Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008
From what I've done so far, you'll primarily be using block and Death From Above while squeezing in attacks of your own between the boss' to keep your Resolve up. Dodge is handy if you need to reposition yourself quickly(or you really need the iframes and DFA's down), but for the most part you're going to want to keep the target relatively still so the DPS can rip into it's back without having to run around all over the place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Totalizator
Nov 9, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
The common consensus is warrior is as good if not better for tanking then lancer, when played correctly, it's also much less common (because most warriors pick the easyier dps route or stick to pvp). Personally i never had a problem with a warrior tank.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Phosphia posted:

Yeah, it will. I'm assuming you can double it and it still happens twice on some days.

Three times on weekends, actually. They realized EU players are playing and added a 2am PST nexus - that'd be 10 am GMT on weekends, not too bad.

Right now there's 10 a week, looks like they're going to 12 total, with only Wednesday having none. Getting rid of the boons is nice too, they're just a nasty lag-generator. Maybe they can change the raid default to random instead of class-restricted rolls too, while they're at it.

I'm hoping the 120-player cap will help with the server lag - it's gotta be an N^2 problem with player density, and forcing them to spread out to different nexus means the same number of players require a lot less horsepower. Hopefully, at least.

Seemenaked
Nov 19, 2003

...but girls already have a vagina between their legs, so they don't gotta trick anyone...
MCNM was not as bad as I thought it would be. First two bosses go down pretty fast, I like the parasite thing on the second boss thought it was a neat idea and the hallway leading to queen is badass. It reminded me of some poo poo from like Mass Effect or Independence Day. The Queen fight things I need to work on are getting out of her bomb thing cause it always seems to sneak up on me. Her puddle thing she throws on the floor around you, dunno if you are supposed to backstep out of it (which seems like it's too short to clear) or charge out. Everything else is pretty easily manageable, debuffs were never an issue I have no idea what 1 2 or 3 does I just no they have different colors and the icons look slightly different. The last 8% all the melee ran away and the sorc destroyed her in no time at all. Overall I think it is actually easier than ACHM and less gimmicky. I liked that I had a whole room to run around instead of a tiny corner here and there. Looking forward to learning hardmode this weekend for double drops. I wanna get me a fancy vm weapon I decided, some queens wrath gear would be nice too.

Eigo
Mar 21, 2010
Goons, I'll be trying to get the terrible event hat with keys so if you want to sell them to me for 150-190 each that'd be swell! Ferret/Mecha in game.

e: I'm also desperate enough to pay 200, but please have mercy. 2640 EMP(50 keys) for 10k is also a thing I'd do.

Eigo fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Mar 14, 2013

Tensei
Nov 24, 2010

All the 8reaths. All of them.

Seemenaked posted:

MCNM was not as bad as I thought it would be. First two bosses go down pretty fast, I like the parasite thing on the second boss thought it was a neat idea and the hallway leading to queen is badass. It reminded me of some poo poo from like Mass Effect or Independence Day. The Queen fight things I need to work on are getting out of her bomb thing cause it always seems to sneak up on me. Her puddle thing she throws on the floor around you, dunno if you are supposed to backstep out of it (which seems like it's too short to clear) or charge out. Everything else is pretty easily manageable, debuffs were never an issue I have no idea what 1 2 or 3 does I just no they have different colors and the icons look slightly different. The last 8% all the melee ran away and the sorc destroyed her in no time at all. Overall I think it is actually easier than ACHM and less gimmicky. I liked that I had a whole room to run around instead of a tiny corner here and there. Looking forward to learning hardmode this weekend for double drops. I wanna get me a fancy vm weapon I decided, some queens wrath gear would be nice too.

She often does the immobilize (her 'shoulders' detach and fly in a circular motion in front of her, creating a circular AoE) combined with the puddle, which can trip up a lot of inexperienced tanks. The immobilizing attack is actually blockable, and the puddle itself isn't an instant kill or anything, so you can just backstep and walk out of it while taking some minor damage.

The bomb is all about learning the tell. She makes a particular kind of noise/growl before curling up, which is your cue to get the hell out. Using a +combat movement crystal is super helpful as well.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

Unoriginal One posted:

From what I've done so far, you'll primarily be using block and Death From Above while squeezing in attacks of your own between the boss' to keep your Resolve up. Dodge is handy if you need to reposition yourself quickly(or you really need the iframes and DFA's down), but for the most part you're going to want to keep the target relatively still so the DPS can rip into it's back without having to run around all over the place.
How do you hold Aggro? Whenever I had to tank something, it quickly ended up with the mob all over the place.

IRSmurf
Mar 27, 2010

I bought my first pack of three toolboxes tonight. The second one gave me an EX-TRM Mount. I listed it for ~15.8k. Should I hold on to it and wait for prices to climb or is it going to drop in value?

Eigo
Mar 21, 2010

IRSmurf posted:

I bought my first pack of three toolboxes tonight. The second one gave me an EX-TRM Mount. I listed it for ~15.8k. Should I hold on to it and wait for prices to climb or is it going to drop in value?

I'd probably be content with the 15k mark, it dipped as low as 12k earlier and it's risen and went stable around 12-15k since.

e: looks like it might still rise a little from the broker history, but I'd assume it wouldn't rise that much unless this event messes with the economy more

Eigo fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Mar 14, 2013

Tensei
Nov 24, 2010

BabyFur Denny posted:

How do you hold Aggro? Whenever I had to tank something, it quickly ended up with the mob all over the place.

Spam Torrent of Blows whenever it's off cooldown (it's effectively your main 'taunt'), and use Battle Cry as back-up taunt. If you still have trouble holding aggro consider equipping glyphs or crystals that increase your aggro generation.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
The gold to $ conversion is really poor for nearly everything on the item store but it depends a lot on how many people are selling.

Eigo
Mar 21, 2010
Wasted 140 keys and never got the alks, lost way more money than normal, and now keys cost 400-500 each. The server showed dozens of people getting stacks, really depressing I put 25k down and only made a 8k return or so.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Eigo posted:

Wasted 140 keys and never got the alks, lost way more money than normal, and now keys cost 400-500 each. The server showed dozens of people getting stacks, really depressing I put 25k down and only made a 8k return or so.

Keys will go down when everybody over level 30 gets 5.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
Stockpile keys at crash - Wait 1 month - Profit!

Last time they went down as low as 40G.

Seemenaked
Nov 19, 2003

...but girls already have a vagina between their legs, so they don't gotta trick anyone...
Poor Ferret,
I used 100 and got nothing so don't feel so bad.
I blame Desu, he jinxed us. Guy has 'no' in his heart.

Tensei
Nov 24, 2010

Seemenaked posted:

Poor Ferret,
I used 100 and got nothing so don't feel so bad.
I blame Desu, he jinxed us. Guy has 'no' in his heart.

Now watch me buy 10 keys and get 10k alkahests. :v:

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Why is this game so buggy

Crown Face
Sep 24, 2008
This just happened.

Got first place, 250 spellbind, 4 apothecary dyes, and he even threw in a me lucky hat because I was the only one there without one.

This is on Ascension Valley; he isn't too hard to find, I was all the way across Velika when he announced the clue for the second hiding spot, which was behind a bookshelf in Velika Consul.

It seems like he was spawning himself where there were the fewest players, so it's best to just keep wandering around the least populated areas of the city or the outskirts until he announces the clue.

Seemenaked
Nov 19, 2003

Server crash GG. Nexus was going smoothly too wtf. I was actually enjoying myself :(

Eigo
Mar 21, 2010
A few posts are saying a DDoS started before nexus even started, and only MT crashed.

Seemenaked
Nov 19, 2003

Today was full of disappointments. The lack of double drops today was upsetting, and no 1k alkahest for me either. Hoping the price of extensive will continue to drop so I can bank a bit for later usage. I do gotta admit nexus loving sucked before, but now it doesn't seem so bad. Grabbing the quests is annoying as hell but it's something I can get used to. I was really pissed when I missed grabbing the dungeon one but w/e there is always tomorrow or later on.

IRSmurf
Mar 27, 2010

Spent 10 to 15k on lockbox keys, today. After using all the keys, I ended up with 2k worth of junk, a one hour 50% XP boost and a one hour 100% xp boost.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

How necessary is Founders status as far as quality of life improvements go? I don't mind spending money on a game, but the Founders keys all seem to be ~$60. I get the feeling I could just use the premium store and get a lot of similar stuff for less than that.

Crown Face
Sep 24, 2008
I really like having founder status for the bank and character slots, and the faster mount makes Island of Dawn go by slightly faster for new characters, but I don't think it's worth it to pay $60 for just that.

You can always make multiple accounts to try out other classes and hold all your bombs, it's just obviously more inconvenient than being able to switch stuff between characters on the same account.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Crown Face posted:

I really like having founder status for the bank and character slots, and the faster mount makes Island of Dawn go by slightly faster for new characters, but I don't think it's worth it to pay $60 for just that.

You can always make multiple accounts to try out other classes and hold all your bombs, it's just obviously more inconvenient than being able to switch stuff between characters on the same account.

I made a bunch of alts when I started (deleting them as I went) to try out the basics of each class so I knew what I'd like. Honestly, the mount looks awesome and the 8 character slots would be nice for alt-itis, but character slots don't seem like they're that expensive in the shop and if I really wanted a (slightly less aweosme) permanent account wide mount I could still get that for less than $60.

I was just making sure there wasn't something super irreplacable I'd be missing out on by not dropping $60 on a Founders key.

Crown Face
Sep 24, 2008
Oh, well then there's nothing you need to worry about.

I once validated my entire existence around the fact that I had a little circle next to my name in the chat, but that's gone now, so you're missing absolutely nothing.

People are seriously raging out of their minds about that, though. I'll never understand these people.

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

I'm the type of pony everypony should know
The only thing founders was for back when f2p started was because of skipping queues. Now that the population has died out again thats not a problem. Getting a physical copy also gives you about 7000g worth of stuff and save you on bank slots and character slots. It might be cheaper to just buy those slots than paying 60 bucks. If you can find one for cheap out there still (was like 10-15 bucks last time I heard) then it might not be a bad investment if you like to make alts.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I'm level 39 now and I have an outfit that I want to be able to use as a template so I can rock my stuff when I get my level 60 armour. I know very little about armour templates, so how do they work? Can I apply the same template to a load of different armour sets, or is it a one-off thing?

Unfortunately, the outfit is mostly made up of bits that can't be stored in my Bank (why do they do this?!) so I have to carry it around with me, or just sell it and try to re-obtain it when I'm at 60.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Question Mark Mound posted:

Unfortunately, the outfit is mostly made up of bits that can't be stored in my Bank (why do they do this?!) so I have to carry it around with me, or just sell it and try to re-obtain it when I'm at 60.

I'm not certain of this, but in my low level experience it seems to mostly be stuff that binds on equip. Once it's bound, you can't bank it because the bank is shared between characters.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Zaodai posted:

I'm not certain of this, but in my low level experience it seems to mostly be stuff that binds on equip. Once it's bound, you can't bank it because the bank is shared between characters.
Ah, that kinda sucks. Would've been nicer if you could bank it and the other characters just couldn't withdraw or equip it. Oh well, I'll probably sell it to an NPC and get something similar down the line and dye it the right colour.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

I'm level 39 now and I have an outfit that I want to be able to use as a template so I can rock my stuff when I get my level 60 armour. I know very little about armour templates, so how do they work? Can I apply the same template to a load of different armour sets, or is it a one-off thing?

You can keep transferring the same appearance forward again and again.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

There is an equipment remodeler vendor in Velika that I found. It worked like transmute stones in GW2, choosing that option pulled up a window and in one slot I put the gear, and the other I put the visual model I want. Unless it's different for endgame gear, it should be fine as long as the visual piece says "can be used as a template" on it.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

FirstPersonShitter posted:

You can keep transferring the same appearance forward again and again.

Yeah this, if you don't like how your level 40 or 50-something stuff looks, use the 39 set to change that ones appearance, and so on, now using the adjusted 40 or 50-something set to change the level 60 one. Keep in mind a lot of blue/orange sets from lower levels get reused as white/green sets a higher levels. So it's entirely possible you could also find the same look as a bank storable outfit.

Also there's a remodeler in each of the three main cities, the guards can point you in your way by highlighting the location on your map.

Fixit
Mar 27, 2010
With the event that's going on, should I be using the keys I have accumulated since I started playing or sell them?

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

What happens in 3rd Street stays in 3rd Street.

Question to Slayers - does Heart Strike have this stupid minimum range thing or am I just incredibly bad at hitting with it? The attack seems pretty strong but if i'm in melee it'll always just go through the enemy unless I make an effort to step back before striking.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Fixit posted:

With the event that's going on, should I be using the keys I have accumulated since I started playing or sell them?

I would probably sell them they sell for ridiculous amounts right now. Like ~320g a key easily.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~

Thievery posted:

Question to Slayers - does Heart Strike have this stupid minimum range thing or am I just incredibly bad at hitting with it? The attack seems pretty strong but if i'm in melee it'll always just go through the enemy unless I make an effort to step back before striking.

Everyone seems to have issues with Heart Strike and I have yet to see what it is on my Slayer. I'm assuming it's a hitbox thing but my Slayer is Castanic and point blank I've never missed a Heart Strike yet. I'm at 43 or something so it isn't like I haven't been using it much either.

GabbiLB fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Mar 15, 2013

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Heart strike only seems to miss for me in groups. I can be doing it dead at a boss and it'll miss. I'm not even sure if it's really missing or if the number just doesn't come up. Very annoying though.

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

What happens in 3rd Street stays in 3rd Street.

My Slayer is human, so a bit bigger than Castanic. I don't know what the issue really is but I feel it's when i'm too close...though even with that said, i've had times where i'll step back but still miss with it even if it looks like i've hit dead on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crown Face
Sep 24, 2008
The most consistent range for hitting Heart Thrust on my male Castanic is around 5-8 meters, and I've heard from other people that it's around the same distance for other races.

When enemies are knocked down, though, it seems to be completely random whether or not it hits. I've had it miss on knocked down dungeon bosses when I'm standing inside of them, so I really have no idea what to think about the hitbox on it.

• Locked thread