Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Nomnom Cookie posted:

code review pfft. who cares

schema review. bad schemas end lives

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
so uh

i had 6 weeks to do this at first
one of our liasons hosed up and told them 4 by (honest) mistake
then they cut it to 2, it's due for final tests at 5pm tomorrow. i procoded and busted my rear end and i could have finished it today but if i signal to testers that i finished early i'll never escape deadline shaving. so i left a couple garbage lines in there so i technically 'do something' tomorrow.

also i'm introducing them to git for the first time with this and they're all :aaa:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
they hadn't met u before???????

j/k

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
please slap yourself that was really bad. oi

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

http://blog.iron.io/2013/03/how-we-went-from-30-servers-to-2-go.html Goddamn nerds worrying about their clock cycles.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Jonny 290 posted:

so uh

i had 6 weeks to do this at first
one of our liasons hosed up and told them 4 by (honest) mistake
then they cut it to 2, it's due for final tests at 5pm tomorrow. i procoded and busted my rear end and i could have finished it today but if i signal to testers that i finished early i'll never escape deadline shaving. so i left a couple garbage lines in there so i technically 'do something' tomorrow.

also i'm introducing them to git for the first time with this and they're all :aaa:

I never understood why you would use git over svn other than projects over the internet that are community driven. In a corp environment svn seems to work fine for me. :shrug:

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

ratbert90 posted:

I never understood why you would use git over svn other than projects over the internet that are community driven. In a corp environment svn seems to work fine for me. :shrug:

people prefer git because if you want to create a personal branch you have to share it with everybody else and then they might see your lovely WIP.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

FamDav posted:

people prefer git because if you want to create a personal branch you have to share it with everybody else and then they might see your lovely WIP.
good reason imo

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah i can branch some poo poo that was released to prod and goof off with it with dumb broken poo poo and just surprise them with it once its sorted. or if its a thing where it's wiser to share up front we can obv do that too

providing more intel than is necessary can be bad in some areas; right now my poo poo's in demand enough that if somebody catches wind that im messing with something on the side, all of a sudden Jonny's Working On That And It Will Be Fixed Soon. Hey Jonny How's That Thing Coming Along. no no no

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

what do you guys use for merge conflict resolution?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
well, i'm the only one actively using it right now (its lit. running on my laptop alone) and i'm basically taking them through version control 101. so i cant really answer that question. practically i can tell you that i expect very few merge conflicts based on how this facility runs.

we have an ancient visualsvn server that doesnt have code past 09 on it. if i have my way, we're going to build git repos for everything and then let that old poo poo die

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

peepsalot posted:

revolvers at high noon

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy

peepsalot posted:

click auto-merge and if that's not available select your copy of the file in the merge tool and then wonder why it doesn't work

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

lol. "our fad lang was terrible! knowing a real lang could do way better with fewer resources, we decided to go with another fad lang."

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
fad lang

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
with a fad lang here and a fad lang there

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

FamDav posted:

thank you for being honest

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

I'd be super happy with git if there was a way to run it without the local repo

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

rotor posted:

I'd be super happy with the web if there was a way to use it without a net connection

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

that'd be pretty cool too

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

rotor posted:

I'd be super happy with git if there was a way to run it without the local repo

what do you want to just magically edit files on the server? just make a shallow clone if you dont want history

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

spongeh posted:

what do you want to just magically edit files on the server? just make a shallow clone if you dont want history

no I just want a commit to commit directly to the server all the time, for everything

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

I see the confusion

by 'without a local repo' I meant 'without local commits, where everything is done server side' I apologize for any confusion this may have caused.

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

rotor posted:

I see the confusion

by 'without a local repo' I meant 'without local commits, where everything is done server side' I apologize for any confusion this may have caused.

eclipse devs hear you

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

github client is another example which shows just how much nicer git becomes when only mainframe janitors have to deal with git directly and end users get to use a real application

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

ive been lobbying for github @ work pretty hard. if we're not gonna use svn we might as well use the good parts of git.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Win8 Hetro Experie posted:

github client is another example which shows just how much nicer git becomes when only mainframe janitors have to deal with git directly and end users get to use a real application

can you seriously not handle a command line

i mean i use fugitive with vim now which has some nice integration but lol @ using a whole gui client

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

tbh if understanding git is beyond you then maybe you shouldnt be coding

just a thought

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

abraham linksys posted:

i mean i use fugitive with vim now which has some nice integration but lol @ using a whole gui client

believe it or not, a gui can be more convenient

xf86enodev
Mar 27, 2010

dis catte!

FamDav posted:

believe it or not, a gui can be more convenient

ya when you're working 9-5 like a grown-up you just wanna click stuff on your screen until it goes away

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
has anyone ever tried the PLs Clean or Mercury, what was your experience

Messyass
Dec 23, 2003

Clean was developed at my university and as far as I know it's still used there. We didn't use it in any of the classes I took though, so... that's not really an answer.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

peepsalot posted:

git config --global merge.conflictstyle diff3

Then use your text editor.

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

abraham linksys posted:

sure I could,

but I don't even own a command line :newfap:

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Gazpacho posted:

has anyone ever tried the PLs Clean or Mercury, what was your experience

Cleans like haskell but with some different design decisions regarding Types (uniqueness types which are theoreticaly interesting) Not really worth it to learn since haskell is so similar.

Mercury is neat since it has logic programming built in but I know of only one thing built in it, the prince XML PDF thing.
Basically prolog++

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

Why the gently caress would you let users near your repo?

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

Zombywuf posted:

Why the gently caress would you let users near your repo?

i meant end users as in developers who make use of version control

or alternatively:

all source code should be free from the tyranny of ownership and all users should be programmers

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Git's interactive staging and interactive rebasing functions own

Fart around on a topic branch, duplicate the topic branch, interactive rebase that poo poo against master so that the changes are pristine, fall back to the original version of the topic branch if you gently caress up (I guess you could use the reflog instead? idk i find that confusing, much better to explicitly mark a known good point by making a branch), send it off to the maintainer for review and let the reviewer see just the important stuff instead of a whole bunch of commits like "oops forgot to check this file in" or "fixed typo".

I mean I'm sure you COULD make this work with SVN but there's a difference between "it can be made to work" and "it is a natural operation on the tool's internal data model"

Backing your poo poo up at the end of the day is a completely orthogonal problem and I kinda wish people would stop conflating this with the actual purpose of an SCM. If you want backup then get a CJ to install a network backup agent on your workstation. SCMs are there to enable multiple people to work on multiple features within the same codebase without treading all over each other, not making sure that absolutely no work is lost if your machine catches fire all of a sudden.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I kinda feel like big projects should be broken into sufficiently small chunks that one person can understand how the whole thing works and where the boundaries of its responsibilities lie, then own that chunk and all changes to it, but it's not going to work in practice because of political bullshit (yes, I, the Senior Database Integration Engineer, am going to have my code reviewed by some loving PFY intern) so w/e I doubt it ever works like this in practice anywhere other than like maybe Linux.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

all source code should be free from the tyranny of ownership and all users should be programmers

Then they would all be able to use git and I would be happy.