Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ayss
Jul 11, 2007
I've been using and enjoying the Bow so far in multiplayer. Going to push on without knowing my charms. I'm thinking about upgrading from the starter bow to the Queen's Blaster, which would cost me power coating but get me poison and paralysis. Am I crippling myself doing that? It feels like power is my all purpose use for damage arrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Bows are meh for straight damage, but great for elements and status attacks.

Ayss
Jul 11, 2007

Machai posted:

Bows are meh for straight damage, but great for elements and status attacks.

Thanks. It sounds worth it then to up the number of status effects I have access to.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Why does my pig hate snuggling with me? Does he smell my bloodlust?

Vallens
Jan 27, 2004

Get back in line you drunken fool!

Static Rook posted:

I'm away from my Wii U most of this weekend so I'll be living vicariously through your stream. Thanks!

I'll be streaming tomorrow night for sure. The rest of the weekend when I can. I love nothing more then talking about Monster Hunter and other games so definitely swing by and hang out.

dvorak
Sep 11, 2003

WARNING: Temporal rift detected!

Countblanc posted:

Why does my pig hate snuggling with me? Does he smell my bloodlust?

Got to have great timing to properly snuggle with a pig.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
Does hitting monsters in the face with the butt of a gun still KO in this one? I had a set in P3rd which was hilarious for this.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Just checking before I play the game tonight, does it ever tutor you on how to capture monsters?

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Ciaphas posted:

Just checking before I play the game tonight, does it ever tutor you on how to capture monsters?

Yes. You'll have a key quest to capture an Arzuros and the guild lady will explain what to do when you take it.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Funkmaster General posted:

Yes. You'll have a key quest to capture an Arzuros and the guild lady will explain what to do when you take it.

According to Patrick of GiantBomb, she is not a good enough teacher and you may need to look up a tut on youtube

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Machai posted:

According to Patrick of GiantBomb, she is not a good enough teacher and you may need to look up a tut on youtube

Yes, but while I love Patrick (and the whole GB crew), let's be honest here: he kind of sucks at video games. I think the tutorial is pretty straightforward. It isn't a very complex task.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

ChibiSoma posted:

Oh Jesus, how do you break his uvula? Any time his mouth is open, he's biting at you. It must be a fairly easy break, yeah? Also, 'breaking a uvula' sounds like the worst pain ever.

Sadly, no weapons unlocked for me after I beat him. But I had so much fun fighting him that that won't be a problem. He's the first 'new' monster that I really had a blast fighting. It's a shame you can't break his nose, it seems like such an obvious place to crack!

If his HH is a harmonica, that'll be the first HH I try to get/use.

The easiest way? Use a bow/bowgun. When he's charging at you with his big ol' derp mouth open his uvula is fair game. Other than that, if you knock him down he flops onto his side with his mouth open and can get some hits in. Maybe after he's eaten a bomb too.

Heads up, he can eat bombs and then you can fish him out.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Machai posted:

you may need to look up a tut on youtube

I seriously doubt that learning how to catch a monster requires that.

When you see a monster limp (usually they're pretty obvious if they're limping, but some like Barroth or Diablos are a bit harder to tell), you follow them back to their nest (or not, either way), then you put down a shock trap or a pitfall trap (shock traps are generally better since it's easier to hit the monster with tranqs) then you throw tranquilizers at them until they fall asleep, usually 2 or 3 traquilizers will knock them out cold.

Ignimbrite fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Mar 22, 2013

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Is there a reason I can't use Poison Shot with any kind of bowgun? Light or Heavy, it doesn't seem to matter. All I want to do is poison some bugs to harvest their parts. I have the Poison Shots on me, but no matter where I put them, the only shot option is the Normal L1.

E: ...Poison Coating also not appearing for Bows. The hell is going on.

ChibiSoma fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Mar 22, 2013

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Thinking about picking this up. How's the frame rate on the Wii U version?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

SeANMcBAY posted:

Looks a completely constant rate, so whatever the wiiU outputs at 60 or 30. I've had no slow downs and I'm pretty sure its running at 60. If you really want to try it out the demo is available in the eShop if you already have the wiiU. Even if you already know you like Monster Hunter games and want it if you are worried about the FPS you can verify its what you need.

ChibiSoma posted:

Is there a reason I can't use Poison Shot with any kind of bowgun? Light or Heavy, it doesn't seem to matter. All I want to do is poison some bugs to harvest their parts. I have the Poison Shots on me, but no matter where I put them, the only shot option is the Normal L1.

I know blow guns need to support the ammo on that gun. I'm not positive about bows, but that could be the case too.

The_North
May 13, 2009

All of Them Witches

ChibiSoma posted:

None of the starting bows or bowguns can use poison shots/coatings. You either have to forge up a new bow/bowgun that does support poison, or use poison bombs (bomb casing + toadstool). One thing to note about poison bombs: you throw them directly at your feet and they're not very big, so you'll want to be right on top of the bugs when you use it.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

I never checked what table I was on, but I just got a Rustshard so it must be a good one. But what I do know is the Qurupeco armor is ~fabulous~.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Level Slide posted:

I never checked what table I was on, but I just got a Rustshard so it must be a good one. But what I do know is the Qurupeco armor is ~fabulous~.

This game has sparked a hunting horn revolution. A fantastically fashionable revolution. I'm always sad when I have to switch to an edged weapon to cut tails.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Bussamove posted:

This game has sparked a hunting horn revolution. A fantastically fashionable revolution. I'm always sad when I have to switch to an edged weapon to cut tails.

People a page or two back said you can cut tails with hunting horns with two of its attacks

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

gwrtheyrn posted:

People a page or two back said you can cut tails with hunting horns with two of its attacks

The poke can cut tails, but it's hilariously impractical to actually do on anything not a leviathan since it has such a short range. I have cut Ludroth's tail with it in a pinch before, though.

UnholyCow
Oct 6, 2005

bluegoon posted:

So how's the experience with the WiiU's built in voice? Do you guys find people are actually using it online?

Almost everyone I end up playing with uses it. It sounds good and you don't have to hold the gamepad close to your face for it to pick up or anything stupid like that. I use a Pro controller with the gamepad sitting nearby in the stand and just talk. There is a place on the touch screen where you can mute yourself so all you disgusting goons don't share your farts with the world.

It has made coordination in teams really easy. The only annoying part has been hearing controller inputs if someone goes apeshit with the buttons, but that has been pretty rare so far.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
Yeah, for some reason I was under the impression that the Wii U didn't have a microphone or something, so I didn't realize I was missing out on voice chat until someone told me to put my pad volume up. That needs to be one of the pre-set messages or something.

Arthe Xavier
Apr 22, 2007

Artificial Stupidity
I'm seriously thinking about picking this up for the Wii U today. I tried the 3DS demo earlier in the morning, and actually enjoyed it - the aesthetics remind me of FFXI Online ( for some reason ), and I was a huge fan of that game back in the day. I also like difficult games with steep learning curves ( Dark Souls ), boss-fights and playing online, and Monster Hunter 3 seems to contain all of those.

Dinotron
Sep 2, 2008

Arthe Xavier posted:

I'm seriously thinking about picking this up for the Wii U today. I tried the 3DS demo earlier in the morning, and actually enjoyed it - the aesthetics remind me of FFXI Online ( for some reason ), and I was a huge fan of that game back in the day. I also like difficult games with steep learning curves ( Dark Souls ), boss-fights and playing online, and Monster Hunter 3 seems to contain all of those.

Oh, I remember FFXI. Remember grinding Tiamat over and over for the off chance he'll drop fleece so you can craft a Sha'ir Manteel? Yeah, that's all this game is. Except it's more rewarding because you're not stuck in horribly boring roles and waiting several hours pop times.

such hawks
Jul 28, 2007

scissorman posted:

How newbie-friendly are the ranged weapons in MH3U, especially the bow?
I generally prefer ranged combat but in the demo I ran out of time with the bow against the easy monster and barely made it with the heavy bowgun.

It pays to remember that ranged weapons in monster hunter are more like "more ranged than melee" weapons - if you are using bows (except for the vertical barrage shot), or non-elemental/status shots with bowguns, there is a damage modifier for how close you are, up to a relatively close circle around the target. You may get better clear times by getting in somewhat close to the monster, but far enough away to avoid its attacks.

You might find the heavy bowgun a bit frustrating in the same way new melee fighters find the great sword or lance frustrating - once you have it out, you move pretty slow. Having said that, like the GS, it'll melt monsters quite quickly, and once you get used to sheathing/unsheathing to maneuver you might come to really like it. I think HBGs are sweet, especially the cool reloading *ka-chunk* :D

Ayss posted:

I've been using and enjoying the Bow so far in multiplayer. Going to push on without knowing my charms. I'm thinking about upgrading from the starter bow to the Queen's Blaster, which would cost me power coating but get me poison and paralysis. Am I crippling myself doing that? It feels like power is my all purpose use for damage arrow.

Power shots are very nice, and I wouldn't use poison as a substitute, only as a complimentary damager. If you are clearing a monster you already have killed, you can probably drop it relatively fast anyway, but I always try to take power coatings for new monsters so that the kill doesn't take too long. I'm used to GS/Hammer kill times usually though, so your mileage may vary.

Dishsoap
Dec 8, 2007
Is the Circle Pad Pro pretty much required for the 3DS version? The underwater sections feel terrible trying to use the D-pad to control which direction you're moving while trying to move with the stick at the same time.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

ChibiSoma posted:

Oh Jesus, how do you break his uvula? Any time his mouth is open, he's biting at you.

If you drop large barrel bombs while he is chasing you he will eat them. I assume eating bombs is not good for your uvula.

avlein
Jun 13, 2011

Dishsoap posted:

Is the Circle Pad Pro pretty much required for the 3DS version? The underwater sections feel terrible trying to use the D-pad to control which direction you're moving while trying to move with the stick at the same time.

Try setting the touchscreen dpad on the right side and use your right thumb to move the camera. That's how I do it and its worked out fine so far.

SLUM KING
Nov 16, 2011

SeANMcBAY posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAfwCzkv2Hk

It ain't what it should be.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

What are good spots for thunderbugs and carpenterbugs? It's not translated on the site yet, so Ive been hitting every spot I find while hunting and I now have 8 billion flash and killer beetles.

LeFishy
Jul 21, 2010

Bobnumerotres posted:

What are good spots for thunderbugs and carpenterbugs? It's not translated on the site yet, so Ive been hitting every spot I find while hunting and I now have 8 billion flash and killer beetles.

The only luck I've ever had with Cbugs is in the little hidden grotto in area 4 of the island.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Carpenter bugs are pretty easy to get in the desert area.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Bobnumerotres posted:

Sandy Plains Areas 1, 2 and 4

Joink
Jan 8, 2004

What if I told you cod is no longer a fish :coolfish:

LeFishy posted:

The only luck I've ever had with Cbugs is in the little hidden grotto in area 4 of the island.

Its a fixed spawn. Areas 1 to 5 have a 20% - 30% chance to spawn bugs that give carpenterbugs.

Kooriken
Dec 27, 2012

This thread is beneath my talent, but I....shall elevate it.
Well time to grind for a 6% carve for the armor set I want. Guess it's not too bad, there are a couple extra chances to get the carve with this guy including the post-mortem carves.

And so it begins.

Cellophane S
Nov 14, 2004

Now you're playing with power.
I really don't have the money nor the will to invest in a WiiU at this point, so I'm asking:

is the 3DS version the full experience? Except for the online that is.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Cellophane S posted:

I really don't have the money nor the will to invest in a WiiU at this point, so I'm asking:

is the 3DS version the full experience? Except for the online that is.

Yes the 2 games play together and are compatible, you can transfer your save back and forth all you want. So when you do get a wiiU you can play online with your stuff and do the G-Rank stuff you are probably going to have issues soloing. You can enter the "multiplayer" area solo just fine. The issue is the monsters will have HP meant for 2-4 people to kill and may pose a much larger threat, you should be able to do everything but the newly added last difficulty pretty easy by yourself from what I have gathered.

I have the wiiU version and have been playing solo for a bit since I haven't had more then 20-40 minutes at a time and I don't want to leave a group mid combat. Its still very fun solo, and you can see every monster (I'm pretty sure you can at least, there may be a few G only monsters but I doubt most people will even both with getting that far in the first place). You still have hundreds of hours of play time.

So if you ever do get a wiiU its not like you can't play online with people with that same character. It's kind of win/win. You can probably find some people locally to play with too if you really try and just have a cool 3DS MHU club and gently caress online you have everything you need at the local coffee shop.

pixaal fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Mar 22, 2013

commander nojj
Feb 9, 2007
the one and only

Dishsoap posted:

I have the cpp and I love using it, not only does it provide a fantastic grip for my 3ds but the zl and zr buttons rotate the camera. Swimming with the right stick is pretty much a quality of life thing that I can't do without at this point.

Are you making sure to apply some pressure on the touch screen when using the on screen dpad? I realized that was a thing the 3ds screen needed to be effective, it might help out a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cellophane S
Nov 14, 2004

Now you're playing with power.

pixaal posted:

Yes the 2 games play together and are compatible, you can transfer your save back and forth all you want. So when you do get a wiiU you can play online with your stuff and do the G-Rank stuff you are probably going to have issues soloing. You can enter the "multiplayer" area solo just fine. The issue is the monsters will have HP meant for 2-4 people to kill and may pose a much larger threat, you should be able to do everything but the newly added last difficulty pretty easy by yourself from what I have gathered.

I have the wiiU version and have been playing solo for a bit since I haven't had more then 20-40 minutes at a time and I don't want to leave a group mid combat. Its still very fun solo, and you can see every monster (I'm pretty sure you can at least, there may be a few G only monsters but I doubt most people will even both with getting that far in the first place). You still have hundreds of hours of play time.

So if you ever do get a wiiU its not like you can't play online with people with that same character. It's kind of win/win. You can probably find some people locally to play with too if you really try and just have a cool 3DS MHU club and gently caress online you have everything you need at the local coffee shop.

I'll probably get 3DS version then, and maybe, MAYBE WiiU if the console's other software picks up

• Locked thread