Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

zedprime posted:

From an industrial background I find it kind of interesting the personal involvement and potentially egos involved when a product is seen as arty or whatever you want to call it.

For example, the dude on the toilet paper line at Georgia Pacific, who is no less skilled than a prep chef or assistant brewer, probably doesn't give a second thought that the TP made on extra line capacity is going to say Kirkland Signature instead of GP.

What about the guy who hand rolls his own ~artisinal toilet paper~?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

zedprime posted:

From an industrial background I find it kind of interesting the personal involvement and potentially egos involved when a product is seen as arty or whatever you want to call it.

For example, the dude on the toilet paper line at Georgia Pacific, who is no less skilled than a prep chef or assistant brewer, probably doesn't give a second thought that the TP made on extra line capacity is going to say Kirkland Signature instead of GP.

I think the difference is the guy on the line wants to create a product that people buy, while in other industries it's about creating a product that people like. When I worked in software people were proud of our products and talked them up even to non-industry people because it was cool to say "I worked on this software you use." I don't know if there's really that level of pride in a manufacturing job unless it's a respected, special product. If the Saturn commercials in the 90s were to be believed, car workers love the poo poo out of the cars they build.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

zedprime posted:

In Joseph Epstein's Snobbery- which I highly recommend- he mentions that at some point in the latter half of the 20th Century, working in kitchens in food preparation, in vineyards, etc. suddenly became positions of "craft" in social views. Prior, unless you were a seriously famous person in the food/beverage industry, it was looked upon as the equivalent of an industrial job and in many cases, less. It has a lot to do with a dramatic increase in service industry jobs, where the "creator" of those services has more prestige. And nearly a decade after the book was published, a boom in interest in food (via television) and beer (via awesome beer) has made "celebrity" chefs and brewers, etc. positions even more prestigious. This is the kind of celebrity that Jeppe and Mikkel have latched onto, good or bad.

I'm not ready to compare brewing and industrial line work- and certainly do not believe that someone who works as a brewer isn't skilled or have a deeply developed craft- but the change in attitude towards the former compared to the latter is certainly interesting.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Saint Darwin posted:

I think the difference is the guy on the line wants to create a product that people buy, while in other industries it's about creating a product that people like. When I worked in software people were proud of our products and talked them up even to non-industry people because it was cool to say "I worked on this software you use." I don't know if there's really that level of pride in a manufacturing job unless it's a respected, special product. If the Saturn commercials in the 90s were to be believed, car workers love the poo poo out of the cars they build.

Agreed. Frankly, there's also usual a socio-economic difference in the people in the two groups...

BoredByThis
Jul 13, 2001

Watch out! I'll attract you too!

ShaneB posted:

My buddy in Cleveland just picked up rose de gambrinus from a gas station. Welp.

I know that gas station, and it's selection easily rivals the Beer Temple without a doubt. They're a craft beer gas station if that makes any sense.

Edit: It's the Gulf just north of Salem in NE Ohio.

BoredByThis fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Mar 22, 2013

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

BoredByThis posted:

I know that gas station, and it's selection easily rivals the Beer Temple without a doubt. They're a craft beer gas station if that makes any sense.

Kinda like that Walgreens just west of the loop that briefly had Fou Foune.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

crazyfish posted:

Kinda like that Walgreens just west of the loop that briefly had Fou Foune.

The fancy walgreens isn't much like a Get Go on Clifton in Lakewood.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

ShaneB posted:

The fancy walgreens isn't much like a Get Go on Clifton in Lakewood.

Giant Eagle has some regional beer dudes who probably figured that Get Go moves fancy beer faster than languishing in a suburban grocery store.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

SUPER HASSLER posted:

Yeah untappd is exactly what you want; plus, Achievements!

Apropos of nothing, the top 2 things I don't like about beer in Oregon:
1. No Odell
2. No Left Hand. :mad: Someone brought in some un-nitro Milk Stout earlier and I just about died of excess bliss.

Seekabrew.com shows Left Hand distributing here but this must be one of those cases where it's inaccurate as I've never seen it. Might have to ask around a bit.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

dphi posted:

Seekabrew.com shows Left Hand distributing here but this must be one of those cases where it's inaccurate as I've never seen it. Might have to ask around a bit.

According to the map on the company site they go to WA and AZ but otherwise no state west of CO for some reason.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Someone murdered the wiki... Maybe it's time for registration only edits?

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

danbanana posted:

Someone murdered the wiki... Maybe it's time for registration only edits?

Dammit.
I'll enable user only edits tonight. Probably make a few (most?) of you admins so you can approve them too.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

ChiTownEddie posted:

Dammit.
I'll enable user only edits tonight. Probably make a few (most?) of you admins so you can approve them too.

Rad. I brought back the front page and the Chicago page. Looked like most of the others were untouched.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

danbanana posted:

Rad. I brought back the front page and the Chicago page. Looked like most of the others were untouched.

Thanks, I IP blocked them.
Actually I'll do this tomorrow morning, hopefully nothing else between now and then. Gotta watch bball tonight hah. Maybe then I'll get to creating the categories and such for general organization too...

Raveen
Jul 18, 2004
I'll be visiting Philli the first week of April and was wondering if anyone knows where I can get some Hill Farmstead, if it's available. I had their Simcoe pale ale at Hawthornes in October and I loved it.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Raveen posted:

I'll be visiting Philli the first week of April and was wondering if anyone knows where I can get some Hill Farmstead, if it's available. I had their Simcoe pale ale at Hawthornes in October and I loved it.

Bookmark http://phillytapfinder.com/on-tap/ and pray.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

ChiTownEddie posted:

Thanks, I IP blocked them.

Didn't work, they came back and did it again with a different IP. Looks like bizarre botspam.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Phanatic posted:

Didn't work, they came back and did it again with a different IP. Looks like bizarre botspam.

Sob. Okay. Screw being at work, I'm going to look up how to enable account only posting.

E: Done. I'm going to check out this extension that requires confirmation to create an account.

ChiTownEddie fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Mar 22, 2013

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

It's probably super polarizing but i'm drinking a Green Flash Palate Wrecker right now and it's delicious. Super hoppy. Almost painfully so. Tastes like grapefruit rind and pine resin but with a really nice malt undertone that you don't find in a lot of one note hop bombs. Are there any other beers I should be on the look out for that are similar?

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

HatfulOfHollow posted:

It's probably super polarizing but i'm drinking a Green Flash Palate Wrecker right now and it's delicious. Super hoppy. Almost painfully so. Tastes like grapefruit rind and pine resin but with a really nice malt undertone that you don't find in a lot of one note hop bombs. Are there any other beers I should be on the look out for that are similar?

Abrasive is right up there with that if you have Surly accessible to you. Most people compare it to Ruination, I do think Palate Wrecker is better though. Also Union Jack and Hoptimum are around that same vein.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

HatfulOfHollow posted:

I like Palate Wrecker but I don't really care for West Coast IPA. Its weird.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

air- posted:

Abrasive is right up there with that if you have Surly accessible to you.

Huh. I wouldn't compare Abrasive to Palate Wrecker at all. PW is a quintessential West Coast "let's make this hoppy as hell" DIPA, while Abrasive has, y'know, balance. I don't dislike PW, but I'll take Ruination any day over it for that type of DIPA.

Compusaurus
May 29, 2003
OK, I WILL, IN A MINUTE...
Has anyone had this year's Peruvian Morning? I heard last year's was infected and was a bit tart. I'm drinking a 2013 now and it has a slight tartness to it as well. It still tastes really good but just slightly...off.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Compusaurus posted:

Has anyone had this year's Peruvian Morning? I heard last year's was infected and was a bit tart. I'm drinking a 2013 now and it has a slight tartness to it as well. It still tastes really good but just slightly...off.

I've had both last year's and this years and I tasted no infection this year. Reports on BA found one person with a potentially infected bottle but it seemed to be isolated.

I Dont Like You
Jul 6, 2003
Yeah, I've had quite a few bottles of it and haven't experienced anything remotely off.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

crazyfish posted:

I've had both last year's and this years and I tasted no infection this year. Reports on BA found one person with a potentially infected bottle but it seemed to be isolated.

i'm assuming the "one person" is this year, right? the bottle i received in trade from last year was definitely infected.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

funkybottoms posted:

i'm assuming the "one person" is this year, right? the bottle i received in trade from last year was definitely infected.

Yes.

edit: Here's the thread: http://beeradvocate.com/community/threads/infected-peruvian-morning.74511/

Compusaurus
May 29, 2003
Well, I have seven more bottles so maybe it's just my mind playing tricks on me. As I said, it's still quite enjoyable.

As an aside, anyone have advice on whether to bother aging Coffee BCBS? I've heard mixed reviews between the coffee notes becoming subtler and it flat out tasting better. I have a bottle left and feel like popping it open tonight.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Compusaurus posted:

As an aside, anyone have advice on whether to bother aging Coffee BCBS? I've heard mixed reviews between the coffee notes becoming subtler and it flat out tasting better. I have a bottle left and feel like popping it open tonight.

The coffee dies, but is still definitely there. I personally think it's a little too sweet/artificial when it's really fresh, so my preference is some time on it prior to opening.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

danbanana posted:

The coffee dies, but is still definitely there. I personally think it's a little too sweet/artificial when it's really fresh, so my preference is some time on it prior to opening.

Agree with this. BCBS coffee is very coffee forward when fresh and I much prefer it with a few months (minimum) on it.

Compusaurus
May 29, 2003

crazyfish posted:

Agree with this. BCBS coffee is very coffee forward when fresh and I much prefer it with a few months (minimum) on it.

I've had three bottles this year that were fresh and enjoyed it a lot. The bottle I have now has been sitting in the fridge since late November so odds are the flavor hasn't changed dramatically. That said, I'll probably hold off for a bit longer as the person I intended on sharing it with won't be around tonight.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
I had my first and only Bourbon County Coffee this year. It was a month from bottling and I thought it was sublime. The coffee is strong and matched by an intense chocolate syrup flavor with a light barrel presence. I liked it a million times more than Bourbon County Stout actually. The only other beer I put on its level is KBS, for bourbon barrel imperial stouts anyway.

bolo yeung
Apr 23, 2010
Just had a Deschutes Red Chair NWPA for the first time. Is this supposed to be a diacetyl bomb, or did I get a bad one?

Also, I got a Petrus Aged Red the other day, but have yet to open it. Anyone have this one yet?

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Well Stone Enjoy By :420: made it to Colorado. This beer rules. The store where I found it had a 1 bottle limit but I may cruise for more tomorrow because it's worth the effort. I do get a hint of the onion I see people bitching about on BA but to my palate it's really minor and only the aftertaste.

bolo yeung posted:

Just had a Deschutes Red Chair NWPA for the first time. Is this supposed to be a diacetyl bomb, or did I get a bad one?

Bad one. I'm pretty sensitive to diacetyl and I love Red Chair.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

BoredByThis posted:

Edit: It's the Gulf just north of Salem in NE Ohio.

Are you talking about the Country Pantry Gulf on Route 224 and 45 in Ellsworth?

My mom actually told me they have a ton of stuff. It's 15 from my house and I've actually never been there.

Aumuller
Jun 25, 2009

The horror..
I tried all five beers made for restaurant Noma side by side yesterday. I really enjoyed the evil twin juniper, the juniper came through in a wonderful fashion. The Mikkeller Pontus was the most interesting of the bunch. It's made with lemon verbena which is one of my favourite herbs and like the juniper, the herb plays a major role in the taste. The Novel was fine, but the Oxalis and the birch beer from Skovlyst didn't really do anything for me.

The labels are wonderful as well: http://i1.minus.com/idbIhtFaJ0BvS.JPG

e: Does anyone have some recommendations when it comes to herbal beers? It's a category I'm not really familiar with.

Aumuller fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Mar 23, 2013

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

bolo yeung posted:

Also, I got a Petrus Aged Red the other day, but have yet to open it. Anyone have this one yet?
I had it on draft. It's pretty sweet, and not as tart as I was hoping.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Aumuller posted:

e: Does anyone have some recommendations when it comes to herbal beers? It's a category I'm not really familiar with.

you're in Scandinavia, right? if so, i bet you find a sahti or two, those are made with juniper instead of hops. no idea what American stuff you might get over there, but Stillwater (another gypsy brewer who has made a lot of beer in Europe) makes some really good saisons with various extra ingredients, particularly Cellar Door and the Import Series. in general, i find that sage and basil (Bruery Trade Winds) can work well in beer, but most other herbs- especially rosemary- taste very medicinal to me (Saison du Buff).

also, Haandbryggeriet makes a lot of beers with unusual/traditional ingredients, i bet you could find something from them

funkybottoms fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Mar 23, 2013

Aumuller
Jun 25, 2009

The horror..

funkybottoms posted:

you're in Scandinavia, right?
Yep.
Sahti sounds amazing! I had never heard about it before but it's on the top of my to-buy list now - juniper in beer is amazing! And the rest sounds good as well. I've never really gotten into saisons, so this might be the time. Stillwater is definitely available, so I'll try that. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
I just passed the Cicerone Certified Beer Server exam. It was one of the easiest things I've ever done though I have some qualms with it. First they generalize bocks as 6.3% and higher and secondly if I wanted to I could have Googled the questions. I took it honestly and got 4 questions wrong, 2 about kegs and one about hops because I misread and thought it said 100+ varieties of hops and it said 1,000. I guess I suppose I thought taking this would actually be somewhat difficult, but it wasn't at all. It feels cheapened by the fact that it's online. I can't help but think they love that they can charge $70 for something like this.

Edit: And you print the certificate, wow they don't even mail it to you! Ha.