Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

"I'm a really useful engine!"

tentish klown posted:

Has there been a round of promotions or are you the only one? Just because a friend of mine who works for network rail also just got promoted ARE YOU HIM?

Unlikely, it's a big company! Unless your mate is a signalling designer based in Reading...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

Bozza posted:

Speaking of electrification, the first headspans are up in Reading EMU depot and the cantilever/portal structures elsewhere are starting to appear locally. Great Western electrification starts here!

In other news, I have been promoted!

Very exciting!

Iohannes posted:

What I don't understand is why so many Glasgow suburban commuter lines aren't electrified, but then I remembered: Tories.

To be fair, like Woot says, Glasgow is super lucky when it comes to electrification thanks to being the beneficiaries of a few very forward-thinking planning decisions through the years.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-tN3XOQtV4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vl4hdOYLf3c

Seriously want to see more of these but everytime I've asked about them (I think I remember asking you Bozza?) I've been told they are most definitely not for public consumption.

Which is a shame.

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

thehustler posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-tN3XOQtV4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vl4hdOYLf3c

Seriously want to see more of these but everytime I've asked about them (I think I remember asking you Bozza?) I've been told they are most definitely not for public consumption.

Which is a shame.

Railway instructional videos are addictive in the most boring way possible. Here's a few people who post that sort of thing on Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/user/dannyscroggins
http://www.youtube.com/user/ACTractionLTD
http://www.youtube.com/user/Panarail
http://www.youtube.com/user/crompton33001
http://www.youtube.com/user/pclayto3

...and I mustn't forget crapBRvideos.

For some reason my favourite videos are SPAD ones, which you can usually just get with a few searches. After watching a few you will come to deeply love railway video celebrity Paul Tyreman. I once drunkenly tried to find his address so I could send him fan mail, unfortunately to no avail.

Finally, if you find yourself really hooked, consider getting the British Transport Film Collection (expensive but usually on offer somewhere.) It's got railway films dating back right to the formation of BR, and even covers things like British Road Services, which was once the nationalised roadfreight equivalent to BR. They include films meant for the public and also instructional films for staff. If that's a bit pricey, here's a full list (which I've only just found) of them all if you want to search for them online. Hope this all helps.

Jonnty fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Mar 14, 2013

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Thanks, those are great. Best thing is the music on some of them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhHj7C4l3mk

Edit: Seriously though I just want more RED videos.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Jonnty posted:

Finally, if you find yourself really hooked, consider getting the British Transport Film Collection

BTF films like Snow and Rail have never ceased to confound me, and yet they're two of the most entertaining films of the lot to watch.

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

Ofaloaf posted:

BTF films like Snow and Rail have never ceased to confound me, and yet they're two of the most entertaining films of the lot to watch.

I absolutely love Snow. Never seen Rail though, will have to watch it, thanks! It's just such a gorgeous way to see the railways as they once were.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Just managed to see the first episode of The Railway: Keeping Britain on Track and holy poo poo that was depressing. Constrasted even to what was seen in last year's The Tube, the sheer corporateness was depressing as gently caress. The engineers came off as pricks and the "front-line" workers looked like they were abused by both the passengers and their bosses. The episode I saw focused on King's Cross- is that the worst of it, or is it lovely like what I saw everywhere?

Wonder how that all contrasts to Amtrak out here...

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

Ofaloaf posted:

Just managed to see the first episode of The Railway: Keeping Britain on Track and holy poo poo that was depressing. Constrasted even to what was seen in last year's The Tube, the sheer corporateness was depressing as gently caress. The engineers came off as pricks and the "front-line" workers looked like they were abused by both the passengers and their bosses. The episode I saw focused on King's Cross- is that the worst of it, or is it lovely like what I saw everywhere?

Wonder how that all contrasts to Amtrak out here...

By engineers do you mean drivers? Given that they're possibly some of the unionised workers most demonised by the press, I wouldn't say it's particularly surprising they're defensive.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Jonnty posted:

By engineers do you mean drivers? Given that they're possibly some of the unionised workers most demonised by the press, I wouldn't say it's particularly surprising they're defensive.

They came off more as smug than defensive, really. One bit of the Railway episode focused on a series of delays at King's Cross, mentioned the drivers' union right to a 30 min. break between runs, explained that the delay seen on-camera was due to a lack of drivers for the trains at the station, followed around the station-master who was frantically trying to radio for any available driver please just get the trains moving, and then showed a driver finally swaggering into view and explaining he had been at the pub for his 30-minute break.

Ofaloaf fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Mar 16, 2013

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

Ofaloaf posted:

They came off more as smug than defensive, really. One bit of the Railway episode focused on a series of delays at King's Cross, mentioned the drivers' union right to a 30 min. break between runs, explained that the delay seen on-camera was due to a lack of drivers for the trains at the station, followed around the station-master who was frantically trying to radio for any available driver please just get the trains moving, and then showed a driver finally swaggering into view and explaining he had been at the pub for his 30-minute break.

Why does severe disruption mean their breaks are any less necessary? In fact, surely everything getting hectic and increased journey times make it more necessary? And as soon as they start making concessions at time of disruption, it'll just open the door to a constant chipping away of rights. Management would start attempting to redefine "disruption" to mean everything from 5 minute delays to other drivers going off sick and soon pretty much every day would feature break-busting "disruption." It's not all sunshine and rainbows - despite all his kisses and "leg-ends" that manager will still try and dick over his employees when he can. Incidentally, I imagine you'll find that in a lot of these cases drivers will probably cut their break short if they feel sufficiently refreshed and it just so happens that driver made for the best documentary footage.

Either way, I'd much rather my train was late than driven unsafely thanks to poo poo working practices.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Ofaloaf posted:

drivers can't rest, eat, piss, etc during their shift. if i recall correctly that train was about to embark on a several hour journey.
breaks aren't for fun, they prevent horrible death.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

I didn't like the manager in the King's Cross episode, I thought he came across as really fake. Otherwise everyone else seemed fine. I'd say that the episodes since that one have been much better though.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Jonnty posted:

Why does severe disruption mean their breaks are any less necessary? In fact, surely everything getting hectic and increased journey times make it more necessary?

Cerv posted:

drivers can't rest, eat, piss, etc during their shift. if i recall correctly that train was about to embark on a several hour journey.
breaks aren't for fun, they prevent horrible death.
I get that a break's healthy and downright necessary for proper saftety, but goddamn they just caught those drivers at the perfectly wrong moment. Rather than appearing pressed for time, the driver genuinely did seem to be swaggering to the station platform without a worry, while the guy at the platform was flipping his poo poo and the passengers seemed to be on the dge of rioting. I mean, that train ultimately ended up leaving an hour and ten minutes behind schedule because they couldn't find a driver. Was there absolutely no driver available sooner than that?

Lady Gaza posted:

I didn't like the manager in the King's Cross episode, I thought he came across as really fake. Otherwise everyone else seemed fine. I'd say that the episodes since that one have been much better though.
The manager spoke pure corporatese throughout the entire episode. He was the worst.

Testro
May 2, 2009
As you're all saying, the worst bit was the implication that it was the driver's fault for daring to take his 30 minute break. You just know that half of the country is watching it feeling irritated with the driver because he was the only one lacking any sort of urgency.

In reality, the problem lies with the train company. Presumably, they must have costed out the penalties of potentially late trains versus permanently having a bank of drivers on standby for when such an occasion arises and decided that they'd rather have late trains and pay the fines - but of course, that's not mentioned.

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

Ofaloaf posted:

I get that a break's healthy and downright necessary for proper saftety, but goddamn they just caught those drivers at the perfectly wrong moment. Rather than appearing pressed for time, the driver genuinely did seem to be swaggering to the station platform without a worry, while the guy at the platform was flipping his poo poo and the passengers seemed to be on the dge of rioting. I mean, that train ultimately ended up leaving an hour and ten minutes behind schedule because they couldn't find a driver. Was there absolutely no driver available sooner than that?

Oh don't be naive, the whole reason the drivers were mucked up was because there was earlier disruption. Only a small part of that delay would have been driver-related, and like Testro said, the real problem is that the TOC doesn't have enough staff on spare. That part was selectively edited to make you hate drivers and it's depressing to watch you fall straight into the trap.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
The manager almost feels like he watched Office Space and then did a combo of Lumberg and The Bobs. I suppose David Brent would be the local equivalent. Foive star service and if you don't want to provide that level of service then we'll find a new hotel for you to work in!

RANDOM EDIT: Googled David Brent and it looks like Gervais released a new David Brent video for Comic Relief.

EDIT EDIT: Is it just a running joke that the train to Leeds is constantly being canceled? I think every other concourse shot you could hear the train to/from Leeds being canceled over the PA.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Mar 17, 2013

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
My local bus stop is one stop away from the terminus, so you can imagine how irritating it gets when I watch two or three buses heading towards the terminus without any sign of a bus coming in the opposite direction.

It's irritating, but the drivers are entitled to a break between journeys. The solution to this problem is to leave my home a bit earlier.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Ofaloaf posted:

The manager spoke pure corporatese throughout the entire episode. He was the worst.
If the driver had run across the platform the train could have left an hour an nine minutes late instead of ten.

I'm not sure why you're holding up a panicky man as an example of good practice in a crisis. Calmer heads leads to better resolutions.

edit: This shows perfectly the major problem with the programme. It's all so very superficial it never gives enough of the background info about any aspect. There's no driver for the train - but it's never discussed if there's actually a shortage of drivers, if the management are really bad a rota-ing leaving no flex in the system, etc.
Instead we get an excessive volume of soap opera style personal lives of the people who work there.

Cerv fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Mar 17, 2013

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

Cerv posted:

edit: This shows perfectly the major problem with the programme. It's all so very superficial it never gives enough of the background info about any aspect. There's no driver for the train - but it's never discussed if there's actually a shortage of drivers, if the management are really bad a rota-ing leaving no flex in the system, etc.
Instead we get an excessive volume of soap opera style personal lives of the people who work there.

It's the same with fares - so many of the problems are structural but all we get are the opinions of the staff (which are usually "I hate being forced to take £300 off someone for a journey of a few hundred miles.") I did enjoy the mischievous editing during the David Cameron bit where they explained that most fare rises are the government's fault and then cut to a picture of the seat next to him on the train: "FIRST CLASS."

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug
I've tried to get drivers on spare to move units and they generally act as if it is the biggest inconvenience in the world. It's a pain in the arse and was consistently a problem for me, it wasn't just limited to one person. They're literally sitting around doing nothing and getting paid for it. Their whole purpose is being on standby in the event that a train needs to be moved or a driver needs replacing.

TheVertigoOfBliss
Jan 29, 2007
So youre saying all train drivers are bastards?

In actual contribution, Ive just caught up watching the Railway. Its amazing (or not) how basically all the problems could be solved just by providing enough staff. The lack of drivers on standby and in episode 5 where a guy enters a tunnel at a station and results in delays across london at rush hour. If there had been a guard on at the station the whole thing could have been avoided.

Also it becomes ever more abundant how Network Rail are basically responsible for any of the problems and associated fines which occur due to things which are largely out of anyones control; vandalism, trespass etc.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

How does funding of network rail compare to that for the train companies?

nozz
Jan 27, 2007

proficient pringle eater
If I'm reading this right: http://dataportal.orr.gov.uk/displayreport/report/html/8752da4c-fe20-4c1c-8a3d-5afd402f3f1d then train operators are currently paying in more money to the government than they receive, if you exclude PTEs. If you do include them, then rail companies received £81 million in 2011-12, while Network rail got £3.7 billion.

nozz fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Mar 20, 2013

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

"I'm a really useful engine!"

Hezzy posted:

I've tried to get drivers on spare to move units and they generally act as if it is the biggest inconvenience in the world. It's a pain in the arse and was consistently a problem for me, it wasn't just limited to one person. They're literally sitting around doing nothing and getting paid for it. Their whole purpose is being on standby in the event that a train needs to be moved or a driver needs replacing.

Well it is. What sort of trains were you trying to get moved? Where from and to where? Was it diagramed? Who had you authorised this with (control/signallers)?

To quote Sean Bean in a fantasy film: one does not simply move a train.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I've noticed a trend with off-peak trains on my local line leaving my station early.
We're only talking 2-3 minutes, but given that it's a suburban line and people who use it often might know exactly how long it takes to walk there from their home, it's a bit irritating when I have to sprint to catch a train I should have been a minute or so early for. (Also, there's only one train every 30 minutes, so missing one because it was early makes the wait particularly grating.)

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

kingturnip posted:

I've noticed a trend with off-peak trains on my local line leaving my station early.
We're only talking 2-3 minutes, but given that it's a suburban line and people who use it often might know exactly how long it takes to walk there from their home, it's a bit irritating when I have to sprint to catch a train I should have been a minute or so early for. (Also, there's only one train every 30 minutes, so missing one because it was early makes the wait particularly grating.)

That's a bit weird - it sounds like a silly question but are you sure your clock's right? Also, some stations have a rule where trains can shut anywhere between 30 seconds - 2 minutes before departure to allow them to close the doors etc. It's a bit silly, but is yours one of these?

Iohannes
Aug 17, 2004

FREEEEEEEEEDOM
I had a first on Monday. Missed the train, not because I was late but because it was full. I'm not talking a bit crowded, I'm talking Tokyo subway in rush hour full: so full the guard had to stop people trying to board it. Luckily I wasn't in a hurry and the buses accept train tickets, but I've never seen that before. I think the previous 4 carriage train was cancelled so this 2 carriage one was not going to be sufficient, but it's clearly not as simple as just running a bigger train what with all the logistics.

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

Iohannes posted:

I had a first on Monday. Missed the train, not because I was late but because it was full. I'm not talking a bit crowded, I'm talking Tokyo subway in rush hour full: so full the guard had to stop people trying to board it. Luckily I wasn't in a hurry and the buses accept train tickets, but I've never seen that before. I think the previous 4 carriage train was cancelled so this 2 carriage one was not going to be sufficient, but it's clearly not as simple as just running a bigger train what with all the logistics.

Where were you? I think there were signalling problems on the main Edinburgh-Glasgow route which might have messed things up.

Iohannes
Aug 17, 2004

FREEEEEEEEEDOM

Jonnty posted:

Where were you? I think there were signalling problems on the main Edinburgh-Glasgow route which might have messed things up.

I only caught the end of announcement and I had earphones in so I didn't hear the cause. If that was the cause that's some backlog since I'm on a commuter line that terminates in East Kilbride and comes into Central (I'm assuming that the main Glasgow-Edinburgh line you're referring to is the one out of Queen St rather than Central)

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

Iohannes posted:

This used to happen in the AM peaks on the Inner South London Line too but doesn't any more, Southern Railway solved the problem by withdrawing the service entirely :suicide:

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

This used to happen in the AM peaks on the Inner South London Line too but doesn't any more, Southern Railway solved the problem by withdrawing the service entirely :suicide:

That's a bit disingenuous - the line was absorbed into the orbital part of the London Overground network. No idea how that's affected service but if you can still use it I'd probably rather be on an LO train than an SR one.

nozz
Jan 27, 2007

proficient pringle eater
Apparently that service was actually removed because the Thameslink upgrade works will mean that there will be no room into London Bridge in the future. This did coincide with the Overground extension, so from a passenger perspective the change is that from several stations there is now no direct way to get to central London. The frequency and capacity has increased but journey times suffer since you have to change somewhere. Unfortunately the London Bridge to Victoria service was really annoying to actually operate - it took up valuable platform space at two very busy terminals (especially since these would be 2 coach trains).

Additionally this sort of thing wouldn't have been Southern's decision, a TOC can't just decide to stop a service. This particular change was scheduled to occur before Southern even won their current franchise.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Jonnty posted:

That's a bit weird - it sounds like a silly question but are you sure your clock's right? Also, some stations have a rule where trains can shut anywhere between 30 seconds - 2 minutes before departure to allow them to close the doors etc. It's a bit silly, but is yours one of these?

I tend to set my clock by the time on the station departure board, to try to avoid this sort of situation.
I made a point yesterday of looking at the departure board as I got on the train and it was very clearly two and a half minutes before scheduled departure time. The doors closed about 30 seconds later and the train left immediately.

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug

Bozza posted:

Well it is. What sort of trains were you trying to get moved? Where from and to where? Was it diagramed? Who had you authorised this with (control/signallers)?

To quote Sean Bean in a fantasy film: one does not simply move a train.

156 / 153 units usually. From the platform down to the sidings (with very low traffic). Wasn't diagrammed, but was requested by their TOC's control and OK'd with signaller. Their control did this a lot, usually to refuel, rewater or take a unit out of service because it was broken. Not sure why they couldn't contact their drivers directly but they always used to contact us and let us sort it out.

kingturnip posted:

I tend to set my clock by the time on the station departure board, to try to avoid this sort of situation.
I made a point yesterday of looking at the departure board as I got on the train and it was very clearly two and a half minutes before scheduled departure time. The doors closed about 30 seconds later and the train left immediately.

Remember that it is a "departure time". The train can be pulling out of the station at the specified time.

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

Iohannes posted:

I only caught the end of announcement and I had earphones in so I didn't hear the cause. If that was the cause that's some backlog since I'm on a commuter line that terminates in East Kilbride and comes into Central (I'm assuming that the main Glasgow-Edinburgh line you're referring to is the one out of Queen St rather than Central)
That line's a nightmare for sardine trains. I'm lucky because I get on at EK, but it gets properly loving crowded at times.

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

kingturnip posted:

Sounds like it's a "doors close 2 minutes before departure time" station where the train routinely gets the road slightly before it's due to leave and so, if the guard has finished closing the doors, can just leave immediately. It's a bit silly - I used to think 30s in Scotland was a bit much - but there should be signs around the stations telling you. Just mentally subtract 2 minutes from your departure time and you ought to be fine.

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

Hezzy posted:

156 / 153 units usually. From the platform down to the sidings (with very low traffic). Wasn't diagrammed, but was requested by their TOC's control and OK'd with signaller. Their control did this a lot, usually to refuel, rewater or take a unit out of service because it was broken. Not sure why they couldn't contact their drivers directly but they always used to contact us and let us sort it out.

I'm not entirely sure about the full role of spare drivers but if the TOC is routinely using spare drivers when there's no disruption and nobody off sick or whatever then it probably means they're employing too few drivers and the spare has every right to be annoyed.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past
You've not properly experienced sardine trains until you've tried Berthnal Green westbound during the morning peak.
It's gotten to the point where commuters go 1 stop east to Stratford to get on a westbound there and travel straight through Bethnal Green again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

sweek0 posted:

You've not properly experienced sardine trains until you've tried Berthnal Green westbound during the morning peak.
It's gotten to the point where commuters go 1 stop east to Stratford to get on a westbound there and travel straight through Bethnal Green again.

I've seen people doing this on the Northern Line, going as far south as Tooting from Clapham just to get on, let alone a seat.

• Locked thread