Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hendersa
Sep 17, 2006

I've been a bit sick and haven't been too responsive, though I am collecting everyone's feedback. Depending on how much time I have to spare to polish up the GUI, I'll be making some changes. For now, though, I'm inclined to leave it because I have a lot of other technical work to do to get it all integrated together.

My analog-to-VGA converter box really washes out the colors and introduces a lot of signal noise, so this doesn't look nearly as nice in this picture as it will in a direct connection a TV:

Most of the NTSC overscan is happening on the left side of the screen. Remember, the red bar on the left side of the screen is the same size as the red bar on the right in the "logical" video framebuffer. Maybe five or six pixels are lost to overscan on the top and bottom red bars of the screen. The item selection marker should be OK, even though it is hard to see in the picture because of the NTSC signal degradation.

I put up a YouTube video clip of the GUI (without the red overscan indicator bars) here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
Your selection cursor seems to be using a linear tween. Pop a sigmoid easing function on that puppy and speed it up a little- I think you'll find it feels more responsive.

hendersa
Sep 17, 2006

Internet Janitor posted:

Your selection cursor seems to be using a linear tween. Pop a sigmoid easing function on that puppy and speed it up a little- I think you'll find it feels more responsive.
I just hacked this in really quick and it looks good. It looks more like the bar speeds up and "snaps" into place on the next item. You can really tell when you hold down up or down and watch the selection cursor move through the list of items. Thanks for the suggestion!

(I also now know what a modified logistic sigmoid function looks like.)

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
I use either a standard logarithmic tween:

JavaScript code:
var EASE = 6; // pick a number that looks nice

var targetSelectionY = 20;
var selectionY = targetSelectionY;

function frameLoop() {
    selectionY += (targetSelectionY - selectionY) / EASE;
}
or one of Robert Penner's famous easing equations. I've never heard of the sigmoid easing function, and it seems Google hasn't either, except for a few strange sites.

mikeyio
Mar 1, 2003

Been working on getting Gamebit 2.0 out on the App store (Waiting for Review now). Gamebit is like Flixster but for video games. It has past/upcoming releases, downloads (DLC and patches) and upcoming events. 2.0 adds search, reminder notifications and a new UI. I've been using Monotouch (now Xamarin.iOS I guess) to do everything and it's been really great because I can draw on my extensive (all of one year) C# experience. I tried Objective-C, but failed miserably. Here's a peak at the search:

Just started adding a genre field to the JSON coming back so now I get to get LINQ-y with it which is nice. On the admin side, I need to spec out a way to copy an item that's already input for games that have staggered release dates among platforms. Oh and add Playstation 4 and the next XBox.

RobertKerans
Aug 25, 2006

There is a heppy lend
Fur, fur aw-a-a-ay.
Very very rough version of a portfolio site I'm building, had to go up live on a subdomain about two weeks earlier than expected due to needing to use some of the design as an example to get a job. Barely functional: doesn't work in phones, the reposive poo poo is unimplemented, History API works -ish (but refresh or back buttoning in from an external site breaks everything), JSON hasn't been leveraged yet and the AJAX calls pull enormous chunks of HTML, the images should remder as small, then lazy load full-size, but don't, the CSS and scripting are currently horrible badly structured messes, etc etc etc. Looks ok at first glance though. Site's at https://danielcouper.sutor-design.com.

Aaargh and I've just noticed two css counters conflicting on some of the items. Jesus christ.

BTW Does anyone know how to successfully implement anchor links (with History active) inside a scrolling div whose contents are pulled via AJAX? It's driving me nuts.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!
Screenshot (and video, as always)...Friday!

Screenshot that doesn't really show anything:

I haven't updated in a while. I took a short break and then kind of took it easy the last couple weeks. Don't want to burn out! I added entity parenting and hierarchical transformations to my game. There's also some 'particle system' effects, but it's actually nothing new, it's just more entities. Here's the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2opjZPli7TI

And here's the Blog Post that explains it all.

Oh, and say goodbye to Link, I have an actual character now. The design is intentionally generic (for now) and is definitely going to be replaced later. The art (including all of the tiles) is by Dave Shabat (he goes by Reiley here on SA), creator of Dead Winter.

Orzo fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Mar 19, 2013

Nebulon Gate
Feb 23, 2013

RobertKerans posted:

Very very rough version of a portfolio site I'm building, had to go up live on a subdomain about two weeks earlier than expected due to needing to use some of the design as an example to get a job. Barely functional: doesn't work in phones, the reposive poo poo is unimplemented, History API works -ish (but refresh or back buttoning in from an external site breaks everything), JSON hasn't been leveraged yet and the AJAX calls pull enormous chunks of HTML, the images should remder as small, then lazy load full-size, but don't, the CSS and scripting are currently horrible badly structured messes, etc etc etc. Looks ok at first glance though. Site's at https://danielcouper.sutor-design.com.

Aaargh and I've just noticed two css counters conflicting on some of the items. Jesus christ.

BTW Does anyone know how to successfully implement anchor links (with History active) inside a scrolling div whose contents are pulled via AJAX? It's driving me nuts.

• Your drop shadows are massive, too opaque, and distracting. It seriously makes the page look 'filthy'
  • The title orientation for the books kind of sucks. I shouldn't have to tilt my head to know what they are. The thing with books that makes this okay is that I can physically pick them up.
  • Whatever font you are using (Gill Sans apparently) for the book titles is loving horrendous. I'm not sure if it's the kerning or just the look of the font, but it's terrible. Check out Open Sans or something
  • Some type of text effect/text shadow to slightly emboss the titles on the books would be nice. 'Slightly' is the key word here
  • A margin on the left of the page would be reccomended. I would try just centering the books and see how that looks.
  • I like the top dropdown

I know this is a WIP, however, so I hope these just provide some helpful movement in the right direction.

As for the anchor links, try starting here:

https://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/DOM/Manipulating_the_browser_history

Lurchington
Jan 2, 2003

Forums Dragoon

Lurchington posted:

since it seems like mockups are something people are interested in, figured I'd post up this balsamiq mockup (see attached)

In magic: the gathering, people put together "cubes" of a few hundred cards or so, and draft them with friends. A lot of the fun is building a balanced cube that has a lot of things to that players can see and go after.

Talking about cube lists is mostly done by tossing back and forth people's hand-made google docs or text list of card names, and that's kind of annoying.

As an excuse to learn http://angularjs.org/ I've been building up some tools for the specific purpose of compare two cubes and seeing what's the difference. The nuance comes from everyone organizing their lists differently, and that means supporting things like "Card X just costs White mana, but it's only played in White/Blue decks, so it should be in the White/Blue section"

below is a representation of the differences in the Black section of the official Magic Online cube versions 1 and 2. Reading articles like this are often the most interesting way to see the changes since there's, but a tool like this can be a helpful "just the facts" view.

I've been working on this off and on ever since and I've hit the milestone of ("make the screen that's in the mockup")
it's all up here: https://github.com/rdennis463/cuesbey

next steps: the server backend is NOT scaling super great and there's a categorization feature that I've been working on that I can now put in. (high level is that, some people like to sort Card "A" as a Spell, but other folks call it a creature; I've codified some of these so you can look at the cube in the way you would lay it out in real life)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

RobertKerans
Aug 25, 2006

There is a heppy lend
Fur, fur aw-a-a-ay.

Cartesian_Duelist posted:

• Your drop shadows are massive, too opaque, and distracting. It seriously makes the page look 'filthy'
  • The title orientation for the books kind of sucks. I shouldn't have to tilt my head to know what they are. The thing with books that makes this okay is that I can physically pick them up.
  • Whatever font you are using (Gill Sans apparently) for the book titles is loving horrendous. I'm not sure if it's the kerning or just the look of the font, but it's terrible. Check out Open Sans or something
  • Some type of text effect/text shadow to slightly emboss the titles on the books would be nice. 'Slightly' is the key word here
  • A margin on the left of the page would be reccomended. I would try just centering the books and see how that looks.
  • I like the top dropdown

I know this is a WIP, however, so I hope these just provide some helpful movement in the right direction.

As for the anchor links, try starting here:

https://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/DOM/Manipulating_the_browser_history

Cheers man, it is helpful, sitting looking at the same lines of code for several hours does not objectivity give. This is very, very WIP; I'm not likely to be able to move much on the font for the book titles (Open Sans might be fine though, even if I just keep falling back to it for everything at the minute), probably not on the orientation, as that's what was specified. Stacking it could work though, and would negate about 90% of the CSS loving around, and my headache. Any would allow much much simpler scrolling/accordian movement between/inside items. Urgh

It does definitely need a subtle text effect, and yes the drop shadows are horrible, was just having problems adding visual weight. Thanks again, anyway. Got too stuck on making certain techniques work at the expense of everything else.

hendersa
Sep 17, 2006

I've made some real progress on the BeagleSNES, but I need to set it aside for a while because I have plenty of other projects to take care of. I made another YouTube video of my progress, which is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUJBxtNpcys

My latest work has focused on system stability and speed. This has involved the following tasks:

- Research and compare a bunch of kernel patches for each Linux kernel version to best judge which one is the right trade-off of bugs versus features.
- Start building custom kernels to incorporate those patches and to trim down the kernel to reduce memory footprint, build time, and loading time.
- Build a custom bootloader to match the kernel and hard-code some of the features that I want.

I decided to clock the CPU at 800 MHz via the bootloader and the cpufreq modules in the kernel. The base speed for the CPU is 600 MHz, though 600, 800, and 1000 MHz are all acceptable (according to the documentation). The catch with clocking at 1 GHz is that the drivers for TI's voltage-regulation subsystems aren't in recent kernels. There was a stretch back around the 2.6.30+ to 3.0.x kernels that allowed you to safely clock the CPU at 1 GHz, but those kernels also include a bunch of USB bugs that have since been fixed. I did fall back to those old kernels and tried them (pulling the 2.6 kernel from the demo Angstrom distro that came with the board and the 3.0.17 kernel from here), but the system seemed a little quirky. I'd see the emulator crash every now and then for no good reason.

I now use the "performance" CPU frequency stepping module in the kernel. Before, it was just the "ondemand". I'm basically just running the CPU at 800 MHz all the time, and the only downside I see is that sometime the NTSC video remains blank if the chips are hot. If you give them a few minutes to cool, it usually comes up with no problem. It's a hardware issue, rather than software, so I'm not too worried.

The U-Boot bootloader in BeagleSNES is now running a custom build of v2013.01.01 that I cross-compiled to ARM from my x86 Linux development VM. I built an x86 host, ARMv7 target toolchain using crosstool-ng, which was pretty painless. There were a few quirks, but a bit of googling got it all sorted out. My custom kernel is also compiled using that same toolchain.

While I am disappointed that I couldn't just clock at 1 GHz and go, it isn't too much of a loss. I can't run Star Fox because the Super FX chip emulation just doesn't run very well at 800 MHz (only 4 or 5 FPS, typically). It does run well at 1 GHz, but that doesn't do much for you if it crashes all of the time.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

hendersa posted:

:words:

While I am disappointed that I couldn't just clock at 1 GHz and go, it isn't too much of a loss. I can't run Star Fox because the Super FX chip emulation just doesn't run very well at 800 MHz (only 4 or 5 FPS, typically). It does run well at 1 GHz, but that doesn't do much for you if it crashes all of the time.

What ARM processor is on there? I had a similar problem with an OMAP2 processor - it would run at 1GHz, it just wasn't stable at all :smith:

Delta-Wye fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Mar 13, 2013

hendersa
Sep 17, 2006

Delta-Wye posted:

What ARM processor is on there? I had a similar problem with an OMAP2 processor - it would run at 1GHz, it just wasn't stable at all :smith:
It is a DM3730, which is an ARM Cortex A8 processor. For Linux kernel configuration purposes, it is an OMAP3.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

hendersa posted:

It is a DM3730, which is an ARM Cortex A8 processor. For Linux kernel configuration purposes, it is an OMAP3.

Ah, mine was AM3703 based (which is still a ARM Cortex A8). I feel you on the Linux kernel woes. I have to keep reminding myself the rapid (but sloppy) development plus constantly changing interfaces is really a feature and why people use Linux in the first place and I shouldn't get too angry when I'm digging through hundreds of kernel mailing list emails trying to port enough patches to get everything working as it needs to.

Oh, my kingdom for Alan Cox's head on a pike. :smith:

Cancelbot
Nov 22, 2006

Canceling spam since 1928

Compared to Android/iOS, the Windows Phone SDK is a breeze - another tracker app!

I'm making this to both learn and get the features I want out of a cycling app, the speed always updates but the timers/averages are only activated on start/stop. As I just wanted a speedometer with a few tweaks.

I'm going for the full on windows phone experience - gratuitous typography!

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!
Did some cool particle stuff. Blog post here!

Screenshot, but the video is way more fun:

Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONlEkY5imnw

Bahama.Llama
Aug 17, 2006

Scary Money

Orzo posted:

Did some cool particle stuff. Blog post here!

Screenshot, but the video is way more fun:

Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONlEkY5imnw

My mind is going crazy with the thoughts of some of those effects being buffs and the stretchy effect being a boss casting dispel. I'm sure you did it for fun, but that last combo of effects could be a end game ability that triples damage or something.

Looks so cool, man.

geera
May 20, 2003
Overview dashboard I've been working on to put up on a TV I want to mount in our IT area. Everything is loaded via AJAX from a Python/Flask server that I wrote to collect the data from random sources on the network.

Foiltha
Jun 12, 2008

geera posted:

Overview dashboard I've been working on to put up on a TV I want to mount in our IT area. Everything is loaded via AJAX from a Python/Flask server that I wrote to collect the data from random sources on the network.

Neat! I've been using Flask a lot lately and it's fantastic for stuff like this. What are you using for the charts?

geera
May 20, 2003

Foiltha posted:

Neat! I've been using Flask a lot lately and it's fantastic for stuff like this. What are you using for the charts?
Thanks! This is my first real Flask project -- I've done some other database apps using Django, but that really felt like overkill for a single-page app like this. So far it's been pretty great.

For the charts I'm using Flot, which is a plugin for jQuery.

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

As a semester project, I have to improve the performance of an already built (in-house) Xylophone playing robot! This is by far the most awesome thing I've ever got to play with.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnRZ_Pj5k5Q

This is just my first test. You can't see in the video but it has 2 arms! I'll keep this topic updated once I get it to actually play something interesting :)

Don't mind the terrible noise, it's not coming from my robot. There's some construction in my lab right now and it's driving me crazy.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
My project is not nearly as awesome as what a lot of you are working on, but here's my newest site: http://www.meta.tf/

I've got a working backpack viewer (UI terribly neglected), login system, account dashboard, and admin area. By working I mean it will authenticate/add a user to the database using Steam's implementation of OpenID.

It's written with Node.JS, Express, and Mongoose with a Twitter Bootstrap frontend.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Mar 21, 2013

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Sir Davey posted:

As a semester project, I have to improve the performance of an already built (in-house) Xylophone playing robot! This is by far the most awesome thing I've ever got to play with.

This is just my first test. You can't see in the video but it has 2 arms! I'll keep this topic updated once I get it to actually play something interesting :)

Don't mind the terrible noise, it's not coming from my robot. There's some construction in my lab right now and it's driving me crazy.

Very cool. What's the fastest rhythm it can play? Can you do an insane robotic tremelo?

That Turkey Story
Mar 30, 2003

Sir Davey posted:

Whats with the picture of the flabby dude in the background???

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

lord funk posted:

Very cool. What's the fastest rhythm it can play? Can you do an insane robotic tremelo?

Right now the speeds are limited because of inertia and vibrations. The idea is to "dominate" this effect with software, but the key to getting it to play faster is to use its second arm and make shorter moves :)

That Turkey Story posted:

Whats with the picture of the flabby dude in the background???

This is originally a biomedical lab, so there are pictures of flabby dudes like that. I think it's showing some way of seeing the veins or something.

Large Hardon Collider
Nov 28, 2005

PARADOL EX FAN CLUB

Sir Davey posted:

A group in my robotics class made a xylophone playing robot that was just an array of 20+ solenoids positioned over the keys. Kind of a cop out, but it sounded great and could play insanely fast.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

I wanted to make a web socket server. Only in .net 4.5? gently caress that poo poo I'll decode/encode those bytes myself! (In retrospect, what a (mild) pain)

hendersa
Sep 17, 2006

The BeagleSNES project is moving right along, and I just finished up a simple project launch trailer for it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pl87z0w8B0

I don't have the video publicly searchable, so it is really only you guys that will see it for now. I've registered a domain name (beaglesnes.org), and I'll be opening a project at SourceForge for it and getting the DNS to point there as soon as I get a webpage up and make the code and file system images ready for download. My development task list is still pretty long, but I think it is solid enough to take a snapshot and get the project out there for people to look at it.

:toot:

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008
SourceForge? Really? What advantages do you see SF giving you over, say, GitHub?

Programmer Humor
Nov 27, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

I added a few things.

• Blocks are now twice as tall to make it easier to dig out tunnels.
  • Roof blocks that detect the blocks around them and change shape accordingly.
  • Fences that follow the ground in different ways, either by slanting or by creating steps.
  • AI paths. These also detect surrounding blocks to check validity. They are then connected into a global graph for navigation.
  • Actors, currently represented by ominous black triangles. They scan the reachable blocks for jobs to perform and walk there to perform them. Right now that's just changing planned blocks into real blocks. Later versions will take tools, materials, skills and other things into account
  • Backgrounds. Pretty crappy looking right now since it's mostly a scale/LOD test, but later versions will have properly generated worlds. I'm also planning on having other user generated structures show up in the distance for a more interesting view.

hendersa
Sep 17, 2006

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

SourceForge? Really? What advantages do you see SF giving you over, say, GitHub?

I'll have web hosting of my project domain directed to a vhost at SourceForge. I will not be using the source control repositories because my project is a collection of large components, several binary-only. I am making a single, large filesystem image available (about 4GB decompressed) and tarballs of individual components available so that people are able to examine particular components that they are interested in. SourceForge offers a project wiki, just like GitHub, for any documentation that I need to make available.

I just need web hosting for my project's domain and unlimited, free bandwidth for downloading the massive files of my project for end users. SourceForge fits the bill.

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

Was it how!! who freaked out about making a sudoku solver? I can't remember.

Anyways that's what I did for an AI assignment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvlbHv7yUNY

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
I only remember it being brought up when talking about TDD, ended up on Peter Norvig's Solution vs a TDD approach that didn't understand the problem space well enough. Basically it boiled down to the fact that if you don't understand the concepts required, you can't brute force TDD your way to understanding them and it won't help you.

edit: \/\/ Ahem, thanks. :)

Maluco Marinero fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Mar 24, 2013

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Maluco Marinero posted:

a TTD approach

I would love to watch some trains solve sudoku in Transport Tycoon Deluxe.

(Trains are Turing-complete right?)

Contains Acetone
Aug 22, 2004
DROP IN ANY US MAILBOX, POST PAID BY SECUR-A-KEY

Contains Acetone fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jun 24, 2020

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right

Tres Burritos posted:

Was it how!! who freaked out about making a sudoku solver? I can't remember.

Anyways that's what I did for an AI assignment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvlbHv7yUNY

That is pretty cool, can you share the source code? (for the part that solves it, not the GUI, although I'd like to see the scraper too)

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

Grawl posted:

That is pretty cool, can you share the source code? (for the part that solves it, not the GUI, although I'd like to see the scraper too)

I'm still cleaning up the code because ... it looks like poo poo. The scraper is using selenium which is cool as hell. But yeah I could put it up later.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
Pretty much finished the guts of my Team Fortress 2 backpack viewer:
http://www.meta.tf/backpack/76561198042775435
http://www.meta.tf/backpack/76561197991291041

Written in Nodejs + a ton of modules.

I'll probably need to refactor the code for optimization before launching, but I'm pretty sure it's non blocking. Matching the order of the items on the page to match the order of the items in the user's actual backpack was actually pretty complicated. It involved breaking down an API token from Steam to binary and doing calculations on the binary pattern which then returned the actual slot it resides in. Of course the API never really said that's what needs to be done. Accounting for empty slots between/after items was also kind of a pain, but I'm fairly certain I got it right.

Also most of the view will need to be changed to look better and add some tooltips/jQuery class changes, but I'm happy enough with it to move onto the next feature for now.

Edit2: Hotfixed. There was a problem viewing if a user wasn't logged in

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Mar 24, 2013

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

So I decided to see how fast my sudoku solver would solve without waiting for inputs and firefox. Turns out it goes pretty fast, always under 1 second for even the "evil" problems on websudoku.

Then I decided to graph the output of running 4 simultaneous solvers for "easy", "medium", "hard" and "evil" difficulties.

Which does this to my System / CPU.

:haw:

I've got the 4 separate threads for each of the difficulties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
What are the axes on that graph?