Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Revener
Aug 25, 2007

by angerbeet

Dick Trauma posted:

I still haven't been to a game dungeon that felt grubbier than The Subway. Giant fleas, flyswarmed infectors. Yuck.

Fighting your way past half-rotten dogs and fleas only to meet up with someone in a giant trench coat holding not one but two uzis with a floating flash-bot. And then poo poo got real.

Subway, in a lot of ways, still hasn't been beaten on flavor grounds I'll agree 100%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Revener posted:

Fighting your way past half-rotten dogs and fleas only to meet up with someone in a giant trench coat holding not one but two uzis with a floating flash-bot. And then poo poo got real.

Subway, in a lot of ways, still hasn't been beaten on flavor grounds I'll agree 100%.

And then an Empty Shell casts Weight of the Guilty on you and you're out of purge stims. :negative:

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo

plehsistential posted:

ToTw best dungeon. Get all the way down to legionnaires only to find like 10 other groups there and then someone trains and everyone runs all the way back out the entrance. :sigh:

Why are there no trains in modern mmorpgs? It's like the best feature of the old ones :haw:

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years
I thought AO 'dungeons' were instances?

Revener
Aug 25, 2007

by angerbeet
No you could actually meet random people inside them.

Peechka
Nov 10, 2005

Danith posted:

I thought AO 'dungeons' were instances?

They had both. It actually was the first game to have instances. When the game released they had mission terminals which sent you to random locations and you had an instanced random generated mini dungeon for yourself or your group.

Then there was world dungeons which were social but when they got too crowded another instance would spawn of itself. I remember there were problems with this becaue you would be in a group and zoned into this dungeon but others in your team would zone into another instance of it. So youhad to exit the dungeon and go back in until all of you were in the same one.

Parts of this game were so broken and buggy, but it was so far ahead of its time IMO. One of the best mmorpg experiences I had. I used to go back and forthe between this and EQ at the time.

I know many of you hated the Shadowlands expansion, and granted it sucked because it tried to turn our beloved AO into some pseudo fantasy game. But I liked that time frame because it broght back many people and it was one of the more popular times to play AO.

Peechka fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Mar 16, 2013

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

The areas which you pull from mission terminals are instanced. Places like subway, totw and such, are not.

efb

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Mission terminals used a token system where the terminal spawned a key in your inventory. You could duplicate this key to give others access to your dungeon, it was pretty nifty.

Peechka
Nov 10, 2005

Fewd posted:

The areas which you pull from mission terminals are instanced. Places like subway, totw and such, are not.

efb

Yes they were. Granted they were "social" but they definitely were instanced with a population soft cap. You dont remember zoning back and forth to find the right instance your group was in?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Revener posted:

I forgot about that constant scratching noise the fleas make. I'm glad computer games aren't in smell-o-vision.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Peechka posted:

Yes they were. Granted they were "social" but they definitely were instanced with a population soft cap. You dont remember zoning back and forth to find the right instance your group was in?

Oh right, those gridselector things or whatever it was called. But still, they were pretty large so they're about as close to uninstanced as you get today.

e: drat it, I almost want to sub a month but I know I'll just end up slumming around Borealis and getting bored.

Fewd fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Mar 16, 2013

Peechka
Nov 10, 2005

Fewd posted:

Oh right, those gridselector things or whatever it was called. But still, they were pretty large so they're about as close to uninstanced as you get today.

Yep I think its the right idea to have social dungeons in the game while keeping them from getting overcrowded. Remeber tower of three winds? And the stygian desolator? Or foremans?

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Peechka posted:

Yep I think its the right idea to have social dungeons in the game while keeping them from getting overcrowded. Remeber tower of three winds? And the stygian desolator? Or foremans?

Remember s10

Peechka
Nov 10, 2005

killstealing posted:

Remember s10

Or the Crypt of Home?

Revener
Aug 25, 2007

by angerbeet

Dick Trauma posted:

I forgot about that constant scratching noise the fleas make. I'm glad computer games aren't in smell-o-vision.

As soon as I read this I instantly and fully remembered exactly the sound you're talking about.

How are there fan servers for games far more complicated and less popular, but not for AO? I'd kill for an expansionless server.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
The Shadowlands would be less obnoxious if you could use your yalm there.

That being said, Shadowlands feels like they basically crammed another game's content into AO.

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

Internetjack posted:

I'm a week in now and enjoying it. I'd recommend it to any experienced mmog player that wants to play around with character building and do some casual exploring. Reading a gamefaqs newbie guide and chatting with a seasoned player that was offering help has covered a lot of the basics for me. I've got my characters going through cycles now of: missions for new armor and weapons and grab a few levels, upgrade nanos and grab a few levels, upgrade implants and grab a few levels; and repeat.

The dungeon experience is fine but limited, and will grow repetitive for taking alts through. Did subways for a bit, and started hitting ToTW two nights ago. On the second time through ToTW I think I've seen 90% of the dungeon and have a good chunk of it memorized. I've been invited to small pickup groups most times I've been in the dungeons, so I don't feel like I'm missing content due to lack of necessary players to group with.

Its still good for exploring through the first time as everything is new and fresh. I've only run into decent players, in public hangouts like Rome Blue and Borealis, and in the dungeon runs, so thats nice. Not tons of people, but certainly not void of folks either. Places to hang if you want to play socially, and plenty of corners to run off to if you want to explore and do your own thing.

We'll see how it goes. Just got my main adventurer to 40 last night and have a few alts at the 10-15 range. I can definitely see myself playing a good 10-20 hours a week for the next month. I game more in the winter and little in the summer; so its a good, free game to tide me over til spring time fully sets in.

Welcome to the honeymoon phase! Your next stop is level 61 where all the content stops. Well, technically there's still content, just no people doing it. Occasionally you'll catch some people doing the mission train to I think 70ish when you can start grouping with people for cyborg camping.

It's weird because Subway and TOTW are so polished compared to the rest of the game.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

ahmeni posted:

It's weird because Subway and TOTW are so polished compared to the rest of the game.

That's simply not true. Unless we're talking froobs because they do lack some high level dungeons and all that.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I don't really do much gaming or MMOs but I did mess around a bit with AO a few years ago. I had some free time and an immersive scifi world sounded awesome. Plus it was free.

I loved Newbie Island...I didn't read how to do anything so I just walked around and figured poo poo out. That was amazingly fun. Then when I got to the real world, it was just so neat to be able to walk outside into the woods, look at lakes and the sky, checking out towns, going into eerily quiet player cities. It all seemed so vast, and I would imagine with a graphics upgrade it would look beautiful.

There was tons of great poo poo to explore. The content was fun. I'm not a real social gamer, but I dug being able to team up with people in the Subway, and then get into large pickup groups at TOTW. It was a blast.

Then I got to higher levels and it was very difficult to find people hanging around Foreman's. Plus it seemed like 90% of the people were just there for PvP. Not my cup of tea. I still check in to this thread every once in awhile to see if they ever will update the game. I could always go back...I think my account still exists and I had won like $100 million in an anniversary contest, so I've got cash. But it sounds like it's just withering away.

It's too bad. I wish there were more sci-fi MMOs. It would be neat to spend some time exploring and walking around a futuristic world.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Walking out of the holo backyard for the first time and hearing "Backyard Jazz" playing was a great gaming moment for me. A real mood-setter. I still have several AO tracks in my library.

I didn't care much for noob island until I became an ARK and saw how people responded to it.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Dick Trauma posted:

I didn't care much for noob island until I became an ARK and saw how people responded to it.

Glad I'm not the only one who had the experience of being an ARK. A very odd bunch of people.

Cratylus
Aug 1, 2004

Madonna? or RISP in October?

Dick Trauma posted:

Walking out of the holo backyard for the first time and hearing "Backyard Jazz" playing was a great gaming moment for me. A real mood-setter. I still have several AO tracks in my library.

Yep this right here. That backyard jazz theme really was cool, I remember just hanging out on the rooftop listening to it and running around for quite a while. That and the theme for Rome Red I still have on my hard drive.

AO was an amazing experience at the time, I have a day one agent that I spent way too much time twinking and goofing off with. False profession trader allowed you to do some really crazy stuff back then, I got into a QL 200 rifle at level 40-something. Turning yourself into a leet and using a stigma rifle with the funky green trail when you shot was hilarious.

I tried to give it a whirl a couple years back but its so barren and the interface is clunky, I just ran around a few spots for nostalgia's sake and quit again.

One of the things that really struck me about the game was the sense of humor the developers had. The didn't just stick in a whole lot of pop culture references, they actually made really wacky items with weird descriptions. A class called bureaucrat who gets a space-age coffee maker that can make menthol-flavored coffee to dispense buffs? Sure! A hat made of rollerrat flesh? Why not? There are plenty more that I'm sure I'm forgetting.

I'd love an AO2, but I doubt that's gonna happen.

Hi
Oct 10, 2003

:wrong: :coffeepal:
the enforcer had a nano line called Mongo's xxx , like Mongos smash Mongos rage ets.. I forgot if it was their health buff or a taunt or what, the flavor text referred to mongo as some legendary like arena fighter or something idk but the game was made by Scandinavians and every Scandinavian player I met swore that mongo was slang for retard ... yea here it is

http://auno.org/ao/db.php?id=100198

Even if its not true, the idea of an eight foot tall atrox enforcer using a nano that effectively sent him into a retard rage made the game enjoyable on just a whole nother level for me

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Hi posted:

the enforcer had a nano line called Mongo's xxx , like Mongos smash Mongos rage ets.. I forgot if it was their health buff or a taunt or what, the flavor text referred to mongo as some legendary like arena fighter or something idk but the game was made by Scandinavians and every Scandinavian player I met swore that mongo was slang for retard ... yea here it is

http://auno.org/ao/db.php?id=100198

Even if its not true, the idea of an eight foot tall atrox enforcer using a nano that effectively sent him into a retard rage made the game enjoyable on just a whole nother level for me

In the UK at least "mongoloid" is slang for someone suffering from Down's Syndrome.

Cratylus
Aug 1, 2004

Madonna? or RISP in October?
one other thing while I'm on the nostalgia trip (well 2 actually).

AO really had some unique terrain features. It really felt like a world, rather than a series of strung-together quest hubs. There were places way out in the middle of nowhere that were really cool, that you'd not normally stumble over unless you actually went looking for them. There was a strange tended forest with a tree that had a face in it, there was the medusa city, the giant treehouse, the Galway Nature reserve, the bronto burger factory, all sorts of stuff the developers just dropped in there at random that didn't serve any purpose except "hey look, this is kinda neat." I liked that.

2nd was the fact that high level mobs would occasionally spawn while you were out hunting that would cause you to freak out. Anyone remember hunting mutants in lush fields, when a lifebleeder would spawn? People would freak the hell out and try to zone into that little cave, or band together and try to take that bastard down, I still remember the first time my team killed one after it had wiped the floor with us a few times.

Oh yeah and the agent had something called "ruse of taren" that shrank you, the high level version of it made you tiny. If you coupled that with false profession metaphysicist and used their fly spell, you could fly around like the world's most annoying gnat. I may or may not have done this at omni trade when I was bored.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

mfcrocker posted:

Glad I'm not the only one who had the experience of being an ARK. A very odd bunch of people.

The whole hidden ARK world was a strange thing. The program was corroding by the time I got involved so you were pretty much left to fend for yourself but I still enjoyed popping out of thin air to help people, especially noobs flummoxed by AO's complexity.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Dick Trauma posted:

The whole hidden ARK world was a strange thing. The program was corroding by the time I got involved so you were pretty much left to fend for yourself but I still enjoyed popping out of thin air to help people, especially noobs flummoxed by AO's complexity.

That was fun but I really didn't enjoy the huge number of text macros I ended up needing :ohdear:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

mfcrocker posted:

That was fun but I really didn't enjoy the huge number of text macros I ended up needing :ohdear:

I miss my macros. When I was done helping someone I used to do a dance move and then disappear.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

mfcrocker posted:

Which one of you is this? :colbert:

Think that's from 2003.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Looks like you got owned pretty hard, also why are you wearing boots on your head idiot??

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Well tried to login to my account today and they finally de-activated it after 7 years of not paying them.

:( What a shame, I played it last summer and it worked great.

sinewave
Aug 29, 2005

space face
I've got 3 220'2 in this game. A soldier, a metaphysicist, and a bureaucrat. About to make a nano-technician. AO rewards prior planning and multiple characters. The amount of clueless noobs in this game is nuts :P

The best part of this game are the chat bots and multi-client gameplay.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

quote:

GET YOUR REWARDS TODAY!

Exclusive Extra Character Slots
Make sure you don’t miss this one time opportunity! Activate your Membership before Monday the 6th of May and receive two additional Character Slots, which will be added in the patch that day, for a total of 12.

Free Bonus Points!
If you buy game time now for either 3, 6 or 12 months we will ALSO throw in $15 worth of Bonus Points which can be used to buy handy boosts or unique items in the Item Shop. Bonus Points are valid for 6 months towards any in-game purchases. This offer lasts until Friday the 10th of May.

Servers Brimming With Activity
As a result of the recent server merge, the world of Anarchy Online is now full of new people you can play with! This is truly a good time to fight the Alien Invasion or brave the brutal challenge of Pandemonium. The fantastic Anarchy Online Community just got a boost!

Best Regards,
The Anarchy Online Development Team

That bolded actually isn't a bad offer at all. I've had to delete plenty of characters in the past to make room on my full as all hell accounts.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
How many people are usually online now since the merge?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Drop the price already holy poo poo.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Yes, that also. I'd be down for a one time $49.99 that gives lifetime sub and all expansions, or something like $5/mo

E: Although I doubt that is actually a sound business move. Dropping their sub price by 2/3, no way they make up for that in numbers

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

So after over a decade I decided to download the game and see what I was thinking all the way back when. I've completely forgotten so much of the game, but at the same time it seems like they changed a ton (there's a new starter area, and the starting cities are different?)

I'm like level 8 in the Omni starting city, and not entirely sure how to proceed. I have no idea how I played this before when I was in middle school.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Conquistador posted:

Yes, that also. I'd be down for a one time $49.99 that gives lifetime sub and all expansions, or something like $5/mo

E: Although I doubt that is actually a sound business move. Dropping their sub price by 2/3, no way they make up for that in numbers

I bought a month just for kicks and they credited me with an entire year for some reason.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

loving hell it's a horrible amount of work setting up UI and things again. Took an hour and a half to set my fixers things right, and I didn't even look at bank yet. Think I'll just skip most of my chars. Thanks for that, Funcom :suicide:

And gave up trying to self-cast spinner XI, I know I should be able to though. Gah. Though since Gooncorp lost its city, it probably took some of my nano skills with it. Think I'll just make my own org since cities are easy to get now.

e: Oh hey, and friends list got wiped on merge too. Makes it totally easy to see if some buddies from x years ago log on. Awesome.

e2: To not only bitch about AO, there are a lot of good changes too. Including a links in perks and such which show exactly what the perk does. No more vague "this heals! really! no numbers for you!" bullshit.

Fewd fucked around with this message at 04:17 on May 4, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Is it true if you shell out money to buy the expansions you can't play for free anymore?

• Locked thread