Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alkanos
Jul 20, 2009

Ia! Ia! Cthulhu Fht-YAWN

SpazmasterX posted:

Yes, only the leader can use unique arts. So your best leaders include Rush, David, and Emmy just because of their unique arts and summons. Irina does have a unique art, but it's physical and she isn't.
Irina's unique art is a little bit different than most, which gives it some slightly exploity uses. Instead of requiring high morale to get the command to use it, it only pops up when you have low HP. Combine this with the fact that unique arts commands make the union near invincible til the art goes off. So as long as the unique art goes off after the enemy attacks, you can keep that union at low HP indefinitely. If you have the AP to back it up you can use the art every turn, making it great to use against some large enemies. Irina's union keeps the big guy deadlocked while the other unions break off to heal. And it deals decent if not great damage along with the protection, so it's not just a stopgap.

I used this against (pain in the rear end sidequest spoiler) The Fallen with a second union dedicated to healing. Turn started with all unions low on life, select Omnistrike for Irina's union and Heal the Others for the second union. Fallen, being super-fast, attacks first off, and whiffs against her union. Omnistrike goes off and then the healer union brings everyone back to full life just in time for the fallen to blast everyone back to low life. This is super luck based though, sometimes The Fallen will switch to another union and screw everything up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I've been considering reinstalling Might and Magic VII, but I think I've just played through it too many times at this point. Anybody have a good recommendation for a game like the M&M series? I'm not too concerned about graphics or anything, though preferably nothing worse than M&M VII

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Conquistador posted:

I've been considering reinstalling Might and Magic VII, but I think I've just played through it too many times at this point. Anybody have a good recommendation for a game like the M&M series? I'm not too concerned about graphics or anything, though preferably nothing worse than M&M VII

Played Wizardry 8 already? It's pretty similar to M&M7 actually, though there is unfortunately no real-time combat option.

If you don't mind something a little more Dungeon Mastery, there's Legend of Grimrock, though I'm guessing that's probably a little out of the range of what you're looking for.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Preemptively calling Pandora's Tower "great" might be a mistake.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Calling any game great before it comes out its pretty odd. Oh yes, I have been told to believe that AAA title will be good, because so many people are talking about it and saying that it is going to be good, which they could not do if that was not true.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Played Wizardry 8 already? It's pretty similar to M&M7 actually, though there is unfortunately no real-time combat option.

If you don't mind something a little more Dungeon Mastery, there's Legend of Grimrock, though I'm guessing that's probably a little out of the range of what you're looking for.

I hadn't, but that is pretty damned close to what I'm looking for, great suggestion thank you.

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

GulagDolls posted:

Calling any game great before it comes out its pretty odd. Oh yes, I have been told to believe that AAA title will be good, because so many people are talking about it and saying that it is going to be good, which they could not do if that was not true.

The game's been out in EU for a while now and it is indeed not that great. Not completely terrible or anything, but the kind of mediocre hack n' slash that's hard to give a much of a drat about either way.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

So now that I own a PS3 I'm looking at more JRPGs/SRPGs since there seems to be MUCH more support for those genres on PS3 as opposed to 360. I've always been a fan of NIS stuff, can anyone comment on which ones I should go for first?

Also can I get some opinions on the Atelier series, Cross Edge, and Trinity Universe?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Dross posted:

So now that I own a PS3 I'm looking at more JRPGs/SRPGs since there seems to be MUCH more support for those genres on PS3 as opposed to 360. I've always been a fan of NIS stuff, can anyone comment on which ones I should go for first?

Also can I get some opinions on the Atelier series, Cross Edge, and Trinity Universe?

Cross Edge and Trinity Universe are bad, the Atelier games sans Rorona are good. Anyway, good JRPGS/SRPGs:

Disgaea 3/4 (since you like NIS stuff, 4 is better)
Valkyria Chronicles
Tales of Graces
Nier
Resonance of Fate
Ni no Kuni

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

I own Nier and ROF on X360, almost done with ROF. Its battle system was great fun for the first eight chapters or so but now it's getting monotonous. Fortunately I'm finally starting to understand what the hell is going on with the story.

Unsmart
Oct 6, 2006

Troffen posted:

The game's been out in EU for a while now and it is indeed not that great. Not completely terrible or anything, but the kind of mediocre hack n' slash that's hard to give a much of a drat about either way.

I thought it was pretty great, at least. The chain is actually pretty cool from a gameplay perspective and I liked the story. The tower puzzles generally aren't very difficult but at least interesting and I also enjoyed the boss fights. The bosses from the second set of towers are way better though. It's definitely true that there isn't a ton of depth to the killing monsters part unless you just gently caress around with the chain a lot... which is probably the best part. I definitely wouldn't describe it as a hack n slash either but I dunno.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I've decided that the proper answer to my much earlier question about "should I split or sell unique monsters" is "always sell". You can get the components from the normal versions, but uniques sell for a ton more money than normal monsters.

Eh, maybe. Really you should look up these monsters because almost all of the non-respawnable uniques have a 5% split into a very rare component. So I'd suggest you check and see if it's in the table or not + what it is used for then decide. Most likely you'll be fine just selling them but on the off chance you end up needing one of these you're going to be kicking yourself. And I just can't imagine you ever running out of money.

Unsmart fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Mar 8, 2013

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

You weren't kidding about Rogue Galaxy towards the end overstaying its welcome. I just finished the Labyrinth and the last three dungeons felt like they made them intentionally long to pad some game time. Mix this with the horribly implemented xp scaling, and the fact the levels themselves look very cut/paste with minor color changes and you've got a recipe for my favorite saying "I really don't loving care!" as I'm escaping from pretty much every fight because past the first few new fights fights because I no longer get xp (1-10 xp is meaningless when you have 20k to level up).

Add to that I have a few minor issues, such as having to set up power cords individually in the factory, the fact it doesn't have better controls (having to go into a menu to change operating types is not cool), placing materials should auto lockon to the materials tables only, the fact there simply isn't enough bagspace for everything, especially if you carry around mats with you so you don't have to dig into storage for that 1 item you need to increase the skills of your character, how you don't get to choose your characters till like chapter 5 of 13 resulting in you having like 8 characters 3 of which you only ever really use. Or how about enemies chain knocking you down for hundreds of damage a hit? That's a thing. Oh you got hit twice, well I hope you have revives! Nevermind if it's an AI that keeps doing stupid things and you can't do anything about it.

I'm not done yet, but ugh.

Joshlemagne
Mar 6, 2013

Conquistador posted:

I hadn't, but that is pretty damned close to what I'm looking for, great suggestion thank you.

I don't know how close to M&M you need a game to be but there are actually a lot of dungeon crawlers around if you know where to look. There's a new Wizardry on the ps3 that just came out a bit ago. The psp also has Elminage Original and Class of Heroes. The ds has The Dark Spire and the Etrian Odyssey games. They all have varying levels of ~anime~ since the genre has somehow managed to survive and thrive in Japan so that's where most of the games come from these days. But if you just want to toss a party together and kill monsters in a maze there are a lot of options these days.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

You weren't kidding about Rogue Galaxy towards the end overstaying its welcome. I just finished the Labyrinth and the last three dungeons felt like they made them intentionally long to pad some game time. Mix this with the horribly implemented xp scaling, and the fact the levels themselves look very cut/paste with minor color changes and you've got a recipe for my favorite saying "I really don't loving care!" as I'm escaping from pretty much every fight because past the first few new fights fights because I no longer get xp (1-10 xp is meaningless when you have 20k to level up).

Add to that I have a few minor issues, such as having to set up power cords individually in the factory, the fact it doesn't have better controls (having to go into a menu to change operating types is not cool), placing materials should auto lockon to the materials tables only, the fact there simply isn't enough bagspace for everything, especially if you carry around mats with you so you don't have to dig into storage for that 1 item you need to increase the skills of your character, how you don't get to choose your characters till like chapter 5 of 13 resulting in you having like 8 characters 3 of which you only ever really use. Or how about enemies chain knocking you down for hundreds of damage a hit? That's a thing. Oh you got hit twice, well I hope you have revives! Nevermind if it's an AI that keeps doing stupid things and you can't do anything about it.

I'm not done yet, but ugh.

Hah! Please post your reaction to the final series of battles when you get there. Seriously Making you fight with every character even the ones you haven't touched since you recruited them and making you fight with one character at a time is one of the biggest dick moves I've seen a game pull.

Joshlemagne fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Mar 8, 2013

Alkanos
Jul 20, 2009

Ia! Ia! Cthulhu Fht-YAWN

Joshlemagne posted:

Hah! Please post your reaction to the final series of battles when you get there. Seriously Making you fight with every character even the ones you haven't touched since you recruited them and making you fight with one character at a time is one of the biggest dick moves I've seen a game pull.

I died in the final part of that fight, when you go all super-powered with the giant laser sword. For some reason I assumed it was like other games and you were invincible for the climax. After staring at the screen, I just couldn't bring myself to do that whole fight again right away. To this day I still haven't finished the game.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

I started playing Legend of Mana again last night (after not playing it for several years). I never finished it the first time I tried to play it. I played for about an hour last night and I have an assortment of items that the game considers "Secondary." I guess that's for item creation later on and I shouldn't sell them?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Megaflare posted:

Eh, maybe. Really you should look up these monsters because almost all of the non-respawnable uniques have a 5% split into a very rare component. So I'd suggest you check and see if it's in the table or not + what it is used for then decide. Most likely you'll be fine just selling them but on the off chance you end up needing one of these you're going to be kicking yourself. And I just can't imagine you ever running out of money.

(Last Remnant) I'll think about it, my wallet has swelled since starting Disc 2 to over 400,000, but recruiting and upgrading costs are still hefty (or it would be if I didn't have that really neat sword from the girl in the Celaphis tavern, and many uniques usually make me deplete at least 5,000 gold or more in components.

I spend too much time as it is alt-tabbing to the wiki to look stuff up, and pausing to go to the wiki before splitting a monster because it might give me something that someone who may not even be in my party might ask for gives me pause. I figure that there will probably be a second way to obtain said rare components besides a one-time drop from a one-time enemy, although I have seen this game be a bastard about things like that at times.

I have verified that despite what someone said earlier you CAN still use the Gae Bolg indoors, it happened to me last night. It just doesn't happen often.

SpazmasterX posted:

Yes, only the leader can use unique arts. So your best leaders include Rush, David, and Emmy just because of their unique arts and summons. Irina does have a unique art, but it's physical and she isn't. Stick her wherever you need a healer though. She should have Kiss of Life, which is the best revival spell. She should also have the Retreat Flare Trap, which you should use often to drop enemy morale. Just make sure you're always carrying a supply of its required ingredients.

I played around and made 5 unions, with Irina as one of them, and did about half of Flaumello like that. I took a lot more damage, simply on account of splitting the party and them not being able to finish off some unions for lack of one more unit to act. Eventually, in a quest which took me to a battlefield, the condition was met for the unique art to be performed... it did more damage than I've ever seen from Rush's Omnistrike (and he got one off in that battle as well). And that character is not even physical? :psyduck:

I'll have to keep looking around for trap ingredients, I have not seen many for sale so far. Is that one of the reasons why Lotions, Explosives and Traps are considered not as good? Because of all the money you need to spend to replace ingredients?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Mill Village posted:

I started playing Legend of Mana again last night (after not playing it for several years). I never finished it the first time I tried to play it. I played for about an hour last night and I have an assortment of items that the game considers "Secondary." I guess that's for item creation later on and I shouldn't sell them?
Oh man, that's so cute. Just sell 'em, that crafting system is so arcane and most items are so useless that most people can't do it with a specific flowchart of "take this weapon and forge it with these materials." Crafting in Legend of Mana is loving impossible, and I say this having crafted a Damascus all-resists-at-100 Jazeraint Shield in Vagrant Story.

I mean, if you seriously wanna get into crafting, go look up one of the optimal recipe FAQs; if not, there's nothing you can do with all those materials that'll ever get you positive results. But if you dive in without knowing anything (and as you can probably tell, there are waaaaaayyyyyy too many items to just "experiment" with), you can certainly end up with a 2H Sword made out of the strongest material in the game that's been downgraded to 1 attack strength :downs:

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
Finally started playing 4 Heroes of Light seriously, and... I dunno. I guess I gotta rant a little.

For starters, I really like it. They do a lot of things right, and most other things OK. Most important is it generally feels like a traditional RPG from the NES days, without having all of aging mechanical faults; for example, gear seems focused on utility than linear upgrades, so the numbers don't seem to radically inflate. Of course I am not too terribly far, yet. Just got White/Black mage, out of a poo poo ton of classes (crowns). Anyway, even stuff like being unable to target your actions, works out well enough, and no complaints there.

My problem is with the script(ing). For starters, having static characters doesn't feel right. I can deal if they were otherwise vague placeholders, since each character will have a variety of appearances based on armor/crowns, so that's kinda cool. Squareenix decided to give them personalities and basic stories, however. We have a snob princess, but dialog is so brief that it doesn't matter. It just reinforces that the static characters exist for the sake of static characters.

Which brings me to scripting. It doesn't take long to get your full party, so I was keen enough to just suck it up and have some fun. So what is characters are awful, and I don't get to really do my cRPG style party building. Functionally it isn't much different. What happens as soon as you return from your first quest? Let's split the party!

Did I mention there is heavy inventory management? So up and go two of your four party members, taking everything they hold. It doesn't go to storage or anything. Not like this is a-typical for the genre of jRPGs, but the characters are utterly throw away. It doesn't feel like anyone is expressing personality. It just feels like you are being forced to follow the script.

I get this was supposed to be geared to new audiences, hence the overly simplified battle system of auto-selecting targets; THAT actually works. But the characters, plot, etc feel forced and simply existing for the sake of capturing a non-attentive audience's attention, as if they need a personal level to enter from. That MAY be true, but the script is otherwise so trite it might as well not be there. End result is it is an impediment to gameplay that would otherwise be fun as a classic "Here's your party, now go exploring/adventuring" style RPG.

So, Final Fantasy: 4 Heroes of Light. Better than I expected in some regards. Kinda insufferable in others. Can anyone tell me whether I will get a full party back and stay that way, or is this game going to keep pulling/swapping characters arbitrarily?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Kiggles posted:

Finally started playing 4 Heroes of Light seriously, and... I dunno. I guess I gotta rant a little.

For starters, I really like it. They do a lot of things right, and most other things OK. Most important is it generally feels like a traditional RPG from the NES days, without having all of aging mechanical faults; for example, gear seems focused on utility than linear upgrades, so the numbers don't seem to radically inflate. Of course I am not too terribly far, yet.
Armor is all basically the same, except some pieces have +2 to either PDef or MDef when you forge it up (same with weapons, really; Aire's Dagger is one of the best weapons in the entire game because it gets +2/+2 every time you upgrade it instead of the +1/+1 even most endgame weapons get).

The problem is that enemies get stronger (they have ridiculous level scaling to the point where overworld mooks will wipe you once you hit the 40s or 50s if you neglect upgrading your equipment) and equipment utility gets outdated. The only way to keep up with this is to upgrade your armor, which requires you to fight enemies and gain levels since that's how you get Gems for upgrading, and that only leads to a very poorly-designed cycle where you're racing to get +10 equipment before +10 equipment is outdated (+10 being the cap until you get items that increase it in the optional dungeon, and is WAY too low to reasonably expect the player to be able to get the item that lets you raise the cap).

Basically, Four Heroes of Light is a really cute game that's bogged down by gently caress-you-in-the-rear end math and stupid mechanical design.

quote:

So, Final Fantasy: 4 Heroes of Light. Better than I expected in some regards. Kinda insufferable in others. Can anyone tell me whether I will get a full party back and stay that way, or is this game going to keep pulling/swapping characters arbitrarily?
You'll get your full party about halfway through the game. Everyone will be all "hey we have to go to this floating city" in their own mini-parties, your main four will meet up, and you'll never have to deal with fuckwad guests ever again.

Also level up Merchant, it's an incredibly important class if you want to be able to keep pace with the crap level scaling.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Mar 10, 2013

Torrim
Jun 24, 2007
I am on INTERNET.
There was something about Four Heroes of Light that never drew me in, and my enjoyment of the game just bottomed out as soon as they split my party up. I didn't hate it, per se, it just found it kind of boring.

I've got a huge itch for RPGs again but for some reason I picked up that, Dragon Quest V and both just made me immediately put them back down. I just nabbed a few things off PSN like Vagrant Story and Final Fantasy V and hopefully we'll see how that goes. I remember thinking FFV was loving rad when I played it in the Anthology collection.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

The problem is that enemies get stronger (they have ridiculous level scaling to the point where overworld mooks will wipe you once you hit the 40s or 50s if you neglect upgrading your equipment)
Wait, so NPCs level up with the player?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Kiggles posted:

Wait, so NPCs level up with the player?
I don't remember too much about the NPCs aside from you can steal their clothes and dress up like them, but suffice to say if they don't level up (and I can't remember if they do or not), there'll come a point where you never have an NPC in your group again, nor can you invite them back in.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
No, I was talking about monsters, enemies.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Kiggles posted:

No, I was talking about monsters, enemies.
Oh, okay. Yeah, they absolutely do. They have a level cap earlier on in the game, but there's gonna be an event later that completely removes that cap for all monsters. Depending on how high you took your levels beforehand, that can be kind of a disaster.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Yeah I liked rogue galaxy up until a point, until it very obviously was trying to pad game time. Even the Ghost Ship was a mild diversion built around the same padding.

And what's the point of completing some of the segments of the game simply to get say a 314+ shoe that requires you to not only do the post-game dungeon, but the postgame dungeon+ (which is 100 random levels), when I can make my own shoe at endgame that is also 314+ attack power?

Then, to get a costume, you have to beat the 100 level dungeon TWICE.

Then, for a new game plus, all that transfers over is unlocked costumes. :\ But after all that effort, why would I ever replay the game?

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Mar 12, 2013

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Christ, the level-scaling in Heroes of Light. Wish I had known about that before I picked up that stupid item that increases XP gains. After a certain point, the final boss will be able to one-shot you with every attack he does, and to do anything close to combatting him you'll need to go to four secret dungeons (also with level-scaled opponents) to get some magic poo poo so you can upgrade all of your stuff beyond the default max level. Only then will you stand a chance at all.

So loving dumb. Never beat the game because of that.

Joshlemagne
Mar 6, 2013

The White Dragon posted:

You'll get your full party about halfway through the game. Everyone will be all "hey we have to go to this floating city" in their own mini-parties, your main four will meet up, and you'll never have to deal with fuckwad guests ever again.

Also level up Merchant, it's an incredibly important class if you want to be able to keep pace with the crap level scaling.

And in order to get there you have to do a nerve-wracking solo dungeon. The party splitting and solo sections were the stupidest things about that game. A party system is all about developing synergies and having the members support each other in different roles. It doesn't work at all when you're stuck with one or two characters. It's too bad because the game's combat system is pretty cool with using ap for everyone so you can use your skills more freely.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Joshlemagne posted:

The party splitting and solo sections were the stupidest things about that game.
Yup. I'm still not up to that regrouping point, and it's been consistently rather poo poo. Tolerable, but tedious and not so much engaging, as you only ever have two party members that are worth investing any time into at any given time. Occasionally only one.

I'm still sticking with it. Got Aire to the floating city, which I am guessing is where everyone comes back together? Guess it will work out, though, because I like to grind in portable RPGs, and I've been itching to really get into the game and start grinding up equipment upgrades, and crowns, since gaining access to the Merchant crown.

Oh well, thank goodness for the wayfarer and escape. Otherwise, yeah, the level scaling is mad dumb. Ran into lizardmen outside of Urbeth, and they were hardly comparable to the lizardmen you can encounter in the beginning of the game, though there is no in-game indication to identify just how much more advanced they are since you last saw them. What progression?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

If I want to start on the Atelier series, do I have to play in order? Is there any ones I should avoid?

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Assuming you mean the PS3 games, the order goes Rorona -> Totori -> Meruru, with Ayesha being a separate 'arc'. That said, you can safely skip Rorona, which is a little too simplistic, and jump straight into Totori, which is the best of the lot.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Stelas posted:

Assuming you mean the PS3 games, the order goes Rorona -> Totori -> Meruru, with Ayesha being a separate 'arc'. That said, you can safely skip Rorona, which is a little too simplistic, and jump straight into Totori, which is the best of the lot.

I could play the ps2 ones as well, if they're not crappy.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I could play the ps2 ones as well, if they're not crappy.

The PS2 ones are a lot more straight-RPG instead of semi-sim. So it depends on what you want.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

What about these Ar Tonelico? Aren't those also the same kind of universe?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Ar Tonelico is pretty bad and creepy, except 2, which is just mediocre and creepy.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Cake Attack posted:

Ar Tonelico is pretty bad and creepy, except 2, which is just mediocre and creepy.

But boy are they ever creepy!

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
AT3 is terrible yes, but AT2 actually has a really fun battle system and some pretty nice character development/story going on. And AT1 is actually more or less another Atelier Iris. They're fun games if you're not instantly put off by the anime factor.

And they have gorgeous music.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

AT3 is terrible yes, but AT2 actually has a really fun battle system and some pretty nice character development/story going on. And AT1 is actually more or less another Atelier Iris. They're fun games if you're not instantly put off by the anime factor.

And they have gorgeous music.

The music is amazing, I'll give you that much. Maybe I'm just dumb though, but I just couldn't follow 2's plot. Maybe it's because I never played 1.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cake Attack posted:

The music is amazing, I'll give you that much. Maybe I'm just dumb though, but I just couldn't follow 2's plot. Maybe it's because I never played 1.

You couldn't follow 2's plot because 2's translation was an atrocity. It was seriously the most inept translation I'd seen in a modern game and I believe NISA came out and apologized for how bad it was.

(Not that 2 had a non-terrible plot but the translation was like the fecal icing on the cake.)

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Not just a translation, the localization introduces bugs too. There's a late game boss that you have to kill in under a certain number of rounds or else the game locks up. Thankfully the game is comically easy and you can two-round every boss with certain setups.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

You couldn't follow 2's plot because 2's translation was an atrocity. It was seriously the most inept translation I'd seen in a modern game and I believe NISA came out and apologized for how bad it was.

(Not that 2 had a non-terrible plot but the translation was like the fecal icing on the cake.)

That would explain it then. It's been long enough I couldn't remember why I couldn't follow it, I just remember not understanding the setting or why people were doing what they were doing.