Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Maybe just got the tubes tied?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things
Cat vasectomy?

And I did not know either of those were actual things

http://www.petmd.com/blogs/fullyvetted/2010/april/ligations_vasectomies#.UTlEihy0LTo

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS
Not "neutered" if he had a vasectomy. But on the other hand that would definitely explain why he's impossible to keep indoors if he's vasectomized instead.

I assumed that like Shnooks said he still just has the scrotum, but unless he was literally just neutered a week ago and still has some swelling you can definitely tell an empty scrotum from one with testes in it.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Can confirm that cat balls are still a thing even in neutered cats, since it seems the popular method now is to go in, scoop 'em out, and glue the sack back shut. Theodore still has his scrotum and I honestly can't tell the difference between him and an intact cat, though they have shrunk a little bit from how big they were when I first got him two days after his being neutered.

Never thought I'd type this many words about cat balls.

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005
That's always been how cats were neutered....and there is a big difference between having a scrotum, and having testicles. What people are talking about here is doing a vasectomy, where the animal still has the testicles, but the tubes don't go anywhere. I cannot imagine why someone would do that to a cat, as neutering tomcats is as much for behavioral reasons as for population control and leaving the balls in there to produce hormones is going to cause all the same behaviors.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Topoisomerase posted:

Not "neutered" if he had a vasectomy. But on the other hand that would definitely explain why he's impossible to keep indoors if he's vasectomized instead.

I assumed that like Shnooks said he still just has the scrotum, but unless he was literally just neutered a week ago and still has some swelling you can definitely tell an empty scrotum from one with testes in it.

With respect, you & Chaco probably have better ball-distinguishing skills than the rest of us non-professionals. Unless you see intact tomcats semi-regularly, an empty scrotum looks enough like any other scrotum that it might as well be full. Most people probably say balls when they mean scrotum, too, rather than testicles as such. I expect that is what Bobula meant.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
Can't you tell by behavior much more easily than visually? Yowling, spraying, really wanting to go outside and get in fights.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Weinertron posted:

Can't you tell by behavior much more easily than visually? Yowling, spraying, really wanting to go outside and get in fights.

The problem with that is that not all intact cats exhibit those behaviors, and not all cats that exhibit those behaviors are intact. :) Intact males or males that were neutered late in life can have huge big jowly faces, but that doesn't tell you much about the cat's current status.

And the poster's point was that someone wouldn't be able to tell the cat was neutered. Perhaps people who aren't in the vet field or the shelter field wouldn't think to feel up a scrote and see if there are testicles in it, but the lady the poster was talking about sounds like she is involved with TNR/rescue and probably is a little better at discerning whether a cat is neutered or not.

That being said she still could be wrong and she still could be lying (or the cat could actually be vasectomized lol) and I totally agree that the poster should try to pursue getting the cat scanned however they can.

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello
Thanks for the advice, on ball-detection and otherwise. My sister is dealing with the lady down the street, who is in turn calling the cat-taking lady (because she won't give my sister her number) and hasn't been able to set up a meeting yet. I'm probably going to go down there to talk to her myself. All we need is to see it! But then apparently she has a whole lot of cats and who knows if she'll even bring the right one :(

Maybe his balls are gone, because he doesn't spray or yowl or act like an intact tom. He just likes being his own boss in regards to indoors or outdoors. Our female cat is the same.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

bobula posted:

My sister is dealing with the lady down the street, who is in turn calling the cat-taking lady (because she won't give my sister her number) and hasn't been able to set up a meeting yet. I'm probably going to go down there to talk to her myself. All we need is to see it! But then apparently she has a whole lot of cats and who knows if she'll even bring the right one :(
This sounds worse and worse. Call the cops?

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
My white cat's left eye has been watering recently. She is around 6 and has had this on and off before. Last time we took her to the vet she said it was just a thing that white cats were susceptible too. It doesn't seem to bother her but the wife is getting worried.

My uncle suggested a used, cold tea bag on the eye and it has worked to some success.

Are there any other suggestions?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

I'm at work being sent phone pictures from a terrified girlfriend because one of our cats has bloody diarrhea. This guy has been living inside with us for about a month, and 6 days ago saw a vet for the first time and got rabies, feline distemper, and feline leukemia vaccines. Vet estimated he was 3 years old, and he's shown no signs of any health problems at all so far. Previous poops have been very normal.

:nms:Bloody cat poop picture. Does this look like something that needs an emergency vet visit, or should we just keep an eye on him and if it happens again seek medical care? His appetite doesn't seem excessively high or low for a cat of his size.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS
Did they deworm him too?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

He wasn't dewormed, it was my understanding that deworming isn't usually done on adult cats unless there is evidence of infestation. When we took them to the vet last weekend this one had never had diarrhea and the other one had rarely had diarrhea. I'm slapping myself now because I bet that the younger one has worms, and now both of them have worms because of sharing a litterbox.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Weinertron posted:

He wasn't dewormed, it was my understanding that deworming isn't usually done on adult cats unless there is evidence of infestation. When we took them to the vet last weekend this one had never had diarrhea and the other one had rarely had diarrhea. I'm slapping myself now because I bet that the younger one has worms, and now both of them have worms because of sharing a litterbox.

Nah I wouldn't worry too much about that in this cat after one episode of diarrhea. That barely even looks like blood, if it's possible that he got into something red/orange that's another consideration. If he's acting okay/eating/drinking normally I'd probably personally take a wait and see approach but it wouldn't be wrong for you to call your vet with the concern at all.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
I brought one cat (Ms. Fluffster) outside for less than 10 minutes - as part of her leash and harness training - and then back inside. After being inside for a few minutes, the other cat got Weird. She started hissing and doing that "MRWOOWWW" thing that angry cats do at Ms. Fluffster. The Fluffinator was confused and started hissing back for a bit, but circled the cautious other cat and gave exploratory sniffs as the other, always-inside cat gave her angry looks. What the heck? Has the smell of Ms. Fluffster really changed enough to give Ms. Inside-Cat the conniptions? This poo poo is ridiculous. It was my idea to bring Ms. Fluffster outside, and my girlfriend is really mad since both cats are hers, and she says I ruined their friendship. Help!

About 10 minutes later the hissing has stopped but they are still having an angry stare-off. How do I prevent this from happening? I'd really like to be able to take Ms. Fluffster out for walks regularly, and eventually the other cat (if I can EVER get her used to the harness), and I'd rather not worry my super-w0rrier girlfriend about her goddamn cats.

(honestly I'd rather have a dog, and in the interest of this I've taught Ms. Fluffster to fetch and heel, but the anger of the other cat is ruining my attempts to turn this fluffy cat into a dog and ruining the domestic peace of the household and i need help)

Darth Windu fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Mar 9, 2013

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Darth Windu posted:

I brought one cat (Ms. Fluffster) outside for less than 10 minutes - as part of her leash and harness training - and then back inside. After being inside for a few minutes, the other cat got Weird. She started hissing and doing that "MRWOOWWW" thing that angry cats do at Ms. Fluffster. The Fluffinator was confused and started hissing back for a bit, but circled the cautious other cat and gave exploratory sniffs as the other, always-inside cat gave her angry looks. What the heck? Has the smell of Ms. Fluffster really changed enough to give Ms. Inside-Cat the conniptions? This poo poo is ridiculous. It was my idea to bring Ms. Fluffster outside, and my girlfriend is really mad since both cats are hers, and she says I ruined their friendship. Help!

About 10 minutes later the hissing has stopped but they are still having an angry stare-off. How do I prevent this from happening? I'd really like to be able to take Ms. Fluffster out for walks regularly, and eventually the other cat (if I can EVER get her used to the harness), and I'd rather not worry my super-w0rrier girlfriend about her goddamn cats.

(honestly I'd rather have a dog, and in the interest of this I've taught Ms. Fluffster to fetch and heel, but the anger of the other cat is ruining my attempts to turn this fluffy cat into a dog and ruining the domestic peace of the household and i need help)

Do other animals live around where you live? If so there's a chance it isnt that she smells like outside, but she smells like another animal. Probably another cat.

I guess you could try rubbing a towel on inside-cat then rubbing it on fluffster. Basically it'll fade eventually, but you'll have to take that into consideration when you take your cat for a walk. :confused:)

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS
When I take Yeti out on his harness and he comes back, he always thoroughly grooms himself as soon as we get in and then stretches out on the floor while the other boy cat sniffs and glares at him and the girl cat rubs all over him. Cats are weird. If the other cat isn't getting over it, you could try wiping the recently-outdoors cat down with a pet wipe or moist towel or something when you get back in but cats are much more sensitive to smells than we are so it may or may not help.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.
Grumples and Hat have pretty much destroyed the corners of my sofa by using them as a scratching post. What can I do to stop them causing further damage? Do any of the sprays work or am I stuck taping foil over the things and having a horrible-looking sofa?

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

marshmallard posted:

Grumples and Hat have pretty much destroyed the corners of my sofa by using them as a scratching post. What can I do to stop them causing further damage? Do any of the sprays work or am I stuck taping foil over the things and having a horrible-looking sofa?

Try double stick tape yet?

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

duckfarts posted:

Try double stick tape yet?

Yeah, it got covered in cat hair so wasn't sticky for long, and it didn't put Grumples off at all. Also Hat tried to eat it.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

I use the Nature's Miracles pet block with citrus and cinnamon oil in it and it definitely seems to work as a deterrent. It also smells lovely.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

marshmallard posted:

Do they have other scratching posts/surfaces that they like near the couch? My cats used to scratch my couch until I bought them plenty of other alternatives for them to use. I introduced them by sprinkling dried catnip on them. They haven't touched my couch since. The cheapo $30.00 sisal ones from PetCo are their favorites, but I'm sure every cat is different.

In my case, double-sided tape, products designed to keep them away, etc. all did nothing. But giving them better alternatives fixed it for good.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Do they have other scratching posts/surfaces that they like near the couch? My cats used to scratch my couch until I bought them plenty of other alternatives for them to use. I introduced them by sprinkling dried catnip on them. They haven't touched my couch since. The cheapo $30.00 sisal ones from PetCo are their favorites, but I'm sure every cat is different.

In my case, double-sided tape, products designed to keep them away, etc. all did nothing. But giving them better alternatives fixed it for good.

Forgot about this; best approach is to use both deterrents and a sufficient number of convenient alternatives.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

marshmallard posted:

Put them in a box and mail them to me. In exchange, I will send you my clawless cat. Your furniture will be safe.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
Hmm I'm going to need to try this too...we don't have quite as many cat deterrent products here but Decoy and Hugo have both done a serious number on the corner of our new couch. At the moment we've got a quilt draped over the edge of arm, but sometimes they pull it off. They've got a million horizontal scratch pads to use, so many we need to add a bit of variety.

Also I think Decoy might be crate training himself. I left their carrier out the other evening and Decoy has taken to sleeping in it overnight. He was even pulling the cage door shut with his paw once he was inside, except I took the door off and put his green towel in there for him to lie on and now it is apparently the best cat bed ever. I am finding it weird owning cats that are not only happy to be caged, but actively seek out their cage to nest in.

Tamarillo fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Mar 10, 2013

Trillian
Sep 14, 2003

Claw caps like Softpaws are another option. My couch scratcher dedicated her life to chewing them off, so it didn't really work for me, but I know other people who say they work well.

I tried clicker training my cats after seeing Trophy the internet superstar, so when I got a new couch I tried clicker training them to use the scratching post. This seems to have worked, at least to redirect their attention to another spot, and my couch is unscathed.

Robo Kitty
Sep 5, 2011

There was a POST here. It's gone now.

Tamarillo posted:

Hmm I'm going to need to try this too...we don't have quite as many cat deterrent products here but Decoy and Hugo have both done a serious number on the corner of our new couch. At the moment we've got a quilt draped over the edge of arm, but sometimes they pull it off. They've got a million horizontal scratch pads to use, so many we need to add a bit of variety.

Also I think Decoy might be crate training himself. I left their carrier out the other evening and Decoy has taken to sleeping in it overnight. He was even pulling the cage door shut with his paw once he was inside, except I took the door off and put his green towel in there for him to lie on and now it is apparently the best cat bed ever. I am finding it weird owning cats that are not only happy to be caged, but actively seek out their cage to nest in.

You should post some new pictures in their thread, I'd love to see how your boys have grown up. :3:

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Tamarillo posted:

Mine fight over who gets to go in the carrier if I leave it out. It does come in handy when you have to take them places!

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009

Robo Kitty posted:

You should post some new pictures in their thread, I'd love to see how your boys have grown up. :3:

I don't have archives, so I can't find it anymore unfortunately. However, I can do a quick photo spam a la lovely iPhone here. They're both a year old now, Decoy's 4.8kg/10.5lb and Hugo's 4.6kg/10lb. May they continue to grow as big as (slim, healthy) houses.

Comparing 31 May 2012:

With March 2013:

And photos from five minutes ago because OMG CATS GET IN MY CAMERA

And one of Decoy and my husband's computer chair, which he is systematically destroying:

Edit: \/\/ what kind/brand of food do you feed them?

Tamarillo fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Mar 10, 2013

Robot Mil
Apr 13, 2011

I'm looking for some advice/tips on cat 'dieting'. We have two cats, one being slender and small and an appropriate weight (Hector), the other being a giant greedy fluff-fest (Pedro). Our vet says that he needs to get down from ~6kg to ~4.5kg. Any advice on how to go about reducing the amount our fluff-monster eats while making sure the other cat has enough food?? At the moment we put dry food down in the morning (equivalent to a bit less than what 2 normal, healthy adult cats should eat per day according to the pack) and they each get one pouch of wet food in the afternoon/evening when we get back from work. Pedro is the cat always nagging us for food, and he'll usually go to town when we put it down, although they'll both mostly eat at the same time. He does sometimes try and bully Hector away from the food. I'm just really not sure the best way to go about this, whether we should be aiming to get Pedro eating less somehow, or switching him to lighter food (while somehow making sure he doesn't eat Hector's food...)

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Yep :/ they have a huuuuuge vertical scratching post less than a metre from the sofa, and a horizontal cardboard one too. They both use both of these frequently - it's just that they also shred the sofa.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

Robot Mil posted:

I'm looking for some advice/tips on cat 'dieting'. We have two cats, one being slender and small and an appropriate weight (Hector), the other being a giant greedy fluff-fest (Pedro). Our vet says that he needs to get down from ~6kg to ~4.5kg. Any advice on how to go about reducing the amount our fluff-monster eats while making sure the other cat has enough food?? At the moment we put dry food down in the morning (equivalent to a bit less than what 2 normal, healthy adult cats should eat per day according to the pack) and they each get one pouch of wet food in the afternoon/evening when we get back from work. Pedro is the cat always nagging us for food, and he'll usually go to town when we put it down, although they'll both mostly eat at the same time. He does sometimes try and bully Hector away from the food. I'm just really not sure the best way to go about this, whether we should be aiming to get Pedro eating less somehow, or switching him to lighter food (while somehow making sure he doesn't eat Hector's food...)

My house is like this. Ozma is slim and Pete is a hog. Can't seem get him to lose weight despite best efforts, but we feed Ozma in a separate rooms so he leaves her bowl alone.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

I cannot take my cat to vet at the moment but I am planning to today, I have a question about the blockage in a cat. My cat cannot pee, I am taking him to the vet, and I am curious what might cause this. I have read a few things about it (from doctor google) and it all contradicts each other. What might the doc do to him? Will I need to leave him there over night? I am Australian, and I am curious what the cost might be.

EDIT: is there anyway to stop this from happening in the future. I need to know now so I can ease my mind and try to get some sleep.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Spudd posted:

I cannot take my cat to vet at the moment but I am planning to today, I have a question about the blockage in a cat. My cat cannot pee, I am taking him to the vet, and I am curious what might cause this. I have read a few things about it (from doctor google) and it all contradicts each other. What might the doc do to him? Will I need to leave him there over night? I am Australian, and I am curious what the cost might be.

EDIT: is there anyway to stop this from happening in the future. I need to know now so I can ease my mind and try to get some sleep.

Every moment that you wait makes it more likely that things will get worse. No matter what the cause is (in a previously healthy young male cat it's most likely to be a mucus plug from FIC but it could also be stones, a tumor, a neurologic problem, etc) every moment you delay treatment makes it more likely that he will need more intensive care and that it will cost more and carry a worse prognosis. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but as some other posters in this thread can attest, a urinary blockage is for sure bad news. How long has it been since he last peed, even a little bit?

edit: the vet's priorities will be making sure his bladder hasn't ruptured and his kidneys aren't failing (these are both very common complications of urinary tract blockage) and also of course to relieve whatever the blockage is, usually by attempting to pass a urinary catheter. Depending on the facility they could also do a quick abdominal ultrasound scan to see if there are any obvious stones in the bladder as they might want to take a different approach to that.

Topoisomerase fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Mar 10, 2013

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Topoisomerase posted:

Every moment that you wait makes it more likely that things will get worse. No matter what the cause is (in a previously healthy young male cat it's most likely to be a mucus plug from FIC but it could also be stones, a tumor, a neurologic problem, etc) every moment you delay treatment makes it more likely that he will need more intensive care and that it will cost more and carry a worse prognosis. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but as some other posters in this thread can attest, a urinary blockage is for sure bad news.

It's 1am in the morning and I have no way to transport him so unfortunately I have to wait.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS
That's a really tough situation, sorry. When was the last time you saw him pee?

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Topoisomerase posted:

That's a really tough situation, sorry. When was the last time you saw him pee?

Saturday late evening around 11pm-12am, he was peeing like a champ, I checked his litter and it seemed he did use it Sunday morning sometime. This only started to happen at about 4-5pm Sunday. I thought he was just a bit constipated because when he did do a poop it was ginormous so I thought he was fine after. Only after that did I notice he was stopping to try to pee where he was standing every few steps and meowing loudly in pain.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS
Depending on what's causing it, there usually are ways to try to reduce the chance that it will re-occur in the future, though once a cat blocks once it should always be considered to be more susceptible to blocking again and it will require you to make some changes in how you take care of him currently. But the most pressing concern is getting through the current episode without complications. I hope that he does okay until you can get him to a vet. I'd go as soon as realistically possible - if it were me I'd be calling in favors from anyone I possibly could.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Topoisomerase posted:

Depending on what's causing it, there usually are ways to try to reduce the chance that it will re-occur in the future, though once a cat blocks once it should always be considered to be more susceptible to blocking again and it will require you to make some changes in how you take care of him currently. But the most pressing concern is getting through the current episode without complications. I hope that he does okay until you can get him to a vet. I'd go as soon as realistically possible - if it were me I'd be calling in favors from anyone I possibly could.

Thank you, I am just so tired and depressed. I don't think I'll be able to sleep. At least now I know a little about it... I feel so useless.