Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squinty Applebottom
Jan 1, 2013

see how many lines from http://graphics.stanford.edu/~seander/bithacks.html you can include in a single function

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
real answer: "not a bit."

im not going to get waylaid with janitoring some ancient project because somebody's threatened by me and wants to farm me off to go pull my hair out over some old bullshit. i have more than enough projects to work me out the balance of 2013 and we all know what happens round christmas

yeah im the most in demand person in this facility and i'm going to go spend my time writing cee pluss plusssss instead of fixing relevant things

Squinty Applebottom
Jan 1, 2013

jonny big britches

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

polpotpi posted:

see how many lines from http://graphics.stanford.edu/~seander/bithacks.html you can include in a single function

this reminds me, there's a new edition of hacker's delight. gently caress

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Werthog 95 posted:

this reminds me, there's a new edition of hacker's delight. gently caress

oooohhhhh want that useless but fun book

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

tef posted:

oooohhhhh want that useless but fun book

not so sure it is useless, even if the knowledge is seldom applied it is the sort of reasoning that is helpful. also applies to going to the library and leafing through taocp for a couple of hours now and then, even though one should very seldom write ones own data structures and such

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

also i use hilbert curves for spatial indexing in my current project, so the book would have come in handy there

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
applying my own 6D linked array to this webapp and no one can stop me

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

I'm on page 38 of this thread, and have been spending the days bouncing between these for about a week and a half.

Otherwise, I'm cooking, drinking water, managing my coffeeshop, exercising, and helping neighbours with spring construction projects.

See y'all on the other side.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
youll get more puss with the coffeeshop

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

yeah, actually, thread, give me some book suggestions? on topic with the thread, but not as obvious as structure and interpretation or peyton jones?

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

yeah, actually, thread, give me some book suggestions? on topic with the thread, but not as obvious as structure and interpretation or peyton jones?

The Holy Bible is the source of all ultimate truths

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Werthog 95 posted:

The Holy Bible is the source of all ultimate truths

It also has good news!

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
the bible is some old lovely software, who even uses it even more?

also, programming book recommendations, please.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
"Processing" has to be the worst name of any programming language

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

imo the little schemer should be everyone's first programming book

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

just bought this on a whim; it had better solve my life's problems or i'm holding you responsible

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

Socracheese posted:

just bought this on a whim; it had better solve my life's problems or i'm holding you responsible

the dude's last name is pronounced 'chick-sent-me-high'

edit: '-ee'

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

The PL-thread-esque book has to be Concepts, Techniques, and Models of Computer Programming by Peter Van Roy.

I haven't gone far into it personally, but the point of the book is to visit the most paradigms possible. It's done by using Oz/Mozart and will show declarative programming, declarative concurrency, message-passing concurrency, explicit state, object-oriented programming, shared-state concurrency, and relational programming. There's also stuff in there about GUI programming, distributed programming, and constraint programming.

It's a massive brick, but it's been on my "to read" list for years now and I just never brought myself to getting very far into it. It has always been moved further back in the queue by shorter books that gave results faster.

One day, CTMCP. One day.

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.
All of these:

uG
Apr 23, 2003

by Ralp
im the world wide web top 1000 first edition

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
2013's world wide web top 1000 is facebook, google and 998 link farm sites

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer
im pc dos second edition

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

jimmy johnson was reading this about the time the dallas cowboys won their first '90s super bowl

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

ymgve posted:

2013's world wide web top 1000 is facebook, google and 998 link farm sites

um excuse me I think you forgot https://www.apple.com/store whenever it goes down for even 1/100th of a microsecond.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

ratbert90 posted:

um excuse me I think you forgot https://www.apple.com/store whenever it goes down for even 1/100th of a microsecond.

what the apple store is down?!! poo poo poo poo poo poo i gotta go i hope it's the ipad mini retina finally!

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

e: -

Shy fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Jan 21, 2015

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

MononcQc posted:

The PL-thread-esque book has to be Concepts, Techniques, and Models of Computer Programming by Peter Van Roy.

I haven't gone far into it personally, but the point of the book is to visit the most paradigms possible. It's done by using Oz/Mozart and will show declarative programming, declarative concurrency, message-passing concurrency, explicit state, object-oriented programming, shared-state concurrency, and relational programming. There's also stuff in there about GUI programming, distributed programming, and constraint programming.

It's a massive brick, but it's been on my "to read" list for years now and I just never brought myself to getting very far into it. It has always been moved further back in the queue by shorter books that gave results faster.

One day, CTMCP. One day.

i like that the photo is sagrada familia, a building that is unfinished after 100+ years of continuous work and rework among arguments about the appropriate execution of the original design

beautiful, but both persistently unfinished and practically useless. someone on the editorial team has a sense of humor

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
So I've got this guy who wrote "c/c++ (expert)" on his resume coming in

if you have any particularly cruel questions throw em out there

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

FamDav posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compatibility_of_C_and_C%2B%2B

Go hog wild.

The sizeof literal chars thing might actually be relevant

or ask to explain how you would implement C++ style classes in C (i.e. if you were bjarne in 1979)

explain duff's device

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

FamDav posted:

"what have you done with your life, my god"

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

FamDav posted:

there are plenty of dick questions in places where the semantics differ (sizeof('a') was mentioned, const is a good one which pops up in real code, inline likewise), but honestly just asking him to explain the difference between an array and a pointer will cause hilarity to ensue

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
"use the comma operator in a real-world program"

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

rotor posted:

"what have you done with your life, my god"

only been out of school for a couple years but this seems to be my fate

help

Posting Principle
Dec 10, 2011

by Ralp

FamDav posted:

anything here ftp://202.127.24.195/pub/book/langu...gn.%5BEN%5D.pdf

multiple inheritance and argument evaluation precedence are things most people forget about

compile time recursion with variadic templates is fun

does "Foo&&" mean the same thing on both lines?
code:
Foo&& butt = someFoo;
void bar(Foo&& arg); 

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

Suspicious Dish posted:

"use the comma operator in a real-world program"

extra points: and have the results be what you intended

Posting Principle
Dec 10, 2011

by Ralp

Otto Skorzeny posted:

but honestly just asking him to explain the difference between an array and a pointer will cause hilarity to ensue

ask him about std::decay

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

Otto Skorzeny posted:

there are plenty of dick questions in places where the semantics differ (sizeof('a') was mentioned, const is a good one which pops up in real code, inline likewise), but honestly just asking him to explain the difference between an array and a pointer will cause hilarity to ensue

Jerry SanDisky posted:

Jerry SanDisky posted:

multiple inheritance and argument evaluation precedence are things most people forget about

like all of these, plus "how is koenig lookup used in the stl", member initialization order, and some of the obscure keywords. maybe some gotw poo poo like

code:
f(std::unique_pointer(new X), std::unique_pointer(new X));
actually maybe I should just give him a very simple class and say "write an operator= for this class".

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Jerry SanDisky posted:

what the gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Posting Principle
Dec 10, 2011

by Ralp

Sweeper posted:

what the gently caress

c++11 is fun

FamDav posted:

like all of these, plus "how is koenig lookup used in the stl", member initialization order, and some of the obscure keywords. maybe some gotw poo poo like

code:
f(std::unique_pointer(new X), std::unique_pointer(new X));
actually maybe I should just give him a very simple class and say "write an operator= for this class".

given a sample class implement the rule of three, see if he mentions or implements the rule of five. this is a fairly basic thing, but is a good immediate judge of whether or not he's kept up with modern c++