Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

If you know any friends with a soldering iron and insulation tape (heat-shrink is better) you can fix it yourself in like 5 minutes. I've already had to repair a set of speaker cables and a telephone cord when Peanut and Snoopy snuck into the study.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rodent Mortician
Mar 17, 2009

SQUEAK.

NancyPants posted:

I really need Gordon Freeman to stop chewing carpet. Is getting her a rug to munch of her own just going to further enforce the idea that what she's doing is fine, or is it a lost cause and just consider it Kevlar for the floor?

I forget which store has these, but I think maybe World Market had rug panels made out of sisal or something that wasn't dangerous for them to eat and were also fairly cheap. I know several bun owners that essentially just carpeted a room with them and replaced the damaged panels as they got bare.

Pardalis
Dec 26, 2008

The Amazing Dreadheaded Chameleon Keeper
An acquaintance dumped this half German Angora half French Angora on me because she couldn't move to an apartment with her. I'm trying not to really like this rabbit and am going to find her a home through the yarn shop I frequent. She is a character. Her name is Cricket and she binkies whenever she sees people.

(don't mind the cords in this one, I was sitting right there and chased her away after I took this shot. She only is out like that totally supervised and those are the only cords around)

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

Keep the rabbit. Keeeeeep it.

Pardalis
Dec 26, 2008

The Amazing Dreadheaded Chameleon Keeper
She is very sweet but the last thing I need is another rabbit, let alone one with such high maintenance grooming requirements.

I am in the Portland area if any of you are up to it, otherwise she is going to make some yarn lady very, very happy.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

If I had a rabbit that binkies whenever it sees people, I'd look for a different fuckin apartment. Roofs are a dime a dozen. Rabbits are bastards.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
ITS SO FLUFFY!!

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

This is pretty much what I use for laptop cord protection, the link shows 1 inch but I've found 3/8 inch in store and its just about the perfect size. http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/202275962?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=cord+tubing&storeId=10051&N=25ecodZ5yc1v&R=202275962#.UT-yB1eoCuk

Of course given enough opportunity that stuff seems to be pretty appealing for chewing as well, but it prevents instant access to the cord itself.

My bunnies were also carpet wrecking monsters in my last place, but this time all the accessible areas of the bunny room have low pile (thin) rugs covering everything. The strands are apparently short enough that it's either too difficult to destroy, or just not as fun. I use $20 5 x 7 rugs from Walmart, cheap enough that even if they were to get damaged it's no big loss.

The337th fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Mar 13, 2013

happyflurple
Oct 31, 2006

NancyPants posted:

If I had a rabbit that binkies whenever it sees people, I'd look for a different fuckin apartment. Roofs are a dime a dozen. Rabbits are bastards.

Haha aye, I can't imagine having a rabbit that friendly. I just got grunted at because I moved to pour myself a drink after Her Majesty had decided to bunny flop onto my bed. And then I get the treat packet out and she's my bestest friend again :argh:

We had a bit of a falling out earlier because she snipped through my housemate's phone charger which I had considered secure. His response was 'You know rabbits can jump, right?'. Ordered him a new one anyway. Roughly how high CAN the buggers jump, out of interest?

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

happyflurple posted:

Haha aye, I can't imagine having a rabbit that friendly. I just got grunted at because I moved to pour myself a drink after Her Majesty had decided to bunny flop onto my bed. And then I get the treat packet out and she's my bestest friend again :argh:

We had a bit of a falling out earlier because she snipped through my housemate's phone charger which I had considered secure. His response was 'You know rabbits can jump, right?'. Ordered him a new one anyway. Roughly how high CAN the buggers jump, out of interest?

Button's jumped up into my daughter's lap while she was sitting in a recliner, so at least that high.

Inspired by "Spring Break" I've also decided to try to teach Button a trick or two. Starting with getting her to stand up, we just dangle some cilantro over her and that's about what it takes to get her to do it. So far we're just getting her to associate it with "up" and plan to just go from there. She still hates me. However, she only hates me specifically and likes my wife and daughter. I love our bunny. :)

RICKON WALNUTSBANE
Jun 13, 2001

Pardalis posted:

She is very sweet but the last thing I need is another rabbit, let alone one with such high maintenance grooming requirements.

I am in the Portland area if any of you are up to it, otherwise she is going to make some yarn lady very, very happy.

If you could get her to Florida I would take her :(

Maintenance ain't a thang when they have a sweet disposition. Grooming my first bun was so relaxing.

edit: Her coat looks to be on the silky side meaning she'd be even easier to groom than Lewis. I want dat bun :cry:

RICKON WALNUTSBANE fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Mar 14, 2013

happyflurple
Oct 31, 2006

ManiacClown posted:

Button's jumped up into my daughter's lap while she was sitting in a recliner, so at least that high.

Inspired by "Spring Break" I've also decided to try to teach Button a trick or two. Starting with getting her to stand up, we just dangle some cilantro over her and that's about what it takes to get her to do it. So far we're just getting her to associate it with "up" and plan to just go from there. She still hates me. However, she only hates me specifically and likes my wife and daughter. I love our bunny. :)

Things are not looking good for my stuff, in that case. I'm slightly disadvantaged by only being a touch over 5ft so I can't put stuff too high or my freaky T-Rex arms can't reach em.

Trying to get Juppo to stand on command too, though she only sort of seems to get it at the moment. She hates everyone equally, can't stand my housemates or my missus, all of whom have to feed her when I'm away :D

She has decided to come and groom herself on my bed. Yay. I am pretty sure I am going to wake up actually resembling a rabbit-woman one day soon, the haaaaaaiiiirrr.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades
Just realized I forgot to come back with updates!

Cilantro saw the vet last Thursday afternoon and was prescribed a series of Penicillin G shots, 21 days of Baytril, and some meloxicam to help with any pain she might be feeling.

Her 4th Penicillin G shot is on the 18th and the final shot is on the 21st. The final shot will be accompanied by a follow-up checkup with her usual bunny vet who will be back from NZ.

The softness on her jaw is gone, so we think the Baytril/Penicillin G combo knocked it out pretty quickly. She has been eating weirdly, like eating half her plate immediately then finishing it 2 hours later, but she hasn't stopped eating or pooping so I'm just keeping an eye on her.

Total cost so far for the initial visit and meds: $138. That's practically free in bunny-dollars, right?

Edit: pics are good right?

Chilling in her room

Ready? Set!

Flop yawn!

Back to chilling.

Bonus pic: Close up of pre-flop yawn. You can tell she has no incisors in this pic.

pseudonordic fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Mar 16, 2013

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
edit /\/\Hell yes pictures are good. In fact, your bun looks a little swollen there. Might be an early sign of Bunny Explosion Syndrome. The only cure is to post more pictures on the internet./\/\

The337th posted:

This is pretty much what I use for laptop cord protection, the link shows 1 inch but I've found 3/8 inch in store and its just about the perfect size. http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/202275962?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=cord+tubing&storeId=10051&N=25ecodZ5yc1v&R=202275962#.UT-yB1eoCuk

This is brilliant. You are brilliant. Coloquially known as Wire Guide to cable splicers (which my dad was), this stuff is PERFECT. Ella pretty much has the run of the room, and most other cables are out of her reach. But since the laptop lives on my bed, and the bed is in my room, and Ella has free range... You know how that goes. This stuff is great though. A few minutes to work it on to the cable, a bit of electrical tape, and it's much sturdier and bunny-proof.

I'm gonna see if I cant whip up some kind of wax-based bad-taste stuff with the blocks of carnuba wax my sister left around from her candle and soap making. What tastes terrible but has little smell (and hopefully is not an irritant or poisonous

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Mar 16, 2013

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

Unless you're coating everything in your house with horse tranquillizers it's not going to do much!!

pseudonordic posted:

Bonus pic: Close up of pre-flop yawn. You can tell she has no incisors in this pic.

Ohhhh my god, I know it's wrong to prefer this, but this way it actually looks cute when they yawn and not terrifying at all! Cuuuute!

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

DS at Night posted:

Unless you're coating everything in your house with horse tranquillizers it's not going to do much!!

Ohhhh my god, I know it's wrong to prefer this, but this way it actually looks cute when they yawn and not terrifying at all! Cuuuute!

It's horrible and sad that we had to remove her teeth because of the infection, but god drat is it nice to not have to bunny proof every last loving thing in the house.

happyflurple
Oct 31, 2006

Aye, can imagine! Sometimes wish I could feasibly get Juppo rubber-edged teeth :(

I made her a toy today, just stuffed some treats and hay into a toilet roll and then suspended it with a string from the top of her cage.

I jumped back onto my bed and lay down facing her cage, anticipating some sort of idyllic scene where she would bat at it playfully and become engrossed in freeing the captive treats while I looked on lovingly. In reality, she grunted at it once, and then turned right round to face me, hunkered down, and stared at me until I went back to playing PS3.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
God-loving-Dammit Harriet. When I describe you as 90% fur, 10% evil, it is not meant to be taken literally.

I was sitting on my couch perusing netflix, and she hops up next to me. She's all cuddly, then she decides that the couch is her new litterbox and pees all loving over it. Goddamit!

Hana Dammit
Nov 29, 2004

Punch-drunk tears of a clone.
xx

Hana Dammit fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Feb 16, 2017

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.
Does dog have donation fund?

Hana Dammit
Nov 29, 2004

xx

Hana Dammit fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Feb 16, 2017

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

So most bunny owners don't have to deal with their rabbits getting head tilt.

I get to deal with both of my rabbits having head tilt. Bitsy had it last year and Paterson has just developed it. Luckily I caught it early, got really good meds for him, and he is happy to just lay around - unlike Bitsy who is all over the place.

I'm not looking forward to the next two weeks :(

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

luscious posted:

I get to deal with both of my rabbits having head tilt. Bitsy had it last year and Paterson has just developed it. Luckily I caught it early, got really good meds for him, and he is happy to just lay around - unlike Bitsy who is all over the place.

Poor Paterson! And poor you! Sending healthy bunny thoughts your way!

happyflurple
Oct 31, 2006

Hugs to bunny <3

Mine just attacked my housemate. He's looking after her for the next week. I don't see this ending well.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Anybody know a good way to get bunny pee out of upholstery

Hana Dammit
Nov 29, 2004

xx

Hana Dammit fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Feb 16, 2017

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

bunnyofdoom posted:

Anybody know a good way to get bunny pee out of upholstery
There's some anti-urine things they sell at pet stores that I really like. You just soak the spot and then scrub it.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Giving Paterson his meds has been easier than I thought that it would be. It is obvious that he is a bit ~off~ since he isn't being quite as aggro when I am restraining him.

His laziness is making this a lot easier. Bitsy constantly had to patrol her queendom and would flip around while trying to walk from place to place. Paterson just lays in a tube happily. It is nice because Bitsy is also happy to groom him and take care of him. However! yesterday I was telling my friend how good she was being at taking care of him and next thing I know, she's humping him. Bad Bitsy!

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Hana Dammit posted:

Diluted white vinegar? Its what I use to cleane everything and it always seems to do the trick. Like, if it's crazy bad, maybe throw some club soda on there first and let that soak a while then hit that poo poo with the white vinegar.

Butter lovin's

sorry to hear about Pat, lucious. We lost my first bun to head tilt and it was just heartbreaking.

This thread turned into drugged bunnies a lot later than I'd have thought.

happyflurple
Oct 31, 2006

Saint Darwin posted:

This thread turned into drugged bunnies a lot later than I'd have thought.

Drugged out bunnies are the best. I obviously don't give Juppo drugs or smoke near her but whenever I'm high she seems to sense it and will happily flop down next to me on the bed and snuggle. There is nothing better than stoned bunny cuddles.

Speaking of which, I rolled a cigarette in here earlier and went outside to smoke it. Put it to my mouth and BOOM, bunny hair to the face.

HOW?!

Hana Dammit
Nov 29, 2004

xx

Hana Dammit fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Feb 16, 2017

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Hana Dammit posted:

Can rabbits be bathed? I'm assuming this isn't a thing they enjoy, does anyone have any tips?

Generally baths are only if absolutely necessary, since they tend to hate it. It's also tough for rabbit fur to dry out after getting soaking wet, a precaution if you do need to. I'm not sure how well it would work for that ointment, but dustbaths with cornstarch powder are recommended in place of normal baths.

You can find more here: http://rabbit.org/faq-grooming/

The337th fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Mar 26, 2013

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

luscious posted:

I hope he gets better! We lost our Sascha face to head tilt/whatever the hell caused it. It always scares me when the other two idiots cock their heads to look at me. Im all "STRAIGHTEN UP rear end in a top hat!!"

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Thanks for the well wishes. He's not rolling yet but I bought gravol and am going to start giving it to him tonight when he gets his medicine. I'm going to have to trim his butt hair too since it's all dookied up all the time. Anyone have any advice on this?

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

Yeah, get a friend to help you. He's not going to be graceful about a butt trim. Trust me on that, Billy grows a big hula skirt of hair every few months.

Oh and mind the tail :v:

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

luscious posted:

Thanks for the well wishes. He's not rolling yet but I bought gravol and am going to start giving it to him tonight when he gets his medicine. I'm going to have to trim his butt hair too since it's all dookied up all the time. Anyone have any advice on this?

We had Sascha on panacur first and it cleared up, when it came back the next year we hit it with antibiotics because the vet thoght it may be an ear infection, which didnt do much, then we did a massive dose of panacur before we lost her. Our vet recommended getting pedialyte and making sure she had a way to drink it easily. We ended up pouring it into the cap and holding it for her to drink from whenever she wanted it. Be careful though because when their head is tilted too far they can aspirate it.

Good luck again! I hope he comes out alright. Poor little bun bun.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

I was actually looking at Pedialyte today. Is there too much sugar in it though? I don't think that he will actually understand how to do that so I'm just keeping extra wet herbs and giving him water in a syringe every time I medicine him.

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

What fun is a project if it doesn't at least slightly ruin your life?
This is something everyone needs to see:

It loops so perfectly!

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

Snoopy and Peanut haven't pooped since around noon today (now 18:00). I don't think they've eaten anything stupid, but you never really know. Do we wait till tomorrow morning to declare panic stations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyflurple
Oct 31, 2006

Deceptor101 posted:

This is something everyone needs to see:

It loops so perfectly!

That is adorably hypnotic. That's the greeting I'd get every time I went to see my mate when he had his first rabbit. That drat creature fell in love with me, it was like having my own fluffy lop eared satellite.

Also! Juppo is grooming me! She's sat here licking my sleeve and arm, I actually got a bit teary what the gently caress rabbit seriously. I feel so accepted :3: