Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

WITNESS THE POWER! posted:

Holy poo poo.

Someone got paid to make this. That's the first thing that always pops in my head when seeing terrible movie posters.

People keep singling this one out but independent of the quality of the movie it's advertising, it's really not that bad. Unique framing incorporating the title well, telling you what kind of movie it is. It's fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Young Freud posted:

Wait, I just remembered...

Pulp Fiction.

He's been wearing that jacket for almost twenty years.

They're all similar but definitely not the same. The Looper jacket has a mock neck and a chest pocket, while I don't believe the LFODH one has either. In Pulp Fiction he is wearing a bomber jacket and the leather is definitely different than the others - it looks almost like suede. The GI Joe jacket also looks like it has epaulets on the shoulders, too.

Where is that costuming thread?

Wendell
May 11, 2003

penismightier posted:

People keep singling this one out but independent of the quality of the movie it's advertising, it's really not that bad. Unique framing incorporating the title well, telling you what kind of movie it is. It's fine.

Sandler's expression is completely wrong compared to the rest of the dudes. Mainly because despite his mouth being open he isn't actually conveying an emotion. Other than that, yeah, it's fine.

casa de mi padre
Sep 3, 2012
Black people are the real racists!

Parachute posted:

They're all similar but definitely not the same. The Looper jacket has a mock neck and a chest pocket, while I don't believe the LFODH one has either. In Pulp Fiction he is wearing a bomber jacket and the leather is definitely different than the others - it looks almost like suede. The GI Joe jacket also looks like it has epaulets on the shoulders, too.
You mean Bruce Willis DOESN'T just wear the same jacket in every movie he's in?

Woo-ee! You could knock me over with a feather! I never realized!

ValleyOfWalls
Sep 26, 2005

Planned on starting a thread for pop art poster collecting, found there was already an open related discussion! Hopefully some will find this useful as a primer to the hobby.

Pop Art Poster Collecting:

As displayed in the Movie Posters thread, there are all sorts of fan made posters coming out these days. Most of these tend to abuse minamalist style and/or are made by art school students who seemingly haven't made it to their first class yet.

However, there are SOME (primarily released through galleries) that you might consider putting up on your wall. However, unlike most other posters sold online, those done for these gallery shows are normally limited in their sale runs. These runs normally total anywhere between 200-900 copies of a print. While this is artifical scarcity at its finest, it does mean that when you hang these on your wall you can more successfully delude yourself on your special snowflake status. Unfortunately, the limited runs also imply higher selling costs and significant aftermarket (ebay) prices.

Upcoming Shows/Drops

Bottleneck Gallery: Raid71 Solo Show - The Popular Face of New York (Opens 3/15 - Online Sale 3/16)

Mondo: Game of Thrones Show (Currently Open - Online Sale ??/??)

Mondo: Ken Taylor + Tyler Stout (Opens 3/15 - Online Sale ??/??)

Mondo: Mondo Presents Taxi Driver (Art by Martin Ansin) (Opens 3/20 - Online Sale ??/??)

Ltd Art Gallery: Mint Condition 2 (Currently Open - On Sale NOW)

Mark Englert: The Ancient One (Inspired by The Neverending Story, Online Sale NOW)

Notable Artists:

Martin Ansin

Ken Taylor

Tyler Stout

Olly Moss

Aaron Horkey

Laurent Durieux

Notable Links:

How to Ship a Poster
Expresso Beans Forum - As far as I know, the only forum completely dedicated to this hobby. May contain excessive image macro conversations.
Collider's Limited Paper - A blog that keeps pretty up to date with everything happening in the limited poster world.
Mondo Gallery - The most popular cinema pop-art gallery. New prints released online typically sell out in minutes.
Gallery 1989
Bottleneck Gallery

Glossary:

Drop: A poster release.
PB: Poster Buddy - Someone who buys and ships a poster to you at cost. Usually used if you personally cannot make a drop. You are expected to return the favor.
ISO: In search of - denotes a piece that you are looking for.
Flipper: Someone who buys a print with the express purpose of reselling it for more.
AP: The artists portion of a print run that they have to sell. Typically around 20% of the run total.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

casa de mi padre posted:

You mean Bruce Willis DOESN'T just wear the same jacket in every movie he's in?

Woo-ee! You could knock me over with a feather! I never realized!

Based on the recent discussion in General Chat involving the love of Hawaiian shirts and shorts as normal everyday wear, I assume details like that are usually overlooked.

Edit: Oh, you are the guy who posted about Crossfit women not wearing enough clothing in the YLLS picture thread, you're just a troll.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Parachute posted:

Based on the recent discussion in General Chat involving the love of Hawaiian shirts and shorts as normal everyday wear, I assume details like that are usually overlooked.

Edit: Oh, you are the guy who posted about Crossfit women not wearing enough clothing in the YLLS picture thread, you're just a troll.

Whatever this is, don't be bringing cross forum drama into CineD just for the hell of it.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Parachute posted:

It's not trolling to point out what a world-class :spergin: it is to point out that when people say Bruce Willis is wearing the same jacket in all these movies that he isn't literally wearing the same jacket each time.

StickyNavels
Apr 3, 2009
I think they're all kinda poo poo, except for the Taxi Driver one (though honestly, any still from that movie would probably look better than a paint-over) and maybe 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

I like the Mummy one, I still think the Jaws one is huge clusterfuck. Amity didn't look or feel like that at all, that's F Scott Fitzgerald's French Riviera. It goes coy and tries to be about the town, not the shark, but totally bungles the character of the town into some tired rear end generic old money beach scene.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Mister Chief posted:

Except for the poster that I originally posted which features a single character.

My statement was less factual and more comedic because of the company's many cast posters that don't try to tell you anything about the film save for "all these people were in it and are probably characters you recognize".

ValleyOfWalls
Sep 26, 2005

Another Mondo being released tomorrow at a random time (typically 10:50 CST in my experience). Hope you like landscapes and Game of Thrones.

Artist: JC Richard
Print Run: 365

ValleyOfWalls fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Mar 13, 2013

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Maybe I have no eye for art but I really like that Lord of the Rings poster. I mean come on it's got Bill the pony in it.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

ValleyOfWalls posted:

Another Mondo being released tomorrow at a random time. Hope you like landscapes and Game of Thrones.

Artist: JC Richard
Print Run: 365

Is it just me or is it meant to look like sprite art or is it just poor compression?

It would be interesting if (Book spoiler) they made one showing the aftermath of the Wildling attack to contrast with this. Of course he'd have to wait for it to happen in the TV show

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

You miss The Whole Nine Yards???

I am calling into question your ability to appreciate Bruce Willis. :colbert:

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Holy poo poo.

Someone got paid to make this. That's the first thing that always pops in my head when seeing terrible movie posters.

I watched about 5 minutes of this on FX the other day. One of the character made a joke about having sex with his wife while she was asleep, and the others agreeing it was okay. :stare: gently caress that movie.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

penismightier posted:

Even that article doesn't say the poster's bad, it's more making fun of Adam Sandler's tendency to exploit his own fame to make money for himself and his friends.

It's "fine" in the sense that it's exactly the same as the movie. Both were made to stroke Sandler's ego and line his and his friends' pockets with cash from stupid people.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I don't know, I think it looks pretty terrible in the fact that they're supposed to be falling through the air and Sandler is very obviously just sitting on something photoshopped out. Chris Rock and Kevin James at least look like they're jumping.

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

Tewratomeh posted:

Even that article doesn't say the poster's bad, it's more making fun of Adam Sandler's tendency to exploit his own fame to make money for himself and his friends.

It's "fine" in the sense that it's exactly the same as the movie. Both were made to stroke Sandler's ego and line his and his friends' pockets with cash from stupid people.

To add to this, redlettermedia did an amazing breakdown of Adam Sandler's scam in their review of Jack and Jill; http://redlettermedia.com/half-in-the-bag/jack-and-jill/

Its hilarious how he gets away with it.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747
I'm sure the $40m opening weekend and $162m domestic box office didn't scare away investors either.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe
That Grown Ups 2 poster is horrifying. Not in terms of quality, though it is mediocre, but in terms of the movie it's promising you - giant Ben-Hur style letters brazenly announcing the sequel to one of the worst blockbuster "comedies" ever, Sandler surfing across the image while sporting a a facial expression that I think is meant to approximate human joy; it tries to promise you a great time with old friends, it wants you to imagine a backyard barbecue with cold beer, lots of laughs, maybe a cool kiddie pool to beat the heat. But we know it's a revolting lie, which makes it even more offensive. It's really an asshair away from the Funny People fake posters:

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

I'd see 3 to 5 of those.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I'd see two and one of them is because of Dwayne Johnson.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I'd see two and one of them is because of Dwayne Johnson.

Is the other the robot one?

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!
I like how a bunch of purposefully terrible fake movies still look more appealing than Jack & Jill

Uatu The Lurker
Sep 14, 2003

I can say no more!
Already I have over stayed my time in this ephemeral sphere!

penismightier posted:

I'd see 3 to 5 of those.

Well don't leave us hanging.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

muscles like this? posted:

I don't know, I think it looks pretty terrible in the fact that they're supposed to be falling through the air and Sandler is very obviously just sitting on something photoshopped out. Chris Rock and Kevin James at least look like they're jumping.

It's amazing how :effort: Sandler is at actually acting in his cash-in movies. In Click they had the big, emotional climax of the movie take place outside in the rain so he wouldn't have to fake crying.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe
I'd see "Sayonara Davey"

In a way the Funny People posters are too good. They resemble real Adam Sandler movies so closely that they don't work great as parodies; and the posters are so well-made, they all communicate their premises perfectly. There should've been some that remind you of Sack Lunch from Seinfeld - where you just stare at it and wonder what the hell it could possibly be about.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Mister J posted:

Well don't leave us hanging.

Code Green, My Best Friend is a Robot, and The Champion are done deals. And if there was some buzz, I'd give Astro--Not and Little By Little a shot.

I am the lowest common denominator.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

penismightier posted:

Code Green, My Best Friend is a Robot, and The Champion are done deals. And if there was some buzz, I'd give Astro--Not and Little By Little a shot.

What if, instead, all these starred David Spade?

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

penismightier posted:

No you're not. I am. Jack and Jill is great, and is the best film about the sheer awfulness of Hollywood and the stupidity of audiences in a decade.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

MrBling posted:

What if, instead, all these starred David Spade?

I'd see every single one of them then, of course.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I'd see every single one of them then, of course.

We're in agreement then. Adam Sandler has stolen the career that should have rightfully been David Spades.

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?

Holy poo poo.

looks about right to me, why should they put more effort into the poster then they did into the movie?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The thing I find craziest about all this was that Sandler did Funny People which was literally about how lovely and empty those comedies he makes are and then he just keeps doing them. He has no ability for self reflection.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Paychecks For My Friends 2: the Fast-Foodening

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

muscles like this? posted:

The thing I find craziest about all this was that Sandler did Funny People which was literally about how lovely and empty those comedies he makes are and then he just keeps doing them. He has no ability for self reflection.

Or he just doesn't care.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Did they drop Rob Schneider? 'Cuz I seem to remember him being in the first one.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
It makes him tens of millions of dollars.

I would not give a poo poo either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

In the latest chapter of "As the Billing Turns" we notice someone whose star has slipped of late. See if you can spot who without me making this too huge...