Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

Your dislike list is fascinating because its actually a pretty complete cross section of prog subgenres. You've got symphonic, folk, fusion, neo, and avant all represented. It makes suggesting new stuff pretty difficult.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
I actually wouldn't really call any of those bands he doesn't like avant-prog, and considering he likes Gentle Giant and Yezda Urfa, the major avant-prog bands were who I was going to suggest.

Look up the Rock In Opposition movement and try all the bands associated with it (Univers Zero and Present are my personal favorites), as well as the avant-prog artists associated with the ReR USA label (Thinking Plague, 5uu's, U Totem, solo Bob Drake, etc.)

I'd definitely give some of those bands you disliked another try, though, and I'm interested to know what you disliked about them. I mean, I can't imagine liking Caravan and not any of the other major bands from the Canterbury scene, or Camel but not other prog bands with strong pop inclinations..

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Rollersnake posted:

I actually wouldn't really call any of those bands he doesn't like avant-prog, and considering he likes Gentle Giant and Yezda Urfa, the major avant-prog bands were who I was going to suggest.

Look up the Rock In Opposition movement and try all the bands associated with it (Univers Zero and Present are my personal favorites), as well as the avant-prog artists associated with the ReR USA label (Thinking Plague, 5uu's, U Totem, solo Bob Drake, etc.)

I'd definitely give some of those bands you disliked another try, though, and I'm interested to know what you disliked about them. I mean, I can't imagine liking Caravan and not any of the other major bands from the Canterbury scene, or Camel but not other prog bands with strong pop inclinations..

I'm weirdly selective when it comes to music. I liked the occasional song or two from a lot of the bands I listed but not the albums as a whole, which is pretty important for me. I guess it's just something about the combination of notes or whatever that rubbed me the wrong way. It's definitely been a while since I tried the bands on the list so I might go through them again (except Pink Floyd - damned if I'm listening to them an umpteenth time :P ). But thanks for those suggestions. I thought I hadn't heard of the Rock In Opposition movement, although I'm just now realising I never clicked on the RIO/Avant-Prog link on PA.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

If you like Yes, then you should certainly give Cathedral a try. They actually only had one album back in their heyday ("Stained Glass Stories"). It's a knockout, though. They've actually regrouped recently and have a newer album ("The Bridge") but I can't vouch for it, as I haven't bought it yet. The previews I heard on iTunes were promising, though. Also, what's your take on Rush?

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

I really dig 2112, but I haven't listened much to their other stuff.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

You might want to check out "A Farewell To Kings." It's kind of similar to 2112, but it has a bit more bite to it (in my opinion). If your taste veers more to the avant-garde, you could always give Mars Volta a try if you haven't already.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
Follow A Farewell To Kings up with Hemispheres immediately after. I love both albums but they work really well as a whole (and La Villa Strangiato is their best song :colbert:)

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I really need to buy Stained Glass Stories so I don't keep thinking I'm in a doom metal thread, for serious.

Sauska
Sep 12, 2012

Rollersnake posted:

The Canterbury scene is a lot closer to RIO/ReR/whatnot, than Gentle Giant or Yezda Urfa, imo. It'd probably be better to see if he likes Magma or some other zeuhl and go from there.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Gianthogweed posted:

I am considering checking out Yes this year as well, since the albums they're touring are some of my favorites as well. I'm not expecting the intro to close to the edge to be as fast as they used to play it, but I'm expecting them to at least match what they were able to do in the studio on everything else. I think they can still put on a show worth seeing.
This was a hell of a post. I think you've sold me on going, if I can find a ride - I'm in Pittsburgh and they're not coming closer than Bethlehem, on a Sunday night, and I'd rather not miss class Monday.

So, uh, completely unrelated question I guess. How the heck would I go about doing that?

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

Rollersnake posted:

Oops, for some reason I thought GG was on the dislike list. Replied too quickly.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

It's kind of interesting, my cable provider has a bunch of music stations (Galaxie) and I listen to the classic rock one on occasion. They have a surprising amount of prog rock on there, and it's not all Roundabout and Aqualung. They play Yes stuff from Relayer, Close to the Edge, and Yessongs, Genesis stuff from Trick of the Tail, LLDoB, and SEbtP, lots of Rush, Jethro Tull stuff other than the title track to Aqualung, some ELP, lots of Pink Floyd, and early Styx, Supertramp, and Saga (depending on whether you consider them prog). No King Crimson, though.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Iucounu posted:

Oops, for some reason I thought GG was on the dislike list. Replied too quickly.

Yeah, I didn't like Gentle Giant the first time around but then I came back to them and now they're in my top three. 'The Runaway' did it for me.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

Octy posted:

Anything else? Got plenty of time. :)

Try:

Anglagard, Can, Devin Townsend (this is somewhat heavier than what you've listened to so far, start with Synchestra and Terria), Opeth (start with Damnation then Heritage), Porcupine Tree, Steven Wilson solo material, and UK.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

Iucounu posted:

Opeth (start with Damnation then Heritage)

I think an introduction to Opeth should also include songs from all over their catalogue, namely:

Benighted
Face of Melinda
To Bid You Farewell
Credence
Atonement

Alternatively force yourself to listen to their heavy stuff and realise that it owns.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

david puddy posted:

I think an introduction to Opeth should also include songs from all over their catalogue, namely:

Benighted
Face of Melinda
To Bid You Farewell
Credence
Atonement

Alternatively force yourself to listen to their heavy stuff and realise that it owns.

So is it heavier than '73-74 era Crimson? That's my favourite period of theirs and I guess about the heaviest stuff I listen to.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

Octy posted:

So is it heavier than '73-74 era Crimson? That's my favourite period of theirs and I guess about the heaviest stuff I listen to.

Yeah, most of their stuff is considered progressive death metal. The songs I listed don't have the growling vocals and are pretty easy to listen to, but this one is pretty typical of Opeth:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdRmyAM8PAY

It's the first track of theirs I fell in love with.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I agree that a wide sampling of Opeth is good to get a decent feel for the band's material, but for someone who digs Yes and KC and that sort of thing, I'd say The Devil's Orchard off of Heritage is the best one to jump in with. Love that loping guitar noodle that runs through the song.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

Actually the first Opeth track that got me hooked was Bleak, and I never listened to any music with death growls in it before that. The music was so astonishing (especially the jazzy middle section) that I listened to it about 15 times in a row, and had developed an ear for the vocals style after that.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:

Renreeja posted:

thanks dude up the page who mentioned Echolyn, i completely forgot about those guys. they've got some awesome personality in their music!!!

I love them because they fit so many of my ideals of what a great prog band should be. They are one of the few prog groups where I don't really know which member does - one, because they switch instruments and alternate singers so much, and two, because they really strive to do what's best for the song rather than make sure that each member gets theirs, so to speak. It's easy to miss how talented some of these guys are (especially Buzby, the piano/keyboards guy) because there are very few solo or jam spots on an Echolyn album (the ones that do exist are pretty brief). Despite my complaints about the production of As the World (which I'd definitely take back now - once you get over the difficulty of deciphering so much crazy emsemble playing over every track, the 'big' sound works much better), I think it really is as good as any classic prog LP you could name, and it would technically be a double album!!

Octy posted:

Well, I've been listening to prog since I was about 15, I guess (22 now) and I've always absolutely adored it. I didn't listen to anything other than classical music until I was 14 and had 'discovered' The Beatles and from there I was determined to listen to everything recorded in the 60s and 70s. Came across Procol Harum by chance then over the next couple of years got into Yes, King Crimson, Caravan, Camel, Khan, VdGG, PFM, SBB etc and later on Gentle Giant. My iTunes artist list has been pretty static since then so I need recommendations. To make it easier I'll list the bands I tried and didn't like, much to my disappointment:

(bands)

I guess my suggestion would be to spend more time with some of these albums. Prog obviously isn't easy and I think that what comes immediately to some people doesn't for others. For example many people have talked about the difficulty of Van der Graaf Generator but I pretty much loved them on first listen. Meanwhile my first Genesis album (Selling England by the Pound) took a good 5-6 listens to click and I got really big into them afterwards. Anyway I really have no idea what exactly you'd like so let me recommend a couple of bands that are really far out there because once you get into their sound you'll probably determine very quickly if you'd like to go further.

The first is Magma, whom you've probably heard of. They play an odd brand of what I'd call "space opera" - long pieces that go through many different movements, often centering around complex and often extravagant vocal lines (they've been known to enlist up to a dozen singers at once). At the head of it all is Christian Vander, a fantastic drummer/pianist/singer who writes the majority of the material (particularly the more "far out" stuff). As far as a good intro album goes, I think 1001 Degrees Centigrade is a good starting spot but it's a bit jazzier. Their most popular album is MDK (Mekkanik Destructiw Kommandoh), which is their most outlandish but it's very good (not the best Magma album by the way, but by far the more well known.

The second are Cardiacs, kind of an intersection of prog, psychedelic, and punk, with a really off-the-wall sound and an insane degree of complexity. Sadly their leader (Tim Smith) suffered a stroke recently, as he really is a musical genius, and nearly everything he touches turns to gold. I'd start with their first "proper" studio album called A Little Man and a House and the Whole World Window, and just work your way up. The double disc Sing to God may be a bit overwhelming but it's truly a great, maybe my favorite album ever.

Hope that helps!

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

Octy posted:

I'm weirdly selective when it comes to music. I liked the occasional song or two from a lot of the bands I listed but not the albums as a whole, which is pretty important for me. I guess it's just something about the combination of notes or whatever that rubbed me the wrong way. It's definitely been a while since I tried the bands on the list so I might go through them again (except Pink Floyd - damned if I'm listening to them an umpteenth time :P ). But thanks for those suggestions. I thought I hadn't heard of the Rock In Opposition movement, although I'm just now realising I never clicked on the RIO/Avant-Prog link on PA.

Just curious, how much of a chance did you give the bands on your dislike list? Sometimes prog takes a little time to "get" if you know what I mean. For example, I discovered Genesis because I was a fan of Yes and people recommended them to me. I really didn't like them all that much at all at first. Still, I was interested enough to listen more closely (and read the lyrics). I had to listen to Nursery Cryme, Foxtrot and Selling England By The Pound like this before I really got them. Now they're my favorite. I went through a similar process with Van Der Graaf Generator and Gentle Giant. Jethro Tull took a little bit to warm to as well, but when my aunt gave me her Thick as a Brick LP (with the newspaper style sleeve) and I read the lyrics as I listened, I pretty much fell in love with them as well. Some bands, like Pink Floyd, Strawbs, Traffic, Renaissance, ELP, Yes and Phish, I liked right away, but a lot of prog rock bands are a little more challenging, but often more rewarding.

Gianthogweed fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Mar 19, 2013

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
Good news for Ade:

"King Crimson’s Adrian Belew has been named as new guitarist for the revamped Nine Inch Nails.

Trent Reznor, who’s previously referred to him as “the best musician in the world,” has confirmed he’ll take part in a completely rethought version of NIN.

Belew – who’s been with on-hiatus Crimson since 1981 and previously worked with Frank Zappa and Talking Heads – says: “It is being announced at last. Something I’ve been wanted to tell you for a month now: I’ve been asked to be the guitarist for Nine Inch Nails!

“We are going on an extensive world tour, reaching places even I have never been. I’ll be moving (temporarily) to LA in May for three months of rehearsals, after which the tour begins. That’s about as much as I know for sure for now.”

He adds: “Daniel Rowland will be assisting me on the tour, which should allow us some time to continue our third year of making my new solo project.”

Reznor says: “I was working with Adrian on some musical ideas, which led to some discussion on performing, which led to some beard-scratching, which (many steps later) led to the decision to re-think the idea of what Nine Inch Nails could be.

“The band is reinventing itself from scratch and will be comprised of Eric Avery, Adrian Belew, Alessandro Cortini, Josh Eustis, Ilan Rubin, and me. The first shows will begin this summer, followed by a full-on arena tour of the US this fall, and lots of other dates worldwide to follow through 2014.”

He shut down the band in 2009 after their Wave Goodbye tour, saying: “I’ve been thinking for some time now it’s time to make NIN disappear for a while.”"

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Gianthogweed posted:

Just curious, how much of a chance did you give the bands on your dislike list? Sometimes prog takes a little time to "get" if you know what I mean. For example, I discovered Genesis because I was a fan of Yes and people recommended them to me. I really didn't like them all that much at all at first. Still, I was interested enough to listen more closely (and read the lyrics). I had to listen to Nursery Cryme, Foxtrot and Selling England By The Pound like this before I really got them. Now they're my favorite. I went through a similar process with Van Der Graaf Generator and Gentle Giant. Jethro Tull took a little bit to warm to as well, but when my aunt gave me her Thick as a Brick LP (with the newspaper style sleeve) and I read the lyrics as I listened, I pretty much fell in love with them as well. Some bands, like Pink Floyd, Strawbs, Traffic, Renaissance, ELP, Yes and Phish, I liked right away, but a lot of prog rock bands are a little more challenging, but often more rewarding.

I listened to most of them two or three times over a few years, making sure to try most if not all their albums. I was determined to like Pink Floyd because I guess they're the 'cool' prog band when you're a teenager but it didn't do anything for me.

But thanks for the suggestions. I'll spend the next week or so going over them and hopefully there'll be a couple of bands I end up loving. :)

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

Octy posted:

I listened to most of them two or three times over a few years, making sure to try most if not all their albums. I was determined to like Pink Floyd because I guess they're the 'cool' prog band when you're a teenager but it didn't do anything for me.

But thanks for the suggestions. I'll spend the next week or so going over them and hopefully there'll be a couple of bands I end up loving. :)

It's a lot more difficult for me to get into new bands these days compared to when I was a kid. I guess I'm just not as impressionable. The first cds I bought between the ages of 9 and 21 still tend to be my favorites. All of the ones I listed were from that period of my life. I have gotten into new stuff since then, but don't get into them as deeply as I used to. Part of the issue is that I have less time to just sit and listen to music. There are more choices as well. It's rare that I listen to a new album more than once these days, even if I do like it. I'm not sure if I would have gotten into PF if I had just discovered it now. It's hard to imagine that I would not have, as I still love to listen to them, but I can see how the angst of Roger Waters' lyrics can be a little much.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

Rust Martialis posted:

Adrian Belew/NIN

This is awesome if it'll inject a little prog into NIN instead of just being Trent Reznor with a Drum Machine for the 10th time in a row.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Looking forward to the NIN rendition of "Oh Daddy."

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

FlyingCheese posted:

This is awesome if it'll inject a little prog into NIN instead of just being Trent Reznor with a Drum Machine for the 10th time in a row.

I sincerely doubt that Belew will have anything to do with song structure.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

Didn't Belew already guest on The Downward Spiral?

cgfreak
Jan 2, 2013
He did, and he also co-wrote a couple of tracks (and played a lot of guitar) on Ghosts.

A Belgian band which I guess qualifies as prog - they get some good reviews on progarchives anyway.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWVYNW92Lgs
As you can guess from the cover, it's pretty dark. Kind of post-rocky ambient, really atmospheric stuff. I particularly like their acoustic guitar player.

Renreeja
Oct 11, 2007

I was stumbling around youtube the other day and found an 80's guitar lesson vid where Belew was making seagull sounds and stuff- dude was stonnnnnnned

Anybody heard of Magic Pie? there is this song called "change" that is 20 minutes and freakin awesome, really badass guitar/organ heavy jam sections... just throwin that out there

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

Iucounu posted:

Didn't Belew already guest on The Downward Spiral?

Which explains a lot, early NIN was pretty great.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

http://www.recordstoreday.com/SpecialReleases

So, I'm looking at this year's RSD poo poo, and to be honest, it's lovely. But there's some stuff that might be of interest to folks in this thread.

Probably not the box set of picture discs of the first five ELP records.

Maybe this King Crimson CD of collector's club stuff with a graphic novel? The gently caress?

Possibly the new colored vinyl pressing of the second Liquid Tension Experiment record? (I could do without it---I respect all the players on that record, but the only track that really grabs me is Hourglass. AND I'M A DRUMMER FOR gently caress'S SAKE.)

Maybe the new MGMT cassingle, since they seem to be all about annoying anyone who tries to listen to them.

A world of possibilities (where you struggle past manic ebay flippers to find the thing you wanted sold out already) awaits!

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Seventh Arrow posted:

If you like Yes, then you should certainly give Cathedral a try. They actually only had one album back in their heyday ("Stained Glass Stories"). It's a knockout, though. They've actually regrouped recently and have a newer album ("The Bridge") but I can't vouch for it, as I haven't bought it yet. The previews I heard on iTunes were promising, though. Also, what's your take on Rush?
These guys are from my town and my boss is actually the bassist for the current incarnation :)

Rust Martialis posted:

Good news for Ade:

"King Crimson’s Adrian Belew has been named as new guitarist for the revamped Nine Inch Nails.

Trent Reznor, who’s previously referred to him as “the best musician in the world,” has confirmed he’ll take part in a completely rethought version of NIN.

Belew – who’s been with on-hiatus Crimson since 1981 and previously worked with Frank Zappa and Talking Heads – says: “It is being announced at last. Something I’ve been wanted to tell you for a month now: I’ve been asked to be the guitarist for Nine Inch Nails!

At least this will work out better than Terry Bozzio getting kicked out of KoRn.

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Mar 23, 2013

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Misogynist posted:

These guys are from my town and my boss is actually the bassist for the current incarnation :)

Your boss is Fred Callan? :stonk: Man, if I worked for him I'd ask if I could buy one of those vintage Rickenbackers off him.

quote:

At least this will work out better than Terry Bozzio getting kicked out of KoRn.

Terry Bozzio? In KoRn? And kicked out? For what, being a good musician?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Seventh Arrow posted:

Your boss is Fred Callan? :stonk: Man, if I worked for him I'd ask if I could buy one of those vintage Rickenbackers off him.
Callan's not involved with Cathedral anymore, actually - he moved halfway across the country, from what I understand, and still does studio stuff from time to time with Cathedral. My boss is a dude named Sean Kelly (edit: no relation to the Sean Kelly who sang in Industry with Rudy Perrone) who used to play with various guys in the band way back in the '70s and mostly has done session work. He's never recorded with them, but signed on to do the FarFest show last year. That festival unfortunately fell apart. He's a really talented Rickenbacker guy too.

Seventh Arrow posted:

Terry Bozzio? In KoRn? And kicked out? For what, being a good musician?
He joined the band, which was cool, but then he apparently also tried to write all of their music, which drove ther singer up the loving wall. He didn't last very long.

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Mar 24, 2013

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Seventh Arrow posted:

You might want to check out "A Farewell To Kings." It's kind of similar to 2112, but it has a bit more bite to it (in my opinion). If your taste veers more to the avant-garde, you could always give Mars Volta a try if you haven't already.

Thanks for that recommendation. Not sure how I feel about the last two or three tracks, but the opening is amazing.

I haven't had much of an opportunity to listen to Univers Zero or Opeth yet, but I've been rediscovering the old Crimson 80s studio albums which I always felt were inferior to their live album Absent Lovers. My opinion has completely changed now from having listened to Three of a Perfect Pair. 'Larks' Tongues in Aspic, Part III' is fantastic and very similar to a performance they played on the video Live in Japan. There's a great little synthesiser moment (I'm guessing) at 3:35-42 too.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I've always thought Larks' III was a snore-fest compared to the first two, myself.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

It's definitely different. I get the impression from a lot of Crimson fans that you either really love it or you really hate it. I mostly love Bruford's drumming and Levin's bass.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
I don't think LTiA Part 3 fits too well on Three of a Perfect Pair (a fade out ending? seriously?), but it's a great opener on Absent Lovers. I wish they would have titled it something else—it's pretty much inviting you to compare it unfavorably to the first two parts.

I wonder if that's the story behind Level Five. It certainly sounds like it could be a LTiA Part 5, and I don't know what else the Five could be referring to. (Larks' Tongues in Aspic, Part 5 was also apparently a working title for FraKctured, interestingly.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

That's pretty fair.

I think Level Five is easily the best moment on Power, that is something I'd actually be okay with considering a Larks piece. 3 has good playing, but it just didn't thrill me. I still haven't heard Absent Lovers, though, so I'm only thinking of the studio cut.