Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Noni posted:

This is the awful Kickstarter thread, not the "Tearfully Sad Comment on the State of Public Funding for Scientific History, Education, and Research" thread. Jesus, that's depressing. It's even more depressing when you realize that they probably chose Indiegogo instead of Kickstarter specifically because they think it's going to fail and would rather just have the flexible funding (nonprofits are fine on Kickstarter as long as they're not after general funds but money for a project).

This is like seeing a former professor of yours panhandling in the streets. You pass him and only just barely recognize his bearded face behind the filth. "I'll... I'll suck your dick for ten bucks." He says. You tell him your name. You tell him that you were once a student of his and he was once your favorite teacher, who inspired you and thousands of others to do and learn great things. You wait for some sort of explanation, but he only barely mumbles something about losing Pluto and then replies, "Okay. Then I'll suck your dick for five dollars."

The loving Lowell observatory, a national landmark, shouldn't have to whore itself out for money among the filth at Indiegogo.

If it makes you feel any better, think of it this way. You're working at Walmart slaving away for minimum wage and your professor is making more by panhandling outside of it than you are working there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

DoctorPresident posted:

I wish I could spend my whole life finding hack artists on KickStarter:

You probably already do if you consider most of these people are on some form of disability or SSI or government assistance because they are crazy.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

AxeManiac posted:

You probably already do if you consider most of these people are on some form of disability or SSI or government assistance because they are crazy.

Finding, not funding.

You know what would be fun? Convincing people you know with questionable artistic talents to start a Kickstarter/IndieGoGo and seeing how much they make. I might give it a shot later.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Finding, not funding.

You know what would be fun? Convincing people you know with questionable artistic talents to start a Kickstarter/IndieGoGo and seeing how much they make. I might give it a shot later.

That's not touching the poop. That's poopsmithing.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Volcott posted:

That's not touching the poop. That's poopsmithing.

It also runs the horrible risk that their thumbnail image for the project will be a foxgirl or a pony and the internet hivemind will throw $200,000 at them and they'll acknowledge you at every opportunity as the one true friend who believed in them enough to give them that initial push which led to them becoming a breakout internet sensation.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
So the director of the old Veronica Mars TV show launched a Kickstarter campaign to raise $2m to 'convince' Warner Bros to greenlight a Veronica Mars movie and they flew past that goal in less than half a day. Apparently WB are already on board and the film looks set to be made.

However certain media outlets are already suspicious that the project was always going ahead and the KS project was just an early promotional campaign.

The video was pretty cool either way, I guess. :shrug:

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Why would WB suddenly fund a movie now when the show has been off the air a while, and not sooner after the show was cancelled? The fans sent a pallet full of Snickers bars to the people in charge in hopes of saving the show, back when it was cancelled and that didn't help..

So unless there is evidence otherwise, I don't see anything to be cynical about

Salt n Reba McEntire
Nov 14, 2000

Kuparp.
That's a rather nifty method of advertising. It's relatively cheap, their name gets everywhere because 'they've broken records', everybody and their dog is talking about KickStarter nowadays, and the final laugh at our expense - the people who legitimately donate are just handing them money. For free. Well, for a pdf and some promotional material. Good job they've already thinned out the upper tiers, as having a hundred and ten or so gonks with poor financial instincts flood an after show party in the hope of sniffing Kristen's chair would probably be tiresome.

Salt n Reba McEntire has a new favorite as of 12:44 on Mar 14, 2013

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Maybe Mitchell Hurwitz should follow suit so he can get that Arrested Development movie made.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

quote:

What is it with these weird board games based on things like having a vacation with your family or visiting theme parks with your family? They always make me think of a really depressed household that's too boring to do fun things, so they pretend they're doing fun things instead.

Wouldn't you rather have your kids pretend to be ruthless capitalists or conquer Eurasia instead of mundane crap you could be doing ala driving to see The World's Biggest Ball of Twine?

Pages ago but: a friend of mine is a professional boardgame designer and once talked about this phenomena. Every few years, someone from outside boardgaming with no real idea of what other games are already out there with show up with a game design. There will some hagiographic coverage from the popular press ("This mother of three was inspired to create her game while entertaining her children ..."). It will usually be about some real world subject ("I thought, why has no one done a game about the London underground / driving a cab around town / travelling across America ...") even though there may be dozens of pre-existing games on the topic. And the games are usually poor.

Which is not to say that non-professionals can't design games and they can't be good. But people should at least do their research beforehand.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I haven't been following that Veronica Mars KS apart from finding out that it shattered the 24 hour 1-million-dollar funding record (previously held by the new Torment?), but I heard that it's somewhat sketchy because the profits are all going to Warner-Brothers anyway? Or something like that

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
Soiled Meat
Help a multi-billion media giant down on its luck fund its next low-budget film! Kickstarter no longer has anything to do with its original mission statement.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I haven't read in depth but I think the deal is since WB retains rights this KS is a shot in the dark to impress them, the idea being they will more than match funds if the interest check gets their attention.

A lot of people are crying foul because they think the popular football jocks are honing in on the cute dorky chick who let down her hair and took off the glasses. Crowdfunding is always going to be a last resort measure for Hollywood studios. Have you heard of Hollywood accounting? Do you really think they even want you anywhere near their books?

My only issue really is that this KS in particular is essentially a pitch KS and does not promise anything so much as the time of day from WB. The cast and crew may be on board but rights will always be an issue, let's not pretend this is going to lead to Twin Peaks season 3 anytime soon

Young Freud posted:

Maybe Mitchell Hurwitz should follow suit so he can get that Arrested Development movie made.

I'm gonna be an iconoclast and say I want to see a The Killing Kickstarter. Because TVIV members will drink themselves to death

Alan Smithee has a new favorite as of 14:01 on Mar 14, 2013

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
While big studios making Kickstarters is somewhat problematic, this is pretty much the first time customers can actually "vote with their wallet" before the production.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

steinrokkan posted:

Help a multi-billion media giant down on its luck fund its next low-budget film! Kickstarter no longer has anything to do with its original mission statement.

It is simple really. WB doesn't want to fund a Veronica Mars movie because they don't think there is an audience for it. So we can either continue to have no movie, or the fans can help make it happen via kickstarter. Kickstarter is turning out to be much more useful than its original mission statement.

Alan Smithee posted:

I haven't read in depth but I think the deal is since WB retains rights this KS is a shot in the dark to impress them, the idea being they will more than match funds if the interest check gets their attention.

Not quite, they got approval from WB to make the kickstarter, and WB said that if they raised the 2+ million then WB would distribute the movie and help advertise it.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Another bonus of this funding model is that the money is coming from donors and not investors so the production company would keep a bigger slice of the profit than usual, assuming they make one. They'll have to send DVDs to perhaps a few tens of thousands of people as part of the pledge rewards but I think they'll still be coming out ahead.

Oasx posted:

Not quite, they got approval from WB to make the kickstarter, and WB said that if they raised the 2+ million then WB would distribute the movie and help advertise it.

I guess it might be possible to make a fly-by-the-pants beg-borrow-and-steal-all-the-equipment feature film for $2m that didn't look like poo poo but that's an incredibly small budget for a Hollywood film. (They'll definitely make more than that but they couldnt know that when they started the project.)

Alan Smithee posted:

Crowdfunding is always going to be a last resort measure for Hollywood studios. Have you heard of Hollywood accounting? Do you really think they even want you anywhere near their books?
What are the chances that Warner Bros will eventually announce that they've been blown away by all this support and they're going to fully fund the project themselves and the Kickstarter project will be cancelled at the last minute?

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
The most baffling thing about the Veronica Mars Kickstarter is the fact that there's people willing to PAY thousands of dollars to be an uncredited, unpaid extra.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I guess it might be possible to make a fly-by-the-pants beg-borrow-and-steal-all-the-equipment feature film for $2m that didn't look like poo poo but that's an incredibly small budget for a Hollywood film. (They'll definitely make more than that but they couldnt know that when they started the project.)

I don't know what budget the show had, but I don't imagine it cost a whole lot, and apart from Kristen Bell (who is probably willing to take a big pay cut to make this happen), the other actors haven't really done anything major since the show ended, so you could probably make a decent VM movie for 2 million. But obviously it is good that they are getting more money than they aimed for.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Blast Fantasto posted:

The most baffling thing about the Veronica Mars Kickstarter is the fact that there's people willing to PAY thousands of dollars to be an uncredited, unpaid extra.

Someone paid $10,000 to have a speaking role in the movie and say exactly three words: "Your cheque, sir." There's no guarantee that the line or even the scene will make the final cut.

BoutrosBoutros
Dec 6, 2010
That's a great (and loving expensive) shortcut to getting a SAG card I guess.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Help this man publish his book on Amazon.

Terrible English, excusable on its own except he seems entirely capable of writing something legible based on his speech in the video. Terribly vague description and according to the video the whole thing is a way at "getting revenge" for some politician ruining his life. Part of the funds will go towards a copy editor, and boy does he seem to need one. He also hopes to get some time on Ellen or Oprah.

Rewards: $5. Feel good about yourself
$15. Meet for coffee and snacks! If not in SF Bay area, you get an email.
$25. Same as $15 but with a signed book. No mention of which book though. Maybe it will be something that is actually good?

Machai has a new favorite as of 16:31 on Mar 14, 2013

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

steinrokkan posted:

Kickstarter never said they were only for small time people doing small projects. Their original mission statement was just to hook up People Who Want To See Thing Happen with People Who Want To Do Thing.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!

steinrokkan posted:

Remind me again who loses in this scenario, i.e. why you're complaining about it?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Orzo posted:

Remind me again who loses in this scenario, i.e. why you're complaining about it?

Everyone with taste loses, because this Kickstarter should have been for a sequel to Dredd. :colbert:

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Someone paid $10,000 to have a speaking role in the movie and say exactly three words: "Your cheque, sir." There's no guarantee that the line or even the scene will make the final cut.
Hollywood is full of stories of how someone got their first break in some bit part and went on to become a super star. The entire idea that all you need is that foot in the door to make it big fuels practically their entire industry. They could have doubled it and had someone pick it up.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
The Veronica Mars is easy money for WB, get movie funded, and then sell the home media, win, win.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Orzo posted:

We lose because of the Man and stuff. Only indie things should be funded through Kickstarter, like my upcoming balloon fetish visual novel for OUYA.

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Man this Veronica Mars movie has been brewing for a long time. I'm surprised WB thought that there wasn't a strong interest in a movie before when the kickstarter barely started a day ago and its already 750k past the original goal of 2 million. If donations keep coming, then the final budget will probably be around 4, maybe even 5 million from kickstarter donations alone. Though I guess someone had to show WB that they were wrong about interest for the movie.

Why IS there such a big interest in a Veronica Mars movie anyway? Did the shower never get a proper series finale, or is it just that popular?

Vietnamwees has a new favorite as of 20:59 on Mar 14, 2013

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Orzo posted:

Somebody likes something, time to complain on the internet about it!

I think it is cool fans get to see a movie made when before all they could do is write letters and hope somebody cares, now you just send a bunch of money to people and all of the sudden they care and now maybe we can get a proper ending to the TV show Alf.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!

AxeManiac posted:

I think it is cool fans get to see a movie made when before all they could do is write letters and hope somebody cares, now you just send a bunch of money to people and all of the sudden they care and now maybe we can get a proper ending to the TV show Alf.

$15,000
In addition to all of the above rewards, we'll fly Alf puppeteer Paul Fusco directly to your home for a photoshoot where Alf is eating your cat!

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

AxeManiac posted:

$200
You'll get the complete DVD release of ALF: Bounty Hunter, the short-lived 2002 HBO & BBC show, completely uncensored.

$500
We'll name a biolord after you! No guarantee he'll have a line before ALF soulblasts him into the nether regions of Melmac!

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Thank you Kickstarter, now we can make sequels, remakes, and spinoffs without those mean old studios getting in the way :jerkbag:

duralict
Sep 18, 2007

this isn't hug club at all

Vietnamwees posted:

Why IS there such a big interest in a Veronica Mars movie anyway? Did the shower never get a proper series finale, or is it just that popular?

I think a lot of Kickstarter backing is aspirational. There's definitely a solid core of absolutely rabid Veronica Mars fans (it was a really good show, for at least one full season), but I think the bulk of these backers are thinking in terms of "if this works maybe all these other shows I like even more will try it too!"

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Orzo posted:

$15,000
In addition to all of the above rewards, we'll fly Alf puppeteer Paul Fusco directly to your home for a photoshoot where Alf is eating your cat!

Kickstarter? More like DREAMMAKER!

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

pathetic little tramp posted:

$200
You'll get the complete DVD release of ALF: Bounty Hunter, the short-lived 2002 HBO & BBC show, completely uncensored.

$500
We'll name a biolord after you! No guarantee he'll have a line before ALF soulblasts him into the nether regions of Melmac!

Actually, this might be a valid way to get some old TV shows on DVD that are afraid of shelling out music rights without knowing if the sales will support it.

Daria with ALL ORIGINAL MUSIC INTACT?! I'd kickstart that!

Seriously, Viacom, you're insanely rich, why did you cheap out for "sound-a-likes" and covers?! gently caress you! :mad:

Everything Counts
Oct 10, 2012

Don't "shhh!" me, you rich bastard!
They didn't get to be insanely rich by spending money on licensing fees.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

AxeManiac posted:

Kickstarter? More like DREAMMAKER!

For only $20 you can smoke crack and have sex with Max Wright (includes cost of crack)

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

If only Bob Crane were still alive, he could Kickstart a whole bunch of Hogan's Hoebags sex tapes to prove to Vivid there's interest.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

AxeManiac posted:

the Bitcoin thread posted:

Too bad Alf is not longer on the air.

Willie: (yelling) Alf, what are you building?
Alf: What?
Willie: You know what. The computer looking contraption.
Alf: Oh! That thing. It's nothing.
Willie: Well, that nothing sure is making a lot of noise.
Alf: What?
Willie: (yelling) I said that thing is making a lot of noise.
Alf: You've been dating a lot of boys? I suggest you not tell Kate.
Willie: (unplugging the machine) That ain't what I said. Now what are you doing.
Alf: If you must know, I'm hashing money.
Willie: Really! Hash and money just doesn't sound like something we should be doing in my law abiding home.
Alf: Contraire, Willie. I'm hashing money in the garage.
Willie: Fine! How does it work.
Alf: I don't know, but last month I, I mean we, made an extra $247.
Kate: (enters the garage with a frown on her face) Willie, have you seen this month's electric bill? It looks like it's $263 more the previous month.
Willie: Alf!
Alf: Don't look at me. I don't have a clue as to what the other $16 could be contributed to.
Kate: What is going on here, and why are there pictures of some Japanese guy hung on all the walls with a burning candle in front of them?
Willie: I've seen that guy before.
Alf: Where? There's some things I want to ask him. By the way, since you're going to find out anyway when you get your credit card statement, I pre-ordered something.
Willie and Kate (in unison): What is it?
Alf: I don't know. The details were a little sketchy, but trust me.
Brian: (enters the garage) Dad, a couple guys in black suits just drove up in a black car.
Alf: Quick! Hide the rig.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009

Orzo posted:

$15,000

Aren't Kickstarter pledges limited to $10,000 though?