Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

big mean giraffe posted:

Why don't you disable the app?

How?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

bull3964 posted:

If you really want to downgrade, it isn't that big of an obstacle. There's always the RSDLite option.
Supposedly this update makes downgrading via RSDLite no longer an option. Although that comes from droid-life.com's quoting Matt Groff. He wrote the main one-step root/firmware flash script that's floating around for the original RAZR and the HD, so I assume he tried that and failed.

When I used RSDLite to revert having rooted a couple weeks ago, I noticed that all it does is run a script that uses Fastboot to flash each partition/modem file/etc. The new OTA zip includes a bootloader patch; I wonder if they changed the bootloader to prohibit using fastboot to flash back before a certain signed version.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Well, I hope current images show up for the phone then because I don't like not having a way to really wipe and reset my phone if I would need to.

When I was doing the soak test for the first JB update, I tried to do a factory reset of my phone and it froze on me. The only way I was able to recover it was to flash with RSDLite from a factory image.

Jonny Quest
Nov 11, 2004

I have the Nationwide unlimited plan (my contract ends in July) but am getting ready to add my wife to the account.

Presumably by adding her smartphone I must 'upgrade' my plan to a family scenario losing the unlimited?

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I think you have to turn it into a Share Everything plan.

bub
Apr 9, 2001
ffffffffffff
The latest Galaxy S III update (4.1.2) prevents the phone from charging with USB cables that are pinned as charge-only :lol:

kstatix
Mar 20, 2006

Jonny Quest posted:

I have the Nationwide unlimited plan (my contract ends in July) but am getting ready to add my wife to the account.

Presumably by adding her smartphone I must 'upgrade' my plan to a family scenario losing the unlimited?

No, you do not have to change to share everything and you can still keep your unlimited. Do not let any Verizon rep convince you otherwise. Existing customers still have the option to change to the nationwide plans and doing so does not force tiered data.

Source: I've been a corporate rep for almost seven years.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.
K is correct. Just backing him up....15 years here.

Jonny Quest
Nov 11, 2004

Oh, excellent. Except if I do my maths correctly I end up with:

1) Unlimited + Her Individual 2GB account, 70+100 = $170
or
2) Both on Shared 2GB, 40 + 40 + 60 = $140

That's a heck of a premium to keep unlimited.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Jonny Quest posted:

Oh, excellent. Except if I do my maths correctly I end up with:

1) Unlimited + Her Individual 2GB account, 70+100 = $170
or
2) Both on Shared 2GB, 40 + 40 + 60 = $140

That's a heck of a premium to keep unlimited.

Where are you getting $70+$100 from?

Jonny Quest
Nov 11, 2004

kitten smoothie posted:

Where are you getting $70+$100 from?

My current plan is $70, and adding up the cheapest 2GB smartphone plan I see on the website.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Jonny Quest posted:

My current plan is $70, and adding up the cheapest 2GB smartphone plan I see on the website.

Shouldn't you be allowed to add her onto your plan for $9.99 + $30 for 2GB data?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

AlexDeGruven posted:

Shouldn't you be allowed to add her onto your plan for $9.99 + $30 for 2GB data?

I thought you could only do that if you already had a family plan.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Jonny Quest posted:

They don't double up like that when you add a line, if you're on an old plan already and can move into to a nationwide family plan that would otherwise be unavailable.

For 700 shared minutes base price is $50. That includes no text plan; you can add $30 for unlimited texting on all lines, or $10 per line for 1000 texts.

Then each line costs $10, plus the data plan. So you're looking at $50, plus $10 for each of your phones. Add $30 for your unlimited data and $30 for her 2GB. $130. Then on top of that you pick your text plan.

It's more expensive than the $140 on the Share Everything plan unless you take no text plan, but you get way, way more more data.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
I really can't take another day of my Bionic. It's junk. Would it be a huge mistake to just get the RAZR Maxx HD? Battery life is huge for me and something somewhat snappy loading and moving between apps (compared to Bionic). I'm pretty sure I'll be happy with the Razr but with all these phones getting close to launch I feel like I'd be making a mistake.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

wandler20 posted:

I really can't take another day of my Bionic. It's junk. Would it be a huge mistake to just get the RAZR Maxx HD? Battery life is huge for me and something somewhat snappy loading and moving between apps (compared to Bionic). I'm pretty sure I'll be happy with the Razr but with all these phones getting close to launch I feel like I'd be making a mistake.

RAZR maxx is still an incredibly solid phone, especially with the battery life. I think I'm going to get one myself with my upgrade because with my work/class schedule the battery life would be a massive advantage to me.

kstatix
Mar 20, 2006

I couldn't be happier with my razr Max HD. Its been a solid phone that just works. The only time I've ever had it die on me was last night when I accidentally told it to update 48 apps all at once after 14 hours off the charger.

Cascadia Pirate
Jan 18, 2011
Any reason to think the price might drop in the next few weeks. I am getting by with my Incredible 2,but I have an upgrade and my wife's maxx hd is great so far.

kstatix
Mar 20, 2006

Cascadia Pirate posted:

Any reason to think the price might drop in the next few weeks. I am getting by with my Incredible 2,but I have an upgrade and my wife's maxx hd is great so far.

Nope it just dropped $100 and the original RAZR maxx never dropped below $200 so I would imagine the HD would follow the same path.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Picked up the Razr Maxx HD today, from Radio Shack after all 3 Verizon stores in town were out, and it's fantastic. I installed all my old apps and got things somewhat setup and messed around quite a bit. Battery only dropped about 5%, that was 4 hours ago. My Bionic would have died.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

wandler20 posted:

Picked up the Razr Maxx HD today, from Radio Shack after all 3 Verizon stores in town were out, and it's fantastic. I installed all my old apps and got things somewhat setup and messed around quite a bit. Battery only dropped about 5%, that was 4 hours ago. My Bionic would have died.

I'm picking this phone up probably on Wednesday. I'm super psyched. Everyone who has it seems to absolutely loving love it.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

I accidentally knocked my MAXX HD loose from my coat pocket while looking for my car keys last night. It landed on the asphalt face-down, then bounced a couple times, and finally skidded around a little. I expected to pick it up and see the screen cracked into a million little pieces. Nope. One little scratch mark on the back panel near the headphone jack, and the screen still looks as good as it did out of the box.

This thing is seriously well put together.

Hip Hoptimus Prime
Jul 7, 2009

Ask me how I gained back all the weight I lost by eating your pets.
My Droid RAZR was stolen last week, and I'm about to file an insurance claim through Assurant to get a replacement. They are out of stock on the navy blue color I had so I'll have to get black.

Unrelated--has anyone had problems with automatic payments? I had to get a new debit card a few months ago and I've had nothing but issues since. I have it set to draft on the 15th each month, which is a payday so I have plenty of money in the account it comes out of. However, for a couple months my card was declined--last month I called Verizon to straighten it out, and now this month it didn't come out at all, so I got a collections call from Verizon today to pay (shame on me for not noticing on my accounts which I check daily--but they used to text me when payment was due or declined and that didn't happen this month for some reason). My bank says if the money is there, Verizon shouldn't be declining my card. Any ideas?

(if I pay manually, it goes through no problem--but I like the convenience of not having to remember to do that)

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
Sounds like someone miskeyed a number or CVV or something. Try deleting the card and resetting it up?

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer
So I just got the 4.2.2 upgrade on my GNex

How do I make this fug nasty clock look not fug nasty? I have beautiful widgets but I'm not sure how to physically change that lock screen

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Defenestration posted:

So I just got the 4.2.2 upgrade on my GNex

How do I make this fug nasty clock look not fug nasty? I have beautiful widgets but I'm not sure how to physically change that lock screen

Tap and hold on the clock until the remove option appears. Then you can press the resulting + button to put a different compatible lockscreen widget there.

Also consider DashClock as a replacement:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.nurik.roman.dashclock&hl=en

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"Jesus, kid, what?"

Grimey Drawer

kitten smoothie posted:

Tap and hold on the clock until the remove option appears. Then you can press the resulting + button to put a different compatible lockscreen widget there.

Also consider DashClock as a replacement:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.nurik.roman.dashclock&hl=en
I never get the remove option. Tap and hold either just highlights it blue, or if I try to drag I get a grey box

I got the dash clock up on the two screens to the left lockscreen, but not the real lock screen :(

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Before you get rid of the clock try it for a couple days. I hated it when I first saw it, now I actually really like the fact that any glance at the lock screen tells you the hour.

It looks absolutely like trash but really helps order the information (important - hour, unimportant - minute). I don't have the articles in front of me but Google has executed well on the concept of ordering the importance of the information due to font weight.

Seriously try it for 3 days and you might wish every clock did the same thing.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"Jesus, kid, what?"

Grimey Drawer

Defenestration posted:

I never get the remove option. Tap and hold either just highlights it blue, or if I try to drag I get a grey box

I got the dash clock up on the two screens to the left lockscreen, but not the real lock screen :(

Fixed it by dragging the dashclock over to the main lockscreen. Then remove showed up for the other clock on the screen to the left.

Stick100: I generally know what hour it is. It's the minutes that I need. And I like all the extensions dash clock has to show me the weather, my texts, etc.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Verizon somehow talked my elderly mother into destroying her good grandfathered in family plan with unlimited data and turned it into a shared 4 GB plan with some stupid device that lets her laptop surf the web. She's already gone through her data in 10 days, is there any chance we can revert to the old plan?

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Verizon somehow talked my elderly mother into destroying her good grandfathered in family plan with unlimited data and turned it into a shared 4 GB plan with some stupid device that lets her laptop surf the web. She's already gone through her data in 10 days, is there any chance we can revert to the old plan?

Call care. Tell them she was lied too. Cross fingers

kstatix
Mar 20, 2006

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Yes. She can call customer care and ask to have the plan reverted under Verizon's customer guarantee, even if the plan is no longer offered. It just has to be within 14 days. However, if she does revert back, the standalone mifi plan is $50 or $80 so it might end up costing her more but also would give her more data for her laptop usage. Sounds like she just needs more data. Does your elderly grandma need unlimited? I don't run into very many elderly people that need more than 2 gigs on their phone.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

My mom hates her Samsung Intensity II and wants to upgrade, but we can't really afford to add data to her line at the moment. My brother and I are grandfathered into unlimited and don't want to lose it. The reviews on Verizon's dumbphones range from mixed to bad, so I'm not really sure what the best thing to do would be. The big problem with her current phone is the call quality, both sides of the call sound muffled and the mic barely picks up enough for her to be heard. Is there a "good enough" option or a decent and cheap used one I should look for?

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.
None of the feature phones are great. Avoid Brightside and Extravert, though both are really bad. Intensity 3 and Cosmos 2 are OK.

If you can find an LG Octane, that was pretty much the pinnacle of feature phones.

kstatix
Mar 20, 2006

Mighty Horse posted:

None of the feature phones are great. Avoid Brightside and Extravert, though both are really bad. Intensity 3 and Cosmos 2 are OK.

If you can find an LG Octane, that was pretty much the pinnacle of feature phones.

Yeah any basic phone with a touchscreen is bad news.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

kstatix posted:

Yes. She can call customer care and ask to have the plan reverted under Verizon's customer guarantee, even if the plan is no longer offered. It just has to be within 14 days. However, if she does revert back, the standalone mifi plan is $50 or $80 so it might end up costing her more but also would give her more data for her laptop usage. Sounds like she just needs more data. Does your elderly grandma need unlimited? I don't run into very many elderly people that need more than 2 gigs on their phone.

Some shyster sold my mother on a jetpack with 4 gigs of data shared across all phones so she could "get rid of her cable company for internet", negating a phone with grandfathered in unlimited and also told her she couldn't cancel one of the phones that we don't use anymore at the time she renegotiated the contract. They also told her that if she leaves the laptop on, even when it's not being used it "gathers all sorts of information which causes it to use data." The manager also had very unkind words about my mother when we tried to call up and explain the situation to him. She's disabled and on a lot of medication to manage her pain and tends to be very trusting.

I am not happy with Verizon right now.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

I am not happy with Verizon right now.

Sales people get paid to sell things. I'm not saying what happened was right, but having said what you did, why ever would you let her go into a store alone to do an upgrade? I'm genuinely concerned with the amount of times situations like this have come up in the last few pages. I can understand if you're out of state but that still doesn't really explain why she couldn't have gone in to look at phones that met her/your criteria and then you could have ordered through telesales (who very likely would have done free next day shipping or two day at the least) or ordered online.

Would you send her to a car dealership alone to buy a new car?

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Would you guys say it's worth it to return an iPhone 4S for a Samsung Galaxy S3 when my alternative is just switching the service over to an LG Spectrum 2 for free? Because I'm looking at specs right now and the Galaxy destroys the Spectrum in every stat, also it looks cooler.

kstatix
Mar 20, 2006

pandaK posted:

Would you guys say it's worth it to return an iPhone 4S for a Samsung Galaxy S3 when my alternative is just switching the service over to an LG Spectrum 2 for free? Because I'm looking at specs right now and the Galaxy destroys the Spectrum in every stat, also it looks cooler.

The s3 is one of the best Verizon phones atm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

I had go out to the sticks today, maybe an hour and a half out of town, and had loud and clear LTE coverage once I got there. I had to make this trip back in September; the same place had barely usable 3G and my phone would nice and warm from hunting for a signal all day.

Color me impressed as to how fast they're building out these network upgrades. Although, I suppose for what I'm paying them, I should expect nothing less.

• Locked thread