Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

quantum_squirrel
Aug 9, 2006
You know, what the Kickstarter-darling, premature misbirth of console, OUYA, needs?

OUYA Gaming Source a site and weekly webshow about "hot" and "upcoming" games for the OUYA

Goal: 7000 bucks, 5 days to go, got $4,573

And what are the rewards?
Basically Ad space... $ 2000 for a one-month reskin of the site, $ 3000 if you want it to be designed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Yo who wants a super-racist manga clone?

quote:

We are giant nerds. We go to anime conventions, watch anime, read manga, and cosplay. But even more than that, we want to contribute to the fandom that we love so much. We want to create, and we want to show the world what we've made. We want nothing more than to introduce the rest of the world to characters like Big Lips Dorothy, the trailer park ho, and Pimpsferatu, not to mention Shaniqua’s primary antagonist, The Vice Squad, as well as the evil, drug-abusing Gold Diggers syndicate, but right now, we’re stuck.

Meet Shaniqua No Ho.

Sid Delicious
Oct 31, 2007
:sidvicious:

Wow all it takes to make a Kickstarter is having people call you the wrong name? I've been getting called Mason and Jasone my entire life. Its Nathan god dammit. Also my grandma calls me Brian but I think that's just because she's senile. Welp, brb making a Kickstarter.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

quantum_squirrel posted:

You know, what the Kickstarter-darling, premature misbirth of console, OUYA, needs?

OUYA Gaming Source a site and weekly webshow about "hot" and "upcoming" games for the OUYA

Goal: 7000 bucks, 5 days to go, got $4,573

And what are the rewards?
Basically Ad space... $ 2000 for a one-month reskin of the site, $ 3000 if you want it to be designed

It is strange, they clearly went to some trouble to make the presentation look good, but then they interview those two guys in the worst lightning possible, they couldn't go outside, or simply open a window to make it looks less nerdy?

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Syrg Sapphire posted:

Meet Shaniqua No Ho.

Jesus Christ. The Japanese title is loving atrocious as it's content. "Shaniqua's Ho"?

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Young Freud posted:

Jesus Christ. The Japanese title is loving atrocious as it's content. "Shaniqua's Ho"?

I was really gunning for Shaniqua's Bizarre Hoventure, personally.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Syrg Sapphire posted:

Meet Shaniqua No Ho.

And of course, the very first thing you see when playing the video is these guys.

Dude on the right, you're asking people for money. At least TRY to look professional. I mean, your friend at least has a collared shirt.

Sid Delicious
Oct 31, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

And of course, the very first thing you see when playing the video is these guys.

Dude on the right, you're asking people for money. At least TRY to look professional. I mean, your friend at least has a collared shirt.

But don't you see, there is nothing classier than anime vampires!

quantum_squirrel
Aug 9, 2006
I was asking myself, whether the author/s of "My Neighborhood Ho Shaquina" were white, but then
That's whiter than white. That video is a perfect "How not to do a video for your Kickstarter".
Someone should really do an awful kickstarter bingo.

Oh and your money goes to illustration, so it's the classical case of idea-guys wanting money.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Waffleman_ posted:

He's appealing directly to his audience by letting them know he's one of them.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Miss Kalle posted:

I assume it's because it's taking the piss out of some of these types of Kickstarters? But it's still a dumb thing to put on there in the first place (hence the 'somewhat').

Plus his name is Brody which is infinitely worse

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Waffleman_ posted:

Oh lord I want to put two :goonsay: under them

Beanpants
Oct 27, 2004

Waffleman_ posted:

At New York Comic Con, I had an appointment with a publisher to talk about putting out a book I was working on. When I made my way to their booth to meet up with the editor, these two guys were there pitching this project. They had a scant four pages of artwork, and a goddamn phonebook of a pitch/lore bible. The blonde with the prince albert haircut was wearing the bottom half of an Inuyasha costume. They mimed out scenes and would constantly compare the project to other existing IP's, most notably pokemon.

Thier pitch lasted for 20 minutes, and was thoroughly embarrassing to watch.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I really enjoy how their credentials are basically "we watch a lot of anime and read a lot of manga".

Oh and:

quote:

We've already commissioned some sample pages from Alter Comic studio, and they're ready to go to draw the rest!

No wonder they said each page costs $75, it's all outsourced. Quality of that art certainly doesn't feel like $75 a page though!

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

Srice posted:

No wonder they said each page costs $75, it's all outsourced. Quality of that art certainly doesn't feel like $75 a page though!

Nah, see that's the best part: The artist who did the stuff they already have apparently quit to start a career in e-sports. I have no idea if that's true or if that's just what he told them after he woke up that morning with a cold sweat and the realization that he was drawing a comic called Shaniqua No Ho.

For bonus points, they've been taking questions about the comic via tumblr:

In short he says "Yeah our High School aged protagonist is a prostitute, but it's cool cause I ran the script by my prostitute friend that I totally have!"

Dogdoo 8
Sep 22, 2011

Drakkel posted:

Nah, see that's the best part: The artist who did the stuff they already have apparently quit to start a career in e-sports. I have no idea if that's true or if that's just what he told them after he woke up that morning with a cold sweat and the realization that he was drawing a comic called Shaniqua No Ho.

In short he says "Yeah our High School aged protagonist is a prostitute, but it's cool cause I ran the script by my prostitute friend that I totally have!"

I can believe that he has a prostitute.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

quantum_squirrel posted:

That's whiter than white. That video is a perfect "How not to do a video for your Kickstarter".
Someone should really do an awful kickstarter bingo.

I couldn't find any decent bingo card templates, so I made this terrible thing in Word.

Sid Delicious
Oct 31, 2007

Pyroclastic posted:

I couldn't find any decent bingo card templates, so I made this terrible thing in Word.

What the gently caress is dieselpunk? Is this a real thing?

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Sid Vicious posted:

Every possible permutation of -punk has been covered at this point, except punk-punk.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyberpunk_derivatives

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

So this is making the rounds, amusing enough
http://printedinternet.tumblr.com/post/44794042812

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Humboldt squid posted:

Every possible permutation of -punk has been covered at this point, except punk-punk.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyberpunk_derivatives

Still surprised there's no Googiepunk or Brutpunk. Then again, anything sci-fi in the 70s was probably Brutpunk.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Sid Vicious posted:

Yeah picture steampunk only the smoke is black diesel smoke and there's more internal combustion engines and less clockwork poo poo.

You can find a random -punk for any aesthetic these days, it is dumb.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Cavepunk: because Flintstones had the true vision of the future

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!

I think he's self-aware that his projects are absurd, but not a direct parody of Kickstarter.

Notice the other 4 projects created by "Ridiculo.us"? He has successfully funded a riff of 50 Shades of Grey in which each page is a different shade of grey, a fake marathon in which a bunch of people pretend they're in a real race for some reason, and an app to auto-shop a beard onto baby pictures. His latest campaign for a device that makes your voice sound auto-tuned through an iphone somehow failed to meet its goal, but so far he has made about $34,000 in low-effort gimmick Kickstarter campaigns in about a year's time. Interestingly, despite all of these campaigns being created by one man, every new project lists his location as being a different city.

Chewbot has a new favorite as of 09:43 on Mar 19, 2013

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Chewbot posted:

Interestingly, despite all of these campaigns being created by one man, every new project lists his location as being a different city.

Maybe he gets run out of town a lot?
"We don't appreciate your type 'round here, boy. Folks 'round here run honest crowdfunding campaigns that support the community and that's how we aim to keeps it."
/spits baccy juice.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Ok see now I'm genuinely curious, when someone does a super meta self-aware ironicfunder, what happens when the honeymoon is over and people realize Emperor Clothing Co. LLC is just an empty office building with a disconnected phone.

On some level it might not be much different than some bullshit dada milking installation in a modern art gallery that's literally a plate of poo poo that the artist was paid thousands for. Only in this case the gallery is Kickstarter.

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012
Could it be that the "user" is actually a group of people based in different cities?

Alan Smithee posted:

On some level it might not be much different than some bullshit dada milking installation in a modern art gallery that's literally a plate of poo poo that the artist was paid thousands for. Only in this case the gallery is Kickstarter.

And people actually giving money to the kickstarter starter for that thing.

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

red white and blue forever

Drakkel posted:

There's an entire FAQ about "isn't this offensive" where, amazingly, there are questions besides "THE gently caress IS WRONG WITH YOU?"

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

from that loving FAQ posted:

Q: But this is still really offensive.

A: That’s not technically a question, but yes it is. Most good satire is offensive on some level.

Presented without comment.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/902655470/headflat-the-smartphone-hands-free-solution

Obviously the best place to put my expensive phone is hanging off my hat a good foot from my face!

E: Did you guys know that your iPhone is as big as a 60 inch HDTV if you just hold it a foot from your face?

Waffleman_ has a new favorite as of 17:54 on Mar 19, 2013

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

I'd be terrified that'd fall on my face.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Waffleman_ posted:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/902655470/headflat-the-smartphone-hands-free-solution

Obviously the best place to put my expensive phone is hanging off my hat a good foot from my face!

E: Did you guys know that your iPhone is as big as a 60 inch HDTV if you just hold it a foot from your face?

Don't you hate hands? If so, you're going to love the headflap

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I think the Bingo card needs a new space for "Use of product makes you look like a tool."

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

Waffleman_ posted:

Ah yes, why buy a big screen television when you can simply move your face closer to a small one.

efb while I was looking for that Red Dwarf joke about Krytens zoom function not working.

Tears In A Vial has a new favorite as of 18:00 on Mar 19, 2013

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

That product already exists as the "On Seen as TV" product, TV Hat.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soWvq_oigmE
It's really dumb.

BoutrosBoutros
Dec 6, 2010
My computer broke last week so my only way to watch videos was on my phone. I would have paid ten bucks for a tv hat; my arms get tired.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

BoutrosBoutros posted:

My computer broke last week so my only way to watch videos was on my phone. I would have paid ten bucks for a tv hat; my arms get tired.

My iPhone case came with a free stand. It's a simple piece of plastic that folds up to support the phone. You can get something like that for dirt cheap with the added benefit of not looking like a loving moron.

BoutrosBoutros
Dec 6, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

My iPhone case came with a free stand. It's a simple piece of plastic that folds up to support the phone. You can get something like that for dirt cheap with the added benefit of not looking like a loving moron.

Stands need something to stand on and my couch isn't a good surface for it. Who gives a gently caress what you look like in your own home anyway.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

You have a table, don't you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Waffleman_ posted:

You have a table, don't you?

Yeah, but I'd need a hat to hold the table in front of me. There are just too many holes in your logic.