Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I swear to god, I could listen to Event Horizon over and over again. And in fact, I'm doing just that right now!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtyW3mEYF08

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Mar 9, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Lift Your Little Paws Like Antennas to Heaven!

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I swear to god, I could listen to Event Horizon over and over again. And in fact, I'm doing just that right now!

Good course of action.

Recently I've been getting more into lyrical post-rock. Which isn't to say I wasn't before; Sigur Rós and Under Byen have long been favorites of mine. Efterklang's early work is arguably post rock, and I love it. Recently mentioned were iamthemorning who are also incredible. Lavinia was fun for a bit but they don't have a lot of music so I got tired of them fairly quickly (The fact that I've listened to Marriage's Kitsune more that a hundred times notwithstanding). Laura of Australia occasionally use lyrics but I'd hesitate to call it lyrical post-rock because the voice is often drowned (like The Pirate Ship Quintet) or just used in songs that aren't really post-rock while Laura of Norway are only on the edge of post-rock and only released one EP before disbanding. Well I've name dropped seven bands that you could call lyrical. Long story short, it's hard to find lyrical post-rock. I'd love to hear about more bands, especially with female singers.

Edit: Forgot about Midas Fall.

Cymbal Monkey fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Mar 10, 2013

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Cymbal Monkey posted:

I'd love to hear about more bands, especially with female singers.

It's sort of hard, since I always associate post rock with being instrumental, so at some point I have no idea where the line between post-rock and, uh, regular rock is. But I'm still going to attempt to recommend stuff, even if it may or may not fall into the purview of post-rock.

Rokkurro is a band from Iceland and has shades of Sigur Ros in it. It's pretty much what you expect music from Iceland to sound like, being really tender with a touch of melancholy, probably because they're from a land with no sun. You can get their albums from here: http://www.gogoyoko.com/artist/rokkurro and here's a youtube of them: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B39h3WFFjfo

Matryoshka is a band from Tokyo, and is likewise more of a tender sound. It straddles the line with post-rock, but outputs some undeniably beautiful music. Their albums, Laideronnette and Zetracenie, are available on Amazon. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_q7LtFqdgM

Aaaand that seems to exhaust my list.

Edit: Was reminded that Immanu El has lyrics as well.

GrandpaPants fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Mar 10, 2013

SineRider
Oct 10, 2012

Come on die young

Cymbal Monkey posted:

Good course of action.

Recently I've been getting more into lyrical post-rock. Which isn't to say I wasn't before; Sigur Rós and Under Byen have long been favorites of mine. Efterklang's early work is arguably post rock, and I love it. Recently mentioned were iamthemorning who are also incredible. Lavinia was fun for a bit but they don't have a lot of music so I got tired of them fairly quickly (The fact that I've listened to Marriage's Kitsune more that a hundred times notwithstanding). Laura of Australia occasionally use lyrics but I'd hesitate to call it lyrical post-rock because the voice is often drowned (like The Pirate Ship Quintet) or just used in songs that aren't really post-rock while Laura of Norway are only on the edge of post-rock and only released one EP before disbanding. Well I've name dropped seven bands that you could call lyrical. Long story short, it's hard to find lyrical post-rock. I'd love to hear about more bands, especially with female singers.

I always enjoy post-rock type music with vocals. I'll have to check out some of those.

Ef is one that comes to mind to me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcsTYZ6mMuQ

also Youth Pictures of Florence Henderson has that post-rock vibe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaBe_cvDkYo

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

If you check out Under Byen I recommend starting with Samme Stof Som Stof. It's one of my absolute favorite albums.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxx5cKAJ5fQ

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Thanks for this, listening and enjoying right now.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
Don't get mad at me, but Edge Party reminds me of God Is An Astronaut but with subtlety and development.

As for lyrical post rock: *shels, *shels and then some more *shels. Eksi Ekso. Gifts from Enola has some lyrical stuff which I don't really care for. Hammock. Latitudes which we discussed earlier in this thread. Tulsa Drone has some lyrical tracks.

e: It appears that Eksi Ekso has become an electro pop band. That's weird. Their first album is pretty good.

e: Oh and Marriages - Kitsune if you missed that one

chunkles fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Mar 10, 2013

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

chunkles posted:

Don't get mad at me, but Edge Party reminds me of God Is An Astronaut but with subtlety and development.

As for lyrical post rock: *shels, *shels and then some more *shels. Eksi Ekso. Gifts from Enola has some lyrical stuff which I don't really care for. Hammock. Latitudes which we discussed earlier in this thread. Tulsa Drone has some lyrical tracks.

e: It appears that Eksi Ekso has become an electro pop band. That's weird. Their first album is pretty good.

e: Oh and Marriages - Kitsune if you missed that one

I absolutely agree with your comment about Edge Party. When I first got into post rock I really like God Is An Astronaut and Gifts from Enola, but yeah, I've gotten over both for pretty much the same reason.

Additionally, I would never miss Kitsune or any Emma Ruth Rundle project.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE
Ghastly City Sleep sounds like post-rock with vocals to me, with maybe more emphasis on the post-rock part on their first album. There's also Gregor Samsa.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Parachute Underwear posted:

Ghastly City Sleep sounds like post-rock with vocals to me, with maybe more emphasis on the post-rock part on their first album. There's also Gregor Samsa.

I haven't listened to Ghastly City Sleep yet but where has Gregor Samsa been all my life?

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Holy Jesus Christ, this show next month in Austin is gonna be the greatest show I've ever seen, right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyxdUdc45zs&t=765s

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

89 posted:

Holy Jesus Christ, this show next month in Austin is gonna be the greatest show I've ever seen, right?

Yes. That is exactly what it will be. I'm going to see them at least three times on this tour.

A LOVELY LAD
Feb 8, 2006

Hey man, wanna hear a secret?

College Slice

Cymbal Monkey posted:

Good course of action.

Edit: Forgot about Midas Fall.

Its not reaaaaaly post rock but I think the guitar work is very kinda math post rocky but lets buy happiness are p coo'.

http://letsbuyhappiness.bandcamp.com/album/six-wolves

Is anyone going to dunk festival? I only just heard about it and maybe its a bit late to buy a flight to belgium..

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

89 posted:

A friend of mine has one of Jonsi's broken bows from when he saw them in the UK. I am super jealous of that guy.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

A Poor Man's Memory - Schiene

Guess which band they are influenced by!

Also Sleep Dealer holy poo poo

chunkles fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Mar 18, 2013

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
Who wants to listen to a new Sigur Ros song?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oc6zXSdYXm8

Seeing these guys twice in a April and I'm just counting the minutes.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I don't know if this fits in as post rock but I love post rock and I dig this and the structure is pretty similar even if it's a little darker?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efsUakRY2IQ

Thought some of you might dig it.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

-Atom- posted:

Who wants to listen to a new Sigur Ros song?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oc6zXSdYXm8

Seeing these guys twice in a April and I'm just counting the minutes.

Yesssssss. After hearing this I have high hopes for their new album. I really didn't Valtari; I can appreciate what they were going for with it, but I just didn't like it. This sounds more like a return to their earlier works which I like a lot more, but still a bit different.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

The Black Stones posted:

Yesssssss. After hearing this I have high hopes for their new album. I really didn't Valtari; I can appreciate what they were going for with it, but I just didn't like it. This sounds more like a return to their earlier works which I like a lot more, but still a bit different.

I'm listening to the rest of that EP right now and I'm completely :allears:. It's both a harder and softer sound than they've been doing. It's like they go from the absolute peak of energy previously found only in Í Gćr and then drop into ambient and almost Allelujah! Don't Bend Ascend-esque drones. What I'm saying is basically I have reason to believe Sigur Rós is and will always be the best band.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I'm a ticketholder for the current tour, and when I tried to download the EP earlier today, I entered all my info and was then taken to a download page that said something to the effect of "Your download will start shortly. Do not close this window.", which proceeded to never start downloading.

Then when I tried the page again, it said my download had already been redeemed :negative:

Though since it was free to ticketholders, I guess it wouldn't be wrong for me to grab it off a :filez: site, right? Since my official free download didn't work.

Cymbal Monkey posted:

I'm listening to the rest of that EP right now and I'm completely :allears:. It's both a harder and softer sound than they've been doing. It's like they go from the absolute peak of energy previously found only in Í Gćr and then drop into ambient and almost Allelujah! Don't Bend Ascend-esque drones. What I'm saying is basically I have reason to believe Sigur Rós is and will always be the best band.

Ughhhh, I have to hear this.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

I'm a ticketholder for the current tour, and when I tried to download the EP earlier today, I entered all my info and was then taken to a download page that said something to the effect of "Your download will start shortly. Do not close this window.", which proceeded to never start downloading.

Then when I tried the page again, it said my download had already been redeemed :negative:

Though since it was free to ticketholders, I guess it wouldn't be wrong for me to grab it off a :filez: site, right? Since my official free download didn't work.

I emailed them about it and they reset my code and told me to turn off my popup blocking and it worked. It was really easy to get sorted out.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Brennisteinn is...not what I was expecting at all, but really loving good :stare:

That's not the direction I was expecting them to take. Honestly, I don't know what I was expecting. But that's a really, really good one to take. God drat.

I'm seeing them in April too! And I'm beyond stoked.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Brennisteinn is...not what I was expecting at all, but really loving good :stare:

That's not the direction I was expecting them to take. Honestly, I don't know what I was expecting. But that's a really, really good one to take. God drat.

I'm seeing them in April too! And I'm beyond stoked.

Well it's once again the same band that created Von. They've basically taken Von and added volume.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Cymbal Monkey posted:

Well it's once again the same band that created Von. They've basically taken Von and added volume.

Von was poo poo. This is not. :colbert:

(I should probably add that I'm a big fan of both ambient music and Sigur Ros' entire catalog...except for Von. I've just never been able to get through that album without disliking it.)

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
Speaking of Sigur Rós,

Sigur Rós posted:

NEW ALBUM KVEIKUR RELEASED WORLDWIDE JUNE 17/18

we are happy to announce that our new album kveikur will be released worldwide on june 17th (18th in north america). the self-produced album contains nine tracks and is our first as a trio. you can now pre-order it at https://www.sigur-ros.co.uk/kveikur (but please note that a pre-order of a kveikur deluxe edition is yet to come).

BRENNISTEINN VIDEO

today we have premiered the video for new track brennisteinn, taken from the new album. the video, directed by andrew huang, is available to watch now on https://www.sigur-ros.co.uk/brennisteinn.

New tour dates too.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
Re: Sigur Ros:

I started listening to them shortly after Takk, never really got into them except for Agaetis Byrjun.

Would I enjoy this new release? (Or any prior ones that I've missed, for that matter.)

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
I am in the same boat, I never really liked *everything* they put out. Agaetis byrjun and Valtari are my favourites, so try Valtari. I also like the odd song off their other albums (Popplagiđ and Samskeyti are the two that come to mind straight away). Dunno about the new release, Brennisteinn is interesting though.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

On the Sigur Ros topic: they're the musical guest on Jimmy Fallon tonight. They'll play in about an hour and 15 minutes, for any of you who can watch. If you don't get to see it, there will be video up tomorrow anyway.

They said they're playing a new song that isn't Brennisteinn.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

"Musical Guest: Seeger Ross"

:haw:

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Aww man I hope this basketball game ends soon.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

They're playing the title track (Kveikur) on Fallon. Sounds very Sigur Ros-y and excellent so far!

They also have a full string section backing them.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

That was pretty good.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
I bought 4 tickets to the Sigur Ros show in Austin in a couple of weeks and I haven't gotten my download of the new EP :(

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

89 posted:

I bought 4 tickets to the Sigur Ros show in Austin in a couple of weeks and I haven't gotten my download of the new EP :(

Send an email to where you got your tickets. Emails solve every problem.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Well I guess My Education released two albums while I wasn't looking. Post-rock bands really do love to just throw stuff out without telling anyone...

I thought Bad Vibrations was kind of a letdown compared to Italian, which is a goddamn masterpiece. I haven't listened to Sunrise yet, but the newest one, A Drink For All My Friends, is loving amazing. It gets significantly heavier than they ever were before, to the point of being in the Russian Circles ballpark. The title track is the tits.

Mogwai's soundtrack to Les Revenants is pretty good. Better than their Zidane soundtrack, not as good as their proper albums.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Speaking of bands that released poo poo behind my back, pg.lost released a split with Wang Wen. It's just one twenty minute long song split into two parts. It's a very fun track with a western kind of feel. I haven't listened to the Wang Wen yet.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps

Cymbal Monkey posted:

Send an email to where you got your tickets. Emails solve every problem.
It's ticketmaster customer support, so I dunno.

On a different note, other than that one post in this thread, I can't find any information on the net about anybody else listening to that EP already.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

precision posted:

Well I guess My Education released two albums while I wasn't looking. Post-rock bands really do love to just throw stuff out without telling anyone...

This is really, really good.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's the best post-rock I've heard in a really long time. Gonna give Sunrise a listen now and see if it's anywhere close.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoG
Jul 13, 2004
Watching Caspian tune up right now, standing knees against the stage. Haven't seen them before. Should be an experience.

Native was pretty drat good, I must say.