Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
There is also lot more hate mail and celebratory laughter in EVE I think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

LegionAreI posted:

So to bring this story to a conclusion, FFXI didn't just grief players through hosed-up game mechanics and terrible soul-crushing grinds for equipment. It griefed players by simply attempting to bring two very different gaming communities together in the same game, and split much of the community along racial lines because of difficulty in communication and misunderstandings. I'm sure many players had wonderful experiences with JP players - I know I did, but it took a long time to get over a lot of the misunderstandings and game culture differences.

Man, that's weird. When I played PSO with Japanese players they immediately brought me over to the bank, spammed smiley/happy picture chats and dumped red boxes and assloads of mesetta all over the floor. Then again, FFXI was a bit more hardcore and masochistic than PSO ever was.

meme
Oct 7, 2009

But it's a pretty good way to get someone to spend money on buying you an av and sig. Maybe I should be really obnoxious and get an upgrade myself

Moral of the story: be careful what you wish for.

You are welcome.
I played FFXI from EU release when I was like 13 to this day, although I only play now because my real life friend controls my character. This same guy is an amoral sociopath in game, with a library of player complaints across most of the major FFXI forums. I'll talk to him tomorrow and get him to type up what he considers his best grief, but I was always finding myself just stood in awe as he would bullshit, lie and cheat his way to success. He ripped off millions in drops, would offer money for people to kill powerful enemies with super rare drops, then stick loot distribution to quartermaster, which just puts everything in your loot, say "{I don't speak English}" over the autotranslate, then disband the party. He has two relic weapons, the most powerful in the game, obtained through abusing the game to kill Hyper Notorious Monsters with me and our other rear end in a top hat friend, and plunder from abusing the kindness of strangers. The amount of hate he got for this was astounding, and it was confounded by the fact that we all just found it hilarious. The best thing is, for me, that he's the best person I know at the game, in terms of sheer competence, that he keeps getting brought along even with high profile linkshells even though he basically invariably will steal something of wipe them all out of sheer malice.

If I still played as much I'd have a specific story to share, but for sure I'll get him to remind me of a few.

I always was content to stand by, or just verbally wind people up, I never had the guts to make everyone on the loving server hate and fear me.

Edit: As far as the NA/JP divide went, as an EU player I didn't see the Japanese too much but they were always cool with us. Conversely, the NA crowd also would put "JP {No Thanks!} in their search comments and shouts. The Japanese were being weird and prudish and the US guys tended to be annoying and, you know, kinda AOLspeaky. I loved that the servers weren't region locked though, and I met some real cool people I wouldn't have met if I was only playing with other europeans.

Edit 2- content

I just remembered something that I shouldn't have forgot considering it happened only a few months ago. A year back, me and him quit. We were both at university, it was an old lovely game, our friend had been banned for speedhacking, XIV had been patched to be playable, so we moved on. My buddy (We'll call him Vivi, because that was pretty much his ingame name) decides to sell his account, use the money to build a new computer. As he has most jobs at their max level, years in the game had meant all his storyline quests, all the tedious, time consuming important stuff was done, amazing gear, relic weapons, he gets about £1200 for the account. The sale happens, he builds a gaming pc, and all is well.

But Vivi starts missing the game, he brings it up every now and again. and I sign into skype one day in november last year to an immediate phone call from him. I answer it, he's laughing hysterically down the phone about how he just reset his SE account password and got an IM from the guy he sold the account to saying "Hey, I can't log in"- he put two and two together and realised that when square switched to a single account over all its online games, it merged in his playonline (the client/account system for FFXI) with his SE account (the new system brought in shortly before the launch of XIV). So he decides to try and log in to FFXI. It works.

Since selling the character, the game's max level increased by 10 and a ton of rare new gear had been released to go along with that. Vivi had it all. The guy who bought the account had aparrently been using it as his main. He had millions of gil, top-tier gear, all the new quests completed, and he had been paid £1200 for the privelege of playing his character for a year. He still messages Vivi every week or so in an increasingly antagonistic or desperate manner, and for his part, Vivi just replies with :P. The poor guy can't even complain to anyone, It's against the ToS to buy accounts, and when SE suspended the account on suspicion of foul play, Vivi just said he'd been hacked and they let it go. He works in a bank now.

meme fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Mar 10, 2013

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Slanderer posted:

Everquest Stuff

You're right. Nearly every advancement made in MMO's and RPG's in general from instanced dungeons to penalties for death can be traced back to Everquest. EQ really was the start of it all and the first of its kind. The time period in which it was released is a big one too. No Youtube. No Wiki's. Only player shared knowledge and guess/check. Brutal.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I doubt people not wanting to play with players that don't speak their language is really "griefing".

Think of the times you've been in a game and someone starts shouting moonspeak at you, or perhaps more commonly, long diatribes in Portugese. Most people automatically feel a little aggrivation at the language barrier, and in some cases (like the Brazilians mentioned above) they'll actively feel anger just for being grouped with someone they don't see as being equal in skill due to stereotypes.

You're not discriminating against those people to cause them harm or loss, you're doing so to ostensibly save yourself preceived future grief.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

kirbysuperstar posted:

Man, that's weird. When I played PSO with Japanese players they immediately brought me over to the bank, spammed smiley/happy picture chats and dumped red boxes and assloads of mesetta all over the floor. Then again, FFXI was a bit more hardcore and masochistic than PSO ever was.

It's a different game. FFXI's death penalties weren't extremely harsh by really old MMO standards but they were steep enough that you didn't want to die. I know the first time I played PSO2 with friends, a Japanese player came up and asked if we needed help in perfectly understandable English. I imagine the PSO2 response is also partly because of how interesting it can be to see foreigners play a game despite a vast language barrier, whereas FFXI had proper translations and everything.

As for inspecting players in FFXI, IIRC it wasn't anything offensive, just not really polite.

Speaking of griefs, PSO2 had some serial griefers shortly before I quit from boredom of the grinding. Some players had found a way to move NPCs around because Sega still doesn't know how to not give clients too much power, and many lobbies were left with the mission NPCs outside the glass, standing in space. For those that don't know, PSO2 uses instanced lobbies and a mission system. You can go on missions with up to three other people, which spawns you in a randomized area made from premade tiles much like the old PSO. The lobby consists of the ground floor and the shop, with no way of leaving other than missions. Sega just had gameguard then (And still does now) which is pretty much a widely used (In Asia) lovely anti-cheat program that's more likely to freak out over Skype open and nuke the game than catch a cheater. Naturally, Sega responds by looking for suspicious activity and going through player reports, leading to a number of bans that failed to catch the griefers. Then the griefers started moving players. You'd see a bunch of players stuck outside in space and they'd get reported and banned for suspicious activities despite being victims.

And the purported motivation behind the griefing was to get Sega to give the yet-to-materialize Western version of PSO2 updates on par with the Japanese (Previous PSO games tended to lag behind in updates severely). Instead, they just pissed off a lot of Japanese and English players, though that was probably intended.

meme
Oct 7, 2009

But it's a pretty good way to get someone to spend money on buying you an av and sig. Maybe I should be really obnoxious and get an upgrade myself

You are welcome.

Zaodai posted:

I doubt people not wanting to play with players that don't speak their language is really "griefing".

Think of the times you've been in a game and someone starts shouting moonspeak at you, or perhaps more commonly, long diatribes in Portugese. Most people automatically feel a little aggrivation at the language barrier, and in some cases (like the Brazilians mentioned above) they'll actively feel anger just for being grouped with someone they don't see as being equal in skill due to stereotypes.

You're not discriminating against those people to cause them harm or loss, you're doing so to ostensibly save yourself preceived future grief.

I agree, I found the whole argument stupid as all get out and was just happy that as an EU player it didn't effect me much. For sure I got turned down for japanese parties because {English} {No Thanks!} every now and then but it didn't bother me.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

meme posted:

I played FFXI from EU release when I was like 13 to this day, although I only play now because my real life friend controls my character. This same guy is an amoral sociopath in game, with a library of player complaints across most of the major FFXI forums. I'll talk to him tomorrow and get him to type up what he considers his best grief, but I was always finding myself just stood in awe as he would bullshit, lie and cheat his way to success. He ripped off millions in drops, would offer money for people to kill powerful enemies with super rare drops, then stick loot distribution to quartermaster, which just puts everything in your loot, say "{I don't speak English}" over the autotranslate, then disband the party. He has two relic weapons, the most powerful in the game, obtained through abusing the game to kill Hyper Notorious Monsters with me and our other rear end in a top hat friend, and plunder from abusing the kindness of strangers. The amount of hate he got for this was astounding, and it was confounded by the fact that we all just found it hilarious. The best thing is, for me, that he's the best person I know at the game, in terms of sheer competence, that he keeps getting brought along even with high profile linkshells even though he basically invariably will steal something of wipe them all out of sheer malice.

If I still played as much I'd have a specific story to share, but for sure I'll get him to remind me of a few.

I always was content to stand by, or just verbally wind people up, I never had the guts to make everyone on the loving server hate and fear me.

Edit: As far as the NA/JP divide went, as an EU player I didn't see the Japanese too much but they were always cool with us. Conversely, the NA crowd also would put "JP {No Thanks!} in their search comments and shouts. The Japanese were being weird and prudish and the US guys tended to be annoying and, you know, kinda AOLspeaky. I loved that the servers weren't region locked though, and I met some real cool people I wouldn't have met if I was only playing with other europeans.

Edit 2- content

I just remembered something that I shouldn't have forgot considering it happened only a few months ago. A year back, me and him quit. We were both at university, it was an old lovely game, our friend had been banned for speedhacking, XIV had been patched to be playable, so we moved on. My buddy (We'll call him Vivi, because that was pretty much his ingame name) decides to sell his account, use the money to build a new computer. As he has most jobs at their max level, years in the game had meant all his storyline quests, all the tedious, time consuming important stuff was done, amazing gear, relic weapons, he gets about £1200 for the account. The sale happens, he builds a gaming pc, and all is well.

But Vivi starts missing the game, he brings it up every now and again. and I sign into skype one day in november last year to an immediate phone call from him. I answer it, he's laughing hysterically down the phone about how he just reset his SE account password and got an IM from the guy he sold the account to saying "Hey, I can't log in"- he put two and two together and realised that when square switched to a single account over all its online games, it merged in his playonline (the client/account system for FFXI) with his SE account (the new system brought in shortly before the launch of XIV). So he decides to try and log in to FFXI. It works.

Since selling the character, the game's max level increased by 10 and a ton of rare new gear had been released to go along with that. Vivi had it all. The guy who bought the account had aparrently been using it as his main. He had millions of gil, top-tier gear, all the new quests completed, and he had been paid £1200 for the privelege of playing his character for a year. He still messages Vivi every week or so in an increasingly antagonistic or desperate manner, and for his part, Vivi just replies with :P. The poor guy can't even complain to anyone, It's against the ToS to buy accounts, and when SE suspended the account on suspicion of foul play, Vivi just said he'd been hacked and they let it go. He works in a bank now.

This whole post is dumb and your friend is a thief.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Argas posted:

Speaking of griefs, PSO2 had some serial griefers shortly before I quit from boredom of the grinding. Some players had found a way to move NPCs around because Sega still doesn't know how to not give clients too much power, and many lobbies were left with the mission NPCs outside the glass, standing in space. For those that don't know, PSO2 uses instanced lobbies and a mission system. You can go on missions with up to three other people, which spawns you in a randomized area made from premade tiles much like the old PSO. The lobby consists of the ground floor and the shop, with no way of leaving other than missions. Sega just had gameguard then (And still does now) which is pretty much a widely used (In Asia) lovely anti-cheat program that's more likely to freak out over Skype open and nuke the game than catch a cheater. Naturally, Sega responds by looking for suspicious activity and going through player reports, leading to a number of bans that failed to catch the griefers. Then the griefers started moving players. You'd see a bunch of players stuck outside in space and they'd get reported and banned for suspicious activities despite being victims.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that: http://i1145.photobucket.com/albums/o513/uchitoru1/pso2/pso20120720_135657_000.jpg

I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out to be Broomop behind it.

meme
Oct 7, 2009

You are welcome.

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

This whole post is dumb and your friend is a thief.

Eh, someone asked for FFXI stories. Buying and selling accounts is against the terms of service, we were amazed at the time that some nerd would pay over a thousand pounds for a loving FFXI character and as far as we're concerned if you have disposable income to spend on such dumb poo poo you deserve to be ripped off. No different to those guys on EVE who get their PLEX blown up.

Edit: I don't care what you think

meme fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Mar 10, 2013

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

meme posted:

Eh, someone asked for FFXI stories. Buying and selling accounts is against the terms of service, we were amazed at the time that some nerd would pay over a thousand pounds for a loving FFXI character and as far as we're concerned if you have disposable income to spend on such dumb poo poo you deserve to be ripped off. No different to those guys on EVE who get their PLEX blown up.

Actually it's 100% different.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

I just can't believe someone paid over 1000 pounds for a video game account.

meme
Oct 7, 2009

You are welcome.

Dauntasa posted:

I just can't believe someone paid over 1000 pounds for a video game account.

This is my point, basically the guy griefed himself, we were just the tools of his self destruction. Absurd.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

I have a hard time feeling bad for a guy who decides to spend $1800 to buy an account for an MMO frankly.

Gabriel Pope posted:

Really? I feel very sorry for him. Just not necessarily because he was scammed.

Obviously I have have no personal details on the person but spending that much money on something so frivolous is just beyond my comprehension.

Homeless Friend fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Mar 10, 2013

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Homeless Friend posted:

I have a hard time feeling bad for about a guy who spends $1800 to buy an account for an MMO frankly.

Really? I feel very sorry for him. Just not necessarily because he was scammed.

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk

Zaodai posted:

It wasn't so much griefing between players because I totally understood exactly what you said above. (I honestly had way more trouble with French players than with Japanese players) It was just another game mechanic, or at least game choice, in FFXI that made things more difficult than it needed to be. I think that ultimately it was a good thing for the game to not be region-locked, but by the time I quit it still raised it's head every so often as I was a part of the high-end raiding scene where everyone had to "work together."

Bringing it back to game mechanics that hated players in FFXI, the raiding scene was pretty interesting as well. Someone already talked about the Hyper Notorious Monsters, so I'll talk about Dynamis/Limbus and the ridiculous mechanics involved. There was definitely potential for player griefing with these mechanics too, so I think it fits more with this thread!

Dynamis was pretty much a large-scale raid where you got high-end equipment. They weren't really that difficult, but they were time consuming. Limbus was a smaller-scale version of that, with different types of high-end equipment. The interesting, player-hating mechanic for both of these at the time I was playing was that they were only instanced by the fact that they teleported you to a private area. The fun part comes in when you understand that at the time, only one group could be in each of the areas at once. Once a group started, the area was locked for a few hours, so nobody else could do the raid. There were only a few of these raids as well, and my server was a pretty full server so....

Cue races to click the start thing before anyone else when a group finished, elaborate server schedules that people broke whenever they felt like it, epic international arguments about sniping areas and not following the vague "rules" the guild leaders on servers set up, "rules" being set by the high-end Japanese guilds that weren't communicated to the NA/EU community causing huge arguments, "betrayals" by guilds that just wanted to get a slot that wasn't at 3am on a Monday morning, butthurt individual rich players buying the items that started the raid and going in by themselves just to lock the areas ... it really was a fantastic clusterfuck for years until SE figured out how to really instance the areas.

Limbus was worse sometimes because you had to traverse a level-capped, annoying area to even get to the place where you could access the start area. Also, since there were more Limbus areas, nobody made schedules and by the time you got to the start place other groups could have beaten you there and filled up all the instances. Switching to another set of Limbus areas involved another long slog through level capped zones so it was a huge pain in the butt.

Compared to the fun of actually getting into an instance, the raids themselves were pretty boring!

LegionAreI fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Mar 10, 2013

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009
It's worth noting also, on the FFXI grouping divide, that FFXI was kind of a slow game. You'd find a spot, get some guys pulling monsters to that spot, and kill those monsters, for hours. You often had multiple seconds in-between actually using any abilities (though you were supposed to synchronize them with other players for different effects, so it wasn't too bad). A big part of what made a decent party great was finding people who were fun to talk to in those hours you spent killing the same monsters in the same place by using a small handful of abilities every few seconds. You can communicate with people using the autotranslater (which was awesome) but you couldn't really have a conversation.

Finding people who spoke the same language, were fun to talk to, and were good players was like hitting the lottery.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

Homeless Friend posted:

I have a hard time feeling bad for a guy who decides to spend $1800 to buy an account for an MMO frankly.

Obviously I have have no personal details on the person but spending that much money on something so frivolous is just beyond my comprehension.

Not to mention the fact that he spent $1800 on something that you aren't even legally allowed to buy and sell.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

Son of a Vondruke! posted:

Not to mention the fact that he spent $1800 on something that you aren't even legally allowed to buy and sell.

Regardless of how much of a loser the target is, ripping somebody off like that's still a scumbag thing to do.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

amp281
Dec 31, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I've been trolling league of legends with a buddy for some time now. Its very easy because they never IP ban and you can make unlimited temporary accounts with names like "Gay is Okay", "maximum troller" "enormous penls", and "Ilovecokcs" etc. This usually gets the very homophobic 15 year old gamers that play it very enraged once you start feeding the other team's carry (basically feeding is when you die to that character so that the other teams character levels faster, a carry is a character that is really good at the end of the game when it is leveled up that it is asymmetrical to the other characters in power). Other strategies are telling the other players you are a pacifist and following them around but not attacking anything, having a "dance party" at the middle of the map, reporting other players for negative attitude, and playing characters completely incorrectly while claiming to be a newbie. Once they start swearing at you, you can report them for harassment. Make sure you notify them that you did so they will get more enraged. Character's like "Trundle" and "twitch" are great because they actually resemble a troll or rat. Other good characters to play are any character that is overpowered, because that means the other players on your team cannot use it. Occupying another player's lane when they don't want you there taking their experience is great as well, or claiming that you are a jungler but play it very poorly.

The best part is when someone threatens to report you, and you say "go ahead... I am actually a RIOT games employee and beta tester of the new anti-griefing system" or "Go ahead and report, I will report you back for calling me [insert racial slur], and then make a new account".

The game is free to play and you don't need a real email to sign up, so emails like 123919sadfuaw@e9r2djfskfs.com work fine.

amp281 fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Mar 10, 2013

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
I Debated With British - The Griefing Morality Discussion Thread

meme
Oct 7, 2009

You are welcome.

i am tim! posted:

Regardless of how much of a loser the target is, ripping somebody off like that's still a scumbag thing to do.

If he didn't want to be ripped off maybe in the 8 months he controlled the account he could have changed the registered email address.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
FWIW, WoW does forced grouping with people from Latin American servers for random dungeons, and the response has been overwhelmingly negative. Essentially mandating a language barrier with no way to opt-out has rubbed a lot of players the wrong way for some reason!

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!

Tykero posted:

Finding people who spoke the same language, were fun to talk to, and were good players was like hitting the lottery.

I only played for a month, but honestly one of my favourite memories from that awful, awful game was reading some of the Engrish macros Japanese players would use. I don't remember move names or chain orders or anything, but seeing <<{UNLEASH WET LIQUID HELL}>> right before an attack over and over and over was great. I'd imagine Japanese players had a similar experience from all the wannabe-Japanese names running around.

ellbent
May 2, 2007

I NEVER HAD SOUL
Old FFXI stories, eh?

Back when I played FFXI I reached a point where I got fed up with waiting eight hours to get into a group my level as a Monk (a not-too-desired class for party composition) so I started playing a Beastmaster. The Beastmaster was the only job in the game (this is after the release but before Chains of Promathia) that allowed you to solo effectively to high levels. I mean, if you had some music to listen to anyway, since you were still playing an MMO except now you didn't have any party members. Anyway.

Beastmasters tamed roaming creatures to help them out; that's why they could play alone. They also had the ability to release these monsters from servitude at will. Originally, monsters tamed and released by a Beastmaster could aggro and kill the Beastmaster almost immediately after being released, so you'd wait by a zone line and flee immediately, or only release monsters that had already been hosed up by the slave labor you put them through. This was fixed, by making released monsters be 'docile' for a few moments before behaving normally. Now, there was a magical, wonderful span of time of only a couple months tops between two very important events that I liked to call "the good times."

Event 1: It became feasible to release a docile monster into a party in the midst of a fight.

Event 2: MPK, or "Monster Player Killing," became a permaban offense.

If you dimissed a pet in the middle of that party's combat, the docile monster would aggro the party moments later and, considering FFXI parties always fought monsters they could just barely afford to in the first place, it would lead to mass death. Death in FFXI meant hours, days, sometimes weeks of powergrinding would be undone, because death made you lose 10% of the total difference in XP between your level and next level. Sometimes this meant you could go down a level.

At a period where I was most frustrated by the players on my server, the way the game was shaping up, botting was rampant, and inflation was completely out of control because of gilselling (goldselling), I entered... the protection racket.

"This is a nice party you've got here. It'd be a shame if someone were to release a monster into it and wipe you guys out. I'm just saying."

Occasionally, I'd be contracted by one party (pooling money amongst each other) to go wipe another party, because workable camping spots in some areas were so few and in such high demand that people just completely lost all conscience about what they'd do to make sure they didn't have to wait six hours for the last party to clear out or go idle in town for the right hour of the day to come along so they could craft. These 'contracts' were so fun for me that I eventually just began to put up bidding wars between newcomers and the established camp to one of these high-demand zones. Running back and forth, watching prices go up. At the start I just did it because I wanted to make sure nobody was having fun, but eventually I just found it loving hilarious and it was my only reason to log on.

Sometimes I would watch a bidding war add a 0 to my 'protection money,' then regardless of who won I'd wipe the camping party, let the new party take over, then wipe them too. IT NEVER STOPPED BEING HILARIOUS. Word got around (servers were/are pretty tight-knit) and it was common knowledge that I was untrustworthy, but people were so addicted to the grind that they paid anyway out of hope I wouldn't cause them to have wasted the last four nights they spent playing from noon to dawn in one death.

Then the glory days faded and MPK turned into something that could get your credit card permanently banned from FFXI. Luckily the powers that be decided to only permaban people who did it AFTER the declaration, so I stayed on for a month or two more before giving up out of complete boredom. C'est la vie!

I also used this same ability to kill players that fished with bots because it's pretty easy for a monster to kill someone who's going to be completely idle for the next 18 hours. Community service!

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

meme posted:

The guy who bought the account had aparrently been using it as his main. He had millions of gil, top-tier gear, all the new quests completed, and he had been paid £1200 for the privelege of playing his character for a year. He still messages Vivi every week or so in an increasingly antagonistic or desperate manner, and for his part, Vivi just replies with :P. The poor guy can't even complain to anyone, It's against the ToS to buy accounts, and when SE suspended the account on suspicion of foul play, Vivi just said he'd been hacked and they let it go. He works in a bank now.

Defrauding someone out of £1200 is different from defrauding someone out of virtual currency worth £1200. What a sad and foolish victim, though.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

amp281 posted:

I've been trolling league of legends with a buddy for some time now. Its very easy because they never IP ban and you can make unlimited temporary accounts with names like "Gay is Okay", "maximum troller" "enormous penls", and "Ilovecokcs" etc. This usually gets the very homophobic 15 year old gamers that play it very enraged once you start feeding the other team's carry (basically feeding is when you die to that character so that the other teams character levels faster, a carry is a character that is really good at the end of the game when it is leveled up that it is asymmetrical to the other characters in power). Other strategies are telling the other players you are a pacifist and following them around but not attacking anything, having a "dance party" at the middle of the map, reporting other players for negative attitude, and playing characters completely incorrectly while claiming to be a newbie. Once they start swearing at you, you can report them for harassment. Make sure you notify them that you did so they will get more enraged. Character's like "Trundle" and "twitch" are great because they actually resemble a troll or rat. Other good characters to play are any character that is overpowered, because that means the other players on your team cannot use it. Occupying another player's lane when they don't want you there taking their experience is great as well, or claiming that you are a jungler but play it very poorly.

The best part is when someone threatens to report you, and you say "go ahead... I am actually a RIOT games employee and beta tester of the new anti-griefing system" or "Go ahead and report, I will report you back for calling me [insert racial slur], and then make a new account".

The game is free to play and you don't need a real email to sign up, so emails like 123919sadfuaw@e9r2djfskfs.com work fine.

I Actually got banned for threatening to report people. That community is one big troll .

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

Doodles posted:

when one of Goonfleet's fleet commanders pressed Jump instead of Bridge

And that's not even the first time a Titangoon accidentally hit Jump. They really are bad at internet spaceships. :allears:

NihilVerumNisiMors fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Mar 10, 2013

Taratang
Sep 4, 2002

Grand Master

LLCoolJD posted:

Defrauding someone out of £1200 is different from defrauding someone out of virtual currency worth £1200. What a sad and foolish victim, though.
Hard to feel sorry for someone who gets ahead in a video game by throwing disposable income at it.

Also you can't defraud someone if the contract of sale isn't valid to begin with. He knew he could get banned or otherwise lose the account at any time and dropped the cash anyway.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Well, since the thread is now about real life griefing and how awesome it is let me tell you all about this time I hobbled and murdered an old man. He had it coming!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Hey guys shut up. Go back to talking about being dicks in games and not debating the moral relatives of being dicks IRL and in video games.

Re: LoL and other DOTA likes: you can infuriate people outside of the game by insinuating the games have he worst community in history.

Orv
May 4, 2011

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

And that's not even the first time a Titangoon accidentally hit Jump. They really are bad at internet spaceships. :allears:

And yet we still own a quarter of the game space, and more of the money/income. (For now.) :ughh: Pubbies.

Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

Mod Secrets #614 - Experto Crede is the one who bought most of those frog avatars

SpookyLizard posted:

Hey guys shut up. Go back to talking about being dicks in games and not debating the moral relatives of being dicks IRL and in video games.

Re: LoL and other DOTA likes: you can infuriate people outside of the game by insinuating the games have he worst community in history.

Which is fantastic to do because then they prove it :allears:

My friend's roommate mentioned DOTA2 once while I was over, and he hit a perfect storm of angry. He had an NBA game on his 360 running on manager-related stuff, and he'd let the games play on his TV like they were real basketball games so he could keep track of what was going on. Then he'd play DOTA2 in the mean time, and since my friend wanted to play too, I went and grabbed my laptop so we could all play together. I had never in my life played DOTA2 before.

We played against bots, not even human characters, and I had a hard time getting used to it because I had never been good at games like warcraft or starcraft. As the roommate is getting slowly less and less polite with me on what I'm doing wrong, he looks up to see one of the two big players on his team get injured and he freaked the gently caress out, then the kid gloves came off. I didn't think people actually spoke out loud like they would via chat in DOTA2, but he definitely did :psyduck:

You can grief 9 other people, any time you want, just by joining an online game of DOTA2 and getting yourself killed. Heaven forbid you ever manage to be solo-mid-carry when doing this :allears:

Usually I just end up on top or bottom, though, and when the other person I'm with goes to jungle (basically no longer attacking the low-level enemies so he can search for other heroes that are MIA, gank them, or do other specific things that don't involve the low-level non-hero enemies) I just start whiffing every last-hit (which denies the other team experience, so they can't level up). You hear the most wonderful things when they come back to the lane and you've lost a tower or two because the other hero(es) gained a couple levels and enough gold to buy new items, and you've died once or twice because of it

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Get one of them to explain the difference between "ARTS" and "MOBAS". And then say you don't see the difference.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

SpookyLizard posted:

It amazes me how many online communities are so sensitive to this. It's not just DOTA likes, I recently binged on Chivalry: Medieval Warfare and it runs into the same thing. Most people playing that game are powder kegs waiting to be lit and you don't even have to play disruptively to get them to detonate. All it takes is one sideways comment and you're off to the races.

This is particularly true about teamkilling. For those who haven't played, Chivalry revolves around melee combat, so like most melee combat engines, it's very all or nothing with regard to hitting and missing, and your in-game avatar has no concept of redirecting or aborting an attack once it has launched. The hit detection is also really wonky, as melee combat engines tend to be, and its latency correction basically doesn't exist - over about 100 ping you're going to get some serious bullshit happening, and this is true whether it's your ping or your opponent's. So, the engine doesn't help this at all. Further there is the swing attack, which swings your weapon horizontally exactly like you'd expect. The trajectory makes it the easiest to hit someone with, and it's bound to LMB, so it's by far the most common attack. What this amounts to is that in any fight with more than 2 people in it, SOMEONE is going to get team damaged - it's inevitable. Even if people refuse to swing and only use the more controllable overhead/thrust attacks, attacks come so slowly and players move so quickly that you can easily pop someone completely on accident.

Whenever you TK someone, it's generally part of the etiquette to say 'sorry' when the current fight is over. One of the easiest things to do to set people off is to simply say "you're not actually sorry." Even if you had no involvement whatsoever in the melee, calling people out on an empty platitude will start making them very defensive, and from there it's normal old trolling. It's even easier when someone's having a bad day and complains about teamkilling. Most players are experienced enough that a few bonks on the head won't bother them, but every so often someone's had a rotten day and getting TKed will be what pushes them over the edge. Pointing out that TKing has been a central game mechanic since day 1 really sends these people off the deep end. You can even say it politely, like "Teamkilling has been part of the game since day 1, I doubt you getting mad at someone will change it" and it'll still send them onto the logical treadmill of "WELL IT MAKES ME MADDDD" and you can jerk them around from there. If you decide to be rude and spit out something like "Hey man, you know what'll make teamkilling better in this game? Whining like a bitch about it! You should do that more!" You're going to get pretty much the entire server in on the act. Sometimes the arguing gets so bad that victory on a certain round is more determined by how many people are playing instead of typing.

Mechanically, this game is still ridiculously trollable due to the Man at Arms class. MaA is the 'light skirmisher' of the game. He wears very little armor and carries only a one-handed melee weapon (one exception was added recently, but it doesn't change the basics of how MaA plays) that generally does pretty low damage, particularly compared to the bigass two-handers of the heavier classes. Due to the aforementioned latency problems in the game, the MaA very rarely performs. Even in the hands of good players, and having the benefit of a dodging move that makes him hop away from an area ridiculously quickly, his success is inextricably linked to network reliability of every other person connected to the server, and how often the game's quirks favor the MaA. Getting lag-hit as a heavy knight will just get you hit, and piss you off a bit. As an MaA, it'll likely kill you!

So the easy way to gently caress with people as an MaA is to recognize that your class is buggy and underpowered most times and simply not try to fight. Being a light class, you're faster than most, so you can run people in circles basically forever, and evade any interception attempts with your dodging move. Many heavier players like attacking MaAs because they know they don't have a ton of health, which equates to 'free kills' in their mind. Simply leading them on a merry chase through their own territory is incredibly frustrating, particularly when you consider that if they try to disengage and walk away, you can generally loop back around and bonk them in the head with your low damage weapon and send them spinning around at you. It actually decreases the annoyance factor if you kill them like this, because at least then you've got a coherent strategy. So the best thing to do, instead, is to dodge backward and use taunt voicebinds to yell at them. The frustration you build up like this made one guy melt down at me once, and the server had to votekick him off because he was idle from yelling at me.

The other easy way to grief with MaA is their throwable weapon, the oil pot. It's basically a fire grenade, when you throw it, it lights a small circle on fire, puts a burning effect on hit players' screens, burns off a paltry amount of health, and, best of all, makes their avatars scream bloody murder about how they're on fire. There is one objective where, shortly after the attackers spawn, they have access to an ammo chest where they can refill throwables or arrows (in archers' case). It's supposed to be used by the defenders in the previous objective, but its positioning makes it ridiculously exploitable for a bored MaA. People spawn in waves in Chiv, so every so often you'll have a tight pack of 4-5 teammates run by this ammo crate. As an MaA who's equipped the oil pot, you can throw your oil pot down after your teammates, setting the entire group of them on fire as they land. With the ammo crate right next to you, you can often grab another oil pot and send it down after them as they look around, confused, and eventually lock eyes with you up top, setting them on fire AGAIN. Gloating in chat afterward about how much you love their screams will at minimum get you a cacophany of gently caress yous, and at best will get someone ineffectually trying to jump back up into spawn to try to murder you.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
Griefing in RTS games or DOTA-likes is pointless because they get people angry no matter what.

They get especially angry though when you hide fast a barracks or two right outside their base, and beat them in <5 minutes.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Slanderer posted:

Of course, everquest got better as new, better MMOs came out, but many of them were looking at everquest and the lessons people had learned playing it for hundreds of ours. So, in a real way, Everquest is sorta responsible for many of the streamlined, intuitive and helpful mechanics in games like WoW today. I assume, at least.

Personally, I still have fond-ish memories of dying to some unknown horror in the depths of a volcano that was (a) too high level for me and (b) required groups and people who knew all of the secrets, and then desperately running from the Halfling city, though a forest full of ludicrously powerful undead and shadowknights (one of which, I think, I had to camp for a long rear end time until a raid came along trying to kill one of these guys for a high level quest line, because one of his friends dropped an extremely-obscure mask for rogues that changes your appearance to another race. Took a lot of work cooperation to collect all of those drat rogue masks), through several more zones, finding someone to cast a spell to let me drag my corpse out of the lava, dying again in the process, but eventually succeeding in recovering my poo poo.

I will never argue that EQ started it all, but it had so many obnoxious, sadistic aspects that I cannot look back on the early days with any fondness, apart from a few specific memories. Even today, though the game is much less painful, you can still lose a level to death (which I absolutely despise). I know of only one ability, usable about once per week *if* you have a 10-year-old character, that gives back 100% of the experience lost to death. Nothing is more fun than hitting a new level and then having to get "padding exp" just in case you die.

The quest you were talking about above is for the Mask of the Coercer, which lets you look like a high elf. I just did this quest on my bard a few weeks ago. It involves doing part of the rogue Ragebringer quest, but instead of working with Stanos, you kill him. Then (here is the fun part) you have to take his head to a house full of high-level undead monsters in a nearby zone. You have to give a box (acquired during the quest) to one of the named undead to spawn the General, then give him the head for the mask. The problem is that undead mobs hate everyone and see through normal invisibility as well as special Invis to Undead, and you automatically drop invis anyway whenever you open a trade window with any NPC. So, to finish this quest on my bard (who are much, much poorer at stealth than rogues), I had to pull every mob in that house, beat them down until just one named was left, clear aggro, then use Sneak to approach the named undead from behind and give him the box. This spawned the General, but he spawns with his back to a wall, so I cannot Sneak up on him. So, I had to pull him out of the house, clear aggro (Bards are fantastic at this, I will admit), then get far away from him and Sneak up on him to give him the head, and I got my mask. The only reason that this was borderline feasible is that my bard was level 82 at the time with 4400 armour points, doing a sequence designed for several dozen people of about 50-55 with a small fraction of my Armour Class and hit points.

I am sorry to hear about cross-language tensions in those MMOs, but I am not surprised. I prefer to play games in French whenever I can, but I have never seen a French client for EQ and I was unable to get a French-language version of WoW during the two stints that I played, despite the fact that I was using the North American version of WoW that was also sold in Canada (where I was born, though I was living in the US at the time), and was supposed to be bilingual. I even called the GMs to ask about it and talked to a very pleasant French Canadian chap, but he could not help me. Never quite understood that.

JustJeff88 fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Mar 10, 2013

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

amp281 posted:

I've been trolling league of legends with a buddy for some time now.

That's just kind of lame.

SpookyLizard posted:

LoL and other DOTA likes: you can infuriate people outside of the game by insinuating the games have he worst community in history.

The better way is to just try and make any kind of comparison, ANY kind, between the quality of LoL and Dota. That alone sets off spergs like nothing else. The reason I say this is because, most people I've seen will more than readily agree that the genre has some of the worst communities you could ever imagine. :v:

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Mar 10, 2013

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
I've been playing WoW again as a timewaster and I've been playing on Duskwood in the goon guild <What>. Now, when you go on a raid (a 10 or 25-man dungeon against several larger-than-normal bosses) you can either go with your friends for a harder experience with better loot or you can do with 24 other random people. You can also join with your friends in the 24-man random.

So me and several guildmates did a raid with 20 random people. I'm a druid-- generally considered crap, except for the fact we can resurrect people while combat is still happening.

As soon as I got in that game, I told them I wouldn't resurrect anyone until they said in raid chat "<Guildmate's> nipples are too puffy for any man to ever love him." Everyone just plays it off until the third boss in, when the main tank fucks up and dies. He gets resurrected once by someone else. He dies again. Then the other tank dies.

By this time, the boss is going nuts on people. She's killing people left and right. And meanwhile I'm running around screaming "SAY IT. TELL <GUILDMATE> HIS NIPPLES ARE TOO PUFFY FOR ANY MAN TO EVER LOVE HIM AND I'LL SAVE EVERYONE."

Everyone died. And all because they didn't want to hurt someone's feelings.

Then they kicked me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meme
Oct 7, 2009

You are welcome.
My friend reminded me of another dumb thing we did on FFXI. When the Abyssea expansions hit and made higher level alternate universe versions of existing zones, along with that came really powerful buffs you could get off monsters, as well as rarer loot. One way of farming items to pop the bigger bosses was called a "Cleave" where a warrior (or anyone with a powerful AoE and good defense) would aggro a bunch of mobs and kill them en masse with massively buffed weapon skills. To make it work you needed a warrior with a bunch of expensive gear that reduced the % of damage you took and a healer, just in case. However, a side product of killing hundreds of mobs every hour was a huge amount of XP, and the low-effort nature of it meant that you could sell places in your cleave at a premium, as people would pay millions to be allowed to AFK and get 100k xp/hr.

Not everyone could afford the exorbitant prices we charged, however, and eventually, to liven up the cleaves we would accept a lowbie in, the more incompetent and young the better, and get him to sing to us on teamspeak or to write us poetry in game or shout embarrassing things to the zone at large to keep his place. People were so happy to be invited to a cleave free of charge that the number of people who would give in to our stupid demands was not as low as it would be amongst a normal playerbase in a normal game. Not to mention, of course, charging someone a million gil for a place and then kicking them when they go AFK and other low-grade jerkass moves of that kind.

I thought it was a nice light hearted grief after you guys got so upset with my tale of ripping off the RMT guy. I suppose if you played FFXI and understood the sort of implicit resentment of people who bought accounts, gil or hacks that was part of the game culture it would be less shocking that we're ok with scamming a guy out of real money.

I have a great story about two particular wastes of humanity named Stigmar and Menerva, but that needs a proper write up, there is a lot of really stupid things to talk about with those guys. If you like bad final fantasy XI fanfiction though, they have you covered! http://de-rieste-emporium.us/

• Locked thread