Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

Win8 Hetro Experie posted:

faces of sexism:

i know the person in green directly in the middle back of that pic, and i've informed him he's going to get fired due to implicitly endorsing sexism by not reporting them.

thank you yospos, for i am part of the solution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
lol you know someone who went to a p-lang conference

should i post a suicide watch thread now or wait for you to post pictures of you disemboweling yourself

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

horse mans posted:

lol you know someone who went to a p-lang conference

should i post a suicide watch thread now or wait for you to post pictures of you disemboweling yourself

i use python and php in a beautiful synergistic congress at my work every day. and then i use backbone.js on the frontend.

i'm also rich, smart, famous, and good looking.

your move, horse mans

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

spongeh posted:

this is the #1 reason people use p-langs: more productive = more money = better than

uG
Apr 23, 2003

by Ralp
is there an acceptable PL conference to be caught at?

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

spongeh posted:

i use python and php in a beautiful synergistic congress at my work every day. and then i use backbone.js on the frontend.

your move, horse mans

im a horse

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

horse mans posted:

im a horse

horse meat is a delicacy in germany. gl.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

uG posted:

is there an acceptable PL conference to be caught at?

no

so swallow your pride and go anywyas, it's a way to expense travel to a place vendors are buying you drinks at

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Erlang conferences are pretty sweet in general (good mix of academia and industry), but that's probably because I end up knowing almost everyone there and it's more like meeting a bunch of friends again than a "let's go learn!" kind of deal anymore.

I haven't been to many other confs. CUSEC was one of those, saw that Brett Victor talk about how to be creative, change the world, and/or work on problem you find interesting (and then everyone just copied his demo verbatim), it was alright, but oriented to students a lot more than anything else.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I went to jboss world once and it was such a massive waste of time, much like jboss.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

jooky posted:

horse meat is a delicacy in germany. gl.

you know what else is popular in germany? :godwin:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
well actually I take that back. it convinced me jboss wasn't the way to go

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

Otto Skorzeny posted:

you know what else is popular in germany? :godwin:

i would think if godwin is widely known in germany, he wouldn't be very popular due to their strict laws about that kind of stuff

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

PleasingFungus posted:

to program, do you need to understand the language your compiler/p-lang interpreter was written in
do you need to understand assembly
do you need to understand machine code
do you need to understand CPU design
do you need to understand semiconductor design
do you need to understand quantum tunneling

the entire point of programming languages is to provide a level of abstraction where, for the most part, you don't need to understand or even know what lies underneath.

getting trolled by "ratbert90" itt

Abloobloo bloo, I don't want to understand simple poo poo like memory. Throw everything on the heap and call it good!

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

ratbert90 posted:

Abloobloo bloo, I don't want to understand simple poo poo like memory. Throw everything on the heap and call it good!

p. much this, i'm too busy understanding requirements for people who give me money instead

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

ratbert90 posted:

yeah. memory is where the heap lives. that's all you really need to know. if you need more heap, make sure u've got enough memory!

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror

ratbert90 posted:

correctamundo

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
if you run out of heap just restart quake.exe with --heapsize=32000 and you're good

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
current lunch status: twitter's lunch options are pretty good

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

ratbert90 posted:

The funny thing about your post is that only ancient poo poo languages differentiate. In a good language, like java, the stack is a compiler optimization

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
hmm, who should I trust more to manage my memory?? me (an idiot) or the phd autisms responsible for the jvm??

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
wish you'd escape analysis this thread and get out or something i have no idea

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005
My lack of understanding is only exceeded by my lack of concern.

tef posted:

wish you'd escape analysis this thread and get out or something i have no idea

baby you must be allocated on the stack cause you're never gonna escape my method

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

trex eaterofcadrs posted:

baby you must be allocated on the stack cause you're never gonna escape my method

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

baby you must be allocated on the stack cause you're never gonna escape my member function

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

ratbert90 posted:

it depends

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Nomnom Cookie posted:

In a good language, like java

Stopped reading there.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
java ftw. also c#

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
C# isn't bad at all. I rather like it actually.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

ratbert90 posted:

C# isn't bad at all. I rather like it actually.

idk how someone could hate java and like c#. they're basically the same except for c#'s retarded lack of checked exceptions.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
i'm too dumb to manage memory but those phd's are totally wrong about languages

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
unchecked exceptions only is for lazy lovely programmers. its a hobbyist feature that has no place in a good lang like c#

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
math majors should stick to algorithms and stay out of language design. also they should never teach math. or talk to normal people.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Shaggar posted:

hmm, who should I trust more. me (an idiot) or the phd autisms responsible for the clr??

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
checked exceptions is entirely different and u know it.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

Shaggar posted:

hmm, who should I trust more to manage my memory?? me (an idiot) or the phd autisms responsible for the jvm??

Shaggar posted:

math majors should stick to algorithms and stay out of language design. also they should never teach math. or talk to normal people.

haha whoops

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
obv theres a difference between the underlying memory management of the jvm and the design of java. they are not totally separate, but they are mostly independent. for example u can compile badlangs like ruby or python to jvm bytecode.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I am perfectly happy to stand on a math major's back but I don't want to hear his options about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Shaggar posted:

checked exceptions is entirely different and u know it.

java put them in for a lack of foresight and c# took them out because of hindsight