Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Today, a coworker who is a long time motorcycle commuter told me that I shouldn't use a backpack because they're dangerous. He said a friend of his went down wearing one, hyper extended his back, and broke 2 vertebrae on a binder when he landed on it. Said friend was apparently wearing a one piece leather suit at the time, so it's not like he was unprepared. I use a dedicated motorcycle backpack from Ogio, and usually carry shoes and my other helmet visor. What do you guys think? Are backpacks dangerous? I had just been thinking of it as extra crash padding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

My friend saved his back and helmet wearing his pack. I saw him highside and bounce three times on his pack and got back up with a dime size bit of rash on his arm between his gloves and his track suit. :iiam:

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
In a crash, everything is dangerous. I strap my pack to the pillion with a cargo net, it's really handy for other stuff too like 6 packs.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

On this note: Anyone know a good system for strapping a backpack to the rear of a motorcycle? I wanna put my Kriega R30 on the back of my Bandit like a tail pack while I commute. Are bungee cords the only way?

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

clutchpuck posted:

In a crash, everything is dangerous. I strap my pack to the pillion with a cargo net, it's really handy for other stuff too like 6 packs.

I fell with my bag on, 3 of the zippers broke off, but somehow I didn't squish the sandwich that was in there. I ate it for lunch later that day :smug:

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

clutchpuck posted:

I think the naked 1200 models were available in the US from 1996 to 2005. They sold them elsewhere through 06 and went with the half-faired 1250 in 07. Knowing Suzuki and their parts-bin philosophy, it seems likely to me that you could do a bolt-on swap of a round headlight and 1200 gauges onto a 1250.

I think the new bandit is "all new." But I bet you can order the naked parts form europe.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

clutchpuck posted:

Mine only fits 5 beers. Or 11.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Xovaan posted:

On this note: Anyone know a good system for strapping a backpack to the rear of a motorcycle? I wanna put my Kriega R30 on the back of my Bandit like a tail pack while I commute. Are bungee cords the only way?

Rok straps are the poo poo for luggage but they might be overkill for a backpack. I'd just be looking for a cargo net like clutchpuck does.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Xovaan posted:

Cargo net with plastic hooks: http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/14/71/993/4290/ITEM/Powertye-Adjustable-Rack-Net.aspx?WT.ac=SLIsearch

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Yeah this is what I was looking at, but they don't look like they'd be able to hold a fully loaded Kriega R30 without it sliding around. How secure are they?

Also this:

Is loving awesome.

xd
Sep 28, 2001

glorifying my tragic destiny..
I think Rok straps would work better for turning a backpack into a tail pack, I've done it with mine.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Z3n, Pham Nuwen, other bay area goons: I just picked up a FasTrak in anticipation of the bridges going no-cash. I'm planning to swap it back and forth between my motorcycle and car as needed. The mounting instructions say to stick it to my windscreen but I haven't got one. What's a good removable way to mount it on a bike with no fairings? Is the velcro it comes with strong enough to stay attached in the wind blast of freeway speeds? Where should it go?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Velcro it to the tail?

O'riginal
Jul 6, 2004
no images allowed
Fun Shoe
I used to wear a backpack on my bike, but decided that in the event of a crash, I'd rather not have my laptop etc breaking into a million pieces and digging thru my back. I came up with a lame solution: I bungied my ALICE pack to the bike, and put the backpack in that. Nobody bothered the ALICE pack, it looked way too disreputable to be worth anything, and it took the weight off my back.

Of course, in a crash, it wouldn't have been much better to have the frame of the pack bouncing around ... but hey, it looked all ... military.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Xovaan posted:

Yeah this is what I was looking at, but they don't look like they'd be able to hold a fully loaded Kriega R30 without it sliding around. How secure are they?

This pack?

I doubt you'd have any issues at all. This is the wife's bike loaded up under her cargo net:

And this is mine:

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Xovaan posted:

Also this:

Is loving awesome.

Finally found an aftermarket can that brings out the engine's natural bass

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Backpackchat - I'm fairly convinced my ongoing problems with my left shoulder are a result of my last crash. Only about 15mph, but I rolled and my rucksack caught on the ground and the strap yanked my shoulder really badly, I had a massive bruise on my back and chest where the strap dug in (armour in the jacket did its job I suppose because there was no bruising on the small area covered by it), and now every six months or so I get a monster loving spasm that locks the whole thing up (and comes on like a loving heart attack too).

Having said that I still wear a backpack because I've only got stumpy legs and tailpacks make it impossible for me to get on the bike, and I have a pathological dislike of tank bags. The bag I use now is supposedly designed to prevent that (very wide straps that are designed to sit over the armour, and most of the weight is actually carried on the waist instead of the shoulder), but I'm not that keen on testing it...

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Backpackchat: I still prefer a jarred shoulder and bruise to a spinal problem compared to not wearing anything (you said you had armor, but for those that don't wear a spine protector).

ArbitraryTA
May 3, 2011
So hey, finally working on my Class M license (gotta get the MSF course done in April) and I'm sitting here thinking about what bike I should be getting. I'm a big lover of standard/naked bikes and my general trusted brands have been Suzuki and Yamaha/Star but I'm willing to take a goon's word for it on a bike suggestion.

I've also gotten over my dislike of sports bikes, but I'd still prefer a not-sports bike body if there's better suggestions. It needs to be able to manage highway speed and I'm a short dude so a lower seat always helps. Cruiser might not be the best idea since I live in a hilly town and I know for a fact I'll end up scraping pipe or peg more than I'd want to on some of the tight turns.

Also less expensive is always better. My initial thought was to get a 250 V-Star but I don't know enough about the speed that V-twin can pull out for the displacement to trust it on a highway.

As a note I do have riding experience, just not licensed riding experience, and for the most part know what I am doing (learned how to drive on a bike originally) but pretty much what I've been thinking is finding a good 500cc bike, not too powerful not too weak and the bikes tend to be pretty maneuverable.

So, any suggestions?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
1999 or thereabouts Suzuki Bandit seems cool

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

CB400? Plenty capable of highway speeds, comfortable and handle well.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Shimrod posted:

CB400? Plenty capable of highway speeds, comfortable and handle well.

Not the old twins, though. Just have to clarify. The CB400Ts are piles of poo poo that look very pretty. The CB400, CB500, or even CB650 fours are pretty awesome.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Geirskogul posted:

Not the old twins, though. Just have to clarify. The CB400Ts are piles of poo poo that look very pretty. The CB400, CB500, or even CB650 fours are pretty awesome.
I'd disagree with this. All old Japanese fours are heavier than they need to be, and topheavy. And boring. They run fine, but they're kinda awkward for a new rider to deal with, unless you're big and tall. That's my opinion. Lot of people like them though.

XV250s aren't very good on the highway.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Geirskogul posted:

1999 or thereabouts Suzuki Bandit seems cool

Seconded. I ride a 1996 Bandit 600, it's my first bike.

Cheap, dependable, extremely easy to work on and goes fast enough to get you into real trouble (I know this from experience).

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I'd disagree with this. All old Japanese fours are heavier than they need to be, and topheavy. And boring. They run fine, but they're kinda awkward for a new rider to deal with, unless you're big and tall. That's my opinion. Lot of people like them though.

XV250s aren't very good on the highway.

I agree that they're pretty boring, and a bit topheavy. But I think boring is good for a new rider :colbert: : gives them less to think about while trying to navigate and form habits. Though :siren:my fiancée's:siren: CB650 seems to have the seat lower to the ground than my CB400T did, though I can't verify because I stripped the CB400T of all of the useful and NOS parts I put on it and sold the rest for scrap I was so angry at it. I'll also agree that most CB750's make it seem like you're sitting on a pillow in an SUV compared to a lot of sportbikes or BMW-styled seating, but maybe that's taste?

Once you deal with a boring bike and build good habits, then the awesome bikes can come knocking, IMO. Though I did learn to drive in a heavily-modded 1999 WRX, so maybe I'm being a bit hypocritical.

KozmoNaut posted:

Cheap, dependable, extremely easy to work on and goes fast enough to get you into real trouble (I know this from experience).

:siren:My fiancée's:siren: uncle just bought [another] one and is going to ride cross-country [again] to see us this summer; New York to Phoenix. He says that he's done it before on his older Bandit, and while he preferred his Harley for touring, selling said Harley and buying a second Bandit and ending up with quite a few thousand in change feels nice.

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Mar 21, 2013

O'riginal
Jul 6, 2004
no images allowed
Fun Shoe

ArbitraryTA posted:

Also less expensive is always better. My initial thought was to get a 250 V-Star but I don't know enough about the speed that V-twin can pull out for the displacement to trust it on a highway.

I tested on a Virago 535. It's not especially eye-pleasing, but it's small, light, manageable, and is OK on the highways.

added: (I don't think I'd want the 250 on a freeway)

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
I assume this has been asked before, but could any problems arise from swapping an old 93 600v transalp over to fully synthetic oil in a oil change? No clue what the PO used, other that it's old and dark as hell.

ReformedNiceGuy
Feb 12, 2008

SaNChEzZ posted:

I fell with my bag on, 3 of the zippers broke off, but somehow I didn't squish the sandwich that was in there. I ate it for lunch later that day :smug:

:hf: for getting to eat your consolation sandwich while working out how much it's going to cost to fix your bike!

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
Bungee nets and cords will hold fine as long as it's tight. I used to strap all kinds of backpacks and fishing gear on my bike and ride 60 miles down dirt roads.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Supradog posted:

I assume this has been asked before, but could any problems arise from swapping an old 93 600v transalp over to fully synthetic oil in a oil change? No clue what the PO used, other that it's old and dark as hell.

Shouldn't be an issue, synth and dinosaur are compatible.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
Anyone used this type of over-glove for keeping rain out? Do they work as advertised? Is it awkward to work the levers through normal gloves plus these?

http://www.motorcyclegear.com/browse/view_product_images/3761

ArbitraryTA
May 3, 2011

KozmoNaut posted:

How much am I probably looking for in a Bandit and if I can't find one I've heard people suggesting a Ninja 250 to me for a cheap reliable speedy ride as well.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
Is there a preferred rear stand among the hive mind? I'm on my first bike without a center stand and I'm due to clean the chain.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
You're talking two completely different experiences. The bandit is a "big" bike. ~500lbs with a full tank, lots of torque. (even the 600's.. Displacement means something)

The ninja 250 isn't "fast" when compared even to a bandit 600. They top out around 110mph, while the bandit is more like 130.

If no bandits show up, there are plenty of other bikes that do the same thing.

I'm not trying to take a shot at the ninja 250, but if you want a little bike like that, you should be looking at little bikes. If you're ok with the idea of a normal sized bike, look at normal sized bikes!

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Monkey Wrangler posted:

Is there a preferred rear stand among the hive mind? I'm on my first bike without a center stand and I'm due to clean the chain.

Pitbull

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

ReformedNiceGuy posted:

:hf: for getting to eat your consolation sandwich while working out how much it's going to cost to fix your bike!

It was more like, how much is insurance going to pay me out, or how much are my medical bills gunna be, I t-boned someone :( All for a sandwich.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Monkey Wrangler posted:

Abba superbike stand, it's more versatile than a paddock stand and cheaper than a good one.

epalm posted:

Anyone used this type of over-glove for keeping rain out? Do they work as advertised? Is it awkward to work the levers through normal gloves plus these?

http://www.motorcyclegear.com/browse/view_product_images/3761

If you're going to abandon style that far, why not just get muffs instead? Warm enough to wear summer gloves year round, you just look like you're taking your handlebars out of the oven.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

ArbitraryTA posted:

So hey, finally working on my Class M license (gotta get the MSF course done in April) and I'm sitting here thinking about what bike I should be getting. I'm a big lover of standard/naked bikes and my general trusted brands have been Suzuki and Yamaha/Star but I'm willing to take a goon's word for it on a bike suggestion.

I've also gotten over my dislike of sports bikes, but I'd still prefer a not-sports bike body if there's better suggestions. It needs to be able to manage highway speed and I'm a short dude so a lower seat always helps. Cruiser might not be the best idea since I live in a hilly town and I know for a fact I'll end up scraping pipe or peg more than I'd want to on some of the tight turns.

As a note I do have riding experience, just not licensed riding experience, and for the most part know what I am doing (learned how to drive on a bike originally) but pretty much what I've been thinking is finding a good 500cc bike, not too powerful not too weak and the bikes tend to be pretty maneuverable.

So, any suggestions?

A Suzuki GS550 would be cheap, has the power/torque you seek and a range of riding that covers easy going stuff as well as more aggressive twisty action, still leaving sufficient power for some highway riding. They are also pretty easy to work on, find parts for, customize, etc. if you get into that part of motorcycling.

ReformedNiceGuy
Feb 12, 2008

SaNChEzZ posted:

It was more like, how much is insurance going to pay me out, or how much are my medical bills gunna be, I t-boned someone :( All for a sandwich.

Oh man, that sucks. Mine was just a little low side brought on by my own stupidity!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

clutchpuck posted:

Shouldn't be an issue, synth and dinosaur are compatible.

This may be old man oil voodoo talk, but the rule I always heard was, new bike you can go with either, once it's broken in stick with one or the other, old-rear end bikes do better with dino. It's cheaper anyway.