Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Hallucinogenic Toreador posted:

I think the difficulty for Paradox is that there isn't really a consensus among historians as to why western Europe overtook the middle east and Asia during this period, so how should they model it? I'd like to see something other than inherent bonuses for western Europe but I couldn't suggest a practical alternative that would give roughly historical results.
I would probably focus on giving the European AI a desire to set up trading posts in Asia, followed by alliances with local rulers, opportunistic Casus Belli for when an Asian power is in trouble, rather than just artificially weakening Asia. Take India for example, which was turned into a pure raw materials producer by Britain to force a dependence on British cloth, the money from which they would use to further dominate India and the rest of Asia. India wasn't a technological backwater when Britain got started, but Britain taking over made sure it became one.

Have to agree with the person who said Europe's fortune should be found in trade, not inherent bonuses for being Europe, because the domination of trade is what made Europe rise above everyone else in Eurasia. Of course such a system is more complicated to make than just giving every non-European state a research malus, but such a system should still be there anyway if you wish to make a game that includes the European adventures in the east, so might as well make that work instead of just settling for clunky malus solutions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Why not have trade bring in bonuses to research or chances to gain advances as well, depending on the volume of trade that goes through? I can see this easily as a way to represent valuable knowledge and goods being exchanged on trade routes.

WhitemageofDOOM
Sep 13, 2010

... It's magic. I ain't gotta explain shit.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Have to agree with the person who said Europe's fortune should be found in trade, not inherent bonuses for being Europe, because the domination of trade is what made Europe rise above everyone else in Eurasia. Of course such a system is more complicated to make than just giving every non-European state a research malus, but such a system should still be there anyway if you wish to make a game that includes the European adventures in the east, so might as well make that work instead of just settling for clunky malus solutions.

It also you know, doesn't work with the new tech system which is based on monarch points.

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.
Smellrose

WhitemageofDOOM posted:

It also you know, doesn't work with the new tech system which is based on monarch points.

Why not? Just have a load of situational modifiers for how many monarch points a tech costs.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

DrSunshine posted:

I really hope they don't go with the "Westernization" thing for EU4, where the more close to Western you are, the better, because it just stinks of Eurocentrism. Like being Western is the greatest thing in the world! Somebody really ought to give the Paradox devs a copy of Guns, Germs and Steel.

There's at least one person over on the Paradox forums who brought and mailed a copy of Guns, Germs and Steel over to the Paradox offices shortly after the announcement of the Aztec Invasion DLC, because he wanted to make drat well sure that Paradox understood how horrible and ahistorical Aztecs invading were.

Turns out later he got the address wrong and mailed it to their US marketing department, but the devs confirmed that there was no need to send the book anyhow - they've read it.

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe
It always amazes me how mad people get about alt-history in a game explicitly about creating your own alt-history.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Friend Commuter posted:

Why not? Just have a load of situational modifiers for how many monarch points a tech costs.
Yeah, if those don't exist then the problem is practically solved anyway! (and America suddenly becomes harder to conquer.)

DrSunshine posted:

Why not have trade bring in bonuses to research or chances to gain advances as well, depending on the volume of trade that goes through? I can see this easily as a way to represent valuable knowledge and goods being exchanged on trade routes.
That seems like the best solution to me, as trade is both a measure of wealth (which allows investment in new ideas), and a function of your contact with the rest of the world, which can introduce those ideas. And instead of the simple neighbor bonus, you would instead get bonuses for actually getting involved with those neighbors, possibly discarding the need for tech groups and instead letting the actions of the country define where it belongs. As long as there are still plausible restrictions to where you can trade depending on various techs and ideas, that should allow a sensible development without straitjacketing the player.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Antinumeric posted:

It always amazes me how mad people get about alt-history in a game explicitly about creating your own alt-history.
There is a difference between plausible alternate history and "hey, this sounds cool!" alternate history.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES

Kainser posted:

There is a difference between plausible alternate history and "hey, this sounds cool!" alternate history.

But Sunset Invasion was firmly in the latter camp and had no pretensions of being anywhere near the former :confused:

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Sunset Invasion is just a goofy fun thing, and it's okay that some people think it's too goofy, but those people tend to be oddly outspoken about how such a thing should never be made and sold. For some reason.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I think there are some folks out there who've coupled their egos (and a sense of their own intelligence) with their affinity for these games. When they see one get the History Channel's Ancient Aliens treatment, they're reminded that their hobby is oriented around a nice entertainment product instead of a History PhD and they start flipping tables.

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe

Kainser posted:

But 99% of the stuff that happens in these games falls solidly into unplausible.

Unless you think that the Grand Duchy of Lithuania being conquered by 1100 is plausible, or Wales conquering the British Isles, or Brittany landing a few troops in the Holy Land on a crusade and turning it into the Merchant Republic of Jerusalem. I remember how the Finns trembled at the thought of the Sami reforming into the feudal system and conquering Scandanivia. It seemed so plausible.

Or the 1400 start of EU3 and the people who return the ERE from the brink.

Antinumeric fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Mar 12, 2013

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Antinumeric posted:

But 99% of the stuff that happens in these games falls solidly into unplausible.

Unless you think that the Grand Duchy of Lithuania being conquered by 1100 is plausible, or Wales conquering the British Isles, or Brittany landing a few troops in the Holy Land on a crusade and turning it into the Merchant Kingdom of Jerusalem. I remember how the Finns trembled at the thought of the Sami reforming into the feudal system and conquering Scandanivia. It seemed so plausible.

There's a lot of people who wish that the stuff that went on without player intervention was more plausible, though. That stuff isn't really implausible by design and it would be better if the world you play in was more consistently believable. But I still enjoy stuff like Sunset Invasion every now and then, and I think the criticism that often gets put against it completely misses the point.

Crameltonian
Mar 27, 2010
I guess I could understand the criticism of Sunset Invasion if Paradox were somehow forcing every CK2 owner to download it and play with it installed. As it is it's just a fun little DLC that those who want to can use and everyone else can ignore, it doesn't really seem worth getting that worked up about.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
Yeah, I'm in the position with Sunset Invasion where I don't want to use it in my own games because it's a little bit too goofy for what I want from CK2, but I like the fact that it exists.

Noreaus
May 22, 2008

HEY, WHAT'S HAPPENING? :)
Yeah, it's not for me but it made me very happy to see it being made. I get the impression, from seeing dev's posts and from things that Sunset Invasion, that the devs enjoy their work, at least a little bit. I like that, there does seem to still be humanity and humour in the company despite its success :)

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
I like it just for the fact of how many people it made rage. Added with the CK2+ change to make it "random" really makes it more exciting, also.

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe

John Charity Spring posted:

Yeah, I'm in the position with Sunset Invasion where I don't want to use it in my own games because it's a little bit too goofy for what I want from CK2, but I like the fact that it exists.

I can get this. I like it because it provides some threat to the west half of the map. No-where is safe!

Also I tend to view CK2 as a simulation of some madcap version of Europe where everyone is bloodthirsty and insane.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Doctor Schnabel posted:

I think there are some folks out there who've coupled their egos (and a sense of their own intelligence) with their affinity for these games. When they see one get the History Channel's Ancient Aliens treatment, they're reminded that their hobby is oriented around a nice entertainment product instead of a History PhD and they start flipping tables.

Yeah, I can definitely see some of that on the forums, and not just because of the historical side, either. There's a strong sense of "Paradox games provide TRUE depth and strategy, I am above the petty mindless clickfests of C&C or Starcraft and my affinity for these games demonstrates my superior intellect." Which causes screaming every time Paradox seems like it's "dumbing down" the game for people who don't feel like spending hours climbing a learning curve.

Krataar
Sep 13, 2011

Drums in the deep

Is there a guide for fiddling with the number of Pops in an area in V2. I'm trying to setup a divided states start, but I can't get APD started (it always crashes to desktop when i go to start a game) and regular V2 doesn't have enough Pops in starting states to beging with it.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Guildencrantz posted:

But Sunset Invasion was firmly in the latter camp and had no pretensions of being anywhere near the former :confused:

And I honestly don't know why anybody would give the slightest poo poo considering you can de/activate it at will

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Yeah, if those don't exist then the problem is practically solved anyway! (and America suddenly becomes harder to conquer.)

That seems like the best solution to me, as trade is both a measure of wealth (which allows investment in new ideas), and a function of your contact with the rest of the world, which can introduce those ideas. And instead of the simple neighbor bonus, you would instead get bonuses for actually getting involved with those neighbors, possibly discarding the need for tech groups and instead letting the actions of the country define where it belongs. As long as there are still plausible restrictions to where you can trade depending on various techs and ideas, that should allow a sensible development without straitjacketing the player.

I thought about this some more, and the more I think about it, the more it makes sense.

Let's say that in 1400, China has the relative advantage in terms of technological advancement in comparison to Europe, in most technologies. But the more trade you have, the more likely you may experience diffusion of ideas, etc., that may reduce stability. So China closes down its trade. By then, many of its technologies have already diffused to its nearest neighbors in India and the Middle East, so by the time China closes up, Europe starts to get trade idea diffusion from the Middle East and starts to rapidly technologically advance.

Meanwhile, because European countries are so close and interlinked, ideas diffuse rapidly along the many trade routes that they have with each other, so Europe quickly starts to catch up to the isolationist China.

I think this would be a great system to model the technological stagnation of isolationist powers, like the relatively slow advancement of Japan. Also, this way it gives the players a way to directly influence the progress of their society without straitjacketing them into arbitrary (and somewhat racist) groups based on proximity to "The West".

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Krataar posted:

Is there a guide for fiddling with the number of Pops in an area in V2. I'm trying to setup a divided states start, but I can't get APD started (it always crashes to desktop when i go to start a game) and regular V2 doesn't have enough Pops in starting states to beging with it.

First I'd check your version of V2, APD shouldn't crash without good reason.

Anyways, changing POPs is quite straightforward, they are in several text files within "X:\WhateverYouUse\Victoria II\history\pops\". Just do a search for the province you want to edit and change the numbers around and you can even add new types of POPs et al. It looks like this:

"
#Atlantic City (88000/22000 POPS)
231 = {
clergymen = {
culture = yankee
religion = protestant
size = 150
}

artisans = {
culture = yankee
religion = protestant
size = 1100
}

soldiers = {
culture = yankee
religion = protestant
size = 225
}

farmers = {
culture = yankee
religion = protestant
size = 20525
}
}
"

So it's easy enough. You may want to make your own mod if you care about multiplayer compatibility, but if you play these games on your own, don't worry about it. Just make sure to make a backup of the Pops folder in case something goes wrong so you won't be forced to re-install the game. And if you add new types of POPs, make sure that they all have their brackets in the right place. A rogue bracket is a world of pain!

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Antinumeric posted:

I can get this. I like it because it provides some threat to the west half of the map. No-where is safe!

Thats basically why I like it as well. Starting out on the British Isles is a lot of fun, but it there's not a lot to do once you've formed Britannia and gotten it stable. Granted, doing that is no small feat but it's not like playing Eastern Europe where your personal political ambitions are constantly being threatened by the Invasion of the Week.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
How are small countries like Switzerland played in AHD? Can you expand at all without running into Austria? Do you get France to help you expand or?

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Tahirovic posted:

How are small countries like Switzerland played in AHD? Can you expand at all without running into Austria? Do you get France to help you expand or?

If you are using the APD mod then Switzerland has a built-in event that makes it neutral by ending wars automatically. For Vanilla (or in APD) as any of the small powers in the south end it's a good idea to ally up with all of the other minors in the area. Minors seem to not be as tight about their allying than with the GPs, so you should be able to have a good sized network of friends.

v: Jack aggressiveness all the way up. Watch the entire world shatter.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Mar 12, 2013

Lucky Samurai
Oct 4, 2011

Being jaded about something is so cool. You're just as useless as everybody else, but you get to be irritating and bitter about it.
What difficulty and aggressiveness do most people play vanilla EU3 at? I've played at Normal/Normal but the AI always seems to roll over at that level. I think in 200 years as the Ottomans I only had one war declared on me, it was Austria. the only country that seems to gain any footing in gaining size and not exploding due to rebels was Castille/Spain. England formed GB and then exploded into its constituent parts at least 3 times, and France never really went anywhere. I want big countries screwing each other, dammit.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!
I usually play on Normal/low aggressiveness, since that makes for more stable blobs. Unfortunately that does make it a bit too easy to get to a point where you're pretty much unbeatable, but I'm just unable to enjoy the higher difficulty levels where the AI gets bonuses. The first battle where I realize the AI wins due to the difficulty bonuses is enough to drain all fun.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

MC2552John posted:

What difficulty and aggressiveness do most people play vanilla EU3 at? I've played at Normal/Normal but the AI always seems to roll over at that level. I think in 200 years as the Ottomans I only had one war declared on me, it was Austria. the only country that seems to gain any footing in gaining size and not exploding due to rebels was Castille/Spain. England formed GB and then exploded into its constituent parts at least 3 times, and France never really went anywhere. I want big countries screwing each other, dammit.

Turn Lucky Nations on, either historial or not. The AI is really hopeless about keeping its empires together. In one game I owned everything from Fez to Jerusalem, as well as all of Italy and southern France, including a huge mercantile base and colonies, no revolt risk whatsoever. I switched nations to try and topple my empire as a challenge for the second half of the game.

Shouldn't have bothered, AI managed to go bankrupt seven years in. Somehow.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

ZearothK posted:

Turn Lucky Nations on, either historial or not. The AI is really hopeless about keeping its empires together. In one game I owned everything from Fez to Jerusalem, as well as all of Italy and southern France, including a huge mercantile base and colonies, no revolt risk whatsoever. I switched nations to try and topple my empire as a challenge for the second half of the game.

Shouldn't have bothered, AI managed to go bankrupt seven years in. Somehow.
Yeah, that's something I really hope the AI will be better about in EU4. You can give it as many bonuses as you want, but it still has a way of pissing away any advantage by playing it extremely safe when it's already secure, or going for broke when the wolves are at the door.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Sunset Invasion is going to be INCREDIBLE when Old Gods comes out because paradox confirmed that you'll be able to play as an Aztec character.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Antinumeric posted:

Also I tend to view CK2 as a simulation of some madcap version of Europe where everyone is bloodthirsty and insane.

So, just plain old ordinary Europe, then?

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Yes, but with less prestigious art funded.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Rynoto posted:

If you are using the APD mod then Switzerland has a built-in event that makes it neutral by ending wars automatically. For Vanilla (or in APD) as any of the small powers in the south end it's a good idea to ally up with all of the other minors in the area. Minors seem to not be as tight about their allying than with the GPs, so you should be able to have a good sized network of friends.

You also cannot manufacture CBs against them of any kind even with less than 50 relations. One of the many features that is now causing me to encourage people to just not bother with APD: I do like that there are more things that factor into religious and cultural conversions, and some of the new events are alright but between Switzerland being hilariously unplayable and the multiple redundant and useless troop types, I think vanilla or NNM is the way to go nowadays.

MC2552John posted:

Normal/Low with lucky nations set to random. It tends to lead to blobs that are not overly aggressive so they can usually stabilize quite nicely.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Sometimes it's fun to play with AI aggressiveness set on high, play as a country in the far east, and then see what a clusterfuck Europe has turned into when the map gets revealed.

DrProsek posted:

You also cannot manufacture CBs against them of any kind even with less than 50 relations. One of the many features that is now causing me to encourage people to just not bother with APD: I do like that there are more things that factor into religious and cultural conversions, and some of the new events are alright but between Switzerland being hilariously unplayable and the multiple redundant and useless troop types, I think vanilla or NNM is the way to go nowadays.

I like APD for the new resources and supply chains. In vanilla, for example, you need cotton and dye to make fabric. Wool doesn't factor into it at all, in fact wool isn't used to make any kind of industrial good. Also the dye requirement makes it so you can't make fabric unless you're Britain, because they control the world's dye supply until you can make your own. In APD, there are actually two different fabric factories, one that consumes only cotton and one that consumes only wool. It does similar things with other goods, like canned food and liquor. But beside that, the other stuff you mentioned, especially the seemingly aimless tweaking of military unit stats (hmmm yase lets give cavalry a maneuver value of SIX) is completely unbearable.

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Mar 12, 2013

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
To dig up the old conversation about a Red Mars game, this seems to be pretty close. Paradox should jump on this, because it'll be a cold day in hell before a product this niche raises $700k in a month. It seems like the kind of interesting niche strategy game that's right up their alley.

*edit*
I'd use Lucky Nations more if it wasn't a total lie. It only chooses lucky nations from a small list of European nations. You're not going to see a lucky Sibir or Ashanti or Cherokee, which is disappointing.

Wolfgang Pauli fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Mar 12, 2013

WhitemageofDOOM
Sep 13, 2010

Friend Commuter posted:

Because that would be pointlessly/tediously complex for what's intended to be no net effect.(I mean, i assume you balance this so europe wins.)
Also scaling it to nation size properly would be a bitch.

DrSunshine posted:

I thought about this some more, and the more I think about it, the more it makes sense.

Let's say that in 1400, China has the relative advantage in terms of technological advancement in comparison to Europe, in most technologies. But the more trade you have, the more likely you may experience diffusion of ideas, etc., that may reduce stability. So China closes down its trade. By then, many of its technologies have already diffused to its nearest neighbors in India and the Middle East, so by the time China closes up, Europe starts to get trade idea diffusion from the Middle East and starts to rapidly technologically advance.

Meanwhile, because European countries are so close and interlinked, ideas diffuse rapidly along the many trade routes that they have with each other, so Europe quickly starts to catch up to the isolationist China.

I think this would be a great system to model the technological stagnation of isolationist powers, like the relatively slow advancement of Japan. Also, this way it gives the players a way to directly influence the progress of their society without straitjacketing them into arbitrary (and somewhat racist) groups based on proximity to "The West".

So, what is the players role in this?

Farecoal posted:

And I honestly don't know why anybody would give the slightest poo poo considering you can de/activate it at will

People on the paradox forums are whining that the possible existence of a random new world dlc would break their immersion.
People on the paradox forums say their immersion is broken because genoa isn't as viable for conquering france as france is.
People on the paradox forums are loving stupid.

DrProsek posted:

It's funny when you are france, have had allied and sphered switzerland all game and have annexed all of south germany in the napoleonic wars mk2 and have freed quebec and ireland from britain for shits and giggles.
Switzerland, still neutral. So every time i went to war i had to accept their alliance offer.

I play serbia mod now.

Fister Roboto posted:

I like APD for the new resources and supply chains. In vanilla, for example, you need cotton and dye to make fabric. Wool doesn't factor into it at all, in fact wool isn't used to make any kind of industrial good. Also the dye requirement makes it so you can't make fabric unless you're Britain, because they control the world's dye supply until you can make your own. In APD, there are actually two different fabric factories, one that consumes only cotton and one that consumes only wool. It does similar things with other goods, like canned food and liquor. But beside that, the other stuff you mentioned, especially the seemingly aimless tweaking of military unit stats (hmmm yase lets give cavalry a maneuver value of SIX) is completely unbearable.

The economic changes have always been great, but everything else they do tends towards awful. (Armies in AHD -totally- need more micromanagement!)

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
I'm playing Afghanistan in APD and I just lost Horse Artillery and Regulars after Westernizing. I don't even... :psyduck:

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

WhitemageofDOOM posted:

So, what is the players role in this?

Tweaking a "stability" vs "trade & tech" slider, in addition to the more advanced trade route manipulation/dominance mechanics that are actually coming in EU4.

...honestly, this could plausibly be moddable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhitemageofDOOM
Sep 13, 2010

PleasingFungus posted:

Tweaking a "stability" vs "trade & tech" slider, in addition to the more advanced trade route manipulation/dominance mechanics that are actually coming in EU4.

...honestly, this could plausibly be moddable.

Sliders are awful and tweaking them isn't exactly compelling game play.
Where as monpoints sound like interesting compelling gameplay with options all the way down.

• Locked thread