Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

I've found that by going onto any GarrysMod server and either shooting people or minding my own business and building something, I can get someone to rage the gently caress out 99% of the time.

One time I spawned a hostile NPC soldier and he went on a killing spree and everyone blamed it on the screeching twelve-year-old, who got banned. It almost felt like justice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ellbent
May 2, 2007

I NEVER HAD SOUL
Another key difference between TTT and SS13 is that there isn't a giant MISSION COMPLETE screen that pops up when John Butts fulfills his mission to kill Fred Dongs and steal his shoes. Neither does the round end if all the traitors get robusted by clowns, thrown out airlocks, or locked in jail.

If all you do as a traitor in SS13 is fulfill your mission and keep your head down, the game will never end. So the brute force method doesn't work, and can even lead to hour-long snorefests if it's successful. Someone has to push the "end the round" button, and only then does everyone finds out if the traitors 'won.'

The reason TTT is inferior, stupid, and easy to grief is because it's a very transparent, finite process of (literal) elimination that only ends in YOU LOSE or YOU WIN, the only reason anyone dies is because someone shot them and never anything else (such as disease, decompression, electrocution, fire, exposure, and so on), and nobody wants to accept that the reason TTT is lovely and pointless because it's so transparent about outcomes and identities.

tl;dr TTT is not even a game, it is an anger engine for tyrannical spergs

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
I remember it happening in COD 4 too, except they jumped on a higher level thing you had to jump up to and across some gaps and poo poo. My response to this (being the zombie) was to throw C4 up there with them and then stabbing them post respawn. Or using a sniper rifle, and when people begin their incessant bitching responding with either a) zombie-esque moans or something along the lines of "Tor is learning!"

Jesus do nerds lose their poo poo over the little things. Every unenforcable game mode is as easy to grief as League of Legends.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

SpookyLizard posted:

Jesus do nerds lose their poo poo over the little things. Every unenforcable game mode is as easy to grief as League of Legends.

Lies, I've seen a friend win a round of LoL and get in a screaming match with a team mate over whether or not they won hard enough. LoL does weird things to people.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Lies, I've seen a friend win a round of LoL and get in a screaming match with a team mate over whether or not they won hard enough. LoL does weird things to people.

Somebody said once that the problem with MOBAs/Dotalikes is that the game format makes it possible to lose a match very early and still have to sit through the rest of it with no hope of winning. Combine that with the fact that one person can easily ruin a match for the entire team, even with an unintentional newbie mistake, and you have a recipe for disaster when your team cares more about winning than anything else.

Still doesn't explain why people get mad at their teams when they win.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Somebody said once that the problem with MOBAs/Dotalikes is that the game format makes it possible to lose a match very early and still have to sit through the rest of it with no hope of winning. Combine that with the fact that one person can easily ruin a match for the entire team, even with an unintentional newbie mistake, and you have a recipe for disaster when your team cares more about winning than anything else.

Still doesn't explain why people get mad at their teams when they win.

Honestly, I think it is because MOBAs have a lot of crossover with FPS games as far as playerbases go. So there are people who freak out about their K/D/A ratio and getting to brag about how great they are and point to their stats about how they were the ones that carried the rest of their team, kicking and screaming, to victory.

There was a story in the league thread itself about a goon playing while his girlfriend watched, and Warwick (a werewolf) and Maokai (a treant) both wanting to jungle and screaming at each other the entire match while fighting each other for the jungle mobs.

His girlfriend's assement? "Everything was going so well, until that walking tree called the werewolf a friend of the family."

That pretty much sums up MOBAs.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

What the hell was going on here exactly?

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Griefing other people is winning, losing, or not playing the game they want you to play.

If there's anything I've learned from playing games online for 20+ years, it's that humanity is doomed and I don't know why we haven't blown up the earth yet.

Slappy Moose
Jan 23, 2010

THE FILTHY IMMIGRANT

victrix posted:

If there's anything I've learned from playing games online for 20+ years, it's that humanity is doomed and I don't know why we haven't blown up the earth yet.

It's because we are too busy yelling at each other over the internet to actually go outside and blow anything up.

Holepunchio
May 31, 2011

TheSpiritFox posted:

What the hell was going on here exactly?
To help alleviate the tedium of dying early in a round of TTT dead players can freeroam the map and possess objects. There they can slowly charge a punch meter to get tiny jumps and lunges. That server looked modded to give infinite punch meter so objects can crash around the server massacring people. You can still take a big enough object and crush people on vanilla TTT servers. Unfortunately because that makes the game fun and interesting its usually against the rules.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Slappy Moose posted:

It's because we are too busy yelling at each other over the internet to actually go outside and blow anything up.

But that's what Drones are for! Also CoD is Ender's Game (and teaches you to be a raging homophobe)

... wait that second part makes too much sense :tinfoil:

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

One time I played TTT and I was the traitor, and I sat the end of a hallway. The only way into the hallway was to take a ladder down, which I was looking at. I shot and killed the first person who went down the ladder, and a bunch of the people on the server heard gunfire and came over to see what was happening, so I killed the next person who came down the ladder. Eventually there was a pile of corpses at the base, which anyone could easily have seen, but they just kept coming. I believe I killed every other person on the server doing this, outside of the other traitors.

People who play TTT are really, really stupid.

On the other hand, I've found that Jailbreak RP servers are virtually impossible to grief, because the moment I start playing them I realize that my attempts would contribute literally nothing. Instead, it's best just to look at the Steam profiles of other players and gently caress with them as much as possible. Playing on an insane South Korean supremacist server is great if your profile is Kim Jong-Il themed. :allears:

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Hellsau posted:

So wait, if you just go on a rampage and kill every other player, you should win, right? This is clearly the correct way to play, someone should spread the word.

Someone already explained the karma system which effectively punishes you for killing the wrong people. There's also the more immediate correcting mechanism that going on a rampage makes you look like a traitor and will get en entire room full of people shooting you. So if you're going to kill someone you need to have some sort of reason or else you'll look really guilty.

My favorite "RDM" moment happened at the very start of a round. Being traitor is way more fun then being an innocent so at the start of each round it's pretty common to hear people whine that they aren't the traitor. So the round starts a bunch of people whine and this one guy says in the most obviously lying voice "oh yeah I'm stuck as innocent too." Like it was so obviously false I was thinking maybe he was being sarcastic. So I kill him, innocents win and his traitor turn lasted about 10 seconds. He rages and it's the one time I saw everyone on the server agree that he was obviously guilty.

The rules are dumb but you can have some fun. You can sort of play Colombo and figure out who the traitor is and keep an eye on them until they slip up. A surprisingly effective tactic is that really talkative people always shut up when they're trying to be sneaky. So it often pays to keep track of people who suddenly go quiet.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Slappy Moose posted:

It's true, video games basically replaced torturing cats to death as the form of entertainment for disgruntled young men.

The vending machine is beautiful.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

victrix posted:

Griefing other people is winning, losing, or not playing the game they want you to play.

That's because when you plan on beginning doomsday, a ton of people will toss N-Bombs at you while they keep calling for the president to ban you.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
What exactly does MOBAS and ARTS stand for? Other than Makes Other nerds Bitch And Sit and AnotheR acronym i can't Think of right now Shut up.

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

SpookyLizard posted:

What exactly does MOBAS and ARTS stand for? Other than Makes Other nerds Bitch And Sit and AnotheR acronym i can't Think of right now Shut up.

Multiplayer Online Battle Arena and Action Real-Time Strategy.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Red Metal posted:

Multiplayer Online Battle Arena and Action Real-Time Strategy.

I like mine better.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Woops wrong thread

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Dizz posted:

That's because when you plan on beginning doomsday, a ton of people will toss N-Bombs at you while they keep calling for the president to ban you.

And because if you kill everyone, who will you brag about your 7 billion to 1 K/D ratio to?

The only thing you'd get out of it is super strong legs from all the squats you'd have to do to teabag 7 billion corpses.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

SpookyLizard posted:

I like mine better.

Nobody else does.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

flatluigi posted:

Nobody else does.

Fits the subject matter at hand then.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
So, I just caught up on this thread and saw that someone mentioned some Jailbreak mode for GMod. Having no clue what it was, I search it on Youtube and :stare: Holy gently caress. It's like some crazy online Stanford prison experiment, except the participants are doing this with their free time. :psyboom:

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
For a short time I played jailbreak. I played on the hellsgamers server, and for the most part it wasn't too bad. If people were shitlers then there was a big enough inmate to warden ratio for the inmates to overrun and slaughter them, so it was sort of balanced. It was essentially css minigame time where you would get shot if you messed up. However, I did peruse a couple of other servers and they were absolutely terrible. Screeching 11 year olds, the works. Haven't played it in a long time, and it really probably isn't worth playing nowadays.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Zaodai posted:

His girlfriend's assement? "Everything was going so well, until that walking tree called the werewolf a friend of the family."

This needs to be quoted in the OP. :allears:
Because this more or less sums up competition in games like DOTA and LOL.

Edit: I'm a dummy for just restating the obvious.

SugarAddict fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Mar 15, 2013

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Zaodai posted:

That pretty much sums up MOBAs.

This is incredible. :v:

Spent some time combat medic-ing in TF2 tonight. Sad to see a general lack of armchair generals and PLAY YOUR FUCKIN CHARACTER RIGHT but I eventually got a few. Still a fun way to pass the time.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

SpookyLizard posted:

I remember it happening in COD 4 too, except they jumped on a higher level thing you had to jump up to and across some gaps and poo poo. My response to this (being the zombie) was to throw C4 up there with them and then stabbing them post respawn. Or using a sniper rifle, and when people begin their incessant bitching responding with either a) zombie-esque moans or something along the lines of "Tor is learning!"

This just reminded me of something that I surprisingly haven't seen posted here in the past few dozens of pages. In COD 4, there was a period of time where you could essentially suicidebomb yourself with the Javelin missile launcher (normally needs to lock onto enemy vehicles and fires the missile). If memory serves I think it also worked with the Stinger AA missile as well. The thing was, the blast radius was enormous, so you could regularly get at least 2 kills for your 1 death. If you took certain perks you could sprint longer and your blast radius would be bigger/more damaging as well. For a while until it was patched, every server was full of people suicide-jihading themselves and racking up the pubbie tears.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Diplomaticus posted:

This just reminded me of something that I surprisingly haven't seen posted here in the past few dozens of pages. In COD 4, there was a period of time where you could essentially suicidebomb yourself with the Javelin missile launcher (normally needs to lock onto enemy vehicles and fires the missile). If memory serves I think it also worked with the Stinger AA missile as well. The thing was, the blast radius was enormous, so you could regularly get at least 2 kills for your 1 death. If you took certain perks you could sprint longer and your blast radius would be bigger/more damaging as well. For a while until it was patched, every server was full of people suicide-jihading themselves and racking up the pubbie tears.

That was Modern Warfare 2. It was pretty awesome at first, particularly doing that glitch with RPGs, as the rocket would leave the launcher and then instantly freeze mid-air, then just go off whenever the gently caress it felt like it making for some silly as hell deaths. Though it started getting really lame shortly after, because then pubbies started doing it to boost stats. You literally couldn't play any objective modes until they fixed it, because some shitlord would just lay on objective sites with a glitched javelin in-hand.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Code Jockey posted:

This is incredible. :v:

Spent some time combat medic-ing in TF2 tonight. Sad to see a general lack of armchair generals and PLAY YOUR FUCKIN CHARACTER RIGHT but I eventually got a few. Still a fun way to pass the time.

I used to go into Team Fortress 2 servers as THE GENTLEMANLY HEAVY using nothing but my fists to punch people and sandvich to heal myself, or throw to people to heal them for half their health (and score a point for myself). I get a surprising number of ubercharges from medics who are either amused at my antics or aren't paying attention, as I use the 8-second invulnerability period to eat a sandvich or try taunt-killing with my fists.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Diplomaticus posted:

In Enemy Territory: Quake Wars, if you killed yourself with a rocket launcher, teammates who died with you didn't get the normal option to attempt to kick you for teamkilling. My roommate regularly ended rounds with a sold -100 points.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

Yardbomb posted:

That was Modern Warfare 2. It was pretty awesome at first, particularly doing that glitch with RPGs, as the rocket would leave the launcher and then instantly freeze mid-air, then just go off whenever the gently caress it felt like it making for some silly as hell deaths. Though it started getting really lame shortly after, because then pubbies started doing it to boost stats. You literally couldn't play any objective modes until they fixed it, because some shitlord would just lay on objective sites with a glitched javelin in-hand.

Ah yeah, that's right. They all kind of blur together for me.

I_Socom
Jul 18, 2007

A great ride that requires finesse and effort to get the best out of it.

Diplomaticus posted:

This was one of the funnest things in MW2 before they patched it out. It's been covered (way) earlier, but I'll go over it again because it was awesome.

The Javelin is a surface-to-surface missile. Normally you have to lock on for a couple of seconds then fire, then the missile fires up and out and explodes on the target. As noted above, the blast radius was huge, and you could take perks to make the blast radius bigger again. The glitch involved switching weapons mid-grenade-throw, and you ended up running around with the Javelin out ready to fire. BUT when you died, the Javelin would detonate immediately over your corpse (i.e. no lock on, just instant suicide bomb). If any enemy players were near you, they would almost certainly get caught in the explosion (and die horribly).

To make most use of this you just had to pick up the sprint faster/longer perk, set the glitch, then charge the enemy. They're then faced with a choice: shoot you and die, or wait for you to get close enought that you can stab them. And then they die anyway. The only way out was to shoot the glitcher before they got close, but with the huge-explosions perk that was quite a way away. The bunker in one of the desert maps was the best place for this, it was almost always filled with 3-4 snipers and you could just charge in and they had no way out. Good times!

This video shows excellent use of the glitch - the second clip is one of the most common (and hilarious) scenarios, an enemy back-pedalling frantically until a friendly teammate shows up and kills you for them. Thanks buddy! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGbDzrQDsAY

I_Socom fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Mar 15, 2013

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy
The non-glitch way of griefing in that game (aside from abusing poor balance and just using the under-barrel grenade all the time) is to take the perk Last Stand, which lets you stay alive a little while after taking fatal damage as long as it wasn't from a headshot or a direct hit with an explosive. With the pro version of it, you can use equipment when dead, including C4, so if you and an enemy kill each other, or they knock you over behind cover, you can wait a few seconds and kill yourself with the C4, completely denying them the kill. This makes people rather irate.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Taciturn Tactician posted:

The non-glitch way of griefing in that game (aside from abusing poor balance and just using the under-barrel grenade all the time) is to take the perk Last Stand, which lets you stay alive a little while after taking fatal damage as long as it wasn't from a headshot or a direct hit with an explosive. With the pro version of it, you can use equipment when dead, including C4, so if you and an enemy kill each other, or they knock you over behind cover, you can wait a few seconds and kill yourself with the C4, completely denying them the kill. This makes people rather irate.

From my experience with the PC COD4 just taking Last Stand was a grief. I was playing it at a friends house and slotted in and got told "if you don't get rid of that we're kicking you from the server" that and martyrdom are apparently not things that are supposed to be used ever.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Len posted:

From my experience with the PC COD4 just taking Last Stand was a grief. I was playing it at a friends house and slotted in and got told "if you don't get rid of that we're kicking you from the server" that and martyrdom are apparently not things that are supposed to be used ever.

Last Stand was essentially broken, because you were invincible for a brief period of time after falling to the ground. More than enough time to kill the person shooting at you if you were already facing their direction, or if they had to reload during that period.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

SpazmasterX posted:

Last Stand was essentially broken, because you were invincible for a brief period of time after falling to the ground. More than enough time to kill the person shooting at you if you were already facing their direction, or if they had to reload during that period.

My understanding of COD4 was that the solution to this was to take as many grenade related perks as possible and throw grenades over every wall and around every corner then bumrush whoever you see and count on martyrdom to even the field.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
There was a nice little grace period when you fell that you were essentially invincible. If you were quick on the trigger you could easily revenge kill the guy who got you. It was great if you got downed in a doorway or something where you could hold up traffic.

It and Martyrdom (which caused you drop a live grenade with a shorter fuse than normal upon death) were the two greatest perks in COD4, especially in objective game modes, because Martyrdom essentially guaranteed that you'd kill someone if you were charging the objective and you'd probably wipe out anyone trying to capture it. Last Stand could work too if you fell behind a piece of cover or something and no one realized you were there, leading to much confusion and anger on the part of the other team. Or they'll just be dumb and completely miss you and you'll just shoot them a bunch, leading to much rage. The only thing more infuriating than downing someone and having them kill you is having a teammate down someone and having that person kill you. I really kind of miss that game, it was so easy to drive people crazy by playing the game totally straightforward.

Oh, another Headquarters thing, the game mode was sort of a King Of The Hill thing. The HQ would spawn somewhere on the map, and you'd have to hold the room for so long to capture it, with more allies capturing it faster, and enemies stopping it. Then once you captured it, you'd be unable to respawn, but you'd get five points every five seconds for a minute or until the other team captured it, whereupon it'd go move somewhere else. So sticking around by the HQ with martyrdom would see to it that your grenades would end up killing people charging. Of course, if you wanted to be a dick, if the other team captured it, you could kill of them and then refuse to capture it, so they could just spectate for a minute and not do anything.

Needless to say, forcing your enemies to sit there watching you flick your NVG's on and off or jump up and down or spin in place drove people loving crazy.

e:f,b

(and yes throwing grenades everywhere could keep you in the positive k/d and drive people insane.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

Len posted:

Was martyrdom the dropping a live grenade at your feet when you died? God that drove pubbies (and everyone) nuts.

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

Knightmare posted:

Was martyrdom the dropping a live grenade at your feet when you died? God that drove pubbies (and everyone) nuts.

Yea, there was also another perk that made explosions bigger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Capacitor
Jan 21, 2008

The code you say?
It's what lead to us creating an ad-hoc game called The Postman Dies Twice. Play Shipment, pull pin on grenade whenever you spawn, run to the middle. Can be played regardless of pubbie presence.

• Locked thread