Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Magres
Jul 14, 2011

TheSpiritFox posted:

This is amazing.

Man, I've seen it at least a few times before from the DaS thread, and it just never gets old. The switch from cheerful, jolly music to MURDERKILLMAIMKILLDEATHKILL is so good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Duke of Butts
Aug 9, 2008

by Ralp
Back in 2001 when I was 12/13 and just starting Middle School, I got really into this awful game called "Graal Online". It was basically a free MMO version of Zelda: A Link to the Past (From what I've heard, the creator even called it Zelda Online until Nintendo told him to stop) played mostly by teenagers. I never did much but now that I think of it, the game was filled with opportunities to make other players angry.

One feature of the game was the fact that players could design heads, weapon skins and clothing for characters which would then be uploaded to the game and available to change with a written command. There were hundreds of different designs and you could also change your name to anything you wanted at any given time. Both of these combined would make it incredibly easy to disguise yourself as a different player or keep people from knowing you were the guy who just hosed up their fun. I recall making one player particularly angry and he proceeded to change his name to something like "[my name] is a huge retarded human being who sucks". Not one to be outdone, I changed my name to "([my name] is a huge retarded human being who sucks) is an even bigger retard who sucks more".

It also had the ability for players to "pause" themselves in the game, becoming invincible but still able to communicate with people on the screen. It could also be used in combat, though few people did it because it violated the Internet Bushido Code. Anyone who paused in combat would quickly be barraged with insults. I never did this myself because I was still young enough to believe that netiquette was SUPER IMPORTANT and you had to play fair.

The game had free-for-all PvP and depending on the kind of players you killed, the color of your name would change. If you killed "evil" players, your name would get lighter until it turned gold. On the other hand, killing "good" players, or at least players who were less evil than you, would make your name darker until it became black with gold trim. Well, I was a young teen filled with angst and I decided I wanted that black name so everyone could see what a bad guy I was. I misunderstood how exactly the name changes worked and got an assistant who believed me killing him would make his name gold while mine would turn black. Eventually I got my black name but his was still the same color as when we started. Realizing I was wrong and accidentally tricked him, I ran away as fast as I could and changed my identity so he couldn't find me.

There was also another version of the game called "Graal 2001", I think (It was pay-to-play and I'm still annoyed with myself for getting my mom to buy me a years subscription that I only used for a week or so). In this version of the game, money was very hard to come by, as it didn't drop from grass or pots, so the way most beginners tried to get cash was through a really tedious method of harvesting wheat, carrying it through a maze of crops, pounding it into dough and putting it into an oven for just long enough to brown but not burn. For 2-3 minutes worth of this lovely work, you'd get a single "rupee". After amassing a fortune of 6 or 7 rupees, I was killed by another player who grabbed my stuff and told me that baking was retarded after I complained about the work I put into getting that money.

Pretty lame stories, I know, but I can't imagine how much chaos goons would cause in such a poorly designed game. Apparently it still exists as a Facebook game, but it probably got even worse, if such a thing is possible.

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!

The Duke of Butts posted:

After amassing a fortune of 6 or 7 rupees, I was killed by another player who grabbed my stuff and told me that baking was retarded after I complained about the work I put into getting that money.

I do this a lot in MUDs and it makes people even angrier than just getting robbed, it's great. At one point in HellMOO's history I was one of the strongest players on the server, and I'd ended up in a corporation that the rest of the server had declared war on. This meant I had an actual reason to murder everyone, instead of just doing it for laughs. Naturally, people who'd sunk hours and hours and hours of time into grinding didn't appreciate it when a huge abomination in high heels and a top hat would appear and headbutt them into the afterlife, dropping their xp back to whatever it was the last time they updated. This led to a lot of "omg im never going to be tuff if i keep getting ganked by faggots like u" pages. If I was feeling generous, I'd usually explain that hanging out in certain areas grinding the same mobs for hours and hours was a) an incredibly low amount of xp/money over time b) a great way to get murdered by prowling PVPers, especially ones who lived in the loving apartment building right above their grinding area c) boring as poo poo. Almost all the time, I'd find that same player back in the same spot within the next few days. Players are loving morons.

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato

The Duke of Butts posted:

Graal Online circa 2001
Somehow this still lives today, in 2007 the devs decided their aging Zelda ripoff wasn't profitable enough and made every new account from then on pay an MMO-priced monthly subscription fee (oldschool accounts remained unlimited access/free). Amazingly, it's unpopular as ever, though I hear an iOS version does well.

I'm here today to tell you about Trouble in Terrorist Town, a game mode for Garry's Mod with a neat premise (a large group of well-armed terrorists have to weed out an unknown number of 'traitors' among them before they kill them all), but as you'd expect from something hosted off GMod it's ruined by a community of insufferable babies. In their insane contradictory mess of widely-accepted houserules, using common sense is a bannable offense: killing someone on "suspicion" they mean you harm is against the rules, so if someone follows you across the map and into a dark alley and puts a shotgun to your head, you're expected to let them shoot you. It's a complete Dunning-Kruger shitshow and the only way to consistently have fun is messing with everyone as hard as possible, which is what goons do best.

http://youtu.be/xQnuBf02I0I is a hot-off-the-presses montage of killing time (and people) waiting for the traitors to act: flinging objects into their heads at 100 miles an hour.

http://youtu.be/t50CX-pCilQ - Further earlier adventures (that may have been posted earlier) of continually violating a pubbie's personal space until he went insane
http://youtu.be/wCk293JpgPc - Variety pack

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
TTT has one of the whiniest player bases I've ever seen. It's amazing how many people see a game of mystery and paranoia and want to reduce it to a series of carefully laid out rules. Goons like to lay out elaborate plans but people get so pissed at you just for playing the game well. Basically acting on circumstantial evidence is considered bad.

Say you've come across a body that was killed by a shot gun within the last minute. There's only 2 other players left at the most and one of them is right in the general area holding a shotgun. You shoot him and win since he was the traitor. Everyone gets pissed off because you didn't literally watch him murder anyone before you shot him.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Dr_Amazing posted:

TTT has one of the whiniest player bases I've ever seen. It's amazing how many people see a game of mystery and paranoia and want to reduce it to a series of carefully laid out rules. Goons like to lay out elaborate plans but people get so pissed at you just for playing the game well. Basically acting on circumstantial evidence is considered bad.

Say you've come across a body that was killed by a shot gun within the last minute. There's only 2 other players left at the most and one of them is right in the general area holding a shotgun. You shoot him and win since he was the traitor. Everyone gets pissed off because you didn't literally watch him murder anyone before you shot him.

I never heard of this game before but now I want to join in with a character named Shawn Spencer and pretend to be killing people based on information from my "visions".

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Dr_Amazing posted:

And so many servers have straight-up rules for stupid crap like that. "FREE-KILLER! KICK <Good Player>! :qq:" says the guy who just got popped after coming from a single entrance room that suddenly contained a dead innocent body.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
So it's Source Mafia but you have to stick to a weirdly irrational and deterministic ruleset.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Yardbomb posted:

And so many servers have straight-up rules for stupid crap like that. "FREE-KILLER! :qq:" says the guy who just came from a single entrance room that now contains a dead innocent body.

Retroactively use your victory as proof of his guilt. It's like Minority Report.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Zaodai posted:

Retroactively use your victory as proof of his guilt. It's like Minority Report.

That's always the best part of TTT games, just finding ways to game these servers spergy rules and piss off their regulars/donators.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
So wait, if you just go on a rampage and kill every other player, you should win, right? This is clearly the correct way to play, someone should spread the word.

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY

Yardbomb posted:

That's always the best part of TTT games, just finding ways to game these servers spergy rules and piss off their regulars/donators.

Almost all the ones with donators give them some kicks, which they will happily use on you. Its really like playing tag with that one cheating bastard kid on the playground that refuses to admit he was tagged. I imagine you could pull off a pretty hilarious longterm grief involving this and convoluted rules and procedures that everyone must undergo before firing their weapon in a counter strike mod, but it would be functionally indistinguishable from TTT anyhow.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

tomanton posted:

I'm here today to tell you about Trouble in Terrorist Town

I would have provided some TTT youtube videos but for the love of me I can't remember who made it or what it was even titled. I believe the best part of the video was someone saying "The Traitor is in my butt!".

The player's name was literally "in my butt" which was to purposefully make players say that.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

Dizz posted:

I would have provided some TTT youtube videos but for the love of me I can't remember who made it or what it was even titled. I believe the best part of the video was someone saying "The Traitor is in my butt!".

The player's name was literally "in my butt" which was to purposefully make players say that.

A quick Google search solves all problems!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6YVmBXUaRM

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato

Phobophilia posted:

So it's Source Mafia but you have to stick to a weirdly irrational and deterministic ruleset.
In one of my most mind-boggling standoffs with a pubbie to date, I witnessed him bungle a murder when his would-be victim blocked his shotgun blasts by closing a door. He was adamant me killing him was unjustified because since he never did any damage to the person his attempted murder hadn't truly begun. :confused:

Dizz posted:

That guy's a buddy of mine, he made a sequel video to it that's sort of bogged down by self-importance but is still a couple good minutes of me being a terrible detective and crushing innocents by landing on their heads. http://youtu.be/CKlAFvsq4BA

He also put together a pretty good video of the two of us terrorizing some roleplay servers in public service vehicles: http://youtu.be/U8MhTMOPI7A

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

tomanton posted:

In one of my most mind-boggling standoffs with a pubbie to date, I witnessed him bungle a murder when his would-be victim blocked his shotgun blasts by closing a door. He was adamant me killing him was unjustified because since he never did any damage to the person his attempted murder hadn't truly begun. :confused:

I am presently incarcerated, imprisoned for a crime I did not even commit. "Attempted murder," now honestly, did they ever give anyone a Nobel prize for "attempted chemistry?"
:qqsay:

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat

Dr_Amazing posted:

Yardbomb posted:

And so many servers have straight-up rules for stupid crap like that. "FREE-KILLER! KICK <Good Player>! :qq:" says the guy who just got popped after coming from a single entrance room that suddenly contained a dead innocent body.

tomanton posted:

People defend (attempted) murder like this and get rewarded by admins for that poo poo? :psyduck:

I mean, I'd play the hell out of this, but if self-aggrandizing folks get away with this kind of behaviour, they shoot themselves in the foot about the goddamn point of a murder mystery game.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Dinictus posted:

People defend (attempted) murder like this and get rewarded by admins for that poo poo? :psyduck:

I mean, I'd play the hell out of this, but if self-aggrandizing folks get away with this kind of behaviour, they shoot themselves in the foot about the goddamn point of a murder mystery game.

Trouble in Murder Mystery Mental Gymnastics Town could very well be the name of the game if it wasn't so long and badly thought out. Some (A lot) of the people who play it will pull the most rear end-backwards reasoning and rule-fuckery out on you to "win" or try and start an argument. The fun part is when you do the same right back to them once they get sufficiently angry at you.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Dr_Amazing posted:

TTT has one of the whiniest player bases I've ever seen. It's amazing how many people see a game of mystery and paranoia and want to reduce it to a series of carefully laid out rules.

Because 1) they suck at the game and 2) the only thing which is important is their enjoyment and their score.

You see them in every game, constantly making up bullshit rules to try and force everyone else to be weaker than them and create a situation in which they always win. No using rocket launchers, no using this machine gun, no running people over with jeeps, no laying down smoke in corridors, no attacking until you've bowed and satisfied e-honour, blah, blah, bullshit.

It's a pathetic attempt to overcome their inability to cope with and compensate for a changing, dynamic game world.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
I remember this kinda crap in Halo 2. There used to be a player made zombie game mode ( because there always is) where every player would start with a pistol and an energy sword and the zombies had to use the swords and the humans had to use the pistols or whatever weapons they could find on the map. Shields were turned and health was lowered ( i think? i am not aure if every gun could OHK with a headshot) making it piss easy to kill zombies, especially with headshots. Whenever you got eaten by a zombie you changed teams and then tried to eat people.

Of course, instead of playing this on a big map, and driving round in jeeps or something, players inevitably played this on small maps, one in particular which was like a training facility, which on its upper level had a series of storage rooms. At the beginning every human would rush to one of them (or not rush, if there was some sort of host enforced grace period) because it had poo poo loads of crates in it. Then they use melee attacks o jam as many of the crates into the door way as possible, making it nigh impossible for any zombies to get in, turning it into a shooting gallery for the players to freely pop zombies in the head and occasionally slip forward to get some dropped ammo, with zombies supposed to march up, try to bash physics objects and shot in the head. Do anything else? Get bitched at. Crouch while smashing crates out of the way? That was sacrilege topped only by using guns as a zombie. Or shoot other humans as a human? Oh boy would that cause some havoc, and inevitably make the 'unfairly' killed humans demand a ceasefire so they could get back into their fortress, only to be mowed down by the legion of zombies, who then demanded they switch teams. It'd only get worse until the host ended the game and kicked out everyone but his friends and or sycophants.

I cheat to win
Feb 26, 2013
Loving these TTT stories.
Once, on a server I visited regularly, there was a tradtition of "confirmmed inno": confirming your innocence by killing a traitor. I figured out that as a traitor, I could kill my allies and remove any possible suspicion, providing the perfect smokescreen for an easy win. There was no explicit rule againt this because this is emergent gameplay, this is what you play games for what the gently caress but the admins got pretty pissed anyway.
Another time, I just shot all players I encounterered (as an innocent) until I killed all traitors and the round ended. People were adding me just to call me out for being a scrub, and I would explain to them, "If I kill 100% of the players, I'll kill 100% of the traitors." They would get so exasperated. Eventually they banned me, but it didn't stick because none of the admins knew what they were doing, and I could immediately re-join and continue. It got to the point where the admin tried to negotiate with me. I just went with it, I don't know why I didn't get him to do something funny. I guess I was just amazed that this was actually happening.
The best part of TTT is that while these kids had all sorts of contrived rules, they had no knowledge of how to implement them in the actual game, just in whatever rules the admins could enforce. If you had another person around, and a passing knowledge of the rules, you could blow the game wide open. I'd say the apex of this would be DarkRP servers, which need to be discussed pronto. DarkRP could almost be its own thread.

ellbent
May 2, 2007

I NEVER HAD SOUL
Ah, TTT. I still remember some map where everyone always huddled up and followed the constantly yelling Serious Players to the one-entrance labyrinth filled with blind corners just because they contained a testing chamber. You know, because no fun allowed.

Right when the round started I just broke away from the group and went onto the roof of a house overlooking the bottleneck. Then I'd eat a sandwich and just wait five, ten minutes for the traitor to kill everyone to the chorus of the Serious Players barking orders and screaming increasingly loud.

Then the survivor inevitably would say something like "whew, just you and me, ellbent, tell me where you are so we can stick together" or "hey man let's go look for the traitor, where are you."

So I'd just shoot whoever left the door. Traitors lose!

Then everyone would yell at me for freekilling.

Occasionally someone would see me leaving the herd and declare me obviously the traitor, then encourage everyone to stay out of the testing area. So I'd shoot him. Traitors lose!

And yelling.

I cheat to win
Feb 26, 2013
Why did they even make traitor testers? Isn't the point of the game supposed to be detective work and paranoia? It'd be like SS13 with an onboard "make everything go according to plan" button.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
So what the gently caress? The entire team walks over to the testers, everyone finds out who the terrorists are, and they are summarily executed?

What a game.

rappinrodney.ogg
Apr 24, 2009

I cheat to win posted:

Why did they even make traitor testers? Isn't the point of the game supposed to be detective work and paranoia? It'd be like SS13 with an onboard "make everything go according to plan" button.

On some maps, it can be broken or it only really works for one person. They're dumb conceptually, but they also create a focal point for traitors to trap/kill innocents in. You can break it easily on the map ellbent mentioned if you can get there fast enough, too.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
It helps to create an objective for people to centre around. A lot of maps solve the problem by either requiring you to do stuff like spend credits or find items from around the map to power it up, or make it a tiny deathtrap of a room where a canny traitor can murder everybody.

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX

rappinrodney.ogg posted:

On some maps, it can be broken or it only really works for one person. They're dumb conceptually, but they also create a focal point for traitors to trap/kill innocents in. You can break it easily on the map ellbent mentioned if you can get there fast enough, too.

There was one map with three of them in one room and the option to close them was on the outside. What I usually did was lure three people into there and then close the tester door. At this point they're trapped in there until someone lets them out which, if you do it correctly, will never happen.

Needless to say this was the best map.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I cheat to win posted:

I'd say the apex of this would be DarkRP servers, which need to be discussed pronto. DarkRP could almost be its own thread.

I'd love to hear some stories along these lines. I went into one for maybe 10 minutes, had no idea what the gently caress, and left.

FUKKEN
Dec 27, 2007
PROTIP: To defeat the Cyberdemon, shoot at it until it dies.
I've been jumping in and out of griefing Trouble in Terrorist Town a lot. Trying to make pubbies angry is mostly painful and boring (at least for me), but whenever fun times happened I tried putting in a video. Here's a few of them featuring various goons:

"TTT is getting removed tomorrow" - said the administrator of a multi-mod server Stoned Potatoes after taking a fatal knife to his torso. This also features children that apparently are not kids and holding people hostage till the round ends.

Even more rounds held hostage, a goon codenamed DANNY screaming in his microphone as he goes on a killing spree and avoids a ban, sentient dumpsters and a prelude to people being relentlessly followed and stalked.

Trust building exercises, lots of people feeling uneasy having strange people follow them for rounds, police squads roaming the servers and telling people to drop their weapons.

The newest episode of people being followed and their reactions forever kept safe.

There's more stuff on the channel.

Defeatist Elitist
Jun 17, 2012

I've got a carbon fixation.

It honestly baffles me that they even add these rules. It's like they don't realize the game will balance itself out. I mean, I guess they're afraid that in order to win, people will just kill everyone in case they're a traitor, but on the other hand, in that case you're basically doing the traitor's job for them, and the traitor can kill you and get away with it because you were murdering everyone. Somebody mentioned earlier that it's because these people can't handle dealing with anything outside of a strictly defined ruleset, and as hard to believe as that might be, that's got to be what it is, I can't believe people can get much enjoyment out of (following) those rules.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Clerics in RIFT have a soul (talent tree) called Druid that is a sort of melee based pet/support class that had one fun griefing ability that they fixed a month or two ago. It was great while it lasted though.

The ability was called Fae Step and what it did was teleport an enemy directly to you on a 15 second cooldown. Pretty much every class (except mages I believe) have similar abilities, but Fae Step was special in that many enemies that were immune to the other abilities were not immune to Fae Step (possibly because the other abilities also had taunt components, forcing the enemy to target you, but Fae Step did not).

This ability could be abused in some fun ways on really anything that was permanently or temporarily stationary. Hunt rifts were fun as you could drag the bosses, which have to be killed with some speed and all put up damage reduction buffs that can only be removed by stationary turrets, away from the group that was killing them or even on top of the healers and ranged players when the boss was channeling an AOE centered on themselves. You could also drag them away from the turrets so they kept their damage reduction buff.

The best mob to use Fae Step on was Volan. Volan is a boss that spawns during a random time once per day. He drops more than twice as much world event currency (used to buy important gear even for top end raiders)as any other world event and when he is killed, he unlocks a bunch of quests that give reputation for one of the more annoying and important reputation factions for a couple of hours. In the last phase of the event, Volan is stationary in the middle of the Biofoundry (the zone he unlocks for 2hrs by knocking down the wall) surrounded by some buildings that you can stand on that have turrets as well as allowing you to jump on his back (jumping on his back so many times earns an achievement). Pretty much every max level character on at the time is in the area fighting him, so there is a large amount of lag. Normally, he does not move at all and does not have an aggro table. He just uses a bunch of scripted AOE attacks that target specific areas around him.

Using Fae Step on Volan, I would drag him out of the Biofoundry and around Ashora, forcing most of the players on the server at the time to follow me around. As Volan was not scripted to move during this phase and had no aggro target, he would stand in his new position and continue to AOE people. There were many area-wide yells about "OH NO Volan is running away!" and "OMG stupid druids, stop that!" and people just getting angry about missing out on certain achievements that required the use of mechanics broken by the kiting. It was my hope that I could one day convince enough druids to line up and chain-teleport Volan all the way into one of the lower level zones, preventing him from being killed before the zone event timer ran out and getting to see what happens when the event fails. Trion disabled and then fixed Fae Step in a couple of hotfixes before I could organize such a glorious thing.

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY

Defeatist Elitist posted:

It honestly baffles me that they even add these rules. It's like they don't realize the game will balance itself out. I mean, I guess they're afraid that in order to win, people will just kill everyone in case they're a traitor, but on the other hand, in that case you're basically doing the traitor's job for them, and the traitor can kill you and get away with it because you were murdering everyone. Somebody mentioned earlier that it's because these people can't handle dealing with anything outside of a strictly defined ruleset, and as hard to believe as that might be, that's got to be what it is, I can't believe people can get much enjoyment out of (following) those rules.

I once got on a TTT server and tried to explain this. I pointed out that the only rational thing to do, since this was a zero sum game, is to kill anyone I think might be the traitor before they can kill me. As all non traitors are rational actors I fully expect each of them to attempt to kill anyone they think might be the traitor. As a traitor I would in turn want to kill non traitors, so I should do that. The only logical conclusion was to open fire on people, the odds are that the nontraitors will win by having more bodies.

I then was kicked for RDMing.

The same type of people who play TTT also tend to like Jailbreak servers on CS, and holy poo poo does that take a special brand of sick to enjoy.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Red_Mage posted:

The same type of people who play TTT also tend to like Jailbreak servers on CS, and holy poo poo does that take a special brand of sick to enjoy.

Jailbreak is another mode where basically the main goal is to make the power-tripping kiddies who always end up taking authority roles blow their loving top. Bonus points for every "I'M CALLING THE ADMIN, YOU'RE GETTING BANNED <Good Player>! :qq:" you can get out of them. Which if you're any good at Counter-Strike, isn't hard to do. Since most people on those servers are usually terrible at actual Counter-Strike gameplay, just grab a pistol or rifle when nobody's looking, mow down the spraying guards, Prisoners Win!

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Mar 14, 2013

Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

Mod Secrets #614 - Experto Crede is the one who bought most of those frog avatars

Red_Mage posted:

I once got on a TTT server and tried to explain this. I pointed out that the only rational thing to do, since this was a zero sum game, is to kill anyone I think might be the traitor before they can kill me. As all non traitors are rational actors I fully expect each of them to attempt to kill anyone they think might be the traitor. As a traitor I would in turn want to kill non traitors, so I should do that. The only logical conclusion was to open fire on people, the odds are that the nontraitors will win by having more bodies.

I then was kicked for RDMing.

The real, honest goal is to try to catch the traitor with a minimal amount of innocents dying. If you cut to the metagame and just kill everybody else until you kill the traitor, you "won" the roundtype but you're still a dick

It's a lot like SS13 in that respect, because you cut straight to the metagame there's usually ways to foolproof win a round if you're skilled enough. The difference between TTT and SS13 is that the difference in metagamey unfun stuff like that is the difference in overall skill. It takes a real knowledge of clunky and obtuse gameplay mechanics to do that in SS13, it takes pointing and clicking a mouse button in TTT.

You don't want to toss people into tubes one after another until you find the traitor, you bring a suspected traitor into the tube and let them go if they're clear. You can DNA test guns and disarmed C4 and other stuff to find out who held it and bring them in that way. If they don't comply/open fire, you shoot them. It isn't "emergent gameplay" to just shoot people, because you're going against one of the rules that's essentially impossible to enforce in any strict binary win/lose way without it being exploited by the same people that grief a server by RDMing, only this time everybody gets a "TERRORISTS WIN" splashscreen. The only other real way to enforce it is by rewarding people who find traitors without killing them, or kill traitors after being fired on, and neither matters to the people that aren't playing to get rewarded for those things.

I really like the concept of TTT because it is a lot like SS13, but in a first person shooter, which is even more fantastic because you can't see in a 40 square radius around you to figure out who did what just now. It doesn't have be done as straight RP because that would be exceedingly dumb, it's not just the end goal that makes the game fun. Some people have fun with trying to figure out whodunnit even without the extensive, diverse options that other similar games give, but the fun part is figuring out whodunnit.

I've literally never played a game of TTT, though, this is just going by what I've picked up from the griefing videos and the time I've poked around in SS13. I guess what TTT needs to be more fun is more sperg, not less of it. Until you end up with chemists that can spawn Tanks from L4D2 as playable characters because one rear end in a top hat that's a traitor also spawned in the medlab of Terrorist Town

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

Yardbomb posted:

Jailbreak is another mode where basically the main goal is to make the power-tripping kiddies who always end up taking authority roles blow their loving top. Bonus points for every "I'M CALLING THE ADMIN, YOU'RE GETTING BANNED <Good Player>! :qq:" you can get out of them. Which if you're any good at Counter-Strike, isn't hard to do. Since most people on those servers are usually terrible at actual Counter-Strike gameplay, just grab a pistol or rifle when nobody's looking, mow down the spraying guards, Prisoners Win!

Yeah I jumped on a Jailbreak server one time. I had no idea what was going on, I saw a gun room and ran into it and grabbed a gun and started shooting people. In about 30 seconds everyone was dead but me and I got kicked and banned, and only after having read some stuff about those servers on here did I have any idea what I stepped into. I'm not even sure if I was a guard or prisoner.

Holepunchio
May 31, 2011

Defeatist Elitist posted:

The game actually has a system for balancing this called the Karma system. Every map you start off with 1000 karma. Kill innocents as innocents you lose karma, kill traitors as innocents you gain karma. The lower your karma the less damage you do, and with low enough karma anyone can kill you penalty free. Basically if anyone really did go a few rounds killing innocents they become a mild nuisance you can kill freely. I've never actually seen this happen, because after someone kills 1 or 2 innocents they're kicked/banned.

SpookyLizard posted:

Halo 2 Zombies
That reminds me of a variation of this as a CS:S mod. In this version zombies have a lot of health and knives only but humans have infinite ammo and the guns deal ridiculous knockback. Fly-across-the-map type knockback. There are basically 2 ways to play, find your favorite vent or crawlspace and blast zombies away forever or find a room, pile furniture at a doorway and make the zombies claw a crawlspace to get blasted away from. Really, only the way humans lose is if other humans gently caress with them, which seems to happen a lot as only griefers and carebears play this mod. What I used to do was find the biggest crowd of roomcampers and join them. When the round started I'd hang around the barricade and let another zombie infect me through the gaps. While its easy to blast a zombie away forever when they're outside the room its hard to stop them when they're in the room with you.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Dickweasel Alpha posted:

I've literally never played a game of TTT, though, this is just going by what I've picked up from the griefing videos and the time I've poked around in SS13. I guess what TTT needs to be more fun is more sperg, not less of it. Until you end up with chemists that can spawn Tanks from L4D2 as playable characters because one rear end in a top hat that's a traitor also spawned in the medlab of Terrorist Town

Some servers have custom weapons that add a lot to the game (Though there are often as many bad weapons as good.) One of the servers I frequent has a silent gun that turns people into angry, violent chickens after a short time.

The biggest problem with TTT is bad players want to kill all the traitors/innocents but are much too stupid to be able to do so and thus make up a bunch of terrible rules that only benefit them.

*Edit*

Holepunchio posted:

That reminds me of a variation of this as a CS:S mod. In this version zombies have a lot of health and knives only but humans have infinite ammo and the guns deal ridiculous knockback. Fly-across-the-map type knockback. There are basically 2 ways to play, find your favorite vent or crawlspace and blast zombies away forever or find a room, pile furniture at a doorway and make the zombies claw a crawlspace to get blasted away from. Really, only the way humans lose is if other humans gently caress with them, which seems to happen a lot as only griefers and carebears play this mod. What I used to do was find the biggest crowd of roomcampers and join them. When the round started I'd hang around the barricade and let another zombie infect me through the gaps. While its easy to blast a zombie away forever when they're outside the room its hard to stop them when they're in the room with you.

Zombie games that aren't supported by actual zombie game modes are universally terrible. I tried one in Metal Gear Online when it was still running and it featured 10 people with various rifles/shotguns etc waiting for 1 player with a knife to try to get on the platform they were on top of. It was awful.

Improbable Lobster fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Mar 14, 2013

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Improbable Lobster posted:

Zombie games that aren't supported by actual zombie game modes are universally terrible. I tried one in Metal Gear Online when it was still running and it featured 10 people with various rifles/shotguns etc waiting for 1 player with a knife to try to get on the platform they were on top of. It was awful.
Unofficial modes that actually have scripting seem to be the wildcard. TF2's zombie mode is either fun or absolutely unplayable depending on the map, the current version of the mod, the server, the players, and probably the alignment of Mercury. The best "grief" on that is winning with absolutely zero effort if someone forgot to update zf_trainworks, because you can sticky jump to a place where the zombies can't reach and can't hurt you. It was patched out years ago but since it's an unofficial mod you have to manually update it. Or going outside the map on the map that lets you do that, but at least zombies can still get you as long as they know the trick.

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007

Dickweasel Alpha posted:

I've literally never played a game of TTT, though, this is just going by what I've picked up from the griefing videos and the time I've poked around in SS13.

Wait, so you decided that TTT was just like this other game you play in concept, without having ever actually played it? Its not a cool "emergent gameplay" game AT ALL. Its a neat rulesset for Counter Strike that idiots have glommed on to.

So here's the thing about TTT, some maps have cool forensic poo poo, and traitor testers, and all that what not. And yeah, I guess if you want to gently caress around with Garry's Mod's loose approach to interactive objects and customs scripts, you could kind of replicate space station 13. But there are a great many maps that don't have that poo poo, they have some trap rooms sometimes, to let the traitor kill people without them knowing, or environmental hazards, but that's it. The karma system built in punishes you for killing innocents, but its still a good policy (and fun) to shoot at someone acting suspiciously.

It can, if playing with friends, make a fun cat and mouse game because you don't want to open fire to soon (people might think you are the traitor) or anything like that, but as soon as you get the random people who seek that sort of game out, it just goes straight to "YOU ARE FREEKILLING BAN BAN BAN" in a heartbeat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlueDestiny
Jun 18, 2011

Mega deal with it

This is the correct way to play TTT:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOq6yLlLbkg

• Locked thread