Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

Crankit posted:

Occasionally I've seen goons respond to something by saying "pissssssss" what exactly does that mean, is it from a TV show or something?

It comes from my most favorite youtube clip ever!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUz9xCTOPRw

Someone posted it in YOSPOS and they took to it rather quickly.

It just gets funnier every time I watch it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raimundus
Apr 26, 2008

BARF! I THOUGHT I WOULD LIKE SMELLING DOG BUTTS BUT I GUESS I WAS WRONG!
To call a woman beautiful in Spanish, do I use "bonita", "linda", or "hermosa"?

Fast edit: What are the differences between these words?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

On Facebook there are now tons of pages that purport to give away iPhones or other gadgets. Usually they just ask people to share a photo and state a colour or something. I know it's a complete scam but what exactly do the scammers hope to accomplish? There doesn't seem to be personal information being exchanged or anything.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Raimundus posted:

Why don't you check the Spanish thread in SAL?

Raimundus
Apr 26, 2008

Xiahou Dun posted:

Why don't you check the Spanish thread in SAL?

Está hecho.

But any answer here is still appreciated. :D

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Raimundus posted:

It depends on the context. But linda is appropriate in almost any situation.
There's not much of a difference. Just in how you would use them. Linda can also be used as "nice" depending on the wording.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Vegetable posted:

On Facebook there are now tons of pages that purport to give away iPhones or other gadgets. Usually they just ask people to share a photo and state a colour or something. I know it's a complete scam but what exactly do the scammers hope to accomplish? There doesn't seem to be personal information being exchanged or anything.

More likes, shares, and comments will increase the frequency their posts show up in a news feed, gaining a large audience quickly.

These pages can then be sold off as sorts of pre-made auciences. The page can be completely changed so it's no longer the free ipod offer, but for something else. Since the page still had that viral share/comment/like quality, it will continue to show up higher in newsfeed postings under the new owner.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
I have a question about the words A vs An.

"I found an iPad yesterday." sounds right
"I found a iPad yesterday" sounds wrong
"I found a Galaxy Tab" sounds ok
"I found an Galaxy Tab" is weird.

Which are correct?

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

b0nes posted:

Which are correct?

You use "an" when the word begins with a vowel sound. A spider. An antelope. A yogurt cup. An honor.

It can sometimes be confusing when people pronounce things different though. FAQ is the classic internet example, if you say "fak" in your head than you'd call it a FAQ. If you say the acronym, you'd use an F.A.Q.

Liebfraumilch
Aug 17, 2008

b0nes posted:

Which are correct?

The "n" helpfully separates the vowel sounds between "a" and the word following it if it starts with a vowel sound.

An apple. An orange. An iPad.
versus
A peach. A mango. A Galaxy Tab.

Sometimes you will get words that don't fit this rule by vowel/consonant, so you must go by vowel sound.

An honor.

Very rarely, I think, you get something that a lot of people mess up because they pronounce the initial consonant of the following word.

An historian.

(I took my degrees in history and English and still always say "a historian"...I'm incurable.)

Raimundus
Apr 26, 2008

Liebfraumilch posted:

Very rarely, I think, you get something that a lot of people mess up because they pronounce the initial consonant of the following word.

An historian.

(I took my degrees in history and English and still always say "a historian"...I'm incurable.)

Then you should know that the difference is probably dialectical. I, as well, pronounce the H in "historian".

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Whats a good tool to combine several .flv files into one larger one? I googled around, but there seem to be 100 different FREE! programs for it, which I figure are mostly just spyware. The vidoe files are mostly .flvs from twitch streams that got broken into 2 hour chunks.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
I know defrosting meat on the counter is a pretty big no-no but at room temperature is it really bad let it sit for a couple hours starting from room temperature? Obviously you don't let it sit overnight, but if you're just trying to defrost it for cooking or whatever, a few hours on the counter can't be that bad can it? I'm aware that the right way to do it is either a defrost microwave, leave it in the fridge or leaving it in a bowl of cold water. Just curious if on-the-counter for a few hours is really such a bad idea (at room temperature, not like a hot day or anything)

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

Revitalized posted:

I know defrosting meat on the counter is a pretty big no-no but at room temperature is it really bad let it sit for a couple hours starting from room temperature? Obviously you don't let it sit overnight, but if you're just trying to defrost it for cooking or whatever, a few hours on the counter can't be that bad can it? I'm aware that the right way to do it is either a defrost microwave, leave it in the fridge or leaving it in a bowl of cold water. Just curious if on-the-counter for a few hours is really such a bad idea (at room temperature, not like a hot day or anything)
If you're talking about steaks, I do it all the time and have never had a problem. The problem with thawing is the surface has been exposed to room temperature considerably longer than the centre, but with whole, thin cuts of beef left for a short time it's generally fine. Pork/Chicken/any kind of ground beef is a definite no though.

To be honest, I do it out of sheer laziness, the microwave is a better option.

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT
Put meat in bag. Put bag in cold water. Change water every half hour or so.

That is how you safely thaw meat. The coldness will keep it out of the danger zone. The water, transmitting heat much better than air, will thaw the meat faster. :)

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
What happened to the old Logitech Harmony remote thread? Where do I ask questions about one now?

Pseudodude
Aug 26, 2012

Liebfraumilch posted:

Can I alter individual keys on US International keyboard to display ğ and ş as altgr options?

You can set up key mappings like this in AutoHotkey. Set it to run on start-up, and add the lines

code:
!g::Send {Asc 287}
!s::Send {Asc 351}
to your script. !+g for alt+shift if there's a capital-letter equivalent.

Raimundus
Apr 26, 2008

Noni posted:

Put meat in bag. Put bag in cold water. Change water every half hour or so.

For fresh meat from the grocery store, my mother would just leave it wrapped in the package it came in. The cellophane is usually water-tight.

Liebfraumilch
Aug 17, 2008

Pseudodude posted:

You can set up key mappings like this in AutoHotkey. Set it to run on start-up, and add the lines

code:
!g::Send {Asc 287}
!s::Send {Asc 351}
to your script. !+g for alt+shift if there's a capital-letter equivalent.

I shall get on this, thank you!

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

Raimundus posted:

For fresh meat from the grocery store, my mother would just leave it wrapped in the package it came in. The cellophane is usually water-tight.

I've also heard putting it in a bowl of cold water and letting cold water from the faucet run continually into it works well.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Huntersoninski posted:

I've also heard putting it in a bowl of cold water and letting cold water from the faucet run continually into it works well.

That sounds like a huge waste of water compared to filling a bag a few times.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans
Wait so I'm not supposed to thaw meat on the counter? If I remember I typically take it out of the freezer and put it in the fridge 24-36 hours before I want to cook it. If I don't remember, I will put it on the counter 4-5 hours before I want to cook it.

John McCain
Jan 29, 2009

Xenoborg posted:

It's a waste of potable water, yes, but it'll thaw your meat a lot faster than just letting it sit. And if you're on a well/septic system you can't really waste water so it's not a big deal.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
Do you ever wake up and eeverything feels kinda awesome like it's your birthday or something, but it's not actually your birthday but you feel good like someone is going to give you presents? What's that called and is there a way to experience it more often?

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!

Crankit posted:

Do you ever wake up and eeverything feels kinda awesome like it's your birthday or something, but it's not actually your birthday but you feel good like someone is going to give you presents? What's that called and is there a way to experience it more often?

A good mood? An extreme version of this would be a manic episode. But unless it makes you do things that you later regret I wouldn't worry about it.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Xenoborg posted:

The faucet should be set to a just the slowest trickle. In the hour it takes to thaw your meat, you will use somewhere between what it takes to flush a toilet and what you use during a shower.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Liebfraumilch posted:

Keyboards & Languages in Windows 7:

I had spent a year and a half using Turkish keyboard layout for my laptop and would like to expand my horizons a bit to get the ä å æ ø etc needed for some other things I do. US International keyboard is looking great. But it would be nice not to give up my easy access to ğ and ş. Can I alter individual keys on US International keyboard to display ğ and ş as altgr options? I'm not comfortable messing about in BIOS stuff and can't find anything more helpful on Google at the moment. All the answers seem to be more focused on teaching people how to insert from the character map or do numpad shortcuts. I just want to hit altgr+g and get ğ, for example, so gently caress the character map.

For now, I've been alt-shifting between TR and US to hit those quickly but it doesn't taste like victory.

I don't know if it's a built-in part of Windows 7 or if you still need to download it, but Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator lets you create customised keyboard layouts, either from scratch or based on existing templates, so you start with whichever one is closest to how you want it and add whatever's missing.

Ror posted:

You use "an" when the word begins with a vowel sound. A spider. An antelope. A yogurt cup. An honor.

It can sometimes be confusing when people pronounce things different though. FAQ is the classic internet example, if you say "fak" in your head than you'd call it a FAQ. If you say the acronym, you'd use an F.A.Q.

If someone writes "an herb" you can instantly tell that they're American. :-)

Liebfraumilch posted:

An historian.

A lot of people seem to have this weird idea that you should say "an" for words starting with a H (or "an H" if you prefer), but there's no reason to do that unless you drop the H. If you pronounce it, it's a consonant sound so you say "a".

A historian, an 'istorian.

Liebfraumilch
Aug 17, 2008

Tiggum posted:

I don't know if it's a built-in part of Windows 7 or if you still need to download it, but Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator lets you create customised keyboard layouts, either from scratch or based on existing templates, so you start with whichever one is closest to how you want it and add whatever's missing.

This is unspeakably awesome. Thank you! :dance:

It's pretty intuitive so far, and all I need to do now is make sure I don't get carried away and end up with some overwhelming abomination. I'd also like to see if I can stop ' and " from being dead keys, I guess it's called (waiting until after the next action to show up), since it's been driving me insane after my switch to US International.

EDIT: Works beautifully and was incredibly intuitive to work with for someone who knows just enough about computers to get herself in trouble. I have my ğ,ş, ı, and İ just an altgr away in great spots that are easy to remember, I have no more dead keys on ' and " and instead was able to shove them off to shift+ctrl+alt+<~> and ctrl+alt+<~> respectively (since I won't need them often), and I found a nice home for œ next to æ. Victory is mine at last.

quote:

A lot of people seem to have this weird idea that you should say "an" for words starting with a H (or "an H" if you prefer), but there's no reason to do that unless you drop the H. If you pronounce it, it's a consonant sound so you say "a".

A historian, an 'istorian.

Written, though, it's supposed to be an, right? I'd like to believe there's a reason I've been sheepish about this for a decade.

Liebfraumilch fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Mar 11, 2013

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Liebfraumilch posted:

Written, though, it's supposed to be an, right? I'd like to believe there's a reason I've been sheepish about this for a decade.
Nope. Though he does say you probably won't get in trouble for it.

Liebfraumilch
Aug 17, 2008

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Nope. Though he does say you probably won't get in trouble for it.

But apparently it makes me less sophisticated, which is pretty much all I could hope for after pursuing a BA in history and English from a private college. I will die a spinster, or married to a mere commoner. :(

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
Okay, my wife and I have been seriously procrastinating getting her name changed. I'm looking over the SSI website, maybe someone can answer a few questions:

We have the court document for the marriage license, the official one. With her ID, can we scan/print her license (or photocopy it), or do we have to go to the DMV and get some sort of paper copy of it?

Do we need to get her birth certificate as well or will it go through without that?

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration
This website should answer most of your questions! It is really nice because it lays out what order you need to do things. I'm using this website to mentally make notes on what I need to do when I get married in a few months.

http://www.brit.co/the-ultimate-guide-to-changing-your-last-name/

Lyz
May 22, 2007

I AM A GIRL ON WOW GIVE ME ITAMS

Gothmog1065 posted:

Okay, my wife and I have been seriously procrastinating getting her name changed. I'm looking over the SSI website, maybe someone can answer a few questions:

We have the court document for the marriage license, the official one. With her ID, can we scan/print her license (or photocopy it), or do we have to go to the DMV and get some sort of paper copy of it?

Do we need to get her birth certificate as well or will it go through without that?

If there's a (an?) SSI office near you, go there first with the marriage license and get her name changed. They'll give her an official letter that she can take to the DMV and get a new license with, and I'm pretty sure she only needs that and her old license.

(I'm guessing that was your question, how to get her name change officially started, although technically it started on the paperwork for the marriage license you filled out for your town.)

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
I'm having trouble coming up with a word. It's along the lines of retroactive or complementary maybe. For instance if a software update for an application includes all the other updates before it, that update would be _________.

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008

stubblyhead posted:

I'm having trouble coming up with a word. It's along the lines of retroactive or complementary maybe. For instance if a software update for an application includes all the other updates before it, that update would be _________.

"Comprehensive"? "Plenary"?

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot
Cumulative?

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

This is the correct jargon. Microsoft regularly releases "cumulative updates."

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Sieg posted:

... If I don't remember, I will put it on the counter 4-5 hours before I want to cook it.

You're not supposed to but that's the way a lot of people do it at home.

I suspect the biggest threat is from cross contamination and undercooking from thawing this way.

I'm much more concerned about raw foods like produce (especially bagged/processed) and general food handling than I am thawing methods.

But it's a "how safe is safe enough" kind of thing. It runs from the OCD to the pulling a slice of pizza from under the couch.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

This was definitely it, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

You're not supposed to but that's the way a lot of people do it at home.

I suspect the biggest threat is from cross contamination and undercooking from thawing this way.

I'm much more concerned about raw foods like produce (especially bagged/processed) and general food handling than I am thawing methods.

But it's a "how safe is safe enough" kind of thing. It runs from the OCD to the pulling a slice of pizza from under the couch.

My mom always put it in the sink so she didn't have to clean up any runoff.

My current roommate lets it sit in the fridge until it goes bad and then throws it away. :v: