Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

jyrque posted:

This reminded me of checking out the Amazon Best Sellers list. The Kacho is #10. I think that's still pretty high for a niche show.

As long as it's above MXC that's all right by me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

ACID POLICE posted:

Let's just hope this poo poo gets put on the home screen of every American fool's 360 and PS3. That's what GCCX needs to get the DVD sale and international success snowball going
Given that the frountman couldn't understand how net streaming works and as such cocked us out of any useful information except "sucks to be not american, you get nothing." for a month I'm not betting that highly.

I'd love to be wrong and this time next year we have a Takeshi's Castle situation where Arino's face is plastered on Challenge in between repeats of Crystal Maze and Krypton Factor (and maybe GamesMaster if i was to play crazy optimist) but I'm a realist about this and the tea leaves are not floating in the right direction.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

jyrque posted:

This reminded me of checking out the Amazon Best Sellers list. The Kacho is #10. I think that's still pretty high for a niche show.

When it first came out it was #1. RGM is doing amazingly well considering its previous failure with Kotaku. Not really its fault, but still.

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

rdbbb posted:

As long as it's above MXC that's all right by me.

I was always so disappointed that MXC is the way Takeshi's Castle was broadcast here. I seem to remember seeing maybe a subtitled version of TC on PBS decades ago, though maybe not. It might have just been one of those "check out this crazy poo poo from other countries" specials that FOX would occasionally air. Although I would totally buy DVDs of MXC if they had a subtitled version of the Japanese show instead of that weird, stupid dub which I can only assume was improvised on the spot.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Hit or miss Clitoris posted:

I was always so disappointed that MXC is the way Takeshi's Castle was broadcast here. I seem to remember seeing maybe a subtitled version of TC on PBS decades ago, though maybe not. It might have just been one of those "check out this crazy poo poo from other countries" specials that FOX would occasionally air. Although I would totally buy DVDs of MXC if they had a subtitled version of the Japanese show instead of that weird, stupid dub which I can only assume was improvised on the spot.

Seconding this - I'm a huge fan of physical game shows (Kinniku Banzuke, Sasuke, It's A Knockout/Jeux Sans Frontieres, Wipeout/Total Wipeout, The Crystal Maze, etc.) and MXC just kind of makes me sad inside.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Y'know, I have a really weird relationship with MXC. Like, I enjoy Takeshi's Castle raws, but at the same time, I love the poo poo out of that dumb rear end MXC dub. Most times, I'll prefer either the original language track with subs or the dubbed version--rarely both--but it's just one of those outliers.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

As long as we're talking about dubbed Japanese shows, I'd always wondered what it would be like to watch Iron Chef with subtitles instead of the dub. (do they female guests really giggle as much in the actual show too?) I love that show and I have a huge library of episodes on my HD but I can't help but wonder how much is lost in the dubbing process.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Im almost positive the DVDs have a few properly subtitled episodes on there as an extra. Not that that helps you, but just a bit of trivia.

Meme Emulator fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Mar 19, 2013

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011

Azazell0 posted:

As long as we're talking about dubbed Japanese shows, I'd always wondered what it would be like to watch Iron Chef with subtitles instead of the dub. (do they female guests really giggle as much in the actual show too?) I love that show and I have a huge library of episodes on my HD but I can't help but wonder how much is lost in the dubbing process.

The answer to this is yes.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Hey, that doesn't have the seam from the book!

Azazell0 posted:

I watched a few episodes of Iron Chef before it got picked up by the Food Network and as I recall the dub is extremely close in flavor to the subs that I saw. The guys who did the dub of it did a good job.

Bringing this back to GCCX, Arino has played an "Iron Chef" arcade game a few times on the show but from what I can tell it has no connection to the cooking series. The LCD game where he chops fish on a board has the exact same title in Japanese as the television show "Iron Chef". IIRC, zari-gani chose to translate it slightly differently which is probably for the best since it would be kind of confusing to call the game "Iron Chef".

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

bpc908 posted:

http://www.facebook.com/questions/499742206750878/?qa_ref=ssp
Seems to be poll up for who we want to leave a comment on the Page. We need a message from Cameraman Abe.

#TeamKibe

Caitlin posted:

To anyone who managed out a comment about me saying to be happy that anything in the US is moving forward because you're NOT HERE :

I'm glad we could settle that, thanks.

Which is nice and all but again misses the point that it doesn't matter if rights extend outside the US or not with DVDs because they are physical things that can be imported and played outside of the US so local distribution agreements don't really matter. Whereas streaming that fails to push things enough that agreements can be made to show RGM outside the US means it remains in the US ("get a proxy and subscribe to Netflix/Hulu/whatever" isn't really an acceptable alternative, for those of you that were throwing that out there). It's nice to be able to say "well we'll start here and see where it goes", but as a consumer of this sort of niche media I've seen that happen enough times and had to import enough DVDs/games/etc. that I know that it generally doesn't reach as far as we might hope it would.

I feel I've shat the thread up enough on this line of discussion however and so will leave it at that.

Box of Bunnies fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Mar 19, 2013

Andronian
Feb 17, 2012

I just jumped ship from #TeamKibe to #TeamAbe because unfortunately it doesn't look like Kibe stands even a little bit of a chance anymore :smith:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I wanted to break down what's happening at this moment. The likely next two releases are a season 16 episode and a challenge that is outside of the normal flow of episodes. They're both pretty big jobs, though, so it's possible that something simpler might finish getting translated and then released before it. Those disappointed that Kibe won't e winning that vote will get a consolation prize.

Manos99
Mar 17, 2009
Has it been mentioned lately that RGM is actually already available through a streaming service?

Some of the DVD episodes are available on - I believe - the Roku channel called ASIAN CRUSH. Oddly, I don't believe these episode are restricted to the U.S., as while I use a DNS service now, I remember it being available on the Canadian Roku Channel list previously. My understanding is that all of the content on the channel is available legally.

If I remember correctly, they were exclusively the dubbed versions of the episodes.

Obviously, the channel (and, perhaps, the Roku in general) is rather niche, but just thought it would be worth mentioning.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
So, wait. Has the actual announcement been announced, or are we just looking at the vague idea that the show might be coming to some kind of VOD service at some point, or what?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Maxwell Adams posted:

So, wait. Has the actual announcement been announced, or are we just looking at the vague idea that the show might be coming to some kind of VOD service at some point, or what?

The official Retro Game Master Facebook page says that its coming to a VOD streaming service, but it doesnt yet say which one or when.

Andronian
Feb 17, 2012

Maxwell Adams posted:

quote:

Yuko here again. I have many inquiries, so I would have to make it clear to you all that the rights are currently cleared for USA only whatever the rights are DVD, VOD or TV, etc. Other territories are 100% relying on the success of US distribution to convince game companies who owns the rights of games used in the show. Let's keep it going!
https://www.facebook.com/arinothekacho/posts/499747110083721

makere
Jan 14, 2012

Manos99 posted:

Has it been mentioned lately that RGM is actually already available through a streaming service?

Some of the DVD episodes are available on - I believe - the Roku channel called ASIAN CRUSH.

Not lately, but I think someone mentioned this at some point. I don't even know what Roku is...

Bart Fargo
Mar 24, 2005

Il Raggio Infernale

makere posted:

Not lately, but I think someone mentioned this at some point. I don't even know what Roku is...

Set top streaming box.

http://www.roku.com/?Ref=CJ

Authorman
Mar 5, 2007

slamcat

Manos99 posted:

Obviously, the channel (and, perhaps, the Roku in general) is rather niche, but just thought it would be worth mentioning.

It's on Midnight Pulp for Roku as well. Dub only as well.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I love seeing Arino on the Midnight Pulp channel as it just stands out. They've got stuff like Antfarm Dickhole and Nacho Mountain and then you scroll down and there's Arino!

Light Gun Man fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Mar 19, 2013

PosSibley
Jan 11, 2008

21rst Century Digital Boy

zari-gani posted:

One of the best replies I've ever seen.

I've got a Queen plush thanks to Leather Fedora. Now we just need one of us to get a King plush.
Abe and I have come for the Plushies.

I'll threaten you with a smile :v:

You made me peruse all my pictures from the event again. I figured I'd repost them here for all to see and some to remember. Featuring zari-gani's art and rdbbb's greatness http://imgur.com/a/MrY49

PosSibley fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Mar 19, 2013

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...

PosSibley posted:

Abe and I have come for the Plushies.

I'll threaten you with a smile :v:

God, am I jealous. Also, I'm cracking up that Abe is barely beating Arino in that Facebook poll by a mere five votes.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
This has to be the only show where the cameraman is just as popular as the star.:v:

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*
I bet Abe and the staff will be mystified by how popular he is. It'll be pretty danged awesome if wrote a message for the Retro Game Master FB, since he's never done anything like that for the Japanese fans. And speaking of the LA fan event, the Japanese fans were jealous that everyone got to have their pictures taken with Arino because I think that never happens at their events.

Kinda sad to see Kan falling so drastically behind though. He's a really nice guy. Last year there was a fairly big earthquake up the coast near my city, and although it was far enough away that I didn't even feel it, within half an hour he sent me a DM on Twitter asking if everything was all right. :3:

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I couldn't possibly pick any one of these guys over the other.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think one of the things that really helps GCCX is that it does have a really enjoyable overall cast. Arino is the main draw but you wouldn't have the same show with just him.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Does Abe have the same fandom over in Japan that we in this thread (and in general in America???) seem to have?

TemporalParadox
Dec 21, 2003

*~blush~*

zari-gani posted:

I bet Abe and the staff will be mystified by how popular he is. It'll be pretty danged awesome if wrote a message for the Retro Game Master FB, since he's never done anything like that for the Japanese fans. And speaking of the LA fan event, the Japanese fans were jealous that everyone got to have their pictures taken with Arino because I think that never happens at their events.

Kinda sad to see Kan falling so drastically behind though. He's a really nice guy. Last year there was a fairly big earthquake up the coast near my city, and although it was far enough away that I didn't even feel it, within half an hour he sent me a DM on Twitter asking if everything was all right. :3:

I'm sure it has nothing to do with Kan being unliked. Probably just more so that it's a bit less interesting to hear the producer comment on their own show. Arino is, well.. Arino and Abe is kind of the underdog star, usually stuck behind the camera. Also a tiny Japanese man with a tough biker image is kind of charming. People probably want to give him his chance in the spotlight.

I'm kind of with Allen, not sure who to vote for. Maybe I'll play it safe and give Kan some love, he does look lonely down there.

Sailor Goon
Feb 21, 2012

Yeah, I'm thinking about voting for Kan as well. I think Abe is awesome but Kan is the man who made the entire show possible, and he seems to be a pretty cool guy, too.

Also, whatever helps the show catch on outside of Japan is fine by me.

Rockdash
Jan 5, 2010
I voted for Abe based on the assumption that if he wins, we'll get a message from Arino stating his shock over losing a popularity contest on his own show. Two for one! :ninja:

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
Hoooooooooly shitballs tell me this is getting subbed soon please so I can die happy. :toot:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I swear Arino found this thread and is just trolling us now.

"What will we play on the Wii-U Virtual Console today? Oh, I know, a game that's really expensive in English and will never be re-released there ever!" [cut to Arino chugging from a water cooler bottle that says "Gaijin tears" on it]

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

univbee posted:

I swear Arino found this thread and is just trolling us now.

"What will we play on the Wii-U Virtual Console today? Oh, I know, a game that's really expensive in English and will never be re-released there ever!" [cut to Arino chugging from a water cooler bottle that says "Gaijin tears" on it]

In that episode where he finds a copy of Earthbound and goes 'Wow! This game is expensive! 2000 yen!' Im fairly sure that while he was off camera he was making rude gestures and winking.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Every time I hear about how expensive Earthbound is, and how it'll never show up on Virtual Console or some kind of re-release, I think it's a drat shame that more folks don't have easier access to the game that isn't just straight up :filez:

And then I remember I bought this years ago:

:retrogames::retrogames::retrogames:

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...
I didn't go that far but part of my tax return last year went to getting a cart only copy.

Considering how much the market for SNES games has exploded since then I made a pretty good decision. I think I ended up paying $125 for a pretty good condition copy.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I was posting these in the Wii U thread but I figure I can post 'em in here now, too:

Iwata's been tweeting about Mother 2 as part of the "Mother 2 Resurrection Festival" surrounding the Wii U VC re-release, here's what's been said so far:

https://twitter.com/Nintendo/status/313552759834165248

"Hello, this is Mr. Iwata from Nintendo. From the 20th you will be able to download Mother 2 on the Wii U virtual console. I was involved with this game as a programmer, so it is a game with a lot of memories for me. I found something familiar at home, so I thought I'd share. "

https://twitter.com/Nintendo/status/313553070455943168

"Also, a conversation with Mr. Itoi is posted over at Hobonichi. From today, a new piece will be upload every day until the 20th. Please take the chance to read it, if you have time. http://www.1101.com/nintendo/mother2_wiiu/2013-03-18.html "

https://twitter.com/Nintendo/status/313834574473994241

"Hello, this is Mr. Iwata from Nintendo. Continuing on from yesterday, here are more 'Mother 2' goods. This is a specially-made jacket that was given out to the staff who worked on Mother 2. The logo has been recreated in embroidery. This, too, is one of my treasures."

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Gutcruncher posted:

In that episode where he finds a copy of Earthbound and goes 'Wow! This game is expensive! 2000 yen!' Im fairly sure that while he was off camera he was making rude gestures and winking.

Which episode was that by the way? I need to take a screenshot of the most depressing moment GCCX has ever given me.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Mercury Crusader posted:

Every time I hear about how expensive Earthbound is, and how it'll never show up on Virtual Console or some kind of re-release, I think it's a drat shame that more folks don't have easier access to the game that isn't just straight up :filez:

And then I remember I bought this years ago:

:retrogames::retrogames::retrogames:

I remember, long, long ago, when the 64 was coming out, some kid in my class was selling all his snes stuff. He was down to two weird games nobody wanted. Mystical Ninja and this game in a giant box that came with a guide. Ten bucks he wanted.

And I passed.

:bang:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Brother Entropy posted:

Which episode was that by the way? I need to take a screenshot of the most depressing moment GCCX has ever given me.

Wagan Land

gently caress you dude!