Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
I would definitely go for all new weatherstripping if you are going to replace the whole top, it will more than make up for it in the long run and you can get it all done in one shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

You're probably right, but I'm having a hard time justifying spending more then half of what I paid for a new top on a few pieces of rubber stripping. This is really loving annoying, why does no one but Mazda make these?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Think of it this way: they've lasted 17 years in the Florida sun.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006
My Nielex console came in today, it was worth the $400, I'll say that much.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Go back to mnet clubchodestar.

(it's nice)

Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander
:h:WE LOVE YOU:h:
So I dropped my 2008 NC soft top off at the dealer to get LoJack installed and asked them to look at the rear defrost since it's not working. I pick up my car and the guy says that the defrost strips have been 'busted off of the glass' and they're not making contact anymore so that's why it's not working, something along the lines of the circuit not staying closed so electricity doesn't flow through the defroster. He says that the only way to get the defrost working is to replace the rear window with a new one, does this sound legit? I've looked on all kinds of Miata forums and can't seem to turn over anything related to what he said.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

"Busted off the glass" makes no sense, but I bet if you get an ohmmeter and probe the defroster grid you get an open circuit. They at least used to sell conductive paint you could use to paint over whatever trace was destroyed instead of having to replace the entire defroster.

Look closely at it, are there any scratches / gaps in the defroster?

Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander
I'll have to take a look at it tomorrow when there is more light but nothing out of the ordinary that I could remember, I've got a ohm meter as well so I'll probe around the connections to see if everything is honkey dorey. The defrost light actually turns on and I can hear the relay 'click' on under the hood when I press the button so I know it's not those at least. I'm curious if it was accidentally disconnected from the harness that runs from the trunk..

If worse comes to worst the dealer might ask me to go half-sies on my deductible for my extended warranty which is only $100 out of pocket, not bad for a new rear window (glass one at that).

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Just curious, but why did you feel the need to get LoJack? Are NC's a popular car to steal or something?

fag magnet
Nov 29, 2000
judging by my dealer negotiations, NCs are not a popular car period

Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander
It was three parts; one parts salesmanship on my finance officer's part, one part great deal (got the entire LoJack package for $750 installed) and one part my paranoia of where I have to park my car for work. My work lot gets frequented by a lot of unsavory company during the day and more than once a co-worker's car has been broken into or stolen so I'm just covering my bases (also no, my work refuses to do anything about the break-ins or cover costs of vandalism).

From what I understand NCs are not popular to steal, especially ones equipped with the advanced key-less entry like mine since it's too much work for your average car thief.

Edit: /\/\ & \/\/ I got mine for almost $5k under blue book, it really is a great bargain right now to get a NC.

Tanz-Kommandant fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Mar 17, 2013

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

fag magnet posted:

judging by my dealer negotiations, NCs are not a popular car period

It's a near end-of-life model that is a niche/pleasure vehicle (for most owners) coming out of a recession, so that's not surprising. The NC is a great car and it sold fairly well for its first several years on the market, but it's pretty stale at this point. Especially with the rumors of the next-gen Miata being more "aggressive".

I kind of wish I had some dollars to burn and a garage to store a second car in, I'd love to pick up a hugely discounted NC.

Alzabo
Oct 23, 2002

You watched it, you can't unwatch it.
Got a lead on a '92 Sunburst Yellow Miata.

What's the market value these days on a '92 with 150k miles with a good unibody, and how much is the "yellow tax".

Thanks.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

If it's completely stock and in mint condition maybe 500 to 1k more than a red one in the same condition. Or if it has an original paint hard top add more for that on top of the cost of a hard top. Otherwise, not gonna matter much. It pretty much comes down to how bad you want it, if yellow is not your thing don't even bother, because some people love them and will be willing to pay more.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Over the weekend I decided to refresh my soft-top latches. The old ones had a very strange corrosion underneath the paint. I sanded off all the old paint, applied primer, and then two layers of the finest, cheapest spray paint I could find. I added a few layers of clearcoat, for what good it will do. I also sanded off all the paint from the bolts, and polished them. I think the look is somewhat unique, and it was easier than painting them.

It think it looks better than before, and cheaper than paying $145 each just for the handle latches (not even for the receivers!)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I love the new thread title and am taking full credit for dragging this thread back down again.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!

Granite Octopus posted:

Over the weekend I decided to refresh my soft-top latches. The old ones had a very strange corrosion underneath the paint. I sanded off all the old paint, applied primer, and then two layers of the finest, cheapest spray paint I could find. I added a few layers of clearcoat, for what good it will do. I also sanded off all the paint from the bolts, and polished them. I think the look is somewhat unique, and it was easier than painting them.

It think it looks better than before, and cheaper than paying $145 each just for the handle latches (not even for the receivers!)

Looks great! My drivers side latch is a bit worn out and after a few heavy bumps it becomes slightly unlatched and forms a slight gap in the top left of the top. Did you replace the springs or anything or just paint them?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Granite Octopus posted:

That's a big improvement, well done :)

I have some similar corrosion, mostly on some screws and bolts under the hood though. Any ideas what might be causing this? I don't think I've seen this type of corrosion on any other cars.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Finally getting around to putting the dash back in my 91 miata and have a dead instrument cluster. Blinker indicators on the dash work but nothing else does, car starts up fine and all my lights (high/low/brake/reverse) work. All the fuses are good so now I'm trying to figure out what is messed up.

One thing I haven't tried is hooking up the center console (hazard/lights) and the hvac panel but I don't think that would cause the dash to be dark.

Anything that is commonly forgotten or missed when putting these things back together? If not I'll start going through the wiring diagrams again.

SiB
May 6, 2005
For any V8 guys, or people with V8 experience, what is the recommended kit for an NA? FM? V8 roadsters? Boss Frog?

Looking into a LSx and a 4L60E (ya thats right, auto trans)

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Flyin' Miata looks like they have excellent kits, but I don't think they cater to autos

https://www.flyinmiata.com/V8/

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Pushing around the idea of picking this up for the summer for the little woman to learn standard on (she's having a hard time with the Saabaru), then reselling it once the weather turns again. I know nothing about the Miata market - is this a fair price, and what would be a good price?

AF
Oct 8, 2007
hi
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFLWzLJY3TU

Asssss. Why don't they make this exhaust for the NA?! It sounds great. I want something louder than stock, but I don't want any rasp added in. I'm considering the Racing Beat Power Pulse but it sounds really quiet from what I've seen in videos.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

blk posted:

Pushing around the idea of picking this up for the summer for the little woman to learn standard on (she's having a hard time with the Saabaru), then reselling it once the weather turns again. I know nothing about the Miata market - is this a fair price, and what would be a good price?

Seems maybe a touch high, but its pretty low mileage so maybe not. I can say that the Miata is a perfect car to teach standard on, I used my NA to teach my girlfriend who has never touched manual before and she picked it up really quick. Not even a single stall.

Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander
So I took a look at the car today, yeah the defrost is getting power and the element is scratched to gently caress so it's not conducting, bummer. I decided to clean the interior and adjust the clutch pedal while I was out and about, engages so much better now. Weather was perfect too so I got some top-down driving on my grocery/car wash run. I did notice lots of new rock chips on the front bumper after I washed it though, spring is brutal in the Pacific Northwest for road debris :(

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

blk posted:

Unless your upscale WRX drives like a tractor I doubt that switching cars is going to help much.

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

destructo posted:

Unless your upscale WRX drives like a tractor I doubt that switching cars is going to help much.

The idea might be to get another car for her to rag out instead of grinding gears on the nicer vehicle?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

The clutch on a WRX is a lot stiffer than a Miata, so it may be a bit easier to do.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
I can't stop looking at the install instructions for the FM turbo kit... I just feel like it would almost be wasted on my car since it's a 200,000 mile rustbucket.
I mean, I can always remove it and put it on a nicer car if mine blows up...

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

blk posted:

I think that's a decent deal, but it won't be any easier/harder than learning on a Saabaru.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

Voltage posted:

I can't stop looking at the install instructions for the FM turbo kit... I just feel like it would almost be wasted on my car since it's a 200,000 mile rustbucket.
I mean, I can always remove it and put it on a nicer car if mine blows up...

The B6 and BP engines are surprisingly durable and take forced induction pretty well even with higher mileage. If your leakdown numbers look good (not an optional test), then redoing all the oil seals and considering doing the headgasket might work just fine.

My first 323 GTX (A factory B6 turbo) had 180K miles on it, had less than 5% leakdown on all cylinders, and the bores looked brand new when I took the head off to deal with a burned valve seat.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
I'll definitely look in to getting that test done. If I were to turbo it, rebuilding the motor wouldn't be out of the question since I have always wanted to do that with something.

phootnote
Mar 6, 2006
sleighted!
I went to look at a 99 silver miata today. It looks clean aside from few scratches(not too noticable unless looking for it), clean carfax, and about 79k miles on it with 3 previous owners. The asking price is 7.4k. I believe it is the LS option because it has leather interior and bose system. It hasn't had any of the 60k maintenance done from what the dealer tells me. It comes with both the soft and hard top. Is 7.4k a good price for this miata? What price would be reasonable to negotiate to? This car is a Texas car from what the carfax says.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

phootnote posted:

I went to look at a 99 silver miata today. It looks clean aside from few scratches(not too noticable unless looking for it), clean carfax, and about 79k miles on it with 3 previous owners. The asking price is 7.4k. I believe it is the LS option because it has leather interior and bose system. It hasn't had any of the 60k maintenance done from what the dealer tells me. It comes with both the soft and hard top. Is 7.4k a good price for this miata? What price would be reasonable to negotiate to? This car is a Texas car from what the carfax says.

With proof of maintenance and hardtop, I'd offer $6k and pay a max of $6.5k.

Offer 5.4k and pay 6k. The 60k maintenance isn't hard to do.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Local newspaper did an interview with me: http://www.theonion.com/articles/man-with-strong-brand-loyalty-willing-to-kill-for,31761/

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003
Well, this turned out easier than the internet had me expecting.

Manifold nuts came off with barely a complaint. Two of the studs came out with their nuts, but that'll be nothing to fix. The hardest bit was getting the EGR pipe union nut off -- had to find a wrench of just the right length to slip past the inside of the frame rail there. And beat on it with the BFH. Still, job done.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
That motor looks very clean.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I've been having a hard time with first gear, really gotta ease into it, and sometimes it's almost impossible to get into first while rolling at a slow pace. I changed the gear oil and put in some full syn Motorcraft but it didn't help the first gear issue at all. Is this a sign of the master/slave going or is it the syncros? Maybe I need to bleed the clutch?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Double clutch and rev match like a boss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Well when I'm sitting still or coming out of reverse that doesn't help much :(

I just hope the syncros aren't making GBS threads the bed already.