I'm starting to wonder how often Will Smith says "aw hell naawww" now. I know he says it in I, Robot, but I'm starting to wonder how many other movies he actually says that in.

Mind you, there are a lot of Will Smith movies I've never seen, so there's also a very good chance I just simply haven't seen his hell nawwww movies.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Even in his terrible films (of which there are plenty), Will Smith is usually the best part of them.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Vagabundo posted:

I'm starting to wonder how often Will Smith says "aw hell naawww" now. I know he says it in I, Robot, but I'm starting to wonder how many other movies he actually says that in.

Mind you, there are a lot of Will Smith movies I've never seen, so there's also a very good chance I just simply haven't seen his hell nawwww movies.

I figured his "aw hell naw" was his thing, like Arnold's "I'll be back." I miss when Will Smith made songs for all his movies, by the way. A super upbeat rap about Seven Pounds would have been amazing, and you all know it.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Vagabundo posted:

I was thinking the same thing, and checking out youtube I can't find anything but - yep- an I, Robot clip.

Though I can find a bunch of compilations with black women saying oh hell no. Hmm, this is just spitballing, but might it be part of the whole emasculating powerful black men thing? Associating him with a "female" phrase? I'm not American so I don't know how male/female that is, but it was just a thing that occurred to me.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Carthag posted:

I was thinking the same thing, and checking out youtube I can't find anything but - yep- an I, Robot clip.

Though I can find a bunch of compilations with black women saying oh hell no. Hmm, this is just spitballing, but might it be part of the whole emasculating powerful black men thing? Associating him with a "female" phrase? I'm not American so I don't know how male/female that is, but it was just a thing that occurred to me.

No, I think it's because he says "oh hell no" a lot. I know he says it in Men In Black as well, and I'm fairly certain he also says it in ID4.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

TheJoker138 posted:

No, I think it's because he says "oh hell no" a lot. I know he says it in Men In Black as well, and I'm fairly certain he also says it in ID4.

He might indeed say it a lot, I don't recall. But you gotta admit at least part of that had to be scripts. I've heard that now he has the pull to get rewrites done for him, but these are all movies from his ascent anyway so that doesn't count.

E: Forgot to say, if he does indeed say it that much, there would be at least a couple more clips on youtube than just the I Robot one. The meme is so pervasive and there aren't any clips?

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Mar 9, 2013

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I like this poster. It tells us a lot about how they're going to portray John Milius in the film.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

penismightier posted:

Who on the entire planet doesn't like Will Smith??

Everybody in Bel Air, for a start.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Vagabundo posted:

I like this poster. It tells us a lot about how they're going to portray John Milius in the film.

I hope there's a scene with him and Arnie doing the Conan commentary. "Valkyrie!"

Detective Dog Dick
Oct 21, 2008

Detective Dog Dick

Jedit posted:

Everybody in Bel Air, for a start.

Heavy lies the crown.

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

Vagabundo posted:

A crazy man about to shoot the Hollywood sign?

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

KillerQueen posted:

A crazy man about to shoot the Hollywood sign?

It's actually pretty apt.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

penismightier posted:

Who on the entire planet doesn't like Will Smith??

I've heard he can be kind of a hassle to deal with behind the scenes since he requires his own script doctors to go over every script. Also there was that whole MIB3 thing where he required his giganto trailer be on set despite having an apartment in NYC.

I still like Smith but he really should try and pull a Denzel and put his natural charisma into use for either a bad guy or something.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

muscles like this? posted:

I still like Smith but he really should try and pull a Denzel and put his natural charisma into use for either a bad guy or something.

I would love to see this. Charismatic villains are the best kind of villains.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Lizard Combatant posted:

Even in his terrible films (of which there are plenty), Will Smith is usually the best part of them.

Probably the reason I enjoy Wild Wild West. Well that and the giant robot spider.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I think Branagh is really funny in it and Kevin Kline does a passable Gene Wilder then promptly disappeared from movies entirely.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

TheJoker138 posted:

I figured his "aw hell naw" was his thing, like Arnold's "I'll be back." I miss when Will Smith made songs for all his movies, by the way. A super upbeat rap about Seven Pounds would have been amazing, and you all know it.

MIB3 was surprisingly enjoyable (aside from the weird xenophobic/fascist undertones) but having loving Pitbull do the movie's song instead of Will Smith is a crime against cinema.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

MIB3 was surprisingly enjoyable (aside from the weird xenophobic/fascist undertones) but having loving Pitbull do the movie's song instead of Will Smith is a crime against cinema.

Could you elaborate? I saw that movie, but I tend not to notice those kind of undertones. I just liked "What happened to you, man?" "I told you, it hasn't happened yet" :3: Kay was great in that movie, as was Just Boris.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I think Branagh is really funny in it and Kevin Kline does a passable Gene Wilder then promptly disappeared from movies entirely.

Don't worry about Kevin Kline. I'm pretty sure Lawrence Kasdan will write a part for him in the new Star Wars movie.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I'm not worried about Kevin Kline, he's married to Phoebe Cates.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I'm not worried about Kevin Kline, he's married to Phoebe Cates.

That lucky, lucky man.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I would love to see this. Charismatic villains are the best kind of villains.

Smith's got pretty tight image control, I really doubt he'd do anything where he's not practically angelic. I remember hearing a rumor that Tarantino wanted him for the lead in Django Unchained but he refused.

Two Worlds
Feb 3, 2009
An IMPOSTORE!

Baron von Eevl posted:

I remember hearing a rumor that Tarantino wanted him for the lead in Django Unchained but he refused.

From what I heard, Tarantino wrote Django with Smith in mind the whole time, but Smith didn't want to be associated with "black guy who kills white people and enjoys it."

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

From a gallery of GoT mondo art. http://www.wired.com/underwire/2013/03/game-of-thrones-mondo-sxsw-art/?pid=9687

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Two Worlds posted:

From what I heard, Tarantino wrote Django with Smith in mind the whole time, but Smith didn't want to be associated with "black guy who kills white people and enjoys it."

I've also heard Idris Elba was considered at some point.
I imagine a Will Smith Django would have been more charismatic and smooth while a Idris Elba Django would have been a bit more of a tough guy badass while Foxx managed to be a bit of both.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Some of those are well-drawn but not fitting. Most of them are poo poo, and some of them are just photo collages. However, for the Something Awful Academy's consideration for Most Risibly Poor Piece of Mondo Artwork, I present:

Suzuki Method
Mar 12, 2012

That gave me a serious Hark, A Vagrant vibe.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Suzuki Method posted:

That gave me a serious Hark, A Vagrant vibe.

She usually draws flat heads though, not tiny heads. Knowing absolutely nothing about Game of Thrones, is there a character who has a ridiculously tiny head like that? Because that head is so disproportionately small that I kind of have to think it was intentional.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Baron von Eevl posted:

Smith's got pretty tight image control, I really doubt he'd do anything where he's not practically angelic. I remember hearing a rumor that Tarantino wanted him for the lead in Django Unchained but he refused.

Tarantino has kind of disputed that though since. He said him and Smith met over two days and talked at length about the film and a bunch of other things but eventually decided against it. I don't think he specifically had Will Smith in mind (Tarantino has said that he stops writing roles specifically for actors, but has specific types in mind), but Django by the end of the film is meant to be a Will Smith-type.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Tewratomeh posted:

She usually draws flat heads though, not tiny heads. Knowing absolutely nothing about Game of Thrones, is there a character who has a ridiculously tiny head like that? Because that head is so disproportionately small that I kind of have to think it was intentional.

No, that is a terrible picture of the character, here is how he appears in the show:

The artist was trying to portray the burnt side of his face but somehow made him into a tiny headed mutant.

ReV VAdAUL fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Mar 10, 2013

Suzuki Method
Mar 12, 2012

No, I agree it is terrible. I hate it. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Hopefully in Milius they discuss him being partially the inspiration for Walter Sobchak in The Big Lebowski.