Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phosphia
Jan 29, 2013

Oh you.. :>
Level together with 1 or two other people, leave outlaw on and stay in channel 1.

Leveling will take a little longer, but it's a lot more fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Will do on the PvP set for my Berserker. As for leveling, well...does anyone have an alt waiting around in Fey Forest they'd like to grind up with a guild member? :v:

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

Whoa, wait, what? Lancers have a weapon that's skinned out as a sword? This changes everything for me.
It's a costume from the cash shop, just under :10bux: for a permanent version.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Tensokuu posted:

Hopefully someone can help tell me what I screwed up.

I used the optomizaiton guide from pastebin linked earlier in the thread and grabbed the AA injector to use. I've got an NVidia card and while the game runs fine, I'm having weird issues in cutscenes and main menus as seen here:
I've gone back a few pages and can't find it - could you link me to the optimisation guide? I'd fancy making my Tera a little prettier. What changes does it make anyway?

Eigo
Mar 21, 2010
dopewizard I was a terrible person and accepted when we were full so your app cancelled, re-apply again!

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Question Mark Mound posted:

I've gone back a few pages and can't find it - could you link me to the optimisation guide? I'd fancy making my Tera a little prettier. What changes does it make anyway?

Pretty sure this was the pastebin: http://pastebin.com/aZUCF9hh

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Pretty sure this was the pastebin: http://pastebin.com/aZUCF9hh
Awesome, thanks!

Seems like it's mostly there to disable blurring, which I've noticed very little of in the game anyway. :/

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Question Mark Mound posted:

Awesome, thanks!

Seems like it's mostly there to disable blurring, which I've noticed very little of in the game anyway. :/

http://tera-forums.enmasse.com/forums/general-discussion/topics/ini-tweaks-and-performance-guide

You could try some of the stuff from this thread. I've screwed around with a lot of these, and also used third-party software on top of it (RadeonPro for AMD, NVInspector if you you use nVidia). I'm no 3D graphic artist or game rendering designer though, so I couldn't tell you what properties make more of a difference than others, there are just way too many to keep track of.

e: Typos.

e2: There was actually a better thread I was looking for, just found it. http://tera-forums.enmasse.com/forums/general-discussion/topics/FPS-Problems-Tweaks-Collections

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Mar 24, 2013

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

http://tera-forums.enmasse.com/forums/general-discussion/topics/ini-tweaks-and-performance-guide

You could try some of the stuff from this thread. I've screwed around with a lot of these, and also used third-party software on top of it (RadeonPro for AMD, NVInspector if you you use nVidia). I'm no 3D graphic artist or game rendering designer though, so I couldn't tell you what properties make more of a difference than others, there are just way too many to keep track of.

e: Typos.

e2: There was actually a better thread I was looking for, just found it. http://tera-forums.enmasse.com/forums/general-discussion/topics/FPS-Problems-Tweaks-Collections
Cheers, I'll have a wee look into those.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
That SMAA injector stopped working for me a while ago, but if you've got a recent generation video card enabling FXAA override for Tera's program in your video driver control panel you get the best visual results for a minimal performance hit in my book. Tera's UE3 engine is extremely CPU-bound despite what you'd expect from the visual quality, that's why FPS drops so low so often even when it doesn't seem to make sense.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I've been trying this the past two days, and yeah the combat is kinda fun, but it gets old really fast, specially when the quest are so goddamn terrible. I know people always say that mmos are just "kill 10 wolves" but this is ridiculous!

Is the instanced pve any good? I'm just looking for a game with good, solid dungeons. Like wow, only subscription-free!

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Instanced PVE owns hard.

Just an example (ok it's probably the best dungeon in TERA there is; video not mine):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTC4nsDyhsM

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Hugoon Chavez posted:

I've been trying this the past two days, and yeah the combat is kinda fun, but it gets old really fast, specially when the quest are so goddamn terrible. I know people always say that mmos are just "kill 10 wolves" but this is ridiculous!

Is the instanced pve any good? I'm just looking for a game with good, solid dungeons. Like wow, only subscription-free!
See the video above. Also check The Secret World thread, TSW has fantastic dungeons.

Totalizator
Nov 9, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Questing never really gets much better outside of story quests, but the dungeons are top notch and easily matching/outclassing wow. The only thing i'm missing compared to wow is voice acting, but considering how bad it can get in this game at times maybe its for the better.

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.

Totalizator posted:

Questing never really gets much better outside of story quests, but the dungeons are top notch and easily matching/outclassing wow. The only thing i'm missing compared to wow is voice acting, but considering how bad it can get in this game at times maybe its for the better.

Elin singing while dancing will stay with me til the day I die.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

Michael Hogan phoned in in one of the single worst paycheck jobs (as Gargamel von Samael) I've ever heard in any game, putrid for its lack of effort and understanding of human cadences even when taking the stilted nature of his awful "proportion" obsessed dialogue into account. I thought he was supposed to be an actor yo

Totalizator
Nov 9, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

TheRationalRedditor posted:

Michael Hogan phoned in in one of the single worst paycheck jobs (as Gargamel von Samael) I've ever heard in any game, putrid for its lack of effort and understanding of human cadences even when taking the stilted nature of his awful "proportion" obsessed dialogue into account. I thought he was supposed to be an actor yo

It's even worse because they hired fuckin Norio Wakamoto for the japanese version, and the original beta VA at least TRIED to do a Norio impression. Pretty sad day when you get outclassed by noname VA you were phoned in to replace.

At least he did a better job then whoever voiced Fraya.

:edit: The only well voiced character in the game that has more then one line is Thulsa, the VA puts in the effort all the other characters lack. He even manages to force out a decent sounding monologue from Fraya in that one scene.

Totalizator fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Mar 25, 2013

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Totalizator posted:

Looks like someone played a trick on you!

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

Totalizator posted:

At least he did a better job then whoever voiced Fraya.

That was Claudia Black, which is even more disappointing

Seemenaked
Nov 19, 2003

...but girls already have a vagina between their legs, so they don't gotta trick anyone...

Totalizator posted:

Chris Metzen is the best voice actor of all time :rolleyes:. His work as every bad guy and good guy in WoW really is something. New villain? Go grab the boss and make him do the angry voice.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
Don't skibanymeals~

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

Totalizator posted:

It's even worse because they hired fuckin Norio Wakamoto for the japanese version,
I don't know who that is

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

first Queen piece woo

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

I'm the type of pony everypony should know
The best thing in this game are the dungeons! Especially MCHM! Lots of fun..........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ragDDx9s4fY

Tensei
Nov 24, 2010

All the 8reaths. All of them.

Velveteen posted:

The best thing in this game are the dungeons! Especially MCHM! Lots of fun..........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ragDDx9s4fY

This is the best, I especially like my death at 1:35. Goes to show that if you're full health you can actually survive the stun combo, you just need to start blocking instead of jumping out like I did. :v:

Tensei fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Mar 25, 2013

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

I don't know who that is

Imagine Brian Blessed as an unassuming Japanese man who has been both a martial artist and police riot officer.

Totalizator
Nov 9, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

I don't know who that is

Try this as a sample of what we missed out on

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9V1AEvN8VZs

or just see some of the work he put in jp tera

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7zNaQjxF18

Totalizator fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Mar 25, 2013

Grogsy
Feb 8, 2013

Totalizator posted:

or just see some of the work he put in jp tera

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7zNaQjxF18

Did not understand anything that was said, but I'm pretty sure I just spoiled me some Tera story :^)

UchihaHirou
Mar 8, 2007

Active Skill:
Solves all problems.

Dryzen posted:

There is a streaming downloader for TERA now. If you go here you can choose to download the streaming downloader.

I downloaded the streaming client, but it doesn't seem to work. It's not giving me any error messages after 6 hours of me leaving it sit there overnight. Are there any specific ports I need to open in either my firewall or router?

TardedPanda
Jan 5, 2013
I'm looking into maybe giving this game another shot. I played it at launch and got a warrior up to lvl 54 on CH. I finally quit since most high level zones were almost ghost towns then. It was also a bitch to get into dungeons since it was hard to get a lancer and warrior were unable to queue as a tank.

The OP says there is a goon group on MT. Is this still pretty active? I dont want to reroll a character and end up in another ghost town.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

You don't need to reroll, server transfers are in (even from CH). We have 10-20 people online usually and the server is rather active overall.

KaneTW fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Mar 25, 2013

TardedPanda
Jan 5, 2013

KaneTW posted:

You don't need to reroll, server transfers are in (even from CH). We have 10-20 people online usually and the server is rather active overall.

I'll check that out. I'll probably still make a new warrior just to run in the starter zone and get a feel for the combat again. It sucks to be so far into the game but not remember what the hell to do.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Thanks for the world boss location charts in the offsite, OP. Now I know what the heck I'm doing!

Totalizator
Nov 9, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
We didn't get any cool trailers for QoA2, now did we https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xx4xQ5WwOSA

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp
So I just noticed when I was logging in, there is now a "remember username" checkbox.

That saves me a bunch of laborious keystrokes, it was getting tiring to keep on typing my email.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Chillyrabbit posted:

So I just noticed when I was logging in, there is now a "remember username" checkbox.

Holy poo poo, finally. That was something that was annoying me a whole bunch.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I was just about getting to the point where the launcher not remembering my email would infuriate me enough to complain on some wayward forum somewhere.

It's very awesome.

Phosphia
Jan 29, 2013

Oh you.. :>

Chillyrabbit posted:

That saves me a bunch of laborious keystrokes, it was getting tiring to keep on typing my email.

I can only say I found out about this later than I would have liked as well.

Zaq
Jun 21, 2005

Phosphia posted:

I can only say I found out about this later than I would have liked as well.

They only put it in in the latest patch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Grogsy posted:

Did not understand anything that was said, but I'm pretty sure I just spoiled me some Tera story :^)

Don't worry, it doesn't make any loving sense in game.

At least I could never figure out heads or tails of it. poo poo just seems to happen at random and then you get a cut-scene and then you're supposed to be in an ambush and then nothing happens at gently caress all.

• Locked thread