Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

Win8 Hetro Experie posted:

malloc-like memory,

what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

maybe they mean an mmu or somethin??

also tef im just over in east bay if you want to have lunch, tho ive only been SAing regularly for like the last couple months (maybe thats a good thing)

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

iirc hennessy and patterson 4th ed had a bunch of stuff about the cell

edit whoops wrong one http://www.amazon.com/Computer-Orga...tion+and+design

i think

GameCube fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Mar 13, 2013

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

lol at people going on about computers of the future being all gpu and 128 stupid arm cores, intel will laugh all the way to the bank another decade at this rate

Tilera :getin:

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

tech geeks like to imagine that it is worth it to build a restrictive and inconvenient programming model if it yields high performance in theory, but it never actually works out because the hours of competent programmer time you have always bottlenecks the whole thing anyway.

gpgpu is really a bit of a success for a restrictive model, but they have had to generalize a *lot* to get to this point, and no one bothers going gpgpu outside of specialized computational cores anyway

the cell was always a stupid idea

Lol no. Programmer incompetence will always expand to fill the available clock cycles. It has nothing to do with whether the model is restrictive and inconvenient. We could have 100GHz single core machines and software would just be 50 times slower. I mean, look at how the web reacts to more people getting broadband, they just start shoving MBs of JS down to the client. CPU development should just stop, it gets us nowhere.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

that is simultaneously stupid and correct, one of the main payoffs with increases in performance is increases in productivity, which is an advantage that restrictive models with high performance not only lack but invert

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

yeah web dev sure has been a big payoff for users

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

that is simultaneously stupid and correct, one of the main payoffs with increases in performance is increases in productivity, which is an advantage that restrictive models with high performance not only lack but invert

Yeah, we can spend our time productively learning JQuery and CoffeScript instead of coding.

Squinty Applebottom
Jan 1, 2013

jquery owns tho?

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005
My lack of understanding is only exceeded by my lack of concern.

Zombywuf posted:

Yeah, we can spend our time productively learning JQuery and CoffeScript instead of coding.

well not everyone is an asperger math wizard, some people just want to make a fukin website, and jquery does a p good job of helping that happen

uG
Apr 23, 2003

by Ralp

polpotpi posted:

jquery owns tho?
webdev spotted

edit: i don't do webdev. i program computers.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

Zombywuf posted:

god forbid we have to learn soething

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

you know, continuous blocks of raw memory and pointers to read and write into it instead of all sorts of RGBA textures that you sample at linearly interpolated floating point texture coordinates

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
so a physical scheme that allows for programming languages to use a flat memory model. yeah, that's very nice to have.

Messyass
Dec 23, 2003

Anybody signing up for Google code jam? I did, but I'm not really a programmer. I only write some code once in a while so if I get past the qualification round it'll be a small miracle.

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

Otto Skorzeny posted:

so a physical scheme that allows for programming languages to use a flat memory model. yeah, that's very nice to have.

when you're trying to mold your particular problem into the shape of a vertex shader function feeding data into a geometry shader function feeding data back into another vertex shader function which feeds data into a fragment shader function which finally writes the data as colors to a texture and that's just the first pass and it's not even given that you can read from a texture inside your vextex shader functions, I can sympathize if someone would rather just write the whole thing in C

maybe OpenCL is the answer

Police Academy III
Nov 4, 2011

when you're trying to mold your particular problem into the shape of a vertex shader function feeding data into a geometry shader function feeding data back into another vertex shader function which feeds data into a fragment shader function which finally writes the data as colors to a texture and that's just the first pass and it's not even given that you can read from a texture inside your vextex shader functions, I can sympathize if someone would rather just write the whole thing in C

I used opencl once, it was pretty decent but a lot of boilerplate

Bream
Feb 3, 2013

Farmer's Barket

Isn't this the problem that Renderscript was supposed to solve? I mean, Android, but still.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

i was agreeing with you

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Zombywuf posted:

Lol no. Programmer incompetence will always expand to fill the available clock cycles. It has nothing to do with whether the model is restrictive and inconvenient. We could have 100GHz single core machines and software would just be 50 times slower. I mean, look at how the web reacts to more people getting broadband, they just start shoving MBs of JS down to the client. CPU development should just stop, it gets us nowhere.

you have identified the correlation and hosed the causation: we buy clock cycles specifically for programmers to fill them

we buy bigger, faster computers so we can spend less money on jackasses typing away at keyboards and jabbering about "object oriented message passing scalability beep boop"

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Reach true web scale today by running your application on Node.js and MongoDB.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

gucci void main posted:

its web scale.

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

Otto Skorzeny posted:

i was agreeing with you

oh.

well I generally hate to fall on the less_restrictions && more_general == better_than side so in this case i'm half disagreeing with myself purely on principle

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

one day, there will be people using an abstraction layer on top of opencl to write graphics code. they will drop down openCL when they want to get "closer to the metal".

it is coming.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
so long as man works in abstractions he will always be a slave to gods

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

PleasingFungus posted:

one day, there will be people using an abstraction layer on top of opencl to write graphics code. they will drop down openCL when they want to get "closer to the metal".

it is coming.

how soon

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
idris is cool

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Messyass posted:

Anybody signing up for Google code jam? I did, but I'm not really a programmer. I only write some code once in a while so if I get past the qualification round it'll be a small miracle.

i got a t-shirt last year! thanks for reminding me to sign up

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

gucci void main posted:

it works for trello!

Bream
Feb 3, 2013

Farmer's Barket
I was looking at a book about "Web Apps" today because I'm making a database skin at work, and I looked at the ToC and saw both node.js and MongoDB called out by name, and then I looked at the author bio on the back and it talked about how duder had written a js library and spoke at RoR conferences and I safely put the book back on the shelf and exited the application.

Why do people think that node.js is in any way desirable? Why in hell would anyone want to write server-side stuff in javascript, on V8 or otherwise?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
cause web "developers"

Bream
Feb 3, 2013

Farmer's Barket

quote:

Node.js is currently used by a number of large companies including LinkedIn,[8][9] Microsoft,[10] Yahoo![11] and Walmart.[12]

never mind, needs suited

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple on pizzadog derangement syndrome

Messyass posted:

Anybody signing up for Google code jam?

I'd rather die

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Bream posted:

I was looking at a book about "Web Apps" today because I'm making a database skin at work, and I looked at the ToC and saw both node.js and MongoDB called out by name, and then I looked at the author bio on the back and it talked about how duder had written a js library and spoke at RoR conferences and I safely put the book back on the shelf and exited the application.

Why do people think that node.js is in any way desirable? Why in hell would anyone want to write server-side stuff in javascript, on V8 or otherwise?

so I can not have to shift languages constantly when maintaining both ends of my application. same reason google made gwt or whatever that thing was that compiled java to javascript

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Bream posted:

idk I've spoken at ruby conferences (about compilers and data structures) and node,js is reprehensible and mongo is trash for idiot retard babyes

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

my team just took ownership of a node app and once you scrape away the bad decisions the original author made its not bad. I'd never use it for actual websites, but for little applications its fine.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Cocoa Crispies posted:

idk I've spoken at ruby conferences (about compilers and data structures) and node,js is reprehensible and mongo is trash for idiot retard babyes

yeah but you've spoken at ruby conferences so your opinion is suspect

Bream
Feb 3, 2013

Farmer's Barket

rotor posted:

so I can not have to shift languages constantly when maintaining both ends of my application. same reason google made gwt or whatever that thing was that compiled java to javascript

See now I think the stuff that compiles to JS is actually kinda cool, like emscripten. I also saw a book on coffeescript, but I decided I didn't feel like learning another language to solve a silly problem when it would be better for work if I could just do it faster. The coffeescript book had some serious webdev vibes to it as well, would that assessment be correct?

I just wish we had widespread nacl already. :(

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Bream posted:

See now I think the stuff that compiles to JS is actually kinda cool, like emscripten. I also saw a book on coffeescript, but I decided I didn't feel like learning another language to solve a silly problem when it would be better for work if I could just do it faster. The coffeescript book had some serious webdev vibes to it as well, would that assessment be correct?

I just wish we had widespread nacl already. :(

coffeescript is gay as heck. nacl seems neat, but also scary. if you want to run native apps in a browser, we already have an <object> tag, I suggest you use it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

note that 'gay as hell' is used here in the perjorative sense, not in the cool gay dude sense