Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Manmower posted:

How does CrossFit compare to a program like p90x? p90x currently seems pretty convenient for me as I can do it at home, but the cardio seems a bit light. Currently supplementing it with lots of running on the side and it seems to do the trick. From what I've heard being able to run fast and often is the most useful skill in the military, but this advice is coming from folks who don't exactly look like they do a lot of cardio.

Also I drank skim milk growing up as a kid =P

P.S. Another vote for dumbbells, they are great.

Lift weights 3 times a week, do cardio 2 times a week. ~fitness~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

agentq
Dec 23, 2003
Frag out
Just started the Military Athlete Operator sessions with my 1SG this week. Pretty good so far. These work capacity workouts are brutal sometimes.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

agentq posted:

Just started the Military Athlete Operator sessions with my 1SG this week. Pretty good so far. These work capacity workouts are brutal sometimes.

Did they really just throw the word operator in there for shits and giggles?

Captain Amerikkka
Mar 14, 2013
Nah, they threw it in there to charge you 25 bucks a month for the program.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Manmower posted:

How does CrossFit compare to a program like p90x? p90x currently seems pretty convenient for me as I can do it at home, but the cardio seems a bit light. Currently supplementing it with lots of running on the side and it seems to do the trick. From what I've heard being able to run fast and often is the most useful skill in the military, but this advice is coming from folks who don't exactly look like they do a lot of cardio.

Also I drank skim milk growing up as a kid =P

P.S. Another vote for dumbbells, they are great.

Crossfit is vastly superior. People who do P90x consistently come up short is both smugness and elitism, and completely fail at turning their facebook page into a lovely advertisement full of poor grammar and spelling. Crossfit is really good for combining all these aspects into a cohesive package that nobody gives a poo poo about except your Crossfit bros.

Manmower
Feb 22, 2013
So CrossFit is more of a social outing, likely on par with a Yoga class with guidos. I just picked up p90x because some Navy folks mentioned it as a good tool and I have always been of the mindset that fitness programs are to get fit, rather than show off. I was lifting 3 times a week and running before this, so I think the fact that I do any exercise will give me a leg up. I like your delivery style Godholio =).

Someone mentioned to me being a level 1 CrossFit graduate, or something along those lines, and that putting it on their application showed the OCS board their high level of fitness.

Wow just scrolled back 4 pages and saw some nice GIFs and people ragging on CrossFit, guess the answer was already herein.

Manmower fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Mar 21, 2013

SneakySnake
Feb 5, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Whenever I try to do heavy DB exercises like bench or overhead press my left shoulder sometimes feels like it pops or something and I lose like all strength in the arm and have to drop the weight, does that happen to anyone else? I don't know if I'd say I'm double jointed but I'm naturally very flexible in my shoulders so maybe that plays a role?

Manmower
Feb 22, 2013
Maybe start with less weight. I wouldn't think you could do as much weight as you do with a barbell because you are using some muscles to stabilize you may not be accustomed to.

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

Manmower posted:

So CrossFit is more of a social outing, likely on par with a Yoga class with guidos. I just picked up p90x because some Navy folks mentioned it as a good tool and I have always been of the mindset that fitness programs are to get fit, rather than show off. I was lifting 3 times a week and running before this, so I think the fact that I do any exercise will give me a leg up. I like your delivery style Godholio =).

The only people who saids insanity or P90x is a good tool for fitness is people who don't work out/eat healthy to begin with. It's great if you're a couch potato, but not if you're in decent shape. Weight lifting and sprints is all a man needs.

I just rediscovered the row machine and remembered why I love it so much. That thing is amazing.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Kaliber posted:

The only people who saids insanity or P90x is a good tool for fitness is people who don't work out/eat healthy to begin with. It's great if you're a couch potato, but not if you're in decent shape. Weight lifting and sprints is all a man needs.

I just rediscovered the row machine and remembered why I love it so much. That thing is amazing.

This man knows what's up.

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

Anyone got a good pull up program? I want to be able to do a billion pull ups. Right now I can currently do about 20ish max (Palms in. Palms out about 16). When I add that into my work out, it's usually a AMRAP kinda work out. I gun for 15 reps for 5 sets. But it ends up being 15-10-6-4-2 with palms outwards. Started using the assisted pull up machine so I can get 10 good ones in per set but I don't know if that's hurting my pull ups or helping improve it.

EDIT: I only do pull ups once a week. I probably should start adding it in after I do my morning cardio.

Kaliber fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Mar 22, 2013

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Doing pullups/lat pulldowns with your palms out doesn't actually offer any training advantage in terms of muscle groups worked; it puts you at a mechanical disadvantage and that's it. I would just stick with palms in.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

psydude posted:

Doing pullups/lat pulldowns with your palms out doesn't actually offer any training advantage in terms of muscle groups worked; it puts you at a mechanical disadvantage and that's it. I would just stick with palms in.

Huh? I definitely feel it in my back more when I do palms-out and in my biceps more when I do palms in. Maybe my form is zany?

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Pullups "palms out" chinups "palms in"

pullups use shoulder adduction "or movement in" while chinups use shoulder extention.

chinups will use the bicep heavily since it's in the plane of motion and pullups work the lats a lot better.

So always do chinups so you can get a sweet bicep pump.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Otto Skorzeny posted:

Huh? I definitely feel it in my back more when I do palms-out and in my biceps more when I do palms in. Maybe my form is zany?

I think I phrased that poorly. As MurderBot pointed out, the difference is due to which muscle groups are bearing more of the load. Chinups will always be easier to do more of.

agentq
Dec 23, 2003
Frag out

psydude posted:

I guess so. It's actually a pretty challenging program. And free if your 1SG signs up for it and just asks you to do it with him.

http://militaryathlete.com/page.php?page_ID=49

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

psydude posted:

Just so everyone knows that website is loving legit and the work outs are brutal. The guy that runs it is all kinds of awesome too.

agentq
Dec 23, 2003
Frag out

FISTS CURE WOMEN posted:

Just so everyone knows that website is loving legit and the work outs are brutal. The guy that runs it is all kinds of awesome too.

The work capacity workouts he has you do are ridiculous.

And he sounds like a good guy from what my 1SG says. He's been doing it for over a year now.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Bottom position squats are the devil. Just so you all know that. They're awful.

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

Looking at old pics of my time in Germany and holy poo poo I was a fat body.

I was 174 in that first picture. 169 right now. Not much of a change weight wise. But my waist was 38 in the first pic. 31 now.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Did someone take a picture of you while you're pissing?

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

Yes. Someone took a picture of me pissing.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW
haha, i thought that was some sort of odd pose

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
You piss funny. Chest out man. Be proud of that stream.

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

You can't piss straight when it's a hang over piss from booze infused marathon raving in some abandoned warehouse in Bulgaria where the locals who never seen Americans or foreigners in their bumfuck town. (Went to Bulgaria to party at my ex wife's village. It was epic. Went with a group of friends and one dude disappeared for 5days. We were about to ditch him and fly home without him.)

Kaliber fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Mar 23, 2013

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I bet most everyone on GiP has a picture of themselves pissing somewhere overseas.

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

holocaust bloopers posted:

I bet most everyone on GiP has a picture of themselves pissing somewhere overseas.

I cut out the dead bodies of hookers I raped and killed that I was peeing on.

Captain Amerikkka
Mar 14, 2013

Kaliber posted:

Looking at old pics of my time in Germany and holy poo poo I was a fat body.

I was 174 in that first picture. 169 right now. Not much of a change weight wise. But my waist was 38 in the first pic. 31 now.

You look more or less identical in those pictures, they're two totally different postures so it's tough to compare but I have a really hard time believing there's a seven inch difference in your waist there. Who's measuring your waist/how are you measuring your waist? Are you doing the inaccurate Army "waist" measurement across your navel?

WP CURES PALESTINE
Jun 17, 2011
[ASK] ME about :

LYING ABOUT BEING A US MARINE

HATING ON TRANSPEOPLE BUT SECRETLY DATING ONE

CLAIMING TO HAVE PTSD ON MY OKCUPID PROFILE

HAVING A TRIFORCE TATTOO ON MY NECK

Captain Amerikkka posted:

You look more or less identical in those pictures, they're two totally different postures so it's tough to compare but I have a really hard time believing there's a seven inch difference in your waist there. Who's measuring your waist/how are you measuring your waist? Are you doing the inaccurate Army "waist" measurement across your navel?

Hey... This is Kaliber man. gently caress off.

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

left is deployment after I dropped about 30 pounds. Still a fat body. Right is burry as poo poo, but it was after my deployment R&R weighing in at exactly the same weight, about 170. You can tell the difference in waist/cut. I don't really have any pictures of myself shirtless prior to that, because I deleted every single one of them.

When I first arrived in Germany I wore medium pants with the top button undone for a little bit. Now small is just a tad too tight, but mediums is way too loose.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Kaliber fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Mar 29, 2013

heyfresh888
Feb 8, 2010
I'm currently on a fitness program getting ready for SFRE and SFAS. It's pretty basic.

I ramped up over 3 weeks increasing exercises by 25% each week.

My current program.

2 mile run: 6 minute pace
10 to 1 pull ups and back up to 10, 30 second breaks between sets and a 1 second slack hang on the down.
50 sit ups / 50 push ups 30 second break x 4
2 mile run: 6 minute pace
2000 yard swim free style or CSS, I prefer free style.

Twice a week I replace the swim with a 12 mile 55 lbs ruck back home from the gym at a 12 minute/mile pace.

I'm on a fairly strict diet as well, I do this work out 6 days a week with a soft swim and stretch day on my 7th.

I'll say my starting point was already a 300+ on the APFT 27-31 scale, but my conditioning and recover time is mostly what I'm concerned with. I'm CAANG so I do all of this at a civilian gym/setting. Hoping to go 18D. I've never done crossfit or anything similar so I'm not sure how it compares.

edit: I guess I should include my body stats:

Height 76 inches
Weight 201 pounds

heyfresh888 fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Mar 29, 2013

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

You sound pretty good to go with stats like that.

LEGIT WAR CRIMINAL
Aug 29, 2008

by XyloJW
You one tall dude.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

heyfresh888 posted:

Height 76 inches
Weight 201 pounds

You are one skinny individual.

heyfresh888
Feb 8, 2010

psydude posted:

You are one skinny individual.

Not really. I feel I'm proportional. Bulking up would only hinder me. I don't think gaining muscle mass would benefit me in any way in terms of over all conditioning and physical performance. It would only be an aesthetic change.

Captain Amerikkka
Mar 14, 2013
HOW MUCH CAN YOU BENCH AND HOW MUCH CAN YOU SQUAT? IF THE ANSWER IS LESS THAN 400 LBS ON EITHER YOU GOT SOME WORK TO DO BRO. YOU AIN'T READY FOR poo poo.

edit: Shouldn't have doubted you Kaliber, in that first side-by-side comparison I couldn't see seven inches of waist difference. The second side-by-side there is a huge difference.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

heyfresh888 posted:

Not really. I feel I'm proportional. Bulking up would only hinder me. I don't think gaining muscle mass would benefit me in any way in terms of over all conditioning and physical performance. It would only be an aesthetic change.

There's bulking for vanity and there's building muscle mass for injury prevention. Doing some strength training for the latter can't hurt; I believe iceslice specifically recommended it but I may be wrong.

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.
If you're posting those numbers and ruck times 6 weeks out, you're going to kick the crap out of the sfre, dude.

heyfresh888
Feb 8, 2010

elite_garbage_man posted:

If you're posting those numbers and ruck times 6 weeks out, you're going to kick the crap out of the sfre, dude.

I was originally going to try for a CAG packet but, its impossible to get my E5 in the CAANG currently, even though I was 798 points for combat medic promotion on my first active duty enlistment. So far the National Guard has proved to be a nightmare to get squared away with a physical and any sort of paperwork that isn't done by yourself.

All I want to do is commit. I may try and go active duty if I'm select, but I'm crossing one bridge at a time so SFRE is my current goal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.
Best of luck. You're trying for the unit in Cali correct?