Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Oprah Haza posted:

Just... stop.

I don't know how to elaborate on what I mean. I just think that most things shot dead central with no symmetry lack a bit of something. Imagine people liking different stuff :eyepop:

E: I like central stuff horizontally though. I really dunno why I don't like them that much.

E2: I mean inanimate objects in the centre of the frame. I wish I could elaborate but I just don't like it. It's frustrating not being able to express what I mean clearly hahaha loving hell.

Bape Culture fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Feb 28, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

I've finally come to grips with the fact that the sky fucking fell.

Oprah Haza posted:

Just... stop.

You clearly don't read Bloom, the central circlejerk advice forum for aspiring momtographers everywhere:

Use yo rule of thirds, son. xoxo

Content: I got to see some of Simen Johan's work recently.
http://www.slate.com/blogs/behold/2013/01/31/simen_johan_until_the_kingdom_comes_documents_shifting_ecosystems_photos.html

BrosephofArimathea fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Feb 28, 2013

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Reichstag posted:

I've never been a fan of photos

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Oprah Haza posted:

Yeah, that is horrid. I have no idea how that wasn't pointed out before publication.

These photos are pretty awesome.

http://www.eddieobryan.com/2010/10/10/girl-with-umbrella/
http://www.eddieobryan.com/2010/10/18/tree-on-hilltop/

Goddamn. o.o

I LOVE the umbrella one. So so so much.

whereismyshoe
Oct 21, 2008

that's not gone well...

goddammit i hate you i wanted to post this

e: to weigh in, i actually love the center composition - gives a certain eeriness to it

polysynth
Dec 12, 2006

rock out

Zlatan Imhobitch posted:

I don't think those tree ones would be any good if they weren't shot with a MF/LF camera.

It's cool that you don't like them but this type of reductionist approach to art I've found over the years doesn't make sense. I used to break down music I liked and think "well, maybe it wouldn't be any good if it wasn't enveloped in warm tape hiss and hadn't been made on analogue gear." Would this same track be good if it was made on digital equipment and was crystal clear having been mixed in FL Studio? I understand your point of "the strength of the work should shine through any sort of seemingly superficial characteristics it has", but sometimes those characteristics are vital to the work's success. And if you take this thinking far enough it just gets absurd. What if your favorite album had all of its instruments replaced with a midi version of itself? The timbre and tone of them would make you like it a lot less. Sometimes just how a song is COMPRESSED can make it a million times better. It's not just the notes being played in a song that makes you like it.

At what point do you accept that a straight ahead digital version of the same scene composed identically is an unfair basis on which to judge and compare against the finished product? In certain aesthetics color and tonality are more important than in others for pulling the approach off. A lot of lomography and holga work wouldn't be as compelling without the strong contrast and warped colors. Then you take it further with people who scratch and alter their negatives or do a poo poo load of post work digitally. While the look you get from shooting in a medium that grants you a greater tonality and maybe a more lush color palette might not be as extreme as super contrasty crossed processed holga pictures, it's still an arbitrary line to draw.

This makes me think of photographers I know who have said things along the lines of "if I had to shoot digital my work would die." Another said something like "the end of portra is the end of me" when Portra NC got discontinued. This is cutting literally right to what you were talking about but these people make ridiculously great work. Would Eggleston's stuff have been as good if he didn't use the dye transfer printing process? Would "the red ceiling" be as powerful if the room didn't look like it was bleeding? Certainly wouldn't have looked the same shot with a Rebel XT.

Anyway that's a lot of :words: but you just touched on something that I tend to think about a lot. To stay on topic here are some pictures in a similar style but shot digitally:

I don't even really think MF and LF have a unique enough look to really spot 100% of the time over digital anyway so you really just don't like the sensibility of those compositions which is perfectly fine. They could basically be digital. I just disgaree that you can criticize something on the basis of "it wouldn't be good if it was done in a different medium but was basically the same otherwise".

porcellus
Oct 28, 2004
oh wait, wrong chat window

Zlatan Imhobitch posted:

I don't know how to elaborate on what I mean. I just think that most things shot dead central with no symmetry lack a bit of something. Imagine people liking different stuff :eyepop:
E: I like central stuff horizontally though. I really dunno why I don't like them that much.
E2: I mean inanimate objects in the centre of the frame. I wish I could elaborate but I just don't like it. It's frustrating not being able to express what I mean clearly hahaha loving hell.

Yeah, but understand, you're going to catch a lot of poo poo for not validating your stance. A reason like

quote:

just doesn't really do anything for me.
is not interesting. It's an uninteresting thought and if you've ever sat with a group for critique, there's only so many times you can stand uninteresting remarks until what spills out of their mouth is like the inverse of scarfing food into one's gaping maw.

Volt's framing might not appear so obtuse if you consider the context of seeing all 20 together on a wall. He likely had that in mind when he shot/edited; placing value of visual coherency of constituent photographs over the merit of individual composition.

Richter takes the idea of exhibit experience pretty seriously, you should see the 1:50 scale model of the entire building he makes so he can determine the placement of his paintings, of which he has little scale replicas of.

I'm not sure what kind of worth I would place on Volt's series though, its significance is mostly attributed to the odd structures in those photographs. Someone else acted on the idiosyncratic idea to build those, Volt just made a nicely photographed composition of them. It'd be something to me if the Bechers hadn't already been there.

The effort of finding them is pretty neat though.

Collier Schorr

Danielle Nelson

Recently awarded MacArthur Fellow Uta Barth

porcellus fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Feb 28, 2013

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Why did Aperture decide to publish these photos, they're all centered and boring?

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Relax, they have that MF/LF look.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
Not to mention the low contrast you get from home scanned film.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

Another from Frederik Buyckx. At first I thought it was a picture of a gallery.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's badass. :stare:

Only thing that gives it away really is the shadow on the fan.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

Fragrag posted:

Another from Frederik Buyckx. At first I thought it was a picture of a gallery.

Goddamn that's cool, I'll have to check out more of his work. Does anybody have any recommendations for other photographers with similar styles? I've just started shooting some things kind of in that vein, which is totally different from what I normally do, so I'd love to look at some more for inspiration.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
So back in September I attended a photo workshop called the Missouri Photo Workshop. It's a photojournalism workshop that's been documenting small town life in Missouri for over 60 years. They've been to 45 different small towns in Missouri so far. The program was founded by Cliff and Vi Edom. Cliff Edom is the man who literally invented photojournalism. I met some pretty incredible photographers there, and I wanted to share some of their work.

Stan Olszewski: Crowded House. Stan was wandering around the first day of the program shooting his test roll, and took a couple pictures of some kids running wild in a trailer park. Their parents called the cops on him. When he told the story to the faculty, they demanded he go back and get into their house to shoot. He went back and convinced the parents to let him shoot. 11 people were living in a double wide trailer and he got some pretty amazing stuff out of it (I should mention Stan is like, 6' 5" - a big guy for a small space with so many people in it).

Louisa Marie Summer: Reconsidering Life. Louisa found a guy going through his house after a divorce. Her portraits of him are really incredible.

Razan Alzayani: Modern Family. Razan found a woman, living with her child and the child's father, but dating another woman. The father was devoted to the child, and to the mother, but the mother was dating a woman who then cheated on her, and they broke up (within the week Razan was there). It's a pretty fantastic story, and she got some great photos out of it as well.

You can see all of the stories here.

Perhaps I'm more blown away by these photos having actually seen, and worked through the process of getting them. It's no easy thing to insert yourself into someone's life for a week and shoot them at their most vulnerable. Photojournalism doesn't seem to get discussed all that much on this forum, and I think there's something to be said for appreciating these photos for the stories they tell, and the effort that went into getting them.

My story is on that site as well, but it's poo poo so I'm not linking it. Honestly, I haven't really been shooting since I went. It was like a first grader enrolling in a college level calculus class because he had just learned how to add. Almost completely destroyed my confidence and made me reassess whether I should even be taking photos at all.

I really urge you to check out the photos I linked though, I think they're pretty incredible. The other stories are awesome as well, but these three really stood out to me.

Awkward Davies fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Mar 2, 2013

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
Perfect timing! I just started a photojournalism thread yesterday hoping to spark some discussion, I even mentioned that workshop specifically: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3536198&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

You should pop in over there and share your thoughts, I'm sure I'll have some questions for you once I get a chance to look at the work that was produced in the next couple days.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

BobTheCow posted:

Perfect timing! I just started a photojournalism thread yesterday hoping to spark some discussion, I even mentioned that workshop specifically: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3536198&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

You should pop in over there and share your thoughts, I'm sure I'll have some questions for you once I get a chance to look at the work that was produced in the next couple days.

Done :)

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

http://www.reframingphotography.com/content/duane-michals

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001
:monocle:

That's incredible.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Can't let awesome thread fall off the front page!

http://lightbox.time.com/2013/03/04/after-puberty-and-before-manhood-a-period-of-juvenile-prosperity/#1

Laser Cow
Feb 22, 2006

Just like real cows!

Only with lasers.
Went to the Oslo Pecha Kucha last night and saw a presentation by Andrea Gjestvang of her project about the Utøya survivors. It was pretty powerful stuff but I'd like to know how people feel about the photographs outside of the context of having the photographer reading some accounts of the people on the island and, you know, actually being in Oslo and knowing that people around you have been affected by this in some way.

Laser Cow fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Mar 8, 2013

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

This photo showed up in my rss reader today, and it turns out that I've seen Dana Lixenberg's work many times before but never connected it back, and it is uniformly amazing.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Nicolai Howalt

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
Peter Baker

30865 by peterbaker, on Flickr

BAJ05 by peterbaker, on Flickr

XB05 by peterbaker, on Flickr

VO10 by peterbaker, on Flickr

IG02 by peterbaker, on Flickr

GB01 by peterbaker, on Flickr

MrBlandAverage fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Mar 12, 2013

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Kids from around the world pose with their favorite toys. :-)

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

I saw that earlier today, really awesome.

real nap shit
Feb 2, 2008

That's really cool. Guitar+cape kid owns. :)

real nap shit fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Mar 13, 2013

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Thomas Prior
http://thomasprior.tumblr.com/post/45188995629/scorched-earth-urban-sprawl-last-week-in-mexico

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
The photo on the right looks like the floating continent from Final Fantasy VI.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Thomas Kellner - http://www.tkellner.com/thomas-kellner/thomas-kellner/the-artist/

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
Martin Parr

e: now with gallery link

MrBlandAverage fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Mar 14, 2013

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

What am I missing about those? They look like snapshots with a theme.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Krakkles posted:

What am I missing about those? They look like snapshots with a theme.

Search the thread, it's been discussed a million times.

Short version: it's an impossible discussion, don't try it.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

short version: you're looking at the theme

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

That is a rad as hell concept.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

8th-samurai posted:

It didn't twig for me until I followed the link, quite rad indeed.

I must admit to getting a little hopeful of a dog pile/poo poo storm when the inevitable "I don't get it" post happens. :f5:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

8th-samurai posted:

What exactly is that concept? Some poles in the ground?

edit-- ohhhhhhhhhhhhh

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

QPZIL posted:

What exactly is that concept? Some poles in the ground?

Photoshopping the focus of important photos from history out. It's pretty neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008
That's my purse! I don't know you!

Oh my god that is amazing and now I realize all over again how poo poo I am. Thanks!

• Locked thread