Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE posted:

Is there an official name for that crossroads that's in a whole lot of movies? It seems like it's in the middle of nowhere. I know for a fact it's in The Muppet Movie, Castaway, and was made to look like dirt roads in O Brother Where Art Thou.

A place where two roads intersect, in the country somewhere? Is there a distinctive sign or something that makes you think those are the same intersection?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Crossroads are a metaphor, man. :okpos:

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE
Dec 28, 2000

ASK ME HOW TO GET FREE BEER!
(THE ANSWER IS "CHEATING GOONS OUT OF IT")
According to IMDB, the crossroads in Cast Away is "Farm to Market Roads 48 and 1268, Mobeetie, Texas, USA" but I can't find reference to that anywhere else, and apparently the large majority of O Brother Where Art Thou was shot in Mississippi.

As to why I think they are the same throughout the different movies is because it's always shot exactly the same way and the background, signage, etc always looks exactly the same. But I suppose that could just be a coincidence.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Crossroads have a whole bundle of symbolic significance dating back to the middle ages at least. Like there's all those stories of people meeting the Devil at one for example.

Jeff Wiiver
Jul 13, 2007

PriorMarcus posted:

No, not at all.
Much obliged. :tipshat: I've been meaning to grab it from Netflix but the idea of having to watch a 4-hour silent film first was preventing me.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Is there a literal crossroads in the Britney Spears vehicle Crossroads?

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

I feel like that's a trope that goes way beyond movies, at least to the real life story of Robert Johnson (the real life version of the dude from O Brother).

The character in O Brother is Tommy Johnson, who was the original "sold his soul to the devil" guy. The story didn't begin to get associated with Robert Johnson until years after their deaths.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Oooooooh yeah, I got my bluesmen mixed up.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Toebone posted:

The character in O Brother is Tommy Johnson, who was the original "sold his soul to the devil" guy. The story didn't begin to get associated with Robert Johnson until years after their deaths.

I actually had no idea the 'sold his soul' story started with Tommy Johnson. It seems odd that it then gets attributed to Robert Johnson and goes on to become one of the most popular folk tales.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

I've watched The Dark Knight a couple times, but it was at bedtime and I may have dozed a bit and missed a few things. When the Joker gave the detonaters to the two boats, I thought for sure that the twist would be that they were set up to blow up their own ships. Did they ever reveal if that was the case?

This may be more of a historical question than a movie question, but in Black Hawk Down what was the reason they didn't bring in the little birds to provide protection to Mike Durant and the two snipers that were guarding him at the Super Six Four crash site?

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Jeff Wiiver posted:

Much obliged. :tipshat: I've been meaning to grab it from Netflix but the idea of having to watch a 4-hour silent film first was preventing me.
It's a great 4 hour silent film, though. And rather briskly paced for a 4 hour silent film too.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

SkunkDuster posted:

I've watched The Dark Knight a couple times, but it was at bedtime and I may have dozed a bit and missed a few things. When the Joker gave the detonaters to the two boats, I thought for sure that the twist would be that they were set up to blow up their own ships. Did they ever reveal if that was the case?

I'm not 100% sure on this but I think that both detonators were were set to blow up both ships, as was the third detonator that the Joker had himself.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
What the detonators would have done is never revealed because they're never used. It could be that they did exactly what the Joker said they would do, it could be he was being tricky, but it doesn't really matter in the end because his plan failed to work out like he wanted it to, so he wasn't able to make the point he wanted to amke.

SaintFu
Aug 27, 2006

Where's your god now?

DrVenkman posted:

I actually had no idea the 'sold his soul' story started with Tommy Johnson. It seems odd that it then gets attributed to Robert Johnson and goes on to become one of the most popular folk tales.

The whole thing is down to an interview Sonny Boy Williamson (I think) did with with Rolling Stone where he misattributed the story to Robert Johnson, and it took off from there. I used to have an article on the history of the thing, but I've misplaced it.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

axleblaze posted:

What the detonators would have done is never revealed because they're never used. It could be that they did exactly what the Joker said they would do, it could be he was being tricky, but it doesn't really matter in the end because his plan failed to work out like he wanted it to, so he wasn't able to make the point he wanted to amke.

Actually the whole point of the boat thing was to distract from what Dent was up to.

Batman : This city just showed you...that it's full of people ready to believe in good.

Joker : Until their spirit breaks completely. Until they get a good look at the real Harvey Dent...and all the heroic things he's done. You didn't think I'd risk losing the battle for Gotham's soul...in a fistfight with you? No. You need an ace in the hole. Mine's Harvey.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

Power of Pecota posted:

Yesterday I saw A Zed and Two Noughts, and as dumb as the question sounds, what was going on with the guy dressed in all black and the woman dressed in all red? Outside of them being involved with the Zoo, I have no idea what they were doing or why they were doing it, and every summary/analysis thing I'm reading online just ignores them.

Isn't it a reference to Vermeer, or something? It normally is with Greenaway.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Power of Pecota posted:

Yesterday I saw A Zed and Two Noughts, and as dumb as the question sounds, what was going on with the guy dressed in all black and the woman dressed in all red? Outside of them being involved with the Zoo, I have no idea what they were doing or why they were doing it, and every summary/analysis thing I'm reading online just ignores them.

If you can, listen to the commentary track (assuming you watched it on disc), Greenaway is insanely meticulous and has a reason for absolutely everything and he describes it all with textbook-like detail.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Can anyone think of any invisible man movies between Abbott & Costello Meet the Invisible Man in 1951 and The Amazing Transparent Man in 1960?

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

SkunkDuster posted:

This may be more of a historical question than a movie question, but in Black Hawk Down what was the reason they didn't bring in the little birds to provide protection to Mike Durant and the two snipers that were guarding him at the Super Six Four crash site?
This is a guess based on the movie alone, but the mob at the second crash site was, for the most part, unarmed civilians just checking things out. Maybe hostile, but unarmed. The US wouldn't want the bad press that comes along with that kind of indescriminate slaughter.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

penismightier posted:

Can anyone think of any invisible man movies between Abbott & Costello Meet the Invisible Man in 1951 and The Amazing Transparent Man in 1960?

http://www.allmovie.com/characteristic/theme/invisible-people-d1541

There's a few listed on the all movie link that fall in between, such as The Invisible Boy. I now need to track down the Invisible Mon movies.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

CopywrightMMXI posted:

http://www.allmovie.com/characteristic/theme/invisible-people-d1541

There's a few listed on the all movie link that fall in between, such as The Invisible Boy. I now need to track down the Invisible Mon movies.

Ooh geez I forgot about The Invisible Boy, what a piece of poo poo that one was.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

penismightier posted:

Ooh geez I forgot about The Invisible Boy, what a piece of poo poo that one was.

Are you kidding? Robby the Robot helps save the entire world.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Alright, this has been driving me crazy for a while. I need to know the title for a movie I saw a trailer for and missed out on seeing a while back.

It's done in a fake documentary style. It may be set in the 70's, but it was definitely shot on Super 8mmm and was a recent flick (within last decade or so). It has to do with some moon cult that says the leader can teleport to the moon. I think it starts out with the main character being an investigative journalist, that gets in over their head. This also a bit about a government cover-up with secret agents tracking the "documentarian."

Any thoughts? I know it's not Dark Side of the Moon which has been the only hit I've been getting for "moon documentary fake" on Google. While, that and people being serious about no one landing on the moon.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

BirdOfPlay posted:

Alright, this has been driving me crazy for a while. I need to know the title for a movie I saw a trailer for and missed out on seeing a while back.

It's done in a fake documentary style. It may be set in the 70's, but it was definitely shot on Super 8mmm and was a recent flick (within last decade or so). It has to do with some moon cult that says the leader can teleport to the moon. I think it starts out with the main character being an investigative journalist, that gets in over their head. This also a bit about a government cover-up with secret agents tracking the "documentarian."

Any thoughts? I know it's not Dark Side of the Moon which has been the only hit I've been getting for "moon documentary fake" on Google. While, that and people being serious about no one landing on the moon.

Sounds a bit like Alternative 3.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

I know this is a Weird Al song, but hearing this today reminded me of a question that has bugged me ever since I learned of the Wilhelm Scream and Yeaaarrrrrghh (Ahh Real Monsters).

http://youtu.be/gh4zvQfDhi0?t=2m12s

Is there a name for this scream? I remember it being the death scream if you fall off a cliff in Twisted Metal 2 for PSX (I think). Does it appear elsewhere?

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Hockles posted:

Yeaaarrrrrghh (Ahh Real Monsters).

I'm 99% sure I remember seeing a clip with this from an older movie in like the '80s where a guy falls out of a window during a bar fight. It'll always be the "falling off a ledge in Dark Forces" scream to me, though.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
I can't watch youtube, but I'm guessing that's the one used in Broken Arrow when the guy is kicked off a train, and if so its name actually is something like "Guy falling off a cliff screaming".

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

effectual posted:

I can't watch youtube, but I'm guessing that's the one used in Broken Arrow when the guy is kicked off a train, and if so its name actually is something like "Guy falling off a cliff screaming".

Yeah, that's the one I was talking about. Ahh! Real Monsters S1 was 1994, Dark Forces was 1995, and Broken Arrow was 1996 - I'm pretty sure the one from 1:45-1:50 on this video is the origin, the description says it's Beethoven's Second (1993) but that doesn't seem right.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_818rcC0DA

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
What's the etymology of the word video? I know film is the actual strip of moving pictures that a film is on, and movie comes from moving picture, but where does the word video come from?

Chrtrptnt
Aug 18, 2008

quote:

Is there a name for this scream? I remember it being the death scream if you fall off a cliff in Twisted Metal 2 for PSX (I think). Does it appear elsewhere?

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/StockScream

Here is more than anyone needs to know about stock scream sounds. The one you're asking about is listed as "Howie Long scream" while being properly labeled as "Gut Wrenching With Fall."

^^^video is Latin for "I see", similar to audio which is from the Latin audire meaning hear.

Chrtrptnt fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Mar 11, 2013

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Skwirl posted:

What's the etymology of the word video? I know film is the actual strip of moving pictures that a film is on, and movie comes from moving picture, but where does the word video come from?

Videre: Latin for "to see" or "to look at".

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

BirdOfPlay posted:

I bet it's Lunopolis.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

I don't mean to be a jerk, but the Youaarrrgh/Howie Long/Gut Wrenching isn't the scream that I had posted. While clicking on the link itself, it didn't properly go to the part of the song I had intended.

Skip to 2:13 for the yell.

That scream is the one that I am wondering about.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

fenix down posted:

I bet it's Lunopolis.

And you're right! I didn't even have to get 5 secs into the trailer to recognize it, and it's even on Netflix to boot. Thanks kemo sabe!

Here's the trailer for those intrigued. There's also this one but I feel like it's the weaker of the two.

penismightier posted:

Sounds a bit like Alternative 3.

The Wiki article on this sounds interesting.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

SkunkDuster posted:

He went into this a bit in the book. Basically, there wasnt a whole lot they could have done. The alleyway was too narrow for fly by attacks, and they didn't know how many other rpg's there could have been out there. They were not rquipped for air to ground combat, they were loaded as lightly as possible so they could stay in the air for the as long as they could. Even if they had a little bit of munitions, it would have only been enough for a strafe run or two. They had already shot down 2the blackhawks, they couldnt't risk losing anymore choppers. Plus, the little bird was there only mode of surveillance, if they had lost that they would have completely lost any tactical knowledge, and it most likely would have resulted in a complete slaughter of the American forces. The generals would have been completely blind, had no real knowlwgde where anyone was or what their situation was.

Your Gay Uncle fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Mar 12, 2013

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
The Little Birds were used for close fire support. They used a special blackhawk flying much higher so as to be immune from ground attack for surveillance and command. Also I believe there was even a spy plane circling around very very high up. The answer is that the little birds were being used elsewhere, they made it clear to Randy and Gary before they went in that there would be no support for a while.

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Mar 12, 2013

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I think I understand the concept pretty well of what a "genre film" is but not the antithesis so much. I looked up examples of "films that defy genre" etc. but even the ones listed seem like they could fit somewhat comfortably into a classification of something or another.

Are there any films that defy genre completely or can all films be placed into some category? If not, what are the attributes and characteristics that place a film on the farthest outskirts of all established genres?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Repo Man doesn't fit into a genre.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
I'm not sure where I'd put "Daisies" 1966.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Jubilee (1978) is one I don't think compartmentalizes very neatly.