Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

She did as much as anyone not named Spock or Kirk and is the primary love interest of one of the aforementioned characters.

The character was a plot device for Spock, basically.

My point is that calling her a lead character isn't really accurate. Bones wasnt either, I agree with the posters saying that much. The only two real characters were Spock and Kirk.

I said come in! fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Mar 22, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

I said come in! posted:

My point is that calling her a lead character isn't really accurate. Bones wasnt either, I agree with the posters saying that much. The only two real characters were Spock and Kirk.

It's not a poster for the first movie, though...

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Speaking of which, there seems to be more Uhura than Bones in the trailers so far, too.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

thexerox123 posted:

It's not a poster for the first movie, though...

I'm not going to comment on a character for a movie that no one has seen yet. Maybe things will change and we can have that conversation in two months. Remember, she was on the poster for the first movie too.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

epitasis posted:

Yeah let's try to sell a four-quadrant blockbuster to every demographic with nothing but dudes holding guns on the poster.

It would be way too gay!

So why is Space London like Coruscant? Aren't there space colonies and stuff so people have some elbow room?

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

McDowell posted:

It would be way too gay!

So why is Space London like Coruscant? Aren't there space colonies and stuff so people have some elbow room?

Have you seen what happens to space colonies in Star Trek? I'd never leave the capital either.

TheNakedFantastic
Sep 22, 2006

LITERAL WHITE SUPREMACIST

It's like independence day and transformers had a baby! This is some win!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
So what does Hollywood have against London this year? (It gets blown up in GI Joe too.)

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Payndz posted:

So what does Hollywood have against London this year? (It gets blown up in GI Joe too.)

Outside of time travel episodes New York isn't really portrayed at all in Star Trek. There are references to how _____ character's family is from there or whatever but if I remember right, outside of the west coast almost all of North and South America is large scale controlled farmland. Makes me wonder if, since it's kind of a blank slate it just wasn't even considered as a location.

Then again, future London was never portrayed either. Maybe they just wanted more gamers to look at the trailers and think it's a Mass Effect movie/ripoff again.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Neo Rasa posted:

Outside of time travel episodes New York isn't really portrayed at all in Star Trek. There are references to how _____ character's family is from there or whatever but if I remember right, outside of the west coast almost all of North and South America is large scale controlled farmland. Makes me wonder if, since it's kind of a blank slate it just wasn't even considered as a location.

Then again, future London was never portrayed either. Maybe they just wanted more gamers to look at the trailers and think it's a Mass Effect movie/ripoff again.

They can destroy London as England took over France a while ago and turned it into Dickensian London along with wineyards.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Neo Rasa posted:

The tie-in game even looks like Mass Effect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvTUhO3-cA8

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

The MSJ posted:

The tie-in game even looks like Mass Effect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvTUhO3-cA8

If it is a Mass Effect clone, that's a good thing, right?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Mogomra posted:

If it is a Mass Effect clone, that's a good thing, right?

If it were, that would be, but this looks pretty crappy. A generic, linear shooter with ugly graphics. Of course, I'll probably still play it, because I'm a sucker.

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

DrNutt posted:

If it were, that would be, but this looks pretty crappy. A generic, linear shooter with ugly graphics. Of course, I'll probably still play it, because I'm a sucker.

I'm just happy they haven't given the female Gorn tits and lipstick.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

epitasis posted:

Yeah let's try to sell a four-quadrant blockbuster to every demographic with nothing but dudes holding guns on the poster.

Star Trek: Into Dorkness

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
Here's another gameplay vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Apri7n9GheU

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?

Aren't phasers supposed to be a constant beam? Or did they change that? (Or was it both?) My memory is fuzzy.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
Both shipboard and hand phasers are the 'pulse' version in the JJ films.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?
Ha holy poo poo, how could I have not remembered that?

BrandonGK
May 6, 2005

Throw it out the airlock.
I wonder if that was suppose to be an intentional callback to the ship battles in The Wrath of Khan.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
Those new Gorn are just awful.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Trast posted:

Those new Gorn are just awful.

Yeah, I'd prefer the hulking humanoid Godzilla dudes with insect eyes to humanoid velociraptors.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Young Freud posted:

Yeah, I'd prefer the hulking humanoid Godzilla dudes with insect eyes to humanoid velociraptors.

It's worth noting that only two out of the many different types of Gorn apparently in the game are in that trailer.

You're going to get your hulking humanoid Godzilla ones, too. (Although even in that video, none of them look quite like the classic Gorn. I do miss the insect eyes.)

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl

thexerox123 posted:

Although even in that video, none of them look quite like the classic Gorn. I do miss the insect eyes.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

There are just some things in the galaxy who, through no fault of their own, trigger something deep down in the human pysche. Something primal, something unfettered by modern rules and governance. A single look at this creature would drive any man to do as his ancestors would and fashion a crude cannon out of bamboo.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
My biggest hope for this game is that there will be a button dedicated to bro fisting your co-op partner like in those Army of Two games. That way, when I'm playing Spock and pull of a sick headshot I can turn to Kirk and be like, "Bro! That was sick! Pound it!"

Barudak
May 7, 2007

DrNutt posted:

My biggest hope for this game is that there will be a button dedicated to bro fisting your co-op partner like in those Army of Two games. That way, when I'm playing Spock and pull of a sick headshot I can turn to Kirk and be like, "Bro! That was sick! Pound it!"

I would like it if the button causes Kirk to attempt to pound it and Spock to spout a pithy one liner over the childishness of the whole thing. DLC Bones to tell you after every head shot that "He's dead, Jim"

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Barudak posted:

I would like it if the button causes Kirk to attempt to pound it and Spock to spout a pithy one liner over the childishness of the whole thing. DLC Bones to tell you after every head shot that "He's dead, Jim"

I would totally buy that DLC.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
Huh, I just read on Memory Alpha that the Gorn episode was the first time they ever make mention of the 'Federation,' 19 episodes in no less!

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

DrNutt posted:

Or better yet, the upgradeable cursing from 50 Cent: Blood and Sand

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Hot Sexy Jupiter posted:

Huh, I just read on Memory Alpha that the Gorn episode was the first time they ever make mention of the 'Federation,' 19 episodes in no less!
Early in the series, Starfleet wasn't a term yet. Instead the Enterprise was part of UESPA (United Earth Space Probe Agency), which sounded more like NASA and less like a galactic navy.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

FlamingLiberal posted:

Or better yet, the upgradeable cursing from 50 Cent: Blood and Sand

Yes! I want to spend my hard earned spacebux on "double dumbass" and "the hell I am."

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Hot Sexy Jupiter posted:

Pretty sure Kirk tries to avoid bringing it up so space ladies think he's top of the Human heirarchy.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

Early in the series, Starfleet wasn't a term yet. Instead the Enterprise was part of UESPA (United Earth Space Probe Agency), which sounded more like NASA and less like a galactic navy.

What exactly is Starfleet's official status anyway? I always felt like there was ambiguity over this, since on the one hand they try to make it sound like they're an exploration and research outfit, and yet on the hand they clearly fulfil the functions of a military force. Apparently all research ships, medical ships, warships etc fall under the same umbrella. How truly it must have sucked to be an exobotanist on some hapless Miranda peacefully sorting through alien plants one second only to have your ship vectored to Wolf 359 the next because hey buddy: we are one big happy (star)fleet!

Drunk in Space fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Mar 22, 2013

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Hot Sexy Jupiter posted:

What exactly is Starfleet's official status anyway? I always felt like there was ambiguity over this, since on the one hand they try to make it sound like they're an exploration and research outfit, and yet on the hand they clearly fulfil the functions of a military force. Apparently all research ships, medical ships, warships etc fall under the same umbrella. How truly it must have sucked to be an exobotanist on some hapless Miranda peacefully sorting through alien plants one second only to have your ship vectored to Wolf 359 the next because hey buddy: we are one big happy (star)fleet!

Eh, it sounds more like the Enterprise is in the military scouting wing of Starfleet, not a pure research vessel. I guess the best analogy is if the Royal Society was officially part of the Royal Navy, but still let people like Cook go out and scout the world (so the Royal Navy could then go in and colonize).

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

computer parts posted:

Eh, it sounds more like the Enterprise is in the military scouting wing of Starfleet, not a pure research vessel. I guess the best analogy is if the Royal Society was officially part of the Royal Navy, but still let people like Cook go out and scout the world (so the Royal Navy could then go in and colonize).

The Enterprise is like the Perry Expedition. It brings a message of diplomacy and peace, but is prepared to defend itself and the political interests it represents.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

BrandonGK posted:

I wonder if that was suppose to be an intentional callback to the ship battles in The Wrath of Khan.

It's because Abrams is a big Star Wars fan and Star Wars blasters go pew pew pew pew, not a single-beam fzzzzzzsh.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

FlamingLiberal posted:

When did they settle on the idea that the Enterprise represented not only a united humanity, but a united federation of multiple planets and species?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Barudak posted:

Pretty sure Kirk tries to avoid bringing it up so space ladies think he's top of the Human heirarchy.

The early episodes Bones was as big of a pimp as Kirk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Cingulate posted:

When did they settle on the idea that the Enterprise represented not only a united humanity, but a united federation of multiple planets and species?
Good question. Somewhere I have an old, out of print Gene Roddenberry bio that I need to read which covers the production of Star Trek.

• Locked thread