Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Police Academy III
Nov 4, 2011
checked exceptions would be great if the default behaviour was to just silently annotate your method with the appropriate exceptions instead of bitching and moaning because you had the gall to try to read a keypress without handling the possibility that the user's keyboard suddenly exploded or w/e

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Police Academy III posted:

checked exceptions would be great if the default behaviour was to just silently annotate your method with the appropriate exceptions instead of bitching and moaning because you had the gall to try to read a keypress without handling the possibility that the user's keyboard suddenly exploded or w/e

that's no good cause you need to decide if you want to handle them or not.

tef posted:

java put them in for a lack of foresight and c# took them out because of hindsight

wrong. java did it right the first time

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
c# guy: checked exceptions are a nice idea that doesn't work. we'll add them to c# when we find a way that doesn't lead to fragile code

java guy: this new feature seems like a good idea let's mash it in anyway

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
checked exceptions work fine.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Police Academy III posted:

how are you supposed to make work for java programmers unless you make them deal with compiler bureaucracy?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
only a planger would think understanding and handling error states is bureaucracy

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
the solution is a better type system hth

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
"leave the exception to runtime, the user will handle it" - unchecked exceptions

Police Academy III
Nov 4, 2011

Shaggar posted:

that's no good cause you need to decide if you want to handle them or not.

yeah, im deciding not to and i don't want the autistic compiler to demand i explicitly tell it every time i don't want to handle KeyBoardIsActuallyAGoatException

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Shaggar posted:

only a planger would think understanding and handling error states is bureaucracy

Java code:
public static void fartz() {
  throw new Exception("fart");
}
that the compiler requires you to declare what you do one line later is the definition of bureaucracy

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror

Malcolm XML posted:

the solution is a better type system hth

our goal is to get the type system down to the size where we can drown it in the bathtub

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

Jonny 290 posted:

if you run out of heap just restart quake.exe with --heapsize=32000 and you're good

quake brazenly defied wherever that standard came from by using single dashes for long option names.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
auto-throwing exceptions isnt any different from unchecked exceptions.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Java code:
public static void fartz() {
  throw new Exception("fart");
}
that the compiler requires you to declare what you do one line later is the definition of bureaucracy

if ur the only one who will ever use that method then ok yeah maybe sure. but if that's the case you can probably come up with a better design. if you aren't the only person using it then yes they should be made aware that it can be thrown.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
"I like functional programming because functions are black boxes!! if you want to figure out what exceptions my function will throw, read the function!!"

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I just do

public static void main(String[] args) throws IOException

(then again the only thing I use Java for is algorithm contests)

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Shaggar posted:

"leave the exception to runtime, the user will handle it" - unchecked exceptions

meanwhile: in java land - pokemon exception handling

imagine I have a picture of joe armstrong crying

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

tef posted:

pokemon exception handling
idgi

Police Academy III
Nov 4, 2011
reminder that java was literally invented by a pedophile: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patrick_Naughton

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Shaggar posted:

I went to jboss world once and it was such a massive waste of time, much like jboss.

you know who else uses jboss

(just postin' to say: lol blackberry)

Posting Principle
Dec 10, 2011

by Ralp

gotta catch em all

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

tef posted:

meanwhile: in java land - pokemon exception handling

imagine I have a picture of joe armstrong crying

yeah java is written by people who need software to work

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Shaggar posted:

yeah java is written by people who need software to work

huh, turns out my last post is actually relevant to this conversation

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

Shaggar posted:

I am perfectly happy to stand on a math major's back but I don't want to hear his options about it.

the word you were looking for is 'opinions', and you wanted the singluar rather than the plural

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
ugh. ie10 has auto correct and its constantly loving me up cause I make lots of typos

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
try {
thread.close();
} except (Shaggared again) {
// do nothing
}

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
but no it would be opinions, not the singular. math majors have many opinions and most of them are wrong.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Shaggar posted:

ugh. ie10 has auto correct and its constantly loving me up cause I make lots of typos

lol autocomplete loving up your text

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I make a lot of really bad typos.

Posting Principle
Dec 10, 2011

by Ralp

Shaggar posted:

think of it as intellisense for your browser

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
intellisense doesn't autocorrect. also eclipse's intellisense is better than vs's.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
that and most lines of java achieve nothing anyway, so autocompleting can't really do anything bad

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

boost's exception library is the best, c++ exceptions own, etc

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

tef posted:

that and most lines of java achieve nothing anyway, so autocompleting can't really do anything bad

like my posting

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
comedy post extolling the virtues of the common lisp conditions & restarts

Posting Principle
Dec 10, 2011

by Ralp

Vanadium posted:

boost's exception library is the best, c++ exceptions own, etc

-fno-exceptions yeah I live dangerously

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

I need the authoritative book/textbook on database theory. Recommendations?

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

the manga guide to databases

Posting Principle
Dec 10, 2011

by Ralp
i'm looking for a schema, it can't be first normal formu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Unless posted:

I need the authoritative book/textbook on database theory. Recommendations?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Third_Manifesto

these guys will tell you that null should not be used, and when you read their arguments, you end up agreeing with them

but this is just for making you think about databases, as opposed to getting actual poo poo done with real-world products