Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
That's one of the most generic modern movie posters I've seen. What's the point of the text above "Into Darkness"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl

Cheesus posted:

That's one of the most generic modern movie posters I've seen. What's the point of the text above "Into Darkness"?

It's an international poster designed to show off the actors. Don't worry too much about it.

Aatrek fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Mar 21, 2013

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

There's a bit of a Star Trek 3 vibe going on, from the fact that the main characters aren't in uniform to the whole crashing the Enterprise thing.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Oh poo poo, I had forgotten Peter Weller is in this. My recent viewing of season five of 24 suddenly has my mind interpreting the apparent plot in a whole new way. :ohdear:

Rocket Ace
Aug 11, 2006

R.I.P. Dave Stevens
I'm a little worried, based on the trailers alone, that we won't see much of space or space ships in this movie.

I just hope that we get at least one ship to ship battle in this one...

Then again, I'm sure that most audiences don't give two fucks about that stuff anyway.

Mr. Fun
Sep 22, 2006

ABSOLUTE KINOGRAPHY

Rocket Ace posted:

I'm a little worried, based on the trailers alone, that we won't see much of space or space ships in this movie.

I just hope that we get at least one ship to ship battle in this one...

Then again, I'm sure that most audiences don't give two fucks about that stuff anyway.

I think the majority of people expect some spaceships when they see a movie called Star Trek, actually.

Troll Bridgington
Dec 22, 2011

Keeping up foreign relations.
Benedict Cumberbatch... :allears: Is it bad that I hope the bad guy wins this time around?

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Good gravy, but that's all some terrible dialogue terribly delivered. Every single line in that trailer was just awful. I sure hope it's just weird editing.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

AlternateAccount posted:

Good gravy, but that's all some terrible dialogue terribly delivered. Every single line in that trailer was just awful. I sure hope it's just weird editing.

It's kind of hard to make that judgment completely devoid of any context, isn't it?

Cellophane S
Nov 14, 2004

Now you're playing with power.
The lack of reverence for the starship Enterprise is troubling to me. I think it's plain stupid to destroy it in the SECOND movie. The audience has next to zero attachment to it before they toss it away. Disappointing :(

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

octoroon posted:

It's kind of hard to make that judgment completely devoid of any context, isn't it?

Not really, plenty of trailers pull it off just fine.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Oh poo poo, I had forgotten Peter Weller is in this. My recent viewing of season five of 24 suddenly has my mind interpreting the apparent plot in a whole new way. :ohdear:
He's also been in a Star Trek series before, back at the very end of Enterprise in a two parter.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

I said come in! posted:

Not really, plenty of trailers pull it off just fine.

Yeah, I mean every single line spoken in the trailer elicits a "Who in the hell talks like that?!"

I really hope the villain has a lot more nuance than what is shown here, which is basically just super-smug revenge monkey.

Cellophane S
Nov 14, 2004

Now you're playing with power.
I like Cumberbatch but the internet's crush on him is getting out of hand.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Cellophane S posted:

I do like him, but I haven't liked anything he has actually been in. Sherlock was an overrated show.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

I said come in! posted:

I do like him, but I haven't liked anything he has actually been in. Sherlock was an overrated show.

I though Sherlock was a pleasant surprise, especially I discovered the series by accident after I saw the Guy Ritchie movie. The middle episodes in both seasons were weak, but the rest were pretty fantastic.

Plus seeing Cumberbatch dancing in a Youtube video was hilarious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSgdyNZABt0

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I perked right the gently caress up when I heard Weller's voice. Hopefully he gets shot up and rebuilt into a ROBOAdmiral. I mean poo poo, they both have Prime Directives.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Cellophane S posted:

The lack of reverence for the starship Enterprise is troubling to me. I think it's plain stupid to destroy it in the SECOND movie. The audience has next to zero attachment to it before they toss it away. Disappointing :(

Well that might not even be the Enterprise. It could be another of the same class. And as far as the audience being attached to it I think most casual fans will still be attached to this one given it's the same shape and dimensions if it is indeed the Enterprise going down.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
It's not the Enterprise crashing into the ocean.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Aatrek posted:

It's not the Enterprise crashing into the ocean.
I vaguely remember somebody (you?) explaining why before, but I forgot ...

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
The nacelles are all wrong.

Edit: on the crashing ship, that is.

Aatrek fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Mar 21, 2013

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Aatrek posted:

I have been saying that all a long.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Aatrek posted:

Edit: on the crashing ship, that is.

In nuTrek, they replace the ship then crash it :pseudo:

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Mar 21, 2013

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Cellophane S posted:

It's a refreshing break from Nathan Fillion love, at least.

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.

Aatrek posted:

It's an international poster designed to show off the actors. Don't worry too much about it.

Yet again, the not gays as said by Mr. Plinkett.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

does Spock still get to pick and choose Starfleet regulations to follow when it comes to his love interest, Uhuararararara (spelling might be off)?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Rhyno posted:

I perked right the gently caress up when I heard Weller's voice. Hopefully he gets shot up and rebuilt into a ROBOAdmiral. I mean poo poo, they both have Prime Directives.

Literally, because of his character in 24 and how he seems to play utter bastard shitheads in everything, I am fully expecting his character to be part of whatever Cumberbatch is doing. Like when Cumberbatch says "you have no idea what you have done" or whatever, it's like maybe Weller is a corrupt Admiral and Cumberbatch is trying to destroy Starfleet because of him somehow.

Cumberbatch, Cumberbatch, Cumberbatch!

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Literally, because of his character in 24 and how he seems to play utter bastard shitheads in everything, I am fully expecting his character to be part of whatever Cumberbatch is doing. Like when Cumberbatch says "you have no idea what you have done" or whatever, it's like maybe Weller is a corrupt Admiral and Cumberbatch is trying to destroy Starfleet because of him somehow.

Cumberbatch, Cumberbatch, Cumberbatch!

My theory is that Starfleet found the Botany Bay, or another ship like it, years ago and is either using the supermen as Section 31 agents or performed illegal genetic engineering experiments on existing agents. Either way Harrison got screwed by them and wants to bring the program to light, killing them is just gravy.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

The MSJ posted:

There's a URL hidden in the scene where Carol is in her underwear (clever, that). It leads to a site with a new poster.

Ah, of course, the classic character triumvirate of Kirk, Spock, and...Uhura. Well it makes sense, Karl Urban isn't a leading movie star or anyth...

Yeah, I dunno. :sigh:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I too lament when black females are given a lead role.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Astroman posted:

Ah, of course, the classic character triumvirate of Kirk, Spock, and...Uhura. Well it makes sense, Karl Urban isn't a leading movie star or anyth...

Yeah, I dunno. :sigh:

Did you not watch the first movie? McCoy is clearly not a main character in this incarnation of Star Trek, but Uhura is.

Art Alexakis
Mar 27, 2008
Christopher Lloyd is the bad guy in "Star Trek 3: The Search for Spock".

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Art Alexakis posted:

Christopher Lloyd is the bad guy in "Star Trek 3: The Search for Spock".

And in Star Trek 4 they use Christopher Lloyds vehicle to time travel :aaa:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

1st AD posted:

Did you not watch the first movie? McCoy is clearly not a main character in this incarnation of Star Trek, but Uhura is.

How is she a lead character? She didn't do anything.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Astroman posted:

Karl Urban isn't a leading movie star or anyth...

He pretty much isn't though. Zoe Saldana is at least as much of a leading movie star as he is, if not arguably more of one.

I love Urban--and specifically his Bones--as much as the next guy, but Uhura is clearly a huge character in these movies. It makes perfect sense. Plus who wants a poster packed with four white guys?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

I said come in! posted:

She does at least as much as McCoy. In terms of people "doing stuff" last movie it roughly goes Kirk, Spock, Scotty, and then Spock again anyway.

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

You travelled a long way for
"I don't know", sonny.
:whip: :cthulhu: :shivdurf:

So, Geo. Takei posted on his facebook that some fan or other pointed out that the shuttle appears to have "Takay" written on the side of it. Anyone else hear anything about this? I think it would be pretty awesome if it was a shout-out to our boy Sulu.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Sulu is in the movie, what's he need a clumsy rear end shout-out for?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I said come in! posted:

She did as much as anyone not named Spock or Kirk and is the primary love interest of one of the aforementioned characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Yeah let's try to sell a four-quadrant blockbuster to every demographic with nothing but dudes holding guns on the poster.

• Locked thread