Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

loquacius posted:

Awww, they're havin' a see party. :3: Just a couple of eagle-eyed bros peepin poo poo up into the wee hours.

Hm. That reminds me. Did Dave know Terezi's eyes were healed? This wouldn't be the first time people have kept things from Karkat. Hussie often likes to have all the other characters already know a dramatic revelation once it's given to the audience and the character we were following at the time, if only to get everyone up to speed quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Line Feed
Sep 7, 2012

Seeds taste better with friends.

I honestly thought that the hood thing was just a coincidence and everybody was being paranoid. Shows what I know.

Terezi needs to stop hatedating Gamzee. She's too cool to serve Lord English. :ohdear:

Pentachronic Snail
Nov 2, 2011

Line Feed posted:

I honestly thought that the hood thing was just a coincidence and everybody was being paranoid. Shows what I know.

Terezi needs to stop hatedating Gamzee. She's too cool to serve Lord English. :ohdear:

Come on now, everyone needs to metaphorically fall from grace at least once in their life.

At least. :smith:

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
I can't help but see this tie into karkat's being "alone" and having Dave call hi a friend. Possibly resulting in the Makeout Meteor getting into shape to deal with the fallout from Jade/Jane takeover.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Toclafane posted:

I need to unload my current avatar since I am not actually a brony, and I am sort of thinking the new one should be Sollux slowly falling down the companionway. Unless someone already has dibs on this work of art, that is.
The hilarity of that specific scene is, unfortunately, too many frames to capture accurately in an avatar. Unless someone wants to prove otherwise.

Roger Explosion posted:

Great. My eyes just did a weird optical-illusion thing and saw Terezi's lips as a gawking mouth and now I can't unsee her as a porpoise.
It's almost like... just kinda... sorta...

cubivore
Nov 30, 2006

fuck you, got mine
Hahahaha oh my god, from since it updated to today I thought that this was a dumb update and what was the point??? Terezi and Karkat staring at each other in shock? Terezi sure looks beat up. Yeah.

Only now, reading the thread, did I actually realize Terezi's eyes got healed.

J.theYellow
May 7, 2003
Slippery Tilde

Line Feed posted:

We're assuming that they're both the same Gamzee.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

J.theYellow posted:

I think every universe in Homestuck would explode if there were two separate Gamzees.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Tecman
Sep 11, 2003

Loading the Universe...
Please Wait.

Pillbug
Hah, kinda beaten I guess. :)

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Tecman posted:

Hah, kinda beaten I guess. :)

Yours probably took more effort, though.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Calling it now, the next update is a cut-away to a strung-out Rose.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light
I read this update when it went up and I've only just now realised that Terezi can see again.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

J.theYellow posted:

Out of all of the ridiculous metaphysical rules that Homestuck operates by I think the one thing we can be pretty certain of is that there is exactly one Gamzee in existence, across all realities.

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

DaveKap posted:

The hilarity of that specific scene is, unfortunately, too many frames to capture accurately in an avatar. Unless someone wants to prove otherwise.

It's almost like... just kinda... sorta...

ahahaha how HIGH do you even have to be to DO something like that

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Thundarr posted:

Out of all of the ridiculous metaphysical rules that Homestuck operates by I think the one thing we can be pretty certain of is that there is exactly one Gamzee in existence, across all realities.

Point of order: nobody knows what happened to his dreamself.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Tunicate posted:

Point of order: nobody knows what happened to his dreamself.
It was assumingly killed like every other dreamself by Bec Noir. Unless he did actually go God Tier, which if that happened the dreamself just fused with the living self.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

lotus circle posted:

It was assumingly killed like every other dreamself by Bec Noir. Unless he did actually go God Tier, which if that happened the dreamself just fused with the living self.

One of the theories at the time (and probably too crazy to be real, but whatever) was that, just as Roxy's dreamself went wandering into the void when she got drunk, Gamzee's dreamself could have wandered off while he was constantly high and thereby survive the rampage of Jack Noir.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

lotus circle posted:

Didn't happen onscreen, unlike everyone else, and Hussie said he hasn't seen any timeline where Gamzee dies.

I figure that we've been left hanging long enough for it to be revealed formally sometime down the line.

Detective Buttfuck
Mar 30, 2011

So does this mean she has double vision now, from smelling and seeing at the same time? That must cause such headaches...

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Hence the hood, one presumes.

Wapole Languray
Jul 4, 2012

Except that there being no Gamzees dead makes no sense, as one of the hallmarks of a failed timeline are that everyone dies, hence why the Furthest Ring is full of dead trolls, while having few dead kids, due to Daves pro timeline management. Therefore, all the Gamzees from the multiple failed troll timelines escaped Paradox Justice by fleeing into the Furthest Ring. Therefore, I totally call there being a multi-timeline Gathering of the Juggalos, consisting entirely of Gamzees.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Wapole Languray posted:

Except that there being no Gamzees dead makes no sense, as one of the hallmarks of a failed timeline are that everyone dies, hence why the Furthest Ring is full of dead trolls, while having few dead kids, due to Daves pro timeline management. Therefore, all the Gamzees from the multiple failed troll timelines escaped Paradox Justice by fleeing into the Furthest Ring. Therefore, I totally call there being a multi-timeline Gathering of the Juggalos, consisting entirely of Gamzees.

If I remember correctly, didn't in-comic Hussie tell Caliborn that he's never seen a dead Gamzee?

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Beta timelines don't equate to everyone dead. It just often works out that way. A beta timeline is one that unravels and ceases to exist once it's relevance to the alpha has passed. Anyone still alive at the time also ceases to exist and presumably doesn't get a deadself. Dead beta selves are possible to find in the far rim because it exists outside chronological time, and so any dead beta players that become ghosts escape the beta-timeline's dissolution.
It's not explicitly stated in comic, but it seems pretty straightforward from the context we've been given.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
I'm guessing you're talking about this part from the first series of Caliborn Intermissions.

quote:

You know how it is with clowns.
NO??
They are notoriously difficult to kill for reasons that basically don't make any sense.
I'm personally not aware of a single timeline in which this codpiece packing moron dies.

But even if Gamzee does stay alive in other timelines, it only means that he is trapped in doomed timelines where he lives. Whether or not dreamselves count is a whole different thing because they are considered spare bodies and only seem to gain a separate consciousness after dying (see Jadesprite). I'm still thinking that Gamzee just can't die because he's already been cursed with immortality by Lord English, much like Handmaid and possibly HIC.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Wapole Languray posted:

Actually, going by BetaTimeline Rose, if you're alive when the Beta Timeline 'ends' (as in, when the time player goes back to fix it), then you don't die, you merge back into the original's subconscious. So if Gamzee was alive in all the beta timelines (like, say, if a bunch of them were where he murdered everyone else), then there'd be no dreambubble beta-timeline Gamzees, just one Gamzee who remembers lots of alternate realities where he killed everyone.

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

Bobulus posted:

Actually, going by BetaTimeline Rose, if you're alive when the Beta Timeline 'ends' (as in, when the time player goes back to fix it), then you don't die, you merge back into the original's subconscious. So if Gamzee was alive in all the beta timelines (like, say, if a bunch of them were where he murdered everyone else), then there'd be no dreambubble beta-timeline Gamzees, just one Gamzee who remembers lots of alternate realities where he killed everyone.

I think there was more prerequisite than just "being alive", otherwise the trolls would have had various memories of their session screwing up. Not EVERY failed timeline could be hallmarked by every single troll dying, in some of them surely they managed to avoid getting consistently murdered by clowns.

Rose feels like a special case, still, and it seems like it'd be too convenient for the non-Time players if their failures could be turned around with less tragedy and less beta-self angst. (I specify non-Time players, since I'm not sure a Time player can actually end up in a beta timeline if the alpha is partially a result of them having to fix it themselves, thus they'd be unable to be alive in one when it fades.)

Maybe being a certain kind of player and having both your alpha and beta selves asleep is part of the prerequisite, something Gamzee surely could have easily done.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Doomed Rose went to sleep as her timeline resolved itself and ceased to exist. That seems to be what let her consciousness merge with Alpha Rose's.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Midnight Raider posted:

I think there was more prerequisite than just "being alive", otherwise the trolls would have had various memories of their session screwing up. Not EVERY failed timeline could be hallmarked by every single troll dying, in some of them surely they managed to avoid getting consistently murdered by clowns.

Rose feels like a special case, still, and it seems like it'd be too convenient for the non-Time players if their failures could be turned around with less tragedy and less beta-self angst. (I specify non-Time players, since I'm not sure a Time player can actually end up in a beta timeline if the alpha is partially a result of them having to fix it themselves, thus they'd be unable to be alive in one when it fades.)

Maybe being a certain kind of player and having both your alpha and beta selves asleep is part of the prerequisite, something Gamzee surely could have easily done.

I honestly think Hussie may have changed his mind about how Beta timelines work once or twice during the story, and Rose merging with her alpha dreamself is just one of the little leftover inconsistencies. No one else has ever reported getting beta-timeline memories from a failed session. I guess it's possible all the trolls were killed in all their beta timeline sessions (minus Gamzee), meaning the dream bubbles are full of complete sets of dead trolls and Gamzee remembers every beta timeline because he merged with them all?

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

It's entirely possible, but if he'd decided to change things up, I do wonder why he brought up the merger back when everyone was greeting Meenah.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I'm pretty confident, based upon no evidence whatsoever, that all of those beta Gamzees merged with alpha Gamzee either using the same method as Rose or through some other ridiculous clown bullshit. It wouldn't be the most nonsensical thing about him. None of them ever died and he has the supernatural ability to always be where and when he needs(?) to be, to the point where he has literally become the linchpin of the alpha timeline across multiple universes.

The Most Important Character in Homestuck wasn't a red herring pointing to Lil Cal off camera in his lap. It really was referring to Gamzee.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Dolash posted:

just one of the little leftover inconsistencies.

Like how Jade's dreamself was able to grow a bunch of extra arms.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Ariong posted:

I like to think Vriska once gave herself multiple arms and became The Spider, but maybe that is too wishful.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

"WHO 1S TH1S H1D3OUS FR34K ST4R1NG 4T M3"

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

Ariong posted:

Dreamselves being ruled by dream logic and accordingly being kind of different personality-wise is one of the things I really wish Hussie was mindful to stick with, though I can see why he dropped the idea.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I've tried to rationalize it as the difference between dreaming as a dreamself, and using one as a spare body. Maybe Jade was just extra loopy, by dreaming standards.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

YggiDee posted:

I've tried to rationalize it as the difference between dreaming as a dreamself, and using one as a spare body. Maybe Jade was just extra loopy, by dreaming standards.

John didn't seem that loopy back when his dreamself was on the battlefield.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
The dreamself mechanics have always been fuzzy and shall we say, dreamlike. You can fanwank it - maybe all of Jade's dream weirdness has something to do with her's being awake so much earlier than everyone else's - but it's mostly just a weakly defined part of the story. Probably at least partially design, to give Andrew some flexibility in how he moves the plot along.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

That bothered me too, and so awhile back I made a dumb theory post on tumblr trying to rationalize it out just for fun. My best guess was that it ties back into a lot of other weird stuff that goes on with dreamselves. Like how some injuries to the real self cross over and some don't. Short of the real self dying, how the dreamself looks seems to match how the character thinks they should look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I'm certain characters would act differently when they think they are asleep.

A dream self who has not been "awakened" by the death and subsequent replacement of a waking self might also mark the loss of the dream self's abilities such as flight.