Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I've been on that server and it is hilarious. Killing people with props from spectator is great but if there's spectators when you're trying to be a traitor it turns into "run away from any prop that could potentially kill you".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Knightmare posted:

Was martyrdom the dropping a live grenade at your feet when you died? God that drove pubbies (and everyone) nuts.

Yes. Bonus points was that grenades exploded after like five seconds. When you threw frags you had to cook them to be really effective, the cursor would contract and expand about once every second, it usually paid off to throw it after two-three ticks based on how you were using it. (Or none at all if you were winging it across the map.) The Martyrdom grenades only exploded after like two or three seconds tops. They were already 'cooked' as it were. May have been shorter. Which made it better.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

SpookyLizard posted:

Yes. Bonus points was that grenades exploded after like five seconds. When you threw frags you had to cook them to be really effective, the cursor would contract and expand about once every second, it usually paid off to throw it after two-three ticks based on how you were using it. (Or none at all if you were winging it across the map.) The Martyrdom grenades only exploded after like two or three seconds tops. They were already 'cooked' as it were. May have been shorter. Which made it better.

The COD wiki says 5 seconds for a regular and 2.5 for a martyr grenade. I only played that game a few times with friends but even being a newbie to that game I instantly realized it was an awesome overpowered ability that would make up for my shittiness.

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
COD4 was a great game, and I remember goons had a great way of griefing the other team, but I think it only worked on one map, and it was called "Hush" or "Hushing"

In COD4's perk system, it was entirely possible to create a class/setup where you can be completely invisible to the enemy radar, even if they get a UAV(a thing that shows enemies on your HUD map). What goons did was get enough players for a full team, and have everyone use a setup that was completely stealth (invisible to UAV, all weapons silenced, and a Sniper Rifle main weapon because that made your character model a ghillie suit to help you hide in grass better) and as soon as the game started, everyone would spread out and just hide prone in the grass trying their hardest not to kill anyone for the entire game until the timer ran out. As you can imagine, the other teams would be really confused as to where they were and what was going on. I remember from the videos I saw that it really confused a lot of people since it was way different than the standard gameplay where everyone just runs around willy nilly and shooting everything that moves. One video I saw, the round was almost over but an enemy was walking right on top of a someone, and he had to kill him before he figured it out, so when the timer ran out, the final score was 0-1, which I thought was hilarious, though that was considered a failed Hush game. During a successful Hush game, the score would be 0-0.

Slappy Moose
Jan 23, 2010

THE FILTHY IMMIGRANT
Oh my god please find the video of that, that sounds loving amazing.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
This is more of an example of developers griefing their players, but the recent MOBA chat reminded me. So in Dota 2, like in TF2, it's going to (eventually) be a Free to play game, which is paid for by cosmetic items. Now, given that there are ~90 characters, this means there are tons of potential items you can buy. Most of them you can buy in the in-game store, and some of them randomly drop after each game, but some of them are only available in chests that randomly drop, which require a $2.50 key to unlock.

Now, something that Valve introduced are "seasonal chests", where the chests would only be available for a limited time, and by extension so would the items. The most famous of these items dropped from a chest introduced last summer. This item was called the "Dragonclaw Hook", an item for Pudge, probably the most famous character in Dota (his gimmick is that he pulls people to him and then murders them). The item was not *that* visually interesting, but a lot of people wanted it, so it had a pretty high price after it was discontinued.

Recently, Valve has allowed you to sell Dota items on Steam, using the Steam Market (basically their version of the Auction house in Diablo 3). Right around the same time, due to the increased demand, they allowed the Dragonclaw Hook to drop normally. But - and here was the funny part - they only allowed it to drop for one day. After that day, it was deemed "immortal" (there are item levels in Dota, eg "common", "rare", etc) which meant that it would never drop again.

As a result, the Dragonclaw hook has skyrocketed in price, and last I checked it was going for (at least) $80, with some people asking up to $200. They also did this with a few other cosmetic items which were removed/made unavailable, but that one's my favorite because I actually own one (although I'm not going to sell it).

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

A lot of people have mentioned Dark Souls; it's the only game (aside from Demon's Souls) that I've ever really gotten into online. I enjoy invading, but I don't just go after hosts because that's a bit boring. Rather I enjoy methods that involve either stealth, silliness or a combination of both. There are so many creative ways as both a host or an invader to spice things up; really you could devote an entire topic to that game alone.

Here are a few of my favorites, both of which involve chameleon (my favorite spell).

First, and I have to credit a friend of mine for this idea, but it's a good one. You also need a co-conspirator with chameleon (you don't need it yourself). First, go to the catacombs bonfire and summon your friend. Go into the catacombs, and play through to the first bridge area, killing the skeletons and such along the way. Your friend takes a position by the switch for the first bridge, disguised as a pot. Use the dried finger to spawn an invader, and wait for them / lure them over to the bridge. When you're safely clear of the bridge and they're near the middle, you signal your phantom to flip the switch (Force is a good choice).

Here's another an amusing one I don't think anyone else does, this time in Sen's. You need Chameleon and probably either Force or Wrath of God (depending on your intent), maybe a decent amount of poise. Spawn in on the rafters from inside where the bonfire is, and head to the little room that's just past hallway with the dart trap after the boulder room. Go to the side of the room, just to your right of the hallway leading into the room from the other side (what would be just to the host's left as they enter the room as they're playing through). If the player isn't already in the boulder room and headed your way, back up against the wall and cast chameleon - otherwise just stay out of sight to the side. Move your camera so you have a clear view of the hallway. It's a perfect ambush spot, because the player has to trigger the dart trap on the way to the room, which you'll hear. So long as you don't move, a lot of hosts won't even notice you. Very rarely, a skilled phantom will notice you immediately and break your cover. There are a lot of variations at this point, but ideally they're just past you and you can use force to knock them into the next set of axes, or use force as they're going through the room, trident dance... you'll catch most players completely unaware.

One last good one involves the hill with the big cats in the forest. This works as an invader or a host, but requires a bit of skill. The three cats start all on top of a hill that's in the upper right corner of the forest map. There is a soul on a corpse in the upper corner of the base of it. It is actually possible, with a bit of practice, to jump and get on top of that hill. You jump up and to the right from a few steps left of where the soul is, facing the hill. If you can get over and up there, it's a perfect spot for games. If you are the host, the cats will not aggro so long as you're on top of the hill; the one in front will jump down, and if you kill that one the other two will as well, so it's best to leave at least the one in front alive. I usually decorate with a bunch of prism stones, equip a dragonslayer bow and trident, then toxx myself to draw the host / invader(s) over. From that point you can do whatever, but few people know how to jump up there and so it's fairly safe.

Finally, here's one you can no longer do as they patched it out, but it's hilarious.

BillyRubin
Dec 16, 2005
"Oh, and Senator, just one more thing."

I'm Danny in that video. The part in the middle where I go on a random killing spree is perhaps my favourite moment in any online game ever. I was banned immediately after the round ended. For those who don't know, TTT has a Karma system - it starts at 1000 points, and every time you damage or kill a team-mate, you lose karma. On some servers, going below a certain amount of karma gives you a temporary ban. As an Innocent, I just decided one round to kill everyone I saw, losing enough karma in one round to be banned instantly.

A couple years ago, some buddies and I had our own little Minecraft server. One guy, Sex Robot, had a swell village that he put a lot of work into, complete with a movie theatre and hot air balloons in the sky around it. One day, I dug underneath his village and put a good 30 or so note blocks (blocks that, when they are activated, play a single note) all connected with random timings to a system that would send a signal every second or so. The end result was a cacophony of really deep bass sounds so numerous that they deafened you anywhere in the village. It would be pretty impossible to ignore it without turning off the sound in the game entirely.

Sex Robot came back to his village and I watched as he tried to find the source of the sounds. He checked every building, and finally came across this one patch of dirt in the middle of a grassy area, which is where I dug down under his village. So, he started digging there. Luckily, beneath that block was a long hole that fell all the way down to a pressure plate. The dirt block fell down the hole when he broke it, which activated the pressure plate far below. A few seconds passed, and then one by one all of his hot air balloons started exploding out of the sky. I had left the booby trap knowing he would go to investigate the sound; he was smart enough to find the place I dug down from, and that was how I got him to blow up his own balloons.

Our prank war went back and forth for a while. One day, just outside the main gates of his village, I built a massive, perpetually-burning cross. I called him out to see it, and told him that it would be our last prank, and that I wanted to work on other stuff besides trolling each other constantly. Seriously, it slowed down our other projects immensely, with all the time we put into it. So I told him that we should break down this flaming cross as a sign of finally putting away the hate and getting back to the love. That's exactly what we did.

I didn't know this at the time, but he believed me 100% for some inexplicable reason. He believed that I truly wanted to end the prank war, right up until the moment I quietly stood back and let him break the last block at the base of the flaming cross. This last block fell down a short hole onto a plate which triggered about 20 blocks of TNT that were placed in an underground ring around the cross. He died, leaving a massive ugly crater sitting right outside his village.

We were talking on Skype at the time, and he went really quiet for a minute. None of us could get him to say anything. Then, all of a sudden, he's talking again. Also, the server has gone down. He tells us that he HAD to take the server down, because he couldn't fix what he did otherwise. What did he do? As vengeance for the flaming, exploding cross gag, he'd spawned a ball of lava on top of my tree village. By mistake, he'd spawned something about 50 meters in diameter, which put such a lag on the server and his computer that he couldn't just remove it right away. By the time the server came back up, the lava was gone, along with my entire tree village; all that was left was smouldering ruins.

So we decided to cut back on the trolling for a while.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
While even playing Aliens Colonial Marines is a form of griefing in itself. Everything about the game is half assed. You can completely gently caress over your team in versus by repeatedly spawning in and blowing yourself up with the grenade launcher.

From what I can tell, no one can kick you and when you kill yourself, it takes away points from the whole team. I have gone matches where the marines scored zero points all because I did this the whole match.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
I think that i may be able to find the video. We used to call it "Action Hush" and we would do it on a map (pipeline maybe?) because there was a big area of tall grass behind the spawn that was in the borders and everything but wasnt ever used in objective games, and though it was elevated it didnt provide a good view to the map. So wed rush there and hide, and theyd never, ever come looking because it was so off the beaten path, and there were oodles of other hiding places and even a few glitchy spots that were infinitely more likely. I can probably find it if i tried.

Hushing used to be just kinda sneaky shooting/playing, Action Hush was doing nothing.

Smarmy Coworker
May 10, 2008

by XyloJW

computer parts posted:

This is more of an example of developers griefing their players, but the recent MOBA chat reminded me. So in Dota 2, like in TF2, it's going to (eventually) be a Free to play game, which is paid for by cosmetic items. Now, given that there are ~90 characters, this means there are tons of potential items you can buy. Most of them you can buy in the in-game store, and some of them randomly drop after each game, but some of them are only available in chests that randomly drop, which require a $2.50 key to unlock.

Now, something that Valve introduced are "seasonal chests", where the chests would only be available for a limited time, and by extension so would the items. The most famous of these items dropped from a chest introduced last summer. This item was called the "Dragonclaw Hook", an item for Pudge, probably the most famous character in Dota (his gimmick is that he pulls people to him and then murders them). The item was not *that* visually interesting, but a lot of people wanted it, so it had a pretty high price after it was discontinued.

Recently, Valve has allowed you to sell Dota items on Steam, using the Steam Market (basically their version of the Auction house in Diablo 3). Right around the same time, due to the increased demand, they allowed the Dragonclaw Hook to drop normally. But - and here was the funny part - they only allowed it to drop for one day. After that day, it was deemed "immortal" (there are item levels in Dota, eg "common", "rare", etc) which meant that it would never drop again.

As a result, the Dragonclaw hook has skyrocketed in price, and last I checked it was going for (at least) $80, with some people asking up to $200. They also did this with a few other cosmetic items which were removed/made unavailable, but that one's my favorite because I actually own one (although I'm not going to sell it).

I sold my lovely hook for $60 eventually because apparently nobody who plays Dota knows how to work a market and the next day it was up to $100 :(

More recently: Valve put out a $35 item that makes a character, Lina, look like her original concept art and changes some icons and whatever (the fact that it's $35 is totally a grief in and of itself). Thing is, items are shown to everyone in the game and it also changed her little icon on the minimap which is obviously not a good idea for quick glances or for new players. So, like any reasonable developer would do, they made the minimap icon shown only to the player who has the item equipped.

Not a problem of any kind, right? Well apparently it's a huge problem and some people on the developer forum absolutely flipped their poo poo, one guy crying about how Valve is a company of scammers and he's going to issue a chargeback on PayPal and he'll see them in court, etc. If you haven't seen it: http://dev.dota2.com/showthread.php?t=78085 (must be registered, which requires having Dota 2 on Steam)

Griefing your customers, Valve?? how DARE you

Smarmy Coworker fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Mar 15, 2013

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

BillyRubin posted:

Sex Robot came back to his village and I watched as he tried to find the source of the sounds. He checked every building, and finally came across this one patch of dirt in the middle of a grassy area, which is where I dug down under his village. So, he started digging there. Luckily, beneath that block was a long hole that fell all the way down to a pressure plate. The dirt block fell down the hole when he broke it, which activated the pressure plate far below. A few seconds passed, and then one by one all of his hot air balloons started exploding out of the sky. I had left the booby trap knowing he would go to investigate the sound; he was smart enough to find the place I dug down from, and that was how I got him to blow up his own balloons.

How did you hook redstone up to the balloons? I thought they were floating in the air.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Ariong posted:

How did you hook redstone up to the balloons? I thought they were floating in the air.

A remote control mod?

BillyRubin
Dec 16, 2005
"Oh, and Senator, just one more thing."

Machai posted:

A remote control mod?

That is indeed the case. We were playing with a plug-in that used signs to do remote redstone stuff.

CheechLizard
Jul 1, 2000

It stays at 50%, goy!

Vietnamwees posted:

COD4 was a great game, and I remember goons had a great way of griefing the other team, but I think it only worked on one map, and it was called "Hush" or "Hushing"

In COD4's perk system, it was entirely possible to create a class/setup where you can be completely invisible to the enemy radar, even if they get a UAV(a thing that shows enemies on your HUD map). What goons did was get enough players for a full team, and have everyone use a setup that was completely stealth (invisible to UAV, all weapons silenced, and a Sniper Rifle main weapon because that made your character model a ghillie suit to help you hide in grass better) and as soon as the game started, everyone would spread out and just hide prone in the grass trying their hardest not to kill anyone for the entire game until the timer ran out. As you can imagine, the other teams would be really confused as to where they were and what was going on. I remember from the videos I saw that it really confused a lot of people since it was way different than the standard gameplay where everyone just runs around willy nilly and shooting everything that moves. One video I saw, the round was almost over but an enemy was walking right on top of a someone, and he had to kill him before he figured it out, so when the timer ran out, the final score was 0-1, which I thought was hilarious, though that was considered a failed Hush game. During a successful Hush game, the score would be 0-0.

Hidden Masters do something like this, they throw down some mines or claymores and then just lie down somewhere for the entire game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krvgIo8TpBw

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT

CheechLizard posted:

Hidden Masters do something like this, they throw down some mines or claymores and then just lie down somewhere for the entire game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chs3KexTF4Y

Scatterfold actually has some great videos too but you can see how some pubbies literally get on top of you, or you chase them around without them knowing.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Normally in Call of Duty, when you aim at a hostile enemy, their name appears in red over their head. The distance this occurs varies a bit by weapon/scope, but anyone up close will quickly be spotted if you aim at them, regardless of soft cover or lighting.

However, there's a perk variant that's been around in Call of Duty for a long time now, basically it's a 'stealthy' perk, and one of its effects is removing that red name popup.

Combine this with a glitchy behavior in earlier cod games (fixed more recently) where mashing the switch weapon button while you were prone would make you look like a corpse, instead of actively aiming your weapon like a 'live' player prone on the ground.

Normally this was just a funny and somewhat useful stealth tactic in a variety of modes, however...

There's a mode called Headquarters, where the teams compete to secure a randomly spawning location on the map. Once secure, the 'defenders' who hold the point no longer respawn, and the attackers can kill them off, destroy the point, and play moves on to the next point.

If any defenders are alive near the headquarters location, the attackers cannot destroy the headquarters, even if there is only one defender left alive in the vicinity.

This usually isn't an issue... unless said defender is prone on the ground in a room already littered with the bodies of attackers and defenders, with that perk, while mashing the switch weapon key, looking just like a corpse.

This would cause immense confusion in the pubby hordes. They'd swarm over your defenses, but then the last assigned 'dead man' would be chilling in the room on the floor in a corner, while the entire six man attacker team milled around the HQ (presumably swearing at their teammates and/or the buggy game for not defusing the hq).

At this point, the 'dead' player would rise from the ashes like a vengeful phoenix and unleash something suitably apocalyptic - typically a C4 charge delivered at point blank range, or, if the positioning was favorable, simply standing up and mowing down the entire attacking team, ideally with an LMG while yelling praises to Rambo or Allah.

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSAdc1Dc2vE

This is the best hush video.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Ringo Star Get posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chs3KexTF4Y

Scatterfold actually has some great videos too but you can see how some pubbies literally get on top of you, or you chase them around without them knowing.

We used to do something pretty similar to this in Modern Warfare 2, except with riot shields. We would just go find a corner in a map, or at the end of a hallway, and just make a ghetto goon shield wall. Pubbies usually would figure out where they were, but we went entire rounds without any of them figuring out how to actually kill any of us. :patriot:

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Giggily posted:

We used to do something pretty similar to this in Modern Warfare 2, except with riot shields. We would just go find a corner in a map, or at the end of a hallway, and just make a ghetto goon shield wall. Pubbies usually would figure out where they were, but we went entire rounds without any of them figuring out how to actually kill any of us. :patriot:

We won games of Domination using Riot Shields only and never attacking anyone

That shouldn't even be possible, but they would get so obsessed with trying to kill us as much as possible they'd fail to secure two points for any length of time

(In Dom, there are three control points scattered across the map - taking one is quicker with more players in the capture radius, and you cannot cap a point with any enemy inside it - and we would always have people inside the points with riot shields)

Smoke Grenades were also a nice addition to add to the general confusion and anger

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Daaamn. Someone call the Louvre!

Lerius
Mar 9, 2013
There is a text-based MUD I used to play called Darkmists. These days, the griefing potential is basically zero due to a very small playerbase. However, from about 98 to 2007 you could fine anywhere from 50 to 100 people to play with at most times of the day.

The game was a 'role-playing' multiplayer game with a good combat and player killing system, but was in practice a great, fast-paced player killing text game where the extent of roleplaying was basically communicating with 'Aye.' instead of 'Yup.'

Equipment was very, very important, could be very hard to find and acquire, and was most importantly, limited. Meaning that the absolute best, most pimpin' gear in the game might only have a hardcoded limit of 1 or 2 pieces. So, the best gear was very, very desirable and sought after. Did I mention that dying meant that all of your stuff is left in your corpse for anyone to take anything and everything out of it? :3:

So, much of the game at hero level (endgame content) revolved around finding excuses to have a roleplay reason to beat the everloving poo poo out of anyone that had the gear you wanted, and trying to get the 'perfect set'.

One of my griefs during my time there was to find the 'gear rings' that people would set up, where they would find ways to game the system and transfer gear between characters to either hoard gear they couldn't use, or transfer awesome gear that one character couldn't use to another character that could. These rings could involve several people, and they got seriously pissed when you found ways to screw with their gear. One of the rings was comprised entirely of players from Turkey, whose entire playstyle revolved around getting into big groups of 5-10 players and running around mindlessly trying to kill any single players they could find, and then hoarding their gear ad infinitum, even if they couldn't use it. They did this somewhat successfully for a while, as their mass-gangs made up for their somewhat low level of skill at the game. I almost ended up dying to them once, and decided to try and royally piss them off. I found one of their lower level alternate characters one day by putting the names in the 'who list' (a common command to see everyone on at the time) through a turkish translator and finding one that clicked.

After observing the character and who he met with/grouped with, etc. over the next couple of days, I figured out when and where they were doing their gear transfers, and had a good idea of which hero would be receiving the gear. I went to the place it was going down and laid low with an earthfade rod (makes it so nobody but a specific class can see you) and waited for about 10 minutes. Sure enough, the low level alternate character logs into the game right next to me, and a hero level character of one of the Turkish players logs in seconds later. The low level immediately drops a king's ransom worth of gear, which I (being unseen) pick up everything, come out of hiding, and kill the hero level character for the gear he is wearing. It was a huge haul of gear, and with one fell swoop, I easily erased at least 100 hours worth of work done by the Turkish gear ring. The rage over the next few days was amazing.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

computer parts posted:

That's dumb as hell, good lord. I even unlocked one of them back when they were in their seasonal/event chests and traded the thing off. Now I wish I'd at least kept the ugly thing to hock to people willing to pay that much for a pretty visually boring item. :v:

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Here is ye olde cod4 hush: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n919YqD7nHQ

If you go through his videos there's a game of us having a slumber party: basically, on this one map, there was a half-finished building, usually called the construction building. it has a a second level you can reach by stairs and two ladders, one on the side, one in the elevator shaft. It also had a basement, which you could only access by the stair well or the elevator shaft. What we used to do was bum rush the building(more or less, it was a popular point to 'go to' in the beginning of a game, but taking the ubilding was an immediate goal. Then we'd all pile into the basement (hopefully having more kills than the enemy team) and hide out there until ran out, violently murdering any boys who dared crash our slumber party.

The video in question has me playing for the first time after having a tooth removed, so I sound funny as hell between painkillers and a ball of cotton in my mouth.

In more Headquarters shenanigans, not every HQ had boundaries that made sense. Sometimes you could clip into one from the otherside of a wall or on top of a crate or something from another area. In one, the HQ started against against a gate, at the end of an alley. You could climb a stair way (on the otherside from the HQ) to get ontop of a walkway that went above the gate, and there was some scaffolding next to the HQ you could climb up. You could come at the alley from both ends of the alley, and from the building the walkway was attached to. There was also a dumpster, with a bunch of stuff in it, that you could lay in to capture the HQ. Even though you could see into from the top of the walkway/scaffold, if you used the previously mentioned bug (constantly switching weapons made your character kind of lean to the side and keep them from moving, whereas just having a gun had your character constantly twitching and using little idle animations) and people were distracted, smoke had been dropped, etc, and they'd get so confused.

Speaking of bugs, one of Call of Duty's 4 Killstreak rewards was an airstrike. Five kills and you could drop a series of cluster bombs on one part of the map. The thing was, the jets that dropped the bombs weren't static; they flew over the map the a set distance above where you dropped the airstrike. So if you dropped in on a 'fall to your death' type pit (wells, open missile silos) the jets would come screaming across the map, five feet above the ground, clipping through everything, driving people loving nuts. Both because it startled the gently caress out of 'em, and also because you 'wasted' an airstrike.

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
Flying HW harasses a 13 year old boy in TF2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECw4cHVmB9c

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

whatis posted:

The kid was kinda adorable :3:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Aw, that kid was so earnest that I felt bad for him.

"Really? You're that low in life?"

Also,

"You have to swear on the River Styx!"

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

whatis posted:

Everyone was a stupid kid at some point. I'm just glad youtube wasn't around when I was growing up to capture that stupidity for all time.
I don't even understand what he was so mad about. "He killed me in Team Fortress, time to report him!"

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

CheechLizard posted:

Holy poo poo you have to be a special kind of oblivious to miss those guys.

Lt. Dans Legs
Jul 3, 2008
Reading some griefing people did in L4D and L4D2, I remembered this trick me and some friends pulled:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psAwAQWFIE4

Some reference for people unfamiliar with the game, the trailer you see the Tank (big lumbering, yelling dude we're all laughing at) in is basically your last safe spot to heal up and get ready for the panic event coming up, which is basically just you running like crazy to turn off an alarm that constantly spawns huge hordes of zombies. This panic event is triggered as soon as you open the door leading to the area on the other side of the fence from us.

Sometimes a tank can spawn at this area even before the panic event, which in this case, it did. Now, I said it's a safe place to heal, but there IS a glass sunroof to the trailer that can be broken by infected to attack you inside. It's usually safe because most infected players know that attacking one of four survivors when they're all grouped into a small space is worthless, since you get hardly any damage in and need to wait another 15 seconds or so to spawn in which they will usually rush through the panic event to take advantage of having one less Special Infected (Non-regular zombie) to deal with. Tanks have an absurd amount of health however, 6000 as opposed to 600, the max for any other SI, so crashing down through the sunroof would actually be a good idea for them because a Tank can usually down a survivor at full health in 3-4 hits, and in a small area like the trailer, he could hit 2 or more people at once.

My friends and I hastily came up with a plan upon hearing the music that signals the Tank spawning to hole up in the trailer (with unbreakable doors) until he came crashing down through the sun roof, at which point we'd run out the door and leave him stuck in there, unable to break the doors down and unable to go back up through the sun roof. The rest you can see. I'm "BILLY MAYS HERE" in the video and it was the funniest and most unplanned grief I've ever done. The best part about it is that it's pretty much the only point in either game (post-patches, used to be you could trap a Tank in the safe room at the end of every level by juking him out and closing the safe room door) that you can completely trap a Tank, and it's incredibly lucky to both get a Tank spawn there AND have a team organized enough to pull it off. I've never been able to do it before or since.

whatis posted:

Usually not a fan of "look at me grief this dumb kid!" videos, but he was genuinely hilarious. Almost makes me think he wouldn't have been nearly as bad as most kids on videogames had he not been harassed by a flying Brass Beast Heavy. Still worth it though. "Yes I'm mad Paul! I'm always going to be mmmmad!"

Lt. Dans Legs fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Mar 17, 2013

Dec 26, 2012

Blind Sally posted:

Aw, that kid was so earnest that I felt bad for him.

"Really? You're that low in life?"

Also,

"You have to swear on the River Styx!"

I would have felt worse for him if I weren't hearing his voice. Ugh, that scream.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

SpazmasterX posted:

They're using a perk that hides their name and the crosshair coloring plus a glitch that basically turns them all into a black blob if they're placed right. I can see them being missed in the dark corner.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

SpazmasterX posted:

In their other videos they show the enemy POV and you see that it's really not that surprising they don't spot the hidden guys.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

whatis posted:

I feel like he is probably a pretty nice kid IRL, he just wasn't used to having someone harass him. It was pretty hilarious, but I really hope he was alone in his room while playing. I'd feel kind of embarrassed for him if he was somewhere his family could hear him saying that stuff.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Mokinokaro posted:

They're using a perk that hides their name and the crosshair coloring plus a glitch that basically turns them all into a black blob if they're placed right. I can see them being missed in the dark corner.

I'm just saying, when I played Blops 2 I made a habit of always checking that particular area specifically because it was hardly ever used. I'm just amazed that some of them basically walked over the whole group.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
They're used to having their enemies running around nonstop like crazy rabbits. So they just look for movement or the helpful glowing name over their heads.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Gorilla Salad posted:

They're used to having their enemies running around nonstop like crazy rabbits. So they just look for movement or the helpful glowing name over their heads.

Do people really look for the name? I always found which players were enemies due to the fact that they DIDN'T have a name while allies did.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Lady Naga posted:

Do people really look for the name? I always found which players were enemies due to the fact that they DIDN'T have a name while allies did.

It's a reflex thing: snap aim to movement and pull the trigger when red name pops up. gently caress with one of those things and you get enough of an advantage to win a quick-draw contest. gently caress with both and you can hide in plain sight.

Oppenheimer
Dec 26, 2011

by Smythe
Back in the MW2 days we used to run an all-stealth class in Search & Destroy, where you only had one life. We would just follow people around with silent footsteps and good SA and never be seen. Except when you died, you'd watch your teammates in 3rd person, and the dead guys could see us. One time I died and got to listen to the most over the top rage as my friend Kenny followed the last guy alive all over the map, and then when he planted the bomb, defused it by lying inside the guy while he planted and won the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allatum
Feb 20, 2008

Pillbug
I'm sure a few people may be familiar with Neverwinter Nights. Specifically the first one by Bioware, and its many private servers of great variety. You had your eternal dungeon run servers which might make Korean grindfests jealous, 'Social Servers' which equated to fantasy bound SecondLife play, full of cyber and horribly melodramatic stories. And then you had the Story and Roleplay servers, which weren't so much different from social servers except on the surface the cybering was obscured and not really advertised.

That didn't mean it didn't happen, and by extension that doesn't mean people didn't gently caress with the people who wanted to get their jollies on in dickchick-elf orgies or whatever the hell.

One such roleplaying server had the pleasure of me being a DM. And on this particular server were a couple of gems which I knew I could usually doing something, and I won't get into how messed up this whole system really was. But I was bored one particular day and found a couple of these stellar players doing their thing in a place that happened to also be open to public, and near a quest giving NPC. They were behind some closed doors, but said doors weren't locked (or lockable.) So I decided to grab my own NPC and lead a random wizard on an adventure to discover the greatest treasure of all (a broken mind.) After about an hour of leading the oblivious mage along, these two people were still at it by time the Wizard found his prize.

Clearly distressed, this player's first idea upon encountering emotes about slippery and engorged genitalia was to cast a confusion spell in the room. In Neverwinter Nights this works around the same way as it might play out in a Pen and Paper session. You have a chance to wander around, do nothing, or attack the nearest person or monster. Seeing as it was a small room with just the two, and the wizard a ways outside, the cyber session became a sudden cagematch of two chicks in their underwear punching eachother.

I felt my work had been done that day as a DM.

• Locked thread